Start by marking “Death on the Downs (Fethering Series #2)” as Want to Read:
Death on the Downs (Fethering Series #2)

Death on the Downs (Fethering Mystery #2)

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  590 ratings  ·  62 reviews
It isn't the rain that upsets Carole Seddon during her walk on the West Sussex Downs. It isn't the dilapidated barn in which she is forced to seek shelter. No, what upsets her is the human skeleton she discovers there, neatly packed into two blue fertilizer bags....

So begins the second investigation for strait-laced Carole and her more laid-back neighbor Jude. This time t

MP3 Book, 0 pages
Published April 1st 2002 by Blackstone Audio, Inc. (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Death on the Downs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death on the Downs

Ellen
I read (well, listened to) this with my mouth hanging open. An amateur sleuth gets her information by simply asking complete strangers personal and intrusive questions ... and they all reply without so much as a raised eyebrow! And, when a potential murderer (and total stranger) stops her and asks her a load of similar questions, she just responds to his questions without so much as a by your leave. Am I living in a different world?! If a total stranger asked me where I was on the night of whene ...more
Marfita
Carly
**edited 01/27/14

There are some mystery stories that you treat like a puzzle: you guess and deduct and try to figure out who the criminal and motive and method are. And when you get to the end, you either feel incredibly smug or quite foolish, because it all seems obvious in retrospect. And then there are others where it just doesn't matter, because the mystery is just the framing for the story.

Simon Brett's books fall into the latter case. All of the Fethering books that I have read follow pre
Lesley
I knew there was something hinky about that terribly friendly and concerned cop, even if he wasn't actually the killer.

This comes of having read far too many mysteries and thrillers in which the gratuitously helpful person with no apparent connection to the central crime turns out to be in it up to their eyeballs.
Kimberly Hall
I decided to give this series another chance. I'm still not sure I should have. This book, while being marginally better than the first in the series, is still not a winner for me. The main character is just too hard to love, as she comes across as rigid and prejudice. References are made by her in regards to the lower class trying to live above their "station" in life. I also fell as if the author has a hard time thinking if plausible plot scenarios that would end in his character gleaning the ...more
M.
A return engagement to the seaside village of Fethering reveals more about Simon Brett's plans for this series. It seems that the Fethering series will have definite continuity, making it best for readers to follow in order. That is not necessary, but preferable.

This tale, oddly enough, only briefly takes place in Fethering. Most of the plot takes place on the downs in nearby Weldisham, where neighbors and (very) amateur sleuths Carole Seddon and Jude...uh, we still don't know her last name...tr
Mary Gilligan-Nolan
Book 2. in this series by Simon Brett, featuring once again, retired Home Office employee, Carole Seddon and her next-door-neighbour, Jude. Incidentally, Carole still does not know Jude's surname and is no closer to knowing a great deal about Jude than she was when they first met. Carole is out for a bit of a hill walk/ramble in the nearby village in Weldisham, when she takes shelter from heavy rain in a derelict barn and discovers two bags of human bones. Now, as lightening is known to strike t ...more
Ronna
This second Feathering mystery finds "proper" Carole, caught in a downpour while walking on the downs. Taking shelter in a dilapidated and deserted old barn, Carole was shocked to find two fertilizer bags of old human bones. Thus, Carole, and her new-age friend, Judy, begin their second quest for discovering who was murdered in Feathering, and which one of their friends or new acquaintances are responsible for the death.

Brett has once again populated his book with many unique and quirky characte
Jan C
Another enjoyable "read" by Brett. This is the second in the series. Our heroine, Carol, stumbles upon a bag of bones in a barn on the "downs". Not really sure what downs are. Maybe we don't have them here. Certainly not around Chicago.

I think this is a relatively short series, unless he's still writing them.

But I got hooked listening to this on one of our first sunny days in a long time. The next thing I know it is evening.
Nancy Oakes
2nd in the Carole Seddon series (which I've decided I really enjoy), this installment finds our heroine once again finding a body. This time, actually, she stumbles into a barn in a neighboring town where she is walking her dog Gulliver; it's raining and she seeks shelter. Carole sits down to rest and as she's looking around, she sees what appears to be a bag of bones bundled together. Remembering from her last episode that she shouldn't wait to phone the police, she does so immediately. It turn ...more
Katharine
Second in series by Simon Brett set in Sussex. Nice to see a series featuring two 50-something women and their developing friendship. Having an two amateur detectives investigate a case has some problems for series set in the present day, but the enjoyment in this book derives more from the characters than the plot.
Anne Hawn Smith
Another adventure from the village of Fethering featuring the odd couple of sleuths, Carol Seddon and her friend, Jude. Carol stumbles on some bones in a barn while sheltering from a storm. She has to try to find out who the bones belonged to and, unfortunately, who murdered the victim. This sets up the amateur detective scenario in which the two friends bumble into the clues and then the solution.

The book is charming because of the characters and environment. The mystery is just the vehicle to
Michelle L
Almost incredible to think this pedestrian series is written by the clever author of the Charles Paris mysteries. The actual mysteries are quite well developed, the reader is unlikely to get ahead of the author. But the telling! Dull,not droll, draggy. Despite the two potentially interesting lead characters, of whom Brett makes little, despite the verbiage. Hmm. Wonder how he managed that?

