Start by marking “A Redbird Christmas” as Want to Read:
A Redbird Christmas

A Redbird Christmas

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  8,489 ratings  ·  1,043 reviews
With the same incomparable style and warm, inviting voice that have made her beloved by millions of readers far and wide, New York Times bestselling author Fannie Flagg has written an enchanting Christmas story of faith and hope for all ages that is sure to become a classic.
Audio, 0 pages
Published November 2nd 2004 by Random House Audio (first published January 2004)

Phrynne
A short, sweet book about life in small town America where good things happen to good people and bad things to bad people. A place where everyone eventually meets the love of their life and lives happily ever after. In other words suspend belief all ye who enter here but just settle back and enjoy it for what it is. Not every book you read has to be a literary masterpiece!
Ashley
Better than warm chocolate chip cookies and a fire in the fireplace, Fannie Flagg always makes me feel good about the world and people in general. A Redbird Christmas tells a very touching story about a man on the brink of death in Chicago who is advised to move South to a more temperate climate or risk dying from pneumonia. With only a medical pension, he cannot afford Florida, but he can afford to rent a room on the Lost River in Alabama where, for the first time in his life, he finds a home ...more
Tricia
What a talented writer. I don't usually enjoy the run of the mill, sappy sweet Christmas stories, but lucky for me this wasn't one of them. While the story is very sweet, it isn't predictable. The characters are varied, and like-able, and the story moves quickly, and stays interesting. A great Christmas story.
Jenny
Absolutely the best Christmas book ever! It's sweet, funny and touching. I've read it 4 times and given copies to friends. Fannie Flagg herself reads the audio version and I hear she's working on a movie version. I vote for William H. Macy for the lead.
Serendipity Reviews
I am so glad that I managed to find this gorgeous little book by Fannie Flagg, it really did give me a glow in my heart. Fannie Flagg is one of those authors who makes you believe that miracles really do happen. Her books are just so heartwarming to read and full of surprises and wonder.

This is a rather short book but packed full to the brim of interesting and heartwarming characters. The book begins with Oswald, a depressed former alcoholic who has been given months to live. After reading a br
Kandice
I audio-ed this and for anyone who has read Flagg and is familiar with her friendly style of story telling I cannot recommend listening to her read her won books enough. I grew up in West Virginia so Flagg’s accent reminds me of any number of my relatives. She sounds so sweet and forgiving even when describing someone on a drinking binge. You know what I mean, like when someone talks about how dumb or ugly someone is, but throws a “bless their heart” in every once in a while to take away the sti ...more
Steven Howes
I was a bit disappointed by this offering from Fannie Flagg as I have read several of her other books and enjoyed them a great deal. While this is one of those feel good kind of stories that would make a good made-for-tv "Christmas special", it is just a little too sappy for my liking. Everything just comes together all too predictably and too wonderfully in the end. Perhaps I missed something and this book was written for kids.

The characters are interesting and likeable and the book touches on
Rusty Henrichsen
This is just a delightful book. I first read a condensed version about three years ago and then got the book on Amazon. It's about a man who is given a death sentence by his doctor. He changes locations, lifestyles and interests and along the way runs into a delightful little girl.

Two quotes: "On the way back home, Oswald thought about it and wondered which was worse, being an accordion player or being an alcoholic. He figured it was a toss-up." (page 95)
"The only time he did not fish was on Sat
Ann
Predictable. Dripping with cliche. Gaggably sappy.

Dying man is cured. Crippled orphan girl is healed and gets a mommy and a daddy. Broken-hearted bachelor finally gets to marry the true love of his youth. Spinster finds true love. Dead bird that everyone loved comes back (sort of) as a Christmas miracle. Do I need to go on?

The rest of my book club LOVED it. What does that say about me? About my book club? Not sure.
Elizabeth
This book is so uplifting, comforting and heartwarming.

I want to spend some time in Lost River, Alabama. I want to meet the characters in this book and share a potluck supper with them.

Nidhi
Sweet, heart-warming Christmas story of people of Lost River, Alabama. I loved how Patsy and Jack were on their birthdays. It got me misty-eyed.
Nicole
This was the perfect little Christmas book to read beside the Christmas tree while looking out the back window at the seven inches of snow we got and waiting for my family to arrive for our holiday celebration.

