Start by marking “Slugs” as Want to Read:
Slugs

Slugs

Breakfast? Slug JuiceSlug soup's great for lunchFry 'em like potatoesLove the way they crunch
David Greenberg's slugs are not your garden variety vermin. These slugs can be served for breakfast, mailed in an envelope, walked on a leash, and used as a rag for household chores. It's all fun and games until the tables turn. Find out what happens when the lowly slugs get their
Published May 30th 1983 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Slugs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slugs

Dan
Dec 03, 2012 Dan rated it it was amazing
Until very recently I had almost been convinced that this book was a figment of my childhood imagination!

From the age of perhaps 4 - 9 this was, hands down, my favourite book: it was funny, gruesome and scary.

However, having described this book as an adult to various people (all of whom have stared blankly at me in return) I have universally been met with scepticism about the books existence (particularly regarding the dark and dastardly way the slugs exact their revenge).

So imagine my surpri
Dorothy
May 03, 2012 Dorothy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Shelves: fantasticalish
Is there a better book about slugs? I THINK NOT.
Kelly
This book is insane! What a delicious combination of the disgusting, horrifying, and surreal!

I can't decide which verse is my favorite, but this one might come close:
"They live in houses, trailers, slums
Wealthy Slugs sail giant yachts
Slugs are cowboys, Slugs are bums
Slugs are even astronauts"

The book's 28 verses detail all the atrocious things you can do to and with slugs including: shooting them off in fireworks, wearing them as ear plugs, using them to polish antiques, and dropping them in a
Robert
Greenberg came to our class for some poetry writing lessons. He autographed this book for us. We really liked this one. Disgusting!

****
Beetle pulled this off the shelf tonight for us to read. The rhymes are simple and designed for children to enjoy. Other than that, it is a rather simple poem about slugs and what can be done to them. PETA I am sure would not approve.

I have several Greenberg books and a stuffed slug that I purchased directly from him. He visited my classroom circa 1996. He conduc
Nicole
Jan 26, 2010 Nicole rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture_book
I found this gem in a library book sale, buried beneath all of the commercial Disney books. The story is a little dark - exploring all the lovely ways humans can consume and destroy slugs...and then flipping that by having the slugs come out on top in the end. But I fell in love with the illustrations because the slugs had such personality and the humans were so gluttonous. A charmer that I'm sure has an audience with some.
Tawny
Sep 30, 2008 Tawny rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
At first I was appalled at how the book suggested we treat slugs (even though I think they're disgusting). Then I read the last line of the book.

"Hang them from a Christmas tree
Mix them with your Easter sweets
Carve one like a pumpkin
Hand them out for trick-or-treats. . .

Then they'll stuff you in a garbage can
And leave you overnight.
And after how you've treated slugs,
It surely serves you right!"
Christiane
Feb 23, 2010 Christiane rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I don't know what to make of this! It's creepy! The slugs are mostly human-size (except when they're stuffed up your nose or right between your toes) and well, excuse me for pointing this out, look like nothing so much as big dog turds. I was completely revolted by this book, and yet terribly disappointed that our last copy of "Bugs" is lost!
Stacy Fetters
May 23, 2016 Stacy Fetters rated it it was amazing
Zappo Zingo!
The craziest book you'll ever read about slugs. Just remember all that crazy shit you've done to slugs, they remember what you did and payback my friends.... beware the slugs who seek revenge......
Beth Smith
Aug 16, 2009 Beth Smith rated it it was amazing
OMG! what an absolutely crazy book. we got it at a yard sale a few years ago. i dont think i even have words for this one? my kids laugh the whole way thru. i read it like a doctor seuss book with all the rhyming. read it and let me know what you think!
May 07, 2008 Jennifer rated it liked it
Recommends it for: 2-4th graders
Recommended to Jennifer by: old favorite
Oozingly delightful gastropodian poetry characterized by hilarious (yet revolting) illustrations.

