Start by marking “Under Cover” as Want to Read:
Under Cover

Under Cover

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  618 ratings  ·  52 reviews
Based on John's live presentation of the Biblical principles he explored in the book by the same title, Under Cover will help you undertake a serious, Holy Spirit led study of God's authority. Your shield of faith will be strengthened by Biblical awareness in order to protect you from some of the most dangerous arrows of the enemy.
Published November 13th 2001 by Thomas Nelson (first published April 10th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Under Cover, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Under Cover

Deborah
Dangerous and down right injurious teaching based more on Old Testament hierarchy then the New Testament church structure of Christ as head. Such flawed logic/doctrine, at one point equates the authority of the minister in a church to that of a king. Other equally disturbing stretches and uses of scripture taken out of context.

Karen Wong
Are you struggling to submit to leaders at home, work, church or government?
This book will help you understand through scriptures why and how we should submit to authority as God commands.

When reading or listening to John Bevere one cannot go away unchallenged. It is not because he himself challenges us but it is because he presents God’s word as the pure and irrefutable truth.

As Bevere describes in the first section of his book, the purpose of the message conveyed in it is “to reveal to us the...more
Brian
This book is very dangerous. I believe the Bevere is a sincere Christian who is trying to teach biblical principles, and I have read other books of his that I have enjoyed. However, the hermeneutics used in this book are very poor. Many of the scriptures supplied are forced into his predetermined paradigm.

What seems to be the main point is that you should follow your leaders and never ask questions. He talks about how leaders are ultimately the only ones responsible for the actions the ask you...more
Robert
Apr 21, 2013 Robert rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians who wants to submit to God completely.
I recommend this to all Christians who lacks submission to God!

I never regret reading this book and give it 5 stars. SUBMISSION TO AUTHORITY is the main focus of this book which was a great thing to ponder especially to those who are reluctant and tough to God's commands. We don't own our life, it's for God not for this world. We have to submit to Him wholeheartedly and also with those who have higher authority over us whether they may be our own parents, employers, church leaders, government le...more
Misty Broqi
This was definitly a God send. It was about how you should honor and obey authority and the consequences if you don't. He provides plenty of examples of those in the bible who did and didn't. This really spoke to me I think God is trying to reveal how much of a rebellious attitude I have had that has begun since I was 3 or 4 and how because of it I have not grown as spiritually as I would like. I'm going to try to be more submissive to Salvador and to those who are over me including my director...more
Kacicalvaresi
I'm kind of shocked by all the five star ratings. John should leave the writing to Lisa. The book contained some amazing points, but the bulk of what I took away came from the Biblical research I did on my own. After reading the Biblical references in the book I kept going to my Bible and finding that scriptures were used to back up his opinions as opposed to his writing backing up scripture.
Bernadette
This book is very remarkable on its way of pushing people to hear the voice of God through every word. I would say that every word in this book counts.
I'm only on page 94 but it feels like I'm on the verge of revealing the plot. BUT I have to remember that this is not a story but is a compilation of the author's testimonies.

This is definitely food for my soul. :)
Lindsey
This book is AMAZING! It changed the way I viewed so many things. This book is packed with scripture and God has really given John Bevere wisdom.
Chesney Schilling
John Bervere teaches on the touchy subject of authority and opens eyes to the blessings you get when you submit.
Adrienna
This book spoke on obedience, subjected under authority, and disobedience and how these factors can have a bearing on your life's decisions and loose out on your very blessings and covering under God. The chapter(s) that spoke the most to me and highlighted or marked up my book, where I was so receptive to its teachings was Chapter 5 and especially Chapter 6 on "the Consequences of Disobedience 1 and 2". I was also able to see my own flaws, faults, and disobedience that may have been overlooked...more
Shiloh
Jan 05, 2010 Shiloh rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Shiloh by: Brian and Lisa Skaggs
Excellent
Wes Holton
Challenging and powerful. John Bevere explores authority from a biblical perspective, starting with the authority of God and going through His delegated authority in various forms. The church, government, our homes, jobs. Our response to authority can change the direction of our life and either strengthen or dwindle our faith. Most helpful for me was the discussion of gifting in relation to authority. We have various giftings and abilities, but these do not necessarily give us authority. The pos...more
Erin
Sep 02, 2008 Erin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone seeking to understand true spiritual authority
This was an amazing book that God trul convicted me through in the area of submission, and God showed me His truths through it. He showed me just how serious Jesus was in regard to submission and rebellion. God showed me that He also wants us to submit in the family unit-to our parents-regardless if they are saved yet or not. I realized through John Bevere's personal example of being blinded by rebellion towards parents that God truly places His wisdom on them even if they aren't saved. He place...more
Ruth
The is another excellent book by John Bevere. It explores and highlight the absolute necesity for the Christian to walk in obedience to God. It explains what will happen to those who disobry God and the protection that is freely availible to the Christian who chooses to live a life of obedience to God. The light of God's word exposes deception and discerns the thoughts and intentions of the hearts of men.
On the subject of the consequences of disobedience Bevere says 'He (God) lifts his hand of p...more
Lucas Cherry
This may be the book that has impacted me the most other than the Bible. How we deal with authority is so important. If we remove ourselves from that protection we better watch out!
Brett
John Bevere brings Biblically sound, practical teaching to a new level in his book, Under Cover. In this book, he shows how one can stay under the covering of God, and also some of the ways Satan uses to strip God's covering from believers without them even realizing it. One example is that speaking against the ruler of one's people causes God to pull His covering away, since a critical, rebellious spirit is being brought against the one God appointed to rule, even if he or she rules poorly. Th...more
Eddy Perez
after reading this book change my thoughts at my work place .made me more a servant with a heart
Mark DeJesus
An amazing book that every church needs to read and go through together.
Melissa
I'm completely surprised by what John Bevere wrote. Not because it is something new but because it is something that most of us Christians--me included--have overlooked.

