Start by marking “Learn to Earn: A Beginner's Guide to the Basics of Investing” as Want to Read:
Learn to Earn: A Beginner's Guide to the Basics of Investing

Learn to Earn: A Beginner's Guide to the Basics of Investing

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  684 ratings  ·  49 reviews

Audio, 0 pages
Published March 1st 1996 by Simon & Schuster Audio (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Learn to Earn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Learn to Earn

Richard Stephenson
I would recommend this one - especially to High School young adults. Note: it's a bit behind-the-times, but the philosophies presented are timeless.

I was almost turned away once I found out it was written for a bit younger crowd, but I gave it a chance and was pleased with the results. There is a ton of history, good examples, and conversational-style lessons taught in a pleasing manner. Since I had *0* experience with investing stuffs, this beginners approach was useful for me.

...and BIG kudos
Yoga Prakasa
Jul 23, 2008 Yoga Prakasa rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Investing beginners
Shelves: finance
This book holds sentimental value to me, for it introduced me to the world of investment. A world which, later, not only becomes a personal interest but also a professional one. I started my first investment in stocks and mutual funds shortly after I finished the book. Fast forward, I started my career five years later in an Indonesian state-owned investment bank in the equity research department.

In this book, Peter Lynch starts with a brief history of what would become Corporate America and lat
Shunnosuke Yelich Kanematsu
This book is a great for kids to read and understand the concept of investing. In this book, the author is Peter Lynch, who is an investing mastermind. Lynch graduated from Boston College in 1965 with a degree in finance. He served two years in the military before attending and graduating from the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania with a Master of Business Administration in 1968. As you can probably guess, yes, he is one of the richest people in this planet. Everything the book me ...more
Nick
I read this book twice, at the age of 9 and 13 (as it was recommended to me by my father, of course). English is not my mother tongue and despite the lack of fluency at that age I was still able to understand absolutely everything in that book and take away the most important message. It is, in my humble opinion, one of the best books out there for people with no particular knowledge of finance/investing to understand the fundamental basics of investing with equities. In addition to that, the bo ...more
Eugene Tan
A real classic book, written more than 20 years ago, in 1995!

As the book title suggests, "A Beginner's Guide to the Basics of Investing and Business", this book was written, assuming that the reader has absolutely no prior knowledge of Investing and Business. It is mainly targeted at teenagers to young working adults, who are beginning to explore the financial world.

Despite it being an extremely novice book, I had chosen to give it 4/5 stars for the sheer simplicity that the book has in conveyi
Dhruv Goel
It's starting chapter "A Brief History of Capitalism" was amazing. Well, it starts and end with the history of US, but if we look from the point of view of businesses, it tells the story of several failed and many prosperous enterprises. By only reading this chapter you come to know how demand changed and so the companies around, how people tried to bend the law and how that was rectified, what important legislation was created to implement a liberal economy with minimal harm to public, like lif ...more
Srinivas
Jun 08, 2010 Srinivas is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This book was practically thrust on me during my last trip off the grid. I was so reluctant to read it that I started randomly at some page. That page had interesting anecdotes from history, and I was hooked. Well, I'm always game for a good story :)
It talked about a lot of historical events; how the pilgrims got their financing to reach the 'New World', how they practically established the American way of life; How Thomas Jefferson's views on banking were completely wrong, and how an on-the-run
Anna
I got a job working for the Fidelity Charitable Gift Fund and felt that I should read something by the guy who started it all, for good measure. It was a quick read. Likeable, but simple.

The first part is a history of Capitalism in the U.S. It's okay, but far inferior to John Steele Gordon's "An Empire of Wealth: The Epic History of American Economic Power." If you're interested in this subject, don't even bother reading Lynch's version.

The rest, about investing in good companies, what makes a
Dio Aufa Handoyo
Great intro book for beginners. Written in layman's terms with some practical items included. Presents a compelling case for capitalism. It would be interesting to see an analysis on how the arguments for going long on stocks holds up after the 1999 and 2008 crises, due to the great volatility history has shown.
Abhinay
This book has a very easy going tone to it and though it dates back to 1995, I've found the historical parts very informative. That apart, Peter Lynch shares a lot of examples with regard to different paradigms in investing, with a final message advising us to think for the longer term. So there you go, no scalping :)
Alvin Lim
Mutual-fund superstar Peter Lynch and author John Rothchild explain the basic principles of investing and business in a primer that will enlighten and entertain anyone who is high-school age or older. Many investors, including some with substantial portfolios, have only the sketchiest idea of how the stock market works. The reason, say Lynch and Rothchild, is that the basics of investing -- the fundamentals of our economic system and what they have to do with the stock market -- aren't taught in ...more
Josip
A good book to learn the basics of capitalism and the stock market. If you are expecting some magic tips about stock picking you'll be disappointed. The number one suggestion is patience and buying when nobody else is.
Gmarik
Very gentle introduction into world of business. Didn't learn much, but it'd be a good introduction book to start with

