Start by marking “Death on the Downs (Fethering Series #2)” as Want to Read:
Death on the Downs (Fethering Series #2)

Death on the Downs (Fethering Mystery #2)

3.52  ·  Rating Details  ·  867 Ratings  ·  85 Reviews
It isn't the rain that upsets Carole Seddon during her walk on the West Sussex Downs. It isn't the dilapidated barn in which she is forced to seek shelter. No, what upsets her is the human skeleton she discovers there, neatly packed into two blue fertilizer bags....

So begins the second investigation for strait-laced Carole and her more laid-back neighbor Jude. This time t

MP3 Book, 0 pages
Published April 1st 2002 by Blackstone Audio, Inc. (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Death on the Downs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death on the Downs

Ellen
Oct 20, 2013 Ellen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
I read (well, listened to) this with my mouth hanging open. An amateur sleuth gets her information by simply asking complete strangers personal and intrusive questions ... and they all reply without so much as a raised eyebrow! And, when a potential murderer (and total stranger) stops her and asks her a load of similar questions, she just responds to his questions without so much as a by your leave. Am I living in a different world?! If a total stranger asked me where I was on the night of whene ...more
Ellen
Apr 15, 2016 Ellen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: brett, my-favorites
Death on the Downs by Simon Brett.

This was one of the earliest Fethering mysteries and in my opinion one of the best.

Carole has stumbled into an old decrepit barn when she uncovers bones that appear to be human. The local constable takes the bones in to be analyzed to find exactly who they belonged to by possibly using DNA after finding the age of the bones and who went missing at that time. Soon Carole and her next door neighbor Jude are in another whodunit together gathering clues.

The clues k
Marfita
Oct 26, 2009 Marfita rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozies, mysteries
Margaret
May 23, 2016 Margaret rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fluff, mystery
An enjoyable little mystery for some easy leisure reading.
Carly
Jan 27, 2014 Carly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, cozy-mystery
**edited 01/27/14

There are some mystery stories that you treat like a puzzle: you guess and deduct and try to figure out who the criminal and motive and method are. And when you get to the end, you either feel incredibly smug or quite foolish, because it all seems obvious in retrospect. And then there are others where it just doesn't matter, because the mystery is just the framing for the story.

Simon Brett's books fall into the latter case. All of the Fethering books that I have read follow pre
Bill
This is the 2nd book in Simon Brett's Fethering mysteries, featuring amateur sleuths, Carole Seddon and her neighbour, Jude. I liked this one more than the first; Brett has found his way now that he's got over the introduction phase of the series. The characters are familiar and interesting and the case was also enjoyable. Carole finds a cache of human remains while taking shelter from a walk on the Sussex Downs. This starts an investigation into possible suspects by the two friends, which ultim ...more
Alison
Jun 28, 2015 Alison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-and-5-stars
Lesley
Apr 21, 2013 Lesley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I knew there was something hinky about that terribly friendly and concerned cop, even if he wasn't actually the killer.

This comes of having read far too many mysteries and thrillers in which the gratuitously helpful person with no apparent connection to the central crime turns out to be in it up to their eyeballs.
Maryann MJS1228
I'm a fan of Brett's Charles Paris and Mrs Pargeter series so I was expecting more of same with my first entry into the Fethering Mysteries series. By "same" I mean dry wit, twisty mysteries, amusing yet believable (and mostly likable) characters along with direct hits on the absurdities of modern life.

The amateur detectives in the Fethering series are Carol, a retired civil servant, and Jude, a new agey sort with a somewhat mysterious past and, occasionally, present. Carol and Jude are nice eno
Susan Wallace
Dec 27, 2015 Susan Wallace rated it liked it
Shelves: overdrive, audio
Good enough, a little too wordy.
Cliff
Mar 03, 2015 Cliff rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An English mystery in the style of the classics from the likes of Agatha Christie. It's set in the county I now live in, so reading it was something of a duty. It is part of a series, a number of which I picked up for 10p each. There is nothing about it which makes me want to ignore the others. It is lightweight and something to read between more weighty tomes. However, to give it more than 2* would be a disservice to books I have rated higher. Don't let that put you off reading it or others in ...more
Christine Cody
I enjoy all of Simon Brett's series. This series has the special attraction of having two "women of a certain age" as the protagonists and amateur sleuths in a small country village in England. The retired Carol of the British Office is learning to spend time in pubs, speak her mind without her long-lived reticence, and even finally believes she is attractive. It takes her new friend, the free-spirited Jude, to bring her out of her shell. Their friendship grows closer and better with each book.
M.
A return engagement to the seaside village of Fethering reveals more about Simon Brett's plans for this series. It seems that the Fethering series will have definite continuity, making it best for readers to follow in order. That is not necessary, but preferable.

