Start by marking “Gloom Cookie Volume 1 (GloomCookie, #1)” as Want to Read:
Gloom Cookie Volume 1 (GloomCookie, #1)

Gloom Cookie Volume 1 (GloomCookie #1)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  866 ratings  ·  40 reviews
The first six issues of this comic book series of gothic fairy tales are collected with added sketches, fan art, and pin-ups.
Published June 1st 2003 by SLG Publishing (first published January 26th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Gloom Cookie Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gloom Cookie Volume 1

TheFountainPenDiva
Gloomcookie reminds me so much of all my lovely and drama-filled goths in all their extravagant finery. It's sweet, dark, fun and yes, there's bound to be a real-life version of bad goth poet Vermilion somewhere. Serena Valentino knows this scene and writes both lovingly and bitingly about it while embracing its fantasy elements as well. Ted Naifeh's illustrations are amazing, especially Lex and Max--our woebegone couple. Will they or won't they?
Carrie
A goth soap opera/fairy tale! Filled with misunderstood monsters, vengeful curses, sensitive misfits, melodramatic romance, decadent settings, vampy outfits, bad poetry, and hilarious parodies of Goth angst and Gothlette cattiness, this is full of sweet, guilty pleasures that won't leave you feeling icky or stupid afterwards. The artwork is just as delectable. Out of the first three in the series - the only ones I've read so far - this has the best illustrations.
Some of the stories and drawings from this were just squishy. I loved the monster and the carnival macabre. Other elements were oogie. Some of the writing was awkward ("their" instead of "they're", etc.) but the bits that were delightful were so pleasing when coupled with the art that they carried me through. I would say some parts of this book averaged 4 stars and others 2, hence the overall score of 3.
CJ - let me hold both your hands in the holes of my sweater
Apr 12, 2010 CJ - let me hold both your hands in the holes of my sweater rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Clair, Gaiman fans, goth fans, GOOD graphic novel fans
Loved it. Really really good graphic novel...this is only the beginning of the story as well. incorporates a lot of fairy tale myths and goth culture. It's dark, funny, weird and human.

Good good read!
Chris
Gothic fairy tale about love. Not quite as good as Valentino Fairy Tale series, but worth the read.
Vanessa
I remember buying this graphic novel years ago, and I never finished it. After picking it up around an hour ago and reading the whole thing, I know remember why.

Gloom Cookie is a comic that I would have expected to love. As a former weird, 'emo' kid at school, there is still a little bit of the goth child inside of me who is fascinated by all those tall dark strangers with the leather and pvc and black lipstick who used to dominate my local rock club back in the day (before it went downhill basi
Althea Ann
This is the first 'graphic novel' or compendium of this comic book, which is written by Valentino, and has been illustrated by different artists of her choosing. The art in this volume is all by Naifeh. I'd heard about this 'gothic' comic for a while, and my interest was piqued, so I picked it up from the library.

The story centers around a group of people in a goth scene, and features many stereotypes and kinds of characters that will quickly be recognized by anyone who's hung out in such a scen
Online Eccentric Librarian

More reviews at the Online Eccentric Librarian  http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

What starts as what seems a random collection of unrelated stories slowly but surely start to coalesce, especially by volume 2. By then, you're likely hooked as the big picture unfolds.

The artwork is stylized but clean and the text is sparse and easy to follow. The writer has clearly defined the characters and they make sense in this sort of alternate fantastical reality.

I originally picked up the first volume at the libr
Misty
This is probably just under a 3 for me. It was cutish, fun artwork, interestingish fairytale-like storylines. Not a great piece of lit, but fun.