Oswald T. Campbell lives in Chicago with no friends, no family, and nothing to look forward to. At his annual check-up, his doctor tells his that after decades of smoking, his lungs are about shot and that a winter sickness will do him in. With a grim outlook, Oswald finds himself headed t
Sidna
What a perfect little Christmas book! A friend who enjoys Fannie Flagg's writing as much as I do lent me her copy of this book. At 207 pages, I could have read this small square book in one sitting, but I started it too late at night so I had finish it the next day.

The book begins in Chicago in November with Oswald T. Campbell going through the cold and snow for his annual medical check-up. Oswald is 52 years old and has been a heavy smoker and an alcoholic. His life has not been a happy one, st
Laurie Carlson
This story takes place over the time frame of 2 Christmas'.
A man moves down to Southern Alabama based upon the advice of his Doctor and a pamphlet his doctor gave him. The pamphlet ended up being from the early 1900's, but the man still decided to move there and give it a go because his health supposedly was guaranteed to get better. He had some severe breathing disorders and this place was in an area that was known to help him breathe better.
He got to this small town and they took him in as if
Carly Svamvour
This one came up for a discussion many moons ago - guess it was around Christmas . . . duh . . . I'm just getting around to listening to my audio version now.

I like the way it's kind of serious yet light and funny at the same time.

I like the way the old guy described how he never seemed to fit into the world - how he was probably born with odd socks, etc.

.............

I'll add to my review when I'm a little farther along . . . or finished entirely.

I finished listening to it tonight - delightful
Ricki Jill Treleaven
When I picked-up a copy of Fannie Flagg's latest book entitled The All-Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion from the store, the saleslady asked me if I'd ever read Flagg's A Redbird Christmas. When I told her I had not, she said that it's one of her favorite Christmas stories, and she rereads it every year during the holidays. Well, I had to find a copy, and I'm so happy I did!

Deep in the southernmost part of Alabama, along the banks of a lazy winding river, lies the sleepy little community known
Anne
Although a little over-sweet and filled with characters that seem just a little too good to be true, A Redbird Christmas is the perfect pick-me-up read for this time of the year. Settled inside, in front of the fire with some hot chocolate and a mince pie or two and pick up this story - and dont put it down until you've finished it.
Fannie Flagg has conjured a small town full of larger than life characters who welcome our hero, Oswald Campbell with open arms. Oswald wants to spend some time away
SaraJayne
This was a fast, easy read; lighthearted (mostly) and a heart-warming tale. There was enough suspense in the middle to keep me going - into the wee hours, in fact. The author made us care about the characters, such that at the end, I even shed a (view spoiler) tear or two.

There isn't a lot of meat to this book, so I wouldn't recommend it for book clubs (now that I've read it ... it was me who found this on a list of Christmas books here on GoodReads and suggested it to my b
Ana Rebelo
Acho que só não atribui uma estrela a este livro porque o consegui acabar sem que ele se tornasse muito aborrecido. No entanto, este livro não tem uma história muito cativante, nem sequer conclui de forma a trazer alguma finalidade aos protagonistas. Oswall T Campbell, a personagem principal, está supostamente à beira da morte e o médico aconselha-o a mudar de cidade, para um local mais amplo e calmo. Ele muda-se para Rio Perdido e integra-se na comunidade. Sem fazer grandes menções ao resto da ...more
Phoebe
Oswald has nothing to live for: no family, friends, job or health. Living in the cold of Chicago has worsened his lung condition so his doctor suggests he move to a warmer area. With nothing to lose and nowhere else to go, he moves Lost River, Alabama. Not only does his health improve but he also makes friends and finds passion in life.

A Redbird Christmas is a feel good story full of hope. It was a quick read and, like all of her other stories, the characters were warm and friendly. This is a go
Denise
Thanks Virginia, for sending this to Sydney! I pretty much just sat down & read this in one go & thoroughly enjoyed it.