This tale, oddly enough, only briefly takes place in Fethering. Most of the plot takes place on the downs in nearby Weldisham, where neighbors and (very) amateur sleuths Carole Seddon and Jude...uh, we still don't know her last name...tr
Mary Gilligan-Nolan
Book 2. in this series by Simon Brett, featuring once again, retired Home Office employee, Carole Seddon and her next-door-neighbour, Jude. Incidentally, Carole still does not know Jude's surname and is no closer to knowing a great deal about Jude than she was when they first met. Carole is out for a bit of a hill walk/ramble in the nearby village in Weldisham, when she takes shelter from heavy rain in a derelict barn and discovers two bags of human bones. Now, as lightening is known to strike t ...more
Ronna
May 10, 2013 Ronna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This second Feathering mystery finds "proper" Carole, caught in a downpour while walking on the downs. Taking shelter in a dilapidated and deserted old barn, Carole was shocked to find two fertilizer bags of old human bones. Thus, Carole, and her new-age friend, Judy, begin their second quest for discovering who was murdered in Feathering, and which one of their friends or new acquaintances are responsible for the death.

Brett has once again populated his book with many unique and quirky characte
Jan C
May 03, 2014 Jan C rated it liked it
Another enjoyable "read" by Brett. This is the second in the series. Our heroine, Carol, stumbles upon a bag of bones in a barn on the "downs". Not really sure what downs are. Maybe we don't have them here. Certainly not around Chicago.

I think this is a relatively short series, unless he's still writing them.

But I got hooked listening to this on one of our first sunny days in a long time. The next thing I know it is evening.
Richard Beasley
Sep 29, 2015 Richard Beasley rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book trying too hard to set up a series. And it was all too obvious. Some pathetic red herrings that aren't really, a poor attempt at introducing some jeopardy and keep the perpetrator secret for about two pages. Had a go trying a bunch of crime fiction by authors I haven't tried before. There is much better crime about, series or otherwise. Not recommended
Kimberly
I decided to give this series another chance. I'm still not sure I should have. This book, while being marginally better than the first in the series, is still not a winner for me. The main character is just too hard to love, as she comes across as rigid and prejudice. References are made by her in regards to the lower class trying to live above their "station" in life. I also fell as if the author has a hard time thinking if plausible plot scenarios that would end in his character gleaning the ...more
Nancy
Sep 30, 2015 Nancy rated it liked it
I enjoyed this audiobook, but after reading Louise Penny, Jacqueline Winspear, PD James and Donna Leon it was a disappointment. They are such masters and Simon Brett just couldn't hold a candle. Fun escape, but not the depth of character or sense of place I've experienced with the others. I have liked these in the past. Maybe I just need more time between reading the greats and the runners up.
Katharine
Nov 01, 2014 Katharine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Second in series by Simon Brett set in Sussex. Nice to see a series featuring two 50-something women and their developing friendship. Having an two amateur detectives investigate a case has some problems for series set in the present day, but the enjoyment in this book derives more from the characters than the plot.
Andrea
Feb 02, 2016 Andrea rated it really liked it
The characters grew on me. The solution was more complicated than I expected. And I always love a mystery set in England. There were two different points of view represented and I see why they were both represented. At first it bothered me, but as I kept reading, it made sense and didn't bother me so much
Anne Hawn Smith
Another adventure from the village of Fethering featuring the odd couple of sleuths, Carol Seddon and her friend, Jude. Carol stumbles on some bones in a barn while sheltering from a storm. She has to try to find out who the bones belonged to and, unfortunately, who murdered the victim. This sets up the amateur detective scenario in which the two friends bumble into the clues and then the solution.

