Start by marking “The Shadow War: A Novel” as Want to Read:
The Shadow War: A Novel

The Shadow War: A Novel

3.29 of 5 stars 3.29  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Abrilliant new talent delivers a sweeping thriller that turns the entire history of America upside down.

Colonial historian Benjamin Wainwright is summoned to asecretive think tank in western Massachusetts by an old school friendwho researches war-game theory. Upon his arrival, Wainwright discovers that his friend is dead and suspected of having leaked information. When the
Published November 23rd 2010 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published November 19th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Shadow War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shadow War

Charles
I really, really, REALLY liked this book! And that says something, because I don't normally read "thrillers" or suspense novels. But this one was so well written and so interesting, not only couldn't I put it down, but I want to go back now and read it again for the clues I missed. This is a smart and literate suspense novel, it's got an original political slant - not the usual right-wing, gung-ho, patriotic swill of Clancy and his crowd - and the writing puts Dan Brown to shame. And I actually ...more
Karyn Gustafson
Quick plot summary: an academic is mysteriously contacted by an old acquaintance, hurries to meet him, and finds his friend dead. Our hero then sets out to solve the mystery of his friend's death following a path of clues in old stories and symbols, meets a beautiful foreign woman, and falls in love. Turns out there's a huge international conspiracy and guess what, a shocking revelation! Hmm, I already read this book, except it was called "The DaVinci Code". The shocking revelation in this versi ...more
Vidya Ananthanarayanan
This took me back to John Le Carre, mostly because it references the Cold War. It's not a spy story, though it is a suspense thriller with plenty of twists and turns to keep you engaged. Of course there's the mandatory Russian woman, and of course, she's gorgeous, and I really liked that Allen weaves in Russian phrases and terms, sometimes in Cyrhillic. In addition, he also makes a connection to the early days of American history, so you travel from Massachusetts to Washington to Siberia.

It's A
Robert
This a very clever explanation for something that occurred many years ago and continues to this day. The author weaves a very intricate web of conspiracy theory taking into account the past and the present. Even with a wild web of conspiracy and a large cast of shadowy characters I was easily capable of following this very intricate thriller. It would be very interesting to see where this author may take us in his future adventures.
Alisa
Emily
Sorry, couldn't even finish it. My sister wanted me to tell her how it was and so I kept trying but I was bored. I'm sure It would have gotten interesting by page 100 or 200, but the Russian words used to make it seem more authentic really bothered me. Plus the writing style for me got really muddled. I would have to read a sentence or paragraph over and over again to catch what it was saying.
Jenalyn
This book was engaging and thrilling, although a little bit difficult to follow at times. I was kind of hoping it would be a bit more epic, but it was still satisfactory. Especially since it hinted at this huge conspiracy but ended up only showing one or two bad guys. Still, I liked the way it made me think. A pretty good read.
Bill Warden
This book really kept moving. There were some parts of it that I didn't care for as much. I won't put in details so as not to spoil the book. In all, GS Allen has written a book that should be along the shelves of other authors like Rollins, Thor, and Meltzer. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Aubrey
I loved this book! I had to stop myself from reading because I had to go to sleep. Its so interesting and dark and it kept me on the edge of my seat! Great book!
Staff Favorites
I loved the fast-paced action, historical accuracy, and (of course) the main character is a librarian.--Ruby
Britt, Book Habitue
An interesting conspiracy theory thriller. Some loose ends, but I think that was intentional.
Angie
My dad recommended this but I couldn't get into it. I might try it again, but probably not.
Angie The Librarian
Couldn't get past chapter 1. Will not come back to it.
Gabriella Araujo
Gabriella Araujo marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Tyler
Tyler marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Claudio
Claudio marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Rich
Rich added it
May 24, 2014
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014
Ronald Sykurski
Ronald Sykurski marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Alyssa
Alyssa added it
Jan 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Master Mechanics & Wicked Wizards: Images of the American Scientist as Hero and Villain from Colonial Times to the Present