The Heavens Before

The Heavens Before (Trilogia Genezei #1)

4.4 of 5 stars 4.40  ·  rating details  ·  245 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Marginalized by society and mistreated by her own family, Annah befriends a young man she's never seen before. Shem is captivated by Annah's courage, and he risks everything to help her gain her freedom. Trusting in the Most High, Annah marries Shem and joins her strange new family in their solitary faith that will ultimately separate them from an ancient world of amazing...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 521 pages
Published July 1st 2007 by Thorndike Press (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Heavens Before, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Heavens Before

Debbie
I have almost given up on fiction retellings of Biblical history as very rarely does an author actually stick to what the Bible states on the subject. Therefore, I was tremendously pleased to read this wonderfully, vividly written story. It stuck faithfully to the Biblically provided information. This author not only is a talented writer, but she put a lot of time, research, and thought into what the pre-Flood world during this time period would be like. I look forward to reading the next book i...more
Lynnette Bonner
I enjoyed this book. The author takes a look at the world as it might have been in Noah's day. All the evil that pervaded the earth and the consequences that was having on nature. She did a good job of making you loathe the characters.

The story follows Annah who watched her brother murder her father when she was only 12 years old. The brother threatened to kill her if she said anything, so she just never spoke at all from that time forward until she met Shem, second son of Noah. Then she learne...more
Katie
I’m giving this book 5 big stars!! :-D I totally loved it!

When I first began this book, I wasn’t sure what to expect. I’ve never read a story about what it was like before the Flood. But Kacy is an amazing author who weaved a touching story effortlessly into history. The story of Annah instantly intrigued me, in that she has not spoken a word to anyone in years. Her silent suffering, that no one in her family cared to ease, was heartbreaking.

The bible doesn’t tell us much of what it was like be...more
Carol
The Heavens Before is the first book the Genesis Trilogy, a continuing story of the people and events beginning with the flood in the book of Genesis. And it draws you in from the first paragraph. I immediately connected Annah, the main character in the book. She seemed so fragile and yet had such a strong character.
Almost as quickly I disliked all her family members, especially her oldest brother, Yerakh. Through the people in Annah's family and the village where she lives, the author helps you...more
Kaity-Jane Culbertson
Let me start by saying this is my all time favorite book. It was incredible, and I have high standards for what I consider a good book - this meets those standards in every way. Enter the life of Annah - a young girl who is stuck amidst the sin and hatred that engulfs the people of the world before the flood. Annah knows the way of the people is corrupted and feels within her that there must be a God out there, hoping that such a God could care for her; unlike her family. Since her father's deat...more
Historyprincess
This is the first Biblical fiction book I've read, and I was not disappointed.

This is a retelling of Noah's ark from the point-of-view of Shem's wife. Annah is a young woman who lives in terror. When she was twelve, her father was strangled by her oldest brother, Yerakh. Ever since, she's been mute and pretended to be simple-minded so Yerakh won't abuse her.

But then, one day at the river, Annah sees two men who are actually kind to one another. She's captivated by the older one, and he by her. A...more
Christian Fiction Addiction
Annah is a young women who lives in the time of Noah, residing among a people who are violent, selfish, having no thoughts for anyone but their own pleasure. She is held in contempt by all, believed to be mindless as she has not spoken since she observed the death of her own father many years before. While down at the riverside, she has a chance encounter with Shem, son of Noah. After she is nearly beaten to death by her brother, Shem rescues her through marriage and brings her to his family. At...more
Rachel Brand
Feb 27, 2009 Rachel Brand rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rachel by: Mum & Diane
This was fictionalised tale of Noah's family in the days during the building of the ark, life during the flood and life after the flood. It is told mainly from the point of view of the wife of one of Noah's sons, and the story starts showing her life in the settlement; a town where murder is nearly an everyday event. Annah, the main character, has not spoken since her brother killed her father and is considered to be stupid. One day when she is at the river, one of Noah's sons spots her and God...more
Rachel
The Heavens Before retells the enthralling biblical account of the Great Flood-as seen through the eyes of a courageous woman. Brought face to face with an ancient evil, Annah dares to believe in the Most High, the God who is nothing more than foolish legend to the people of her settlement. In a world of astonishing beauty and appalling violence, a world unknowingly speeding toward disaster, Annah's choice will have unforeseen consequences.
I was captivated by Annah and her story. Life withing he...more
Helen
Fascinating read. This the first book of a three book series based on the book of Genesis. I struggled with it at first because of the spelling of the names from the Bible and the names of the fictional characters. I came to realize that even though the Biblical parts are accurate, the author has created a whole story surrounding the Biblical account that she probably didn't want to use the actual name of the person since there is so much fiction. I believe she didn't want a non-Bible reader to...more
Phiona Macrae
Kacy Barnett-Gramckow weaves a masterful tale of what life could have been like prior to the great flood of Biblical history. She places us in a world alive with visions outside the imagination. We are offered a glimpse of an Earth completely different yet so much the same as the world we live in now. Through the story of Shem's love for Annah, we find ourselves living through the last days before, during and immediately after the flood.