The book is charming because of the characters and environment. The mystery is just the vehicle to
Jody Hamilton
Oct 27, 2015 Jody Hamilton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked the plot and the characters but especially loved the narrator, Geoffry Howard (aka Ralph Coshman). Glad to again hear the voice of Chief Insp Armand Gamache and the residents of Three Pines created by Louise Penny. Mr. Cosham passed away in 2014 but lives on in his books.
Madelyn
Carole Seddon is caught in a sudden rainstorm while out walking at a nearby community. She runs into an old barn to get out of the rain. While in the barn, she discovers bags containing a human skeleton. And the mystery begins. A very good whodunit.
Patricia
3 1/2*. These are fun murder mysteries, not too icky and gory, not too twee. Interesting characters and with each book, we're getting a bit more about them. On to the next one!!
Guera25
Aug 02, 2015 Guera25 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quaint, cozy mystery of the tea and fireside variety. Nothing groundbreaking, but it was all the trusty whodunnit conventions into a quick, enjoyable read.
Michelle L
Almost incredible to think this pedestrian series is written by the clever author of the Charles Paris mysteries. The actual mysteries are quite well developed, the reader is unlikely to get ahead of the author. But the telling! Dull,not droll, draggy. Despite the two potentially interesting lead characters, of whom Brett makes little, despite the verbiage. Hmm. Wonder how he managed that?

This was in a double volume with the first Fethering mystery, The Body on the Beach, which was marginally p

Tracy
Jun 03, 2015 Tracy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A slow brooding novel that like the Great Storm that started the murders in the quiet village ended with a bang. For once the roles were reversed Carole was the one running on instinct and Jude thinking everything out with logic. Another wonderful Fethering novel with the ever reliable due of Miss Marple and Columbo, there to save the day. The police should hire them!
David Weinfeld
good story. Interesting non-police lady does most of the investigating.
LInda L
Cute -- 2 ladies in their 50s investigate an old murder.
Fethering series 2 13 Apr 21, 2013 12:25AM
  • The Affair of the 39 Cufflinks (Burford Family Mysteries, #3)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Fairies of Fryfam (Agatha Raisin, #10)
  • Death at the Alma Mater (A St. Just Mystery #3)
  • Eleven Pipers Piping (Father Christmas Mystery #2)
  • Death in Hyde Park (Kathryn Ardleigh, #10)
  • Parting Breath  (Inspector Sloan #7)
  • Diamond Solitaire (Peter Diamond, #2)
  • The Devil's Edge (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #11)
  • Requiem for a Mezzo (Daisy Dalrymple, #3)
  • Say It with Poison (Mitchell and Markby, #1)
  • It Had to Be You (Grace & Favor, #5)
  • The Reluctant Detective (Faith Morgan Mystery, #1)
  • No More Dying Then (Inspector Wexford, #6)
  • Mrs. Malory Investigates (Mrs. Malory Mysteries, #1)
  • The Russian Hill Murders (Sarah Woolson Mystery, #2)
Simon Brett is a prolific British writer of whodunnits.

He is the son of a Chartered Surveyor and was educated at Dulwich College and Wadham College, Oxford, where he got a first class honours degree in English.

He then joined the BBC as a trainee and worked for BBC Radio and London Weekend Television, where his work included 'Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy' and 'Frank Muir Goes Into ...'.

Afte
More about Simon Brett...

Fethering Mystery (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • The Body on the Beach (Fethering, #1)
  • The Torso in the Town (Fethering, #3)
  • Murder in the Museum (Fethering, #4)
  • The Hanging in the Hotel (Fethering, #5)
  • The Witness at the Wedding (Fethering, #6)
  • The Stabbing in the Stables (Fethering, #7)
  • Death Under the Dryer (Fethering, #8)
  • Blood at the Bookies (Fethering, #9)
  • The Poisoning in the Pub (Fethering, #10)
  • The Shooting in the Shop (Fethering, #11)