Start by marking “The Two Pound Tram” as Want to Read:
The Two Pound Tram

The Two Pound Tram

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  156 ratings  ·  25 reviews

"Our dream, our obsession, was to own a tram. This all started with an advertisement which showed a picture of a London tram with the words: 'Trams surplus to the requirements of the London Omnibus and Tramcar company for sale at their depot at Acton, London for £2 each.' I doubt if there was a day afterwards when the tram did not enter our conversation..."

The year was 193

Published October 1st 2010 by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Two Pound Tram, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Two Pound Tram

MiniSagas
I picked this one up on a whim in the library. It's short -- I read it in an hour or two -- and almost, but not quite entirely, fluffy.

It is a heart warming, yet somewhat sad and disturbing, tale set in the 1930s about the friendship and adventures of two brothers, who, neglected and ignored by their parents, decide to run away and buy a tram.
Brenda
A lovely tale involving two brothers woven around those long peaceful idyllic days in the late 1930's. A time when children could go out to play and be gone all day with no one having to worry too much about them - definitely a touch of an Enid Blyton adventure here as the boys go off to London in search of a tram that they had seen advertised for £2. Having not taken into consideration how they were going to transport a tram back to Sussex they eventually purchase a horse drawn one, minus horse ...more
Marilou
May 25, 2010 Marilou rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: WWII fans, Anglophiles, brothers
This delightful book is a moving portrait of WWII England and of brotherly love. The author recently died and his obituary in the Telegraph http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obitu... is what drew me to this book. It's poignant, melancholy, funny, curious, sad and comforting all at once. The author penned this little book in his 70s. His obituary reads like a novel in itself. Read it on a rainy day when you don't mind being a little melancholy. It's a reflection on the passage of time and the event ...more
Lizzy Stewart
This book totally snuck up on me and turned into something lovely. I was initially unsure of the slightly stilted, factual narrative and the swift pacing but once I'd relaxed into it it proved a real treat! The story of two brothers who buy a tram in wartime britain and run it up and down the seaside towns of the Kent coast, this makes for a fun, easy holiday read with plenty of cockle-warming and gun-ho, jolly hockey-sticks adventure.
Stephanie
Judging by other reviews on Amazon, this is a Marmite book that people either adore or don't get at all. Personally, I'm in the 'underwhelmed' camp! The story is an fanciful tale of two boys running away from home and buying an ancient horse-drawn tram with which they make their living. So far, so good, but I found the book so lacking in emotional detail and depth that the events described were unbelievable. The boys seem to easily float from one town to another and when crises do occur, there's ...more
Catherine Kane
Jul 13, 2007 Catherine Kane rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
I usually am not interestd in old time books ,but i didnt really have a choice so i read it. From the first paragraph i had already began to understand. I learned that how you should keep memories forever.
Georgia White

This book was a really refreshing light read, it is very diferant to the genre i usally go for, however I found I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

This story follows the life of 2 brothers, Wilfred and Duncan and their journey from running away from home to buying a tram (for 2 pounds).

This story is set in England so i found it very relatable and is placed just before WW1. It was amazing how much went on in just 200 pages, so much so that you feel as though you have truly gone t
Kay
Oct 26, 2009 Kay added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult
this was a heartwarming gem!
Janet
Wilfred, who is younger than his brother by 18 months, and Duncan leave home shortly after Duncan's 16th birthday and head for London to buy a tram. After realising they can't buy an electric one, they purchase a horse-drawn tram and a retired rag-and-bone horse and set off on their journey.

After a brush with the law in Canterbury (where they pick up a young part-Romany girl who decides to travel with them), they end up in Worthing on the south coast where they get involved with the War effort,
Jori Richardson
This is the life story of two English brothers during Hitler's rise to power before World War II. Wilifred is the smart younger brother who selflessly and loyally takes care of his older brother, Duncan, who was rendered mute by a childhood illness. Their dream of buying a tram develops into them living in one, with various complications.
This book has no plot whatsoever. And the author seems incapable of making his characters develop or grow up - even when the two characters are about 18, they s
Symon Lagao
I just have to share this. I actually bought this book really cheap. Admittedly, I never read this book until I have nothing to do.

The story sets way back during the Second World War and in London. I do know something about the said event; however, as I have been living on the other side of the continent, I asked myself a thousand times (exaggerated), what the hell is a tram? What is a two-pound tram? Then I realized, it wasn't about the pound, the weight I thought it was. It was about the curre
marise
Very touching and realistic book.
Although there is a lot of pain and misfortune, this book is simply magical.
The end is what got to me the most.
Meredith
Short, yet thought provoking and powerful.
Tony Hoft
Thoroughly good holiday afternoon read!
Shonna Froebel
Memoir of a boy and his brother managing on their own after emotional abandonment by their parents, in World War II.
Sad, but inspiring.
Meredith
A sweet tongue-in-cheek adventure, memoir-style. So many events and turns in the lives of the characters will probably prevent any close feeling for them, everything moves so fast it's unreal, but it is a charming picture of life between the wars and then the struggles of life on the Sussex coast during WWII. Despite hardship and adversity, a portrait of life simpler and less complicated than today's world.
Brigid
Mar 19, 2011 Brigid rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all my gal pals, my bookies
Recommended to Brigid by: my sister
Shelves: for-my-bookies
A sweet little novel tells the story of 2 brothers in England. It's as if the narrator has left out all the boring bits of his life and just focused on the exciting ones. Makes for a fast-paced, enjoyable read.
Ena
It was a cute read! A lot of the scenes were told with a certain charming quality to them that made me imagine them as cartoons. I was pleased with that.
sisterimapoet
Really quite poor, unbelievable and hopelessly old fashioned (not the subject matter, but the fireside mode of telling). Read for local interest alone.
Dave
Overly sentimental tale of nostalgic memories with a few interesting references to daily life during the Second World War.
Chris
poorly written. somewhat interesting.
amanje kalahari
absolutely brilliant
Georgia Balchin
Really nice story to read :)
Stacey Woods
Stacey Woods marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Asma Brodie
Asma Brodie marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
HET VERVOER VAN DE TRAM IN BARCELONA STAD 2 1 Nov 02, 2012 06:55PM
  • At the Firefly Gate
  • The German Boy
  • Out of the Hitler Time
  • A Daughter's Tale: The Memoir of Winston and Clementine Churchill's Youngest Child
  • Home Front Girl: A Diary of Love, Literature, and Growing Up in Wartime America
  • A Parachute in the Lime Tree
  • From Shaniko to Pearl Harbor
  • Hiroshima in the Morning
  • The First Christmas of the War
  • Miss Ranskill Comes Home
  • Saplings
  • Little Boy Lost
  • Silver Like Dust: One Family's Story of America's Japanese Internment
  • The Long Glasgow Kiss (Lennox, #2)
  • A House Unlocked
  • Confinement
  • The Royals
  • Sharing a Shell

"Dr Kenneth Newton, who has died aged 82, was a Harley Street doctor who treated British and foreign royalty, the aristocracy and celebrities such as Audrey Hepburn, Deborah Kerr and Dame Margot Fonteyn."

More about William Newton...
The Mistress of Abha