Start by marking “Slugs” as Want to Read:
Slugs

Slugs

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  126 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Breakfast? Slug JuiceSlug soup's great for lunchFry 'em like potatoesLove the way they crunch
David Greenberg's slugs are not your garden variety vermin. These slugs can be served for breakfast, mailed in an envelope, walked on a leash, and used as a rag for household chores. It's all fun and games until the tables turn. Find out what happens when the lowly slug gets it's r
Published May 30th 1983 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Slugs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slugs

Jesse
Slugs is an amazing book. There is no other way to say it. It perfectly straddles the line between bizarrely entertaining and seriously F-ed up; it is to the children's book genre as the freak show is to the circus. The coupling of catchy poetry with cartoonishly grotesque images and ideas creates something that is too unique to ever be forgotten.
Dorothy
May 03, 2012 Dorothy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Shelves: fantasticalish
Is there a better book about slugs? I THINK NOT.
Dan
Until very recently I had almost been convinced that this book was a figment of my childhood imagination!

From the age of perhaps 4 - 9 this was, hands down, my favourite book: it was funny, gruesome and scary.

However, having described this book as an adult to various people (all of whom have stared blankly at me in return) I have universally been met with scepticism about the books existence (particularly regarding the dark and dastardly way the slugs exact their revenge).

So imagine my surpri
Robert
Greenberg came to our class for some poetry writing lessons. He autographed this book for us. We really liked this one. Disgusting!

****
Beetle pulled this off the shelf tonight for us to read. The rhymes are simple and designed for children to enjoy. Other than that, it is a rather simple poem about slugs and what can be done to them. PETA I am sure would not approve.

I have several Greenberg books and a stuffed slug that I purchased directly from him. He visited my classroom circa 1996. He conduc
Lke E
Mar 25, 2014 Lke E added it
you lame
Nicole
I found this gem in a library book sale, buried beneath all of the commercial Disney books. The story is a little dark - exploring all the lovely ways humans can consume and destroy slugs...and then flipping that by having the slugs come out on top in the end. But I fell in love with the illustrations because the slugs had such personality and the humans were so gluttonous. A charmer that I'm sure has an audience with some.
Tawny
At first I was appalled at how the book suggested we treat slugs (even though I think they're disgusting). Then I read the last line of the book.

"Hang them from a Christmas tree
Mix them with your Easter sweets
Carve one like a pumpkin
Hand them out for trick-or-treats. . .

Then they'll stuff you in a garbage can
And leave you overnight.
And after how you've treated slugs,
It surely serves you right!"
Christiane
I don't know what to make of this! It's creepy! The slugs are mostly human-size (except when they're stuffed up your nose or right between your toes) and well, excuse me for pointing this out, look like nothing so much as big dog turds. I was completely revolted by this book, and yet terribly disappointed that our last copy of "Bugs" is lost!
Jen
What did I learn from this book, dear Goodreads? I learned everything I know in life from this book.

Okay, maybe not, but it was one of our family's favorites when I was little and I was thrilled to see it on on the shelf @ Elliot Bay - bought copies for everyone and sent them in the post.
Beth Smith
OMG! what an absolutely crazy book. we got it at a yard sale a few years ago. i dont think i even have words for this one? my kids laugh the whole way thru. i read it like a doctor seuss book with all the rhyming. read it and let me know what you think!
May 07, 2008 Jennifer rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 2-4th graders
Recommended to Jennifer by: old favorite
Shelves: children-poetry
Oozingly delightful gastropodian poetry characterized by hilarious (yet revolting) illustrations.

CIP: Suggests many unpleasant things that can be done with and to slugs and warns that even the lowly slug may have its revenge.

Erin
This is one of my favorite kids books that my Grammy introduced me to. It is hilarious. Definitely a book you should have on your shelves if you have kids, or just want a good laugh.
Bonnie Mccullough
swallow a slug
by its tail or its snout
feel it slide down
feel it climb out

how can i not love this book? it's been a favorite since I discovered it at the age of 7.
Teresa
The rhymes in this book are excellent but I read it to my three year old without prereading it and I'm beyond lucky because its horrifying.
This book creeped me out so much the first time I read it. Now it's just great. Creepy, gross, and hilarious.
Kyle
"Slick a slug with Super Glue
Stick it on your sister Sue
Place another, maybe two
In her favorite high-heel shoe"
Jacy
Aug 07, 2009 Jacy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: kids
Disturbing and disgusting, funny and a warning. Don't mess with slugs or they'll mess with you.
Elizabeth Bae
Just a funny, good read about slugs taking over and humans learning to live with them.
Morgan
Bizarre and disgusting. Read its rhymes aloud to children for a good laugh.
Renee
Oct 05, 2007 Renee rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE

I absolutely love this book and read it to anyone who will let me!
James M. Madsen, M.D.
A great book to read with your children! Grosso-mosso! ;)
Rebecca
A must read. For everyone. Get yourself a copy. Now.
Earl Royce Hugo
Impressive poetry. Disturbing ending.
Dave
I'd give this 100 stars if I could!
Erika Bower
Erika Bower marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Lexi
Lexi added it
Nov 03, 2014
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Bugs! Crocs! Snakes! Enchanted Lions Skunks!