This is an old-fashioned, uplifting story of how a loving community can shape the lives of the people within them. It felt like a Christmas story in the "It's a Wonderful Life" kind of way, with a lot of sassy Southern women healing neighbors via mac & cheese, as well as simple & grand acts of kindness.

By the way, I made the mac & cheese (there are recipes at
Jenny

A lovely heartwarming storey about a man who moves to the small Southern community of Lost River after his doctor tells him he will not survive the winter if he stays in Chicago. I found this to be a really nice light refreshing read. Even though it was simple and maybe even predictable I absolutely adore it and would recommend it to anyone who want something to give them that warm hopeful Christmas feeling.
Beth

A Redbird Christmas is typical Fannie Flagg- a heartwarming, tear-jerking story about small-town America, set in a Norman Rockwell concept of humanity.

That sounds trite, but I actually enjoy her stories. They're easy to read, and always end on a note of hope. In this case, I think they also carry a little extra charm for artistic and painterly types, birders, and fans of the South (especially Alabama).

The setting is quaint and the people made me smile, and Fannie Flagg can definitely turn a phra
Atlantis
Cute, short and sweet, with plenty of small town charm. I was not as enraptured with the whole "Redbird" thing and the fact that Jack was allowed to run free in the grocery store was enough to make me not want to shop there. However, he did give plenty of joy and entertainment to people and gave a young girl happiness when she really needed it.
Karen
3.5 stars really. I love Fannie Flagg and her small town cast of characters. Every time I read her books I feel like I've been dropped into an episode of Golden Girls. This book is a quick read with a feel good message. If you like Fannie Flagg's other books (and Can't Wait to Get to Heaven is my favorite) you'll enjoy this one too.
Jenn
This book was OK - just ok. A little too mushy for my taste but a very quick and easy read for book club. I feel like it would be a nice book for my 11 year old daughter to read - nice story - just a little too nice for my taste - I feel bad writing that because I do like nice and I did not dislike the book - it was just ok.
Marleen
What a lovely read! I finished it in one evening and totally fell in love with this story and all the characters. This is my second Fannie Flagg book; and now I really want - I really need - to read all her books.
This book is homy and cozy and comforting. It's totally heart-warming!
Terri White
This is a most heartwarming book. A man who has always felt like an outcast is told by his doctor that he only has a short time to live thanks to emphysema and years of neglecting his health. The doctor tells him to get out of Chicago and go to a warmer climate before winter because a bout of pneumonia will be fatal. So Oswald T. Campbell ends up in the town of Lost River, Alabama. As always, Fannie Flagg entertains us with eccentric and colorful characters. This book is very charming and everyo ...more
Jeanette
To be completely, brutally honest, this book just bored me. I just could not get into the characters or the storyline as is evidenced by how long it took me to read this little book. I usually somewhat enjoy Flagg's quirky characters and settings but not this time.
Loraine
Loved this Christmas novel by Fannie Flagg. Her writing is sweet, slow and poignant just like her Alabama setting. Definitely makes me look forward to the joyfulness and love of the Christmas season.
Bookworm Bitches : December 2013: A Redbird Christmas 31 93 Dec 28, 2013 09:40AM
College English 6 48 Oct 04, 2013 11:14AM
  • The Christmas Tree
  • The Christmas Bus
  • The Christmas Clock
  • The Paper Bag Christmas
  • The Christmas Hope (Christmas Hope, #3)
  • The Christmas Scrapbook: A Harmony Story (Harmony, #6.5)
  • Christmas with Tucker
  • Christmas at The Mysterious Bookshop
  • Call Me Mrs. Miracle
  • All I Want for Christmas
  • Finding Noel
  • The Christmas Angel (Cape Light #6)
  • The Christmas Wish
  • The Christmas Train
Fannie Flagg began writing and producing television specials at age nineteen and went on to distinguish herself as an actress and writer in television, films, and the theater.

She is the author of the New York Times bestsellers Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man, Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe (which was produced by Universal Pictures as Fried Green Tomatoes), Welcome to the World, Baby G
More about Fannie Flagg...
Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe The All-Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion Welcome to the World, Baby Girl! (Elmwood Springs, #1) Can't Wait to Get to Heaven (Elmwood Springs, #3) Standing in the Rainbow (Elmwood Springs, #2)