The Heavens Before is more than just a good Christian ficti...more
Debi
This was a great fictional account of the time of the Flood in Genesis. Though most of this book was purely fictional, the Flood itself was real. The characters in this book were Noah and his family, the story told mostly from the perspective of Shem's wife - before and during her marriage to Shem. It made the account in Genesis come more alive, having people experiencing it. I would highly recommend this book for those who enjoy reading fictional accounts based on characters from the Bible - it...more
Vickie
This book made me think of the story of Noah in some many ways I had not. Through the eyes of his daughter in law, I see how loving his family was, how people thought his family was mad to build the ark, and the preparation it took to get ready for the upcoming flood. The story was well
told and kept my attention to the end.

Tanya
Puts skin on characters from Genesis--Noah and his family. It's written from the point of view of Noah's first daughter-in-law, who is somehow still good though she has grown up with evil all around her. Some parts are not quite believable; for instance, some of the things this woman thinks seem awfully New Testament to me. However, it made me think a bit and it was pretty easy to read. I recommend it for anyone who is fascinated by this Bible story and would like to imagine it more fully.
Cindy Moyer

good book, keeps your attention. easy reading. interesting thoughts.
Robin Livesay
One of the best books I have ever read besides the Bible. I would not be surprised if this was to become a great movie just like the wonderful Passion was. I hope someone gets the smart idea to make that true. Kacy Barnett has a God given talent and I am so glad that I was fortunate that my church had her book and books in stock for me to read. I have read the book three times so far, never get tired of it.
Wen
Dec 02, 2009 Wen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone that likes biblical fiction
This is the 1st of a series called The Genesis Trilogy. This book is set just before the time of the great flood. It is told from the point of view of Annah who becomes Shems wife during the course of the book. (Shem being Noahs middle son) It shows an approximation of what life was like Pre-flood times. I thought it was very well done and am looking forward to reading the remaining books in the series.
Gaile
This is the first of the Genesis Trilogy. I got this in paperback but the next two are nook books. I will not be reading them not because I didn't like this book. I just think one is enough. This one about about the time before, after and during the flood describes a love story between Annah and Shem, a son of Norah. The book is pretty tame and doesn't have much depth to it. Even so, I enjoyed it.
Ashlee
Oh...my...WORD! I had been putting this book off forever, thinking, "It's not really my kind of book," and, oh my goodness gracious, I loved it! It has to be my favorite book of all time! Thank you, Kacy, for writing such an awesome book!

I just started reading 'He Who Lifts The Skies', her second novel to the "series"...I don't know if she can beat the first one! GUess I'll find out.
Kelly
Kacy Barnett-Gramckow spins a story like few authors I have ever read. She takes you through a tale you thought you knew and makes you think further, believe stronger than you did before reading her book. As your read this story you feel the rich Biblical history surrounding you. I highly recommend this fictional read.
Tgirl
I can't believe I found a book that I could rate with 5 huge, shiny stars!!! I've had the hardest time finding books I like, and right when I started this book, I was encaptured in the storyline. I've had nobody retell the time before the Flood like this before... it was amazing.
Gabrielle W.
By far my favorite book series. The story is a retelling of Noah's Ark, told from the perspective of a young woman named Annah. A beautiful romantic biblical fiction.
Joy
My favorite of the trilogy. A new way to think about the Bible. Real people experienced these events--and I tend to read the Bible like a fairy story.
Joan
Slow to start....then, you become absorbed in the characters and this is a tremendous book of Noah and his times.
Amandasaved
Wonderful book, really made me think about how things might have been when the world was young.
Jen
Nov 20, 2011 Jen marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biblical-fiction
wasn't terrible, just lost interest and started something else. May pick it up again to finish.
Val Hanson
This is a story of Noah and the flood told in a way I've never heard before. Loved it!
Audrey
I absolutely loved this book and the two others in this series!
Shanice Deneus
found this book under my bed and its really good
  • Desired: The Untold Story of Samson and Delilah (Lost Loves of the Bible, #2)
  • Petra: City of Stone
  • Love Amid The Ashes (Treasure Of His Love)
  • Abigail (The Wives of King David, #2)
  • A Reluctant Queen: The Love Story of Esther
  • Deborah's Story (Women of the Bible)
  • Havah: The Story of Eve
  • Hadassah: One Night with the King
  • Pearl in the Sand (Harvest of Rubies, #3)
  • The Song of Hannah
  • Wisdom's Daughter: A Novel of Solomon and Sheba
  • Journey to the Well
  • Seven Days to the Sea: An Epic Novel Of The Exodus
  • Jewel of Persia
Some of Kacy's works have appeared devotionals such as Seasons of a Woman's Heart, and God's Abudance for Women. She also has written under the pen name of R.J. Larson, and Elizabeth Larson, as seen in A Moment A Day, and The Women's Devotional Bible.

When Kacy is not relaxing with her books and writing, she is working, cooking, tatting, spoiling other people's kids, and enjoying her family.
More about Kacy Barnett-Gramckow...
He Who Lifts the Skies (Genesis, #2) A Crown in the Stars (Genesis, #3) Dawnlight Genesis Trilogy Series