The author dislikes communists and is a big fan of US government from business perspective.
Todd Gack
A great intro to the ins and outs of the stock market. Should be required high school reading material.
С. Бат-Очир
Линч гэж энэ хүний хувцьааны зах зээл дээр тоглож мөнгө хийж байсан туршлагааса бичсэн ном.
Dina Strange
I like P. Lynch, but he shouldn't be quitting his day job.
Josh Kelly
Written in an annoyingly elementary in style but the content was actually pretty interesting. Lynch and rothchild are right, perhaps because my Econ teacher in high school was terrible, that I didn't have a basic history of capitalism or an understanding of the life of a successful company. Also their section in appendix 2 on how to read a balance sheet was really useful. I recommend this book for anyone who doesn't have a basic understanding of capitalism, te stock market, corporations, or econ ...more
Juan Guerrero Martinez
Great

it was a great book, the first book I have read. I been studying the stock market for a year and a half since I have no money and knew many things about but this book made me open my mind a bit more. Good thing I read this book, I'm going to keep reading before I put money in the market . I recommend this book to anyone who is interested being a shareholder.
Dimitar
With a caveat - while a bit outdated now, this is an inspiring book for someone who has no experience in the business/investment world.
Hemant Manwani
nice book for beginners, it will not teach you any technical analysis and general human response to market behaviour in depth. But it is definitely good introduction to financial markets. One should go through it, as this book is contains good description of US success stories.

one chapter of this book is completely dedicated to economic history of US, which is a nice information one should go through.

Over all i really liked this book.
Zaltwater Taffy:)
Sep 28, 2007 Zaltwater Taffy:) rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who love their fancy cars
Learn to Earn was more of a story/lecture on how to delay instant gratification. It teaches you about pateince, and as my Dad likes to quote, to "try and have enough discipline to wait for the second marshmallow." (you have to read the book to understand this). It gives good examples of how so many people spend their money to impress people with things they want, but don't really need. It teaches you the wisdom of "living beneath your means."
Gopinath Manchikanti
This is a wonderful book and the apt name would be ' History and Basics of Stocks'
Coz it goes way back in the history when capitalism was born and how it emerged into multi trillion dollar market.
This book gives basic understanding of a lot of things a beginner investor should know.
Definitely worth reading.
Mark Powell
I agree with Peter, bonds are not where it's at. I would disagree with him on one thing though; you CAN time the market. That's how all those Wallstreeters get rich. There's really only one rule: "buy low, sell high!" The term "long term horizons" is meant simply one you use when your investing someone else's money...
Ryan Tomkins
Good optimistic view of capitalism. Broad overview of the skill set needed for stock picking.
Scott
A good primer for the history of capitalism in America, but is more of a 'rah-rah - go stock investing!' kind of book. Interesting though! The exuberance of the 90s is clear throughout, and the tone is for high schoolers - perfect if there are questions about how the stock market works.
Dhaval
This is a basic premier to fundamentals of investing. Some of the sections are outdated, but most of the basic concepts are valuable. Its a must read for anyone looking to get started with studying the stock market, or someone who heads a head start to start investing.
Stephen Pike
Great information spread throughout the book. The back story of the stock market was very interesting although at times I felt I was getting more of a history lesson than learning about stocks.
Jeremy
Solid introduction into the world of the stock-market. A somewhat lengthy and seemingly unnecessary introduction into the history of the stock market, but interesting nonetheless.
Stacy Boyd
Honestly, I couldn't make it through this book. The Shock Doctrine was too much in my mind. I couldn't buy the whole "capitalism makes the world a better place" idea. Oh, well.
Tarin Bansal
Good book for beginner level info on investing and stocks.
  • The Little Book of Value Investing
  • The Interpretation of Financial Statements: The Classic 1937 Edition
  • The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need
  • Warren Buffett Speaks: Wit and Wisdom from the World's Greatest Investor
  • Stocks for the Long Run
  • Value Investing: From Graham to Buffett and Beyond
  • The Aggressive Conservative Investor
  • Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits and Other Writings
  • Buffettology: The Previously Unexplained Techniques That Have Made Warren Buffett the World's Most Famous Investor
  • Common Sense on Mutual Funds: New Imperatives for the Intelligent Investor
  • Margin of Safety: Risk-Averse Value Investing Strategies for the Thoughtful Investor
  • A Short History of Financial Euphoria
  • The Little Book That Still Beats the Market
  • Theory of Investment Value
  • The Warren Buffett Way: Investment Strategies of the World's Greatest Investor
  • Financial Shenanigans: How to Detect Accounting Gimmicks & Fraud in Financial Reports
  • What Works on Wall Street: A Guide to the Best-Performing Investment Strategies of All Time
  • Contrarian Investment Strategies: The Classic Edition
Peter Lynch is an American businessman and stock investor. Lynch graduated from Boston College in 1965 and earned a Master of Business Administration from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania in 1968.

Lynch worked at Fidelity Investments where named head of the then obscure Magellan Fund which had $18 million in assets. By the time Lynch resigned as a fund manager in 1990, the fund
More about Peter Lynch...
One Up On Wall Street: How To Use What You Already Know To Make Money In The Market Beating the Street Wildlife & Conservation Volunteering, 2nd: The Complete Guide The Church's Story: A History of Pastoral Care and Vision Snp: The History of the Scottish National Party