This was in a double volume with the first Fethering mystery, The Body on the Beach, which was marginally p

David Weinfeld
good story. Interesting non-police lady does most of the investigating.
Debbie
Enjoyable second book in the Fethering mysteries.
Amy Martin
To start with, I must say that within the first 5 pages of the book the author used three words that I had to look up in the dictionary. This might be annoying to some, but I was excited to have a book that used language so cleverly! It's an interesting story line, and since it was the first in the series I look forward to getting to know the characters a little better. It was worth the read, and I hope the characters grow on me a little more. Some of the reading is slow going to get to the poin ...more
Taryn Maxximillian Dafoe
This is the third Simon Brett novel I've read. I like old mysteries. It didn't have me on the edge of my seat, but it's not that kind of mystery. The characters are well formed and the story moves along nicely. There is no ridiculous romance, which I appreciate and the story is told well, giving us just enough to solve the mystery along with the characters we're reading about. I intend to read the rest of his novels—there are another 3489, I think. Of the three of his that I've read, I like this ...more
Spuddie
Second in series, perhaps suffering a bit from sophomore-itis. Much repetition with identical phraseology describing Carole and her upbringing, her philosophy, etc...we get it, let's move on and demonstrate her character rather than just describing it over and over. The mystery was good, and the atmosphere and tone were good, just hoping not to have things reiterated over and over again in the next one too, otherwise I may back off. Enjoyable enough for a quick light read.
Margaret
This one went a little slowly for me, but I do like the characters.
Laura Norris
Simon Brett is fun to read.
Barbara
As entertaining as the first. The reason Carole and Jude investigate this murder is fairly plausible (leaving aside the chances of Carole stumbling over yet another body). The rest of the plot is as wildly implausible as before, but still good fun. Mind you, if real village life is even remotely like what is portrayed in these books then I'm retiring to an inner city apartment!

KarenC
As another reader labeled this, "a cozy mystery." A quiet English style mystery with interesting characters. Are they sleuths or "busy bodies"? Turns out the bones are one element of a larger police case about which we hear little until the end. Brett writes well; enjoyed descriptions of the English countryside and the townsfolk encountered while trying to decipher the clues.
Fanficfan44
Excellent characters and mystery -lots of plot developments that keep the story interesting and the mystery going. This was a reread for me due to Hurricane Sandy - stuck at home with all the libraries closed. Love the relationships among the recurring characters. I really enjoy this series and would highly recommend to anyone that likes British mysteries.
LeeAnne
Meh. This one is okay. The mystery is pretty good but I find that I really don't like any of the characters, especially Carole, the main character. She doesn't just wear shoes, they are "sensible" shoes. Every. Single. Time. We get it Mr. Brett, we get it. Not sure If I'll continue with this series though I probably will. After a bit of a break.
The second entry in the Fethering series continues the character study of two unlikely friends who stumble into murder and mischief. I guessed the killer fairly early on--to me, the clues seemed a bit obvious--but still, a pleasant way to spend a few hours.
Clio
Jan 03, 2014 Clio added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
A delightful holiday cozy- easy to read and kept me guessing whodunnit!
Yeva
Even though the outcome was predictable, the story moved briskly along, and I enjoyed the story. The lack of information about Jude, while intriguing at first, is mildly frustrating and is beginning to be somewhat of a bore. Too bad.
Kim
I started reading this series years ago. I may not remember the plot, but I recall the series having likeable characters if little mystery. I enjoyed the titles well enough that I read the new releases.
Karyn
If you like I-live-in-an-English-country-village mysteries (and I do), Simon Brett's Feathering series delivers with a more contemporary feel than expected. This second in the series has made me a fan.
Kathy
I liked this second one even better than the first. Seems to include some of my favorite features of Crombie and the Rendell/Wexford series. Really like the characters, plot, and turns of phrase.
Fethering series 2 12 Apr 21, 2013 12:25AM
  • A Cotswold Ordeal (Thea Osborne, #2)
  • A Word After Dying (Mitchell and Markby, #10)
  • Diamond Solitaire (Peter Diamond, #2)
  • Mrs. Malory and A Time To Die
  • The Merlot Murders (Wine Country Mysteries #1)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Day the Floods Came (Agatha Raisin, #12)
  • Eleven Pipers Piping (Father Christmas Mystery #2)
  • Death in Hyde Park (Kathryn Ardleigh, #10)
  • An Advancement of Learning (Dalziel & Pascoe, #2)
  • Frequent Hearses (Gervase Fen, #7)
  • The Victim In Victoria Station (Dorothy Martin, #5)
  • Murder by Magic
  • Requiem for a Mezzo (Daisy Dalrymple, #3)
  • First Frost (Detective Jack Frost Prequel, #1)
  • Road Rage (Inspector Wexford, #17)
  • The Russian Hill Murders (Sarah Woolson Mystery, #2)
  • The Drowning Spool
Simon Brett is a prolific British writer of whodunnits.

He is the son of a Chartered Surveyor and was educated at Dulwich College and Wadham College, Oxford, where he got a first class honours degree in English.

He then joined the BBC as a trainee and worked for BBC Radio and London Weekend Television, where his work included 'Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy' and 'Frank Muir Goes Into ...'.

Afte
More about Simon Brett...
The Body on the Beach (Fethering, #1) The Torso in the Town (Fethering, #3) Murder in the Museum (Fethering, #4) The Stabbing in the Stables (Fethering, #7) The Witness at the Wedding (Fethering, #6)