What I learned from this book is that to be truly under the covering of the Lord, one has to obey His commands which seems easy but actually hard to do in real life. Still there are no buts and ifs with the Lord. It requires total submission to His authority and to the authorities that He has set upon us.

Quite an eye opener.
Faith
Jul 19, 2009 Faith is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This is the new book we're reading in my women's group at church. We're up to chapter 3 & 4 and so far I'm really enjoying it. This book is all about being under God's divine authority and how to respect and obey God's delegated authorities in our lives even at times when we think we're right and they're wrong (as long as it doesn't go against God's commands). I'm looking forward to future discussions and reading further through this book and will update this as we go along.
Kerry
This book is a must read for anyone wanting to get closer to God. It sheds light in dark areas we may never have realized were a part of us. We are ALL called to be in submission and obedience to God as well as others appointed over us. By reading this, the Holy Spirit has convicted me in some areas that I unknowingly was not completely submitted in. Through my repentance and faith, I will walk in victory in these areas. (Thanks John Bevere for this awesome book)
Anna
Second only to the Bible, the book that has contributed most to my view of God and how coming under that covering is not only essential but desirable, very contradictory to our culture and what I believed/lived before. Each time I read it, God continues to work in me and shave of more of the areas I cling to, and as I strive to walk in obedience He answers with redemption, healing, and miracles I could not have imagined in myself and my family.
Latonya
I never truly understood the value and the importance of honoring and respecting authority until I read this book. Even if leadership is bad, the Word of God tells us to honor and be respecful. No authority is given accept that which God allows. We may not always understand, but God is sovereign and knows what He is doing. When we submit to authority, we are under God's covering.
Dayna
This book was fantastic and taught me how important it is to respect and submit to authority God has put over me so that he can protect me. So often we think life is a democracy (our society is, of course) but my ultimate reality is God's kingdom and there is no democracy there (hence KING).
Estela
An awesome book about staying undercover and obeying God. A life-transformimg message about hope.
A word for all believers who desire to walk in the fullness and character of God.
Staying under the shadow of the Almighty!

Charles
I first watched John's DVD title "Relating to Authority". I've watched the two DVDs at least 8 times, and I'm not done!
The book goes right in line but has more detail and covers a bit more topics. Awesome! A must!
Maria D
Under Cover is an excellent read on the consequences of our actions, whether they are of obedience or disobedience. Obedience, honor, faith and submission are all a part of this amazing book.
Dj Wade-o
This is an an excellent book. It convicted me on many levels. I highly recommend this for leaders especially. You can't lead if you don't know how to submit to God's authority.
Cathy
This book is such a revelation on the subject of authority. Every leader should read this first then have it as a mandatory read for their staff, in and out of the church.
Brandi McPeak
Reading this book was a reminder of many sermons I have seen but to read it and allow it to soak it was great! This is much needed information and very eye opening!
  • The God Chasers: My Soul Follows Hard After Thee
  • The Three Battlegrounds: An In-Depth View of the Three Arenas of Spiritual Warfare: The Mind, the Church and the Heavenly Places
  • Intercessory Prayer: How God Can Use Your Prayers to Move Heaven & Earth
  • Fight Like a Girl: The Power of Being a Woman
  • A Tale of Three Kings
  • The Unquenchable Worshipper: Coming Back to the Heart of Worship
  • When Heaven Invades Earth: A Practical Guide to a Life of Miracles
  • Rediscovering the Kingdom: Ancient Hope for Our 21st Century World
  • The Final Quest
  • Good Morning, Holy Spirit
  • They Shall Expel Demons: What You Need to Know about Demons—Your Invisible Enemies
  • Secrets of the Secret Place: Keys to Igniting Your Personal Time with God
  • Beauty for Ashes: Receiving Emotional Healing
  • Fresh Power: Experiencing the Vast Resources of the Spirit of God
  • The Blessed Life: The Simple Secret of Achieving Guaranteed Financial Results
  • Kingdom Man: Every Man's Destiny, Every Woman's Dream
  • Victory Over the Darkness
  • So You Want to Be Like Christ?: Eight Essentials to Get You There
Marked by boldness and passion, John Bevere delivers uncompromising truth through his award-winning curriculums and bestselling books, now in more than 60 languages, including "The Bait of Satan," "Drawing Near" and "Driven by Eternity." He is an international speaker and co-host of "The Messenger" TV program broadcast worldwide.

John enjoys living in Colorado Springs with his wife, Lisa, also a b...more
More about John Bevere...
The Bait Of Satan: Living Free from the Deadly Trap of Offense Driven by Eternity: Making Your Life Count Today & Forever Drawing Near: A Life of Intimacy with God The Fear of the Lord: Discover the Key to Intimately Knowing God (Inner Strength Series) Breaking Intimidation: Say "No" Without Feeling Guilty.  Be Secure Without the Approval of Man