The basic story revolves around a group of goth club kids, some of whom are not so much "kids" as they are -- well, that would be telling, now wouldn't it?
The story is slightly cheeky, making fun of the scene in the way that only people who are a part of it and sincere can really do. There are a lot of fairytale elements woven in, and a creepy carnival,
Too much drama for me. Liked the gothy overtones, parts reminded me of Courtney Crumrin. I wished it was funnier like I feel sick . Overall the drawing was good but eyes were always vacant (not in a creepy way, more like just missing, meaninglessly empty).
Mary
Stilted and amatuer dialog was cringe-worthy, but the general thought behind the story was well done, and the artwork is dark and beautiful. Mostly enjoyed for the art - will continue the series if I can find copies through the library.
Hyzenthlay
Naifeh's art was cute, but I can't get over the poor proofreading. Won't be continuing, especially since he doesn't illustrate further volumes.
Michaela
Cute. It was nice to reminisce over my hot topic days.
Kirsten
Collects the first six issues of the goth comic Gloomcookie. This was enjoyable; I really like the characters (especially Sebastian). It takes a while to pick up the pace, though, and form a solid storyline, and I felt that a lot of the story elements were sort of glossed over or not explained properly. Also, while Ted Naifeh is great at drawing facial expressions and characters, his action sequences are really confusing and tend towards the static. If the library gets the other collections, I'l ...more
Chibineko
I picked this series up because it was recommended to me. I loved this book & it's artwork. The characters were cute, but at times I felt like the stories were a bit too fragmented. The storyline was very clear & linear, but at times I felt like the artists could have spent just a teensy bit more time filling in the blank spots between stories. There are parts to the story that just could have used a bit more finesse. Still, I would definately recommend this to fans of Courtney Crumrin, ...more
Pamster
A goth soap opera mixing the social politics of clubbing with supernatural intrigue, this graphic novel is super quick and fun. I kind of want to color it in all purple and pink. It serves as a good reminder that goth men are incredibly not hot. Like not hot to an extreme, like that is their whole entire mission is to not be hot even a tiny little bit. Not even warm. Recommended by Michelle, partly because she loves it, and partly because there is a character called Vermilion who is her boyf.
Monica
I was fortunate enough to take a comic writing course from Serena Valentino this past year, although at the time I hadn't even heard of "Gloom Cookie"--I'm awful, right? But now that I've started reading the series, I can say with confidence that this book captures Serena's sassy yet whimsical style perfectly. It's silly and sentimental in all of the right places and I can't wait to find out what happens next!
Kristin
I enjoyed this book. I am a fan of Ted Naifeh's illustrations and this book did not disappoint. It took me a while to figure out what was going on with the story. The book is a series of short tales all involving the same characters, but often with different settings. Some are more fairy tale and some are more urban fantasy. All-in-all, it was an enjoyable read.
tish
There were a few bits of this that I didn't love, like the use of the word oogie, but the larger storyline was great and I liked the art a lot. I really enjoyed Sebastian and his beast, and all of the carnival business--I'm looking forward to more of that! I will agree with Pam's review--goth men are not hot. oh Max, so pretty, yet so unappealing.
Kimberly
This is a wonderful comic book! I couldn't put it down. The characters are so real and the dialogue flows like you're talking to your friends. The art in all of the Gloom Cookies are exceptional, even though each is by a different artist. I love the layered characters and the plot. I love Lex and the monster under the bed.
A really fun read.
Kate
May 24, 2008 Kate rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of the Courtney Crumrin series
Shelves: graphicnovels
Read this many moons ago, but I just realized I have missed two volumes in the last couple of years, so I decided to start over from the very beginning. I love the interconnectedness of the stories and how contemporary realism is intermixed with memory and myth. And of course, you can't go wrong with artwork by Ted Naifeh.
Sarah Cormier
I loved these stories when I was a goth teen and they're still good now. The main character is beautiful and a little sad. I love her best friend and his strange quiet little boyfriend. The circus story that comes later is cute and strange. A good quick read.
Jenny Plotsky
The illustrations are the best thing about this graphic novel. It may be worth reading for the little moments of greatness amid mediocrity. But overall as others have pointed out it tends to read like a soap opera which is really not my thing.
Pierre-emmanuel
Je n'ai pas du tout adhéré à l'histoire que je trouve plutôt mièvre et sans grand intérêt —la forme de conte m'a plutôt ennuyé. Par contre, les petites touches sur le milieu goth est très bien rendu et on sent le vécu...
Meigz
I love this book. I love the story of Lex wanting Max but Max not wanting Lex. I love the whole goth setting and speaking as a person that has been to goth clubs I totally see these people at EVERY club!
Brenda
I just adore anything Serena Valentino,I admire and fallow her anywhere,she's not only pure talent but she's also a sweetheart and loves her readers and takes the time to speak to us when she has the chance <3
Kirstyn McDermott
Lots of squishy gothy fun. Gorgeous illistrations, lots of snark and over-the-top emotions ... essentially a fairy tale for goths. Looking forward to reading more.
Amy
This is a fun satire of Goths with great art from Ted Naifeh (unfortunately, he doesn't do the entire series) - not always very articulate, but it's serviceable.
Rebecca
I really liked parts of this and really didn't like parts of this, but there was more I didn't really like than what I liked. I'm sorry this is rather vague.
Jana
Gloom Cookie

I liked this one. The characters were cute and interesting and the drawing was excellent. A truly charming read
  • Courtney Crumrin and the Coven of Mystics (Courtney Crumrin, #2)
  • Serenity Rose Volume 1: Working Through the Negativity
  • Lenore: Wedgies (Issues 5-8)
  • Death, Jr.
  • I Feel Sick #2
  • Blue Monday Volume 2: Absolute Beginners
  • Hopeless Savages Volume 1
Serena Valentino is best known for weaving tales that combine mythos and guile with her work on the comic book series GloomCookie and Nightmares & Fairy Tales published with SLG Publishing. Nightmares & Fairy Tales has earned her critical acclaim in both the comic and horror domain, where she is known for her unique style of storytelling, bringing her readers into exquisitely frightening w ...more
More about Serena Valentino...
Fairest of All: A Tale of the Wicked Queen Once Upon a Time (Nightmares & Fairy Tales, #1) Beautiful Beasts (Nightmares & Fairy Tales, #2) The Beast Within: A Tale of Beauty's Prince 1140 Rue Royale (Nightmares & Fairy Tales, #3)