CIP: Suggests many unpleasant things that can be done with and to slugs and warns that even the lowly slug may have its revenge.

Jen
Jan 12, 2010 Jen rated it it was amazing
What did I learn from this book, dear Goodreads? I learned everything I know in life from this book.

Okay, maybe not, but it was one of our family's favorites when I was little and I was thrilled to see it on on the shelf @ Elliot Bay - bought copies for everyone and sent them in the post.
Rebecca
Aug 24, 2008 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
A must read. For everyone. Get yourself a copy. Now.
Dave
Mar 07, 2012 Dave rated it it was amazing
I'd give this 100 stars if I could!
Lke E
Mar 25, 2014 Lke E added it
you lame
Earl Royce Hugo
May 26, 2013 Earl Royce Hugo rated it liked it
Impressive poetry. Disturbing ending.
Elizabeth Bae
Jun 15, 2009 Elizabeth Bae rated it liked it
Just a funny, good read about slugs taking over and humans learning to live with them.
Abby
Dec 21, 2016 Abby rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone with a kid in their life
Such a silly, wonderful book based on the old kids song about banana slugs!
Morgan
Jun 22, 2009 Morgan rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-children-s
Bizarre and disgusting. Read its rhymes aloud to children for a good laugh.
Maeghan Librarian
Most of this book leads one to believe that a sociopath wrote it.

I am simultaneously disgusted and rolling in laughter. It is, simply put, amazing. And gross.

(Mostly gross.)
Kyle
May 23, 2007 Kyle rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
"Slick a slug with Super Glue
Stick it on your sister Sue
Place another, maybe two
In her favorite high-heel shoe"
Jacy
Aug 07, 2009 Jacy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: kids
Disturbing and disgusting, funny and a warning. Don't mess with slugs or they'll mess with you.
Bonnie Mccullough
Nov 22, 2007 Bonnie Mccullough rated it it was amazing
swallow a slug
by its tail or its snout
feel it slide down
feel it climb out

how can i not love this book? it's been a favorite since I discovered it at the age of 7.
Teresa
Sep 30, 2012 Teresa rated it it was ok
The rhymes in this book are excellent but I read it to my three year old without prereading it and I'm beyond lucky because its horrifying.
Sion
Mar 15, 2016 Sion rated it it was amazing
Wonderful. But it turned me against aubergines and mushrooms for a while.
James M. Madsen, M.D.
Mar 17, 2008 James M. Madsen, M.D. rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
A great book to read with your children! Grosso-mosso! ;)
Erin
Dec 16, 2007 Erin rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite kids books that my Grammy introduced me to. It is hilarious. Definitely a book you should have on your shelves if you have kids, or just want a good laugh.
Apr 03, 2008 Sarah rated it liked it
This book creeped me out so much the first time I read it. Now it's just great. Creepy, gross, and hilarious.
Renee
Oct 05, 2007 Renee rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE

I absolutely love this book and read it to anyone who will let me!
Joseph
Joseph rated it it was amazing
Oct 02, 2014
Renee
Renee rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2007
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
What's The Name o...: SOLVED. Illustrated Horror Childrens Book. [s] 6 34 Jul 02, 2015 11:48PM
  • Tree Ring Circus
  • What Pete Ate from A to Z
  • Frog Goes to Dinner (A Boy, a Dog, and a Frog)
  • ABC Kids
  • Flamingos on the Roof
  • Cap'n Smudge
  • Full House: An Invitation to Fractions
  • Babar and Zephir
  • Stuart Goes to School (The Amazing World of Stuart, #2)
  • The Day Tiger Rose Said Goodbye
  • The Truly Terribly Horrible Sweater...That Grandma Knit (Blossom Street Kids Books)
  • You Read to Me, I'll Read to You
  • Chicken And Cat Clean Up
  • Seasons
  • The Marshmallow Incident
  • Once Upon a Twice (Picture Book)