Start by marking “Flipping the Switch...: Unleash the Power of Personal Accountability Using the Qbq!” as Want to Read:

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  305 ratings  ·  28 reviews
In his bestselling book QBQ! The Question Behind the Question, John G. Miller revealed how personal accountability helps to create opportunity, overcome obstacles, and achieve goals by eliminating blame, complaining, and procrastination. The result? Stronger organizations, more dynamic teams, and healthier relationships. Now Miller takes readers to the next level to show h...more
Published December 1st 2005 by Putnam Adult

To ask other readers questions about Flipping the Switch..., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flipping the Switch...

Jason Cox
Pretty good book overall. Definitely start with the previous book - QBQ, which discusses the fundamental concept of making sure you're asking the right questions to make forward progress.

Flipping the Switch takes it to the next level, though, discussing Application Principles that add to the QBQ. The application principles are Learning, Ownership, Creativity, Service, and Trust. Each section gives a relatively brief discussion of the principle, how it relates the the QBQ concept, and an entertai...more
Laura Bird knight
I didn't see much difference compared to the original QBQ book, but still an easy quick read that will get your mind moving in a more positive direction
Jen
While QBQ told us what a QBQ was, Flipping the Switch tells us how to implement it. However, I felt that Miller spent far too much time rehashing the principles of QBQ. He gave us letters, examples, and demonstrations of how the principles can work in our lives, but at only a little over 120 pages long, I felt that space could have been used more wisely. Rather than reading examples, I'd have preferred to read more about how to apply these principles more carefully to my own life.

All in all, thi...more
Adam Voyton
Reminds you: take personal accountability for your actions! A great message. Also, a brief read.
Wellington

This book I read cover to cover while sitting in the waiting room of the doctor's office. So, chalk one complaint for the doctor and chalk one refreshing point for the book.

QBQ = Questions behind the question and this is a sequel to the book I didn't read.

You can summarize this book by just saying "Take ownership". It's nothing new that we have probably not heard before in some corporate seminar or college class. Sometimes, though it's nice to hear some stories of an ownership mindset that actua...more
Lain
Not the beefiest book on the block (125-ish pages with big type), this little volume is still full of great insights. Nothing earth-shaking, but plenty of reminders of how to remove yourself from the victim mentality and move forward in life. There are also many anecdotes that help drive the points home. Easy to read, uplifting, encouraging.

I'm looking forward to reading QBQ as well.
Jon
This was a fast read. Nothing really new . . . the main focus is on personal accountability in all areas of our life. Instead of looking outside of ourselves and blaming, look for solutions we can and do have control over. There were several good stories in the book illustrating the principle of personal accountability.

Jon
Sarah Beth
I read this for a book club at work. I'm generally disdainful of self-help books in general and I can't say that this was any great exception but it did have some general practical life advice. Basically, turn everything inwards and don't blame others. Personal accountability. Not a bad principal.
Jonathan
Great follow up to QBQ. My biggest criticism of QBQ was that I wanted more concrete things to act upon other than just asking better questions. By giving goal like Learning, trust, creativity, service, ownership, I think that this books can guide our thought-life even more.
Aldin
The book is very intresting, pretty much its all about takeing the negativity away. so instead of asking negative question you would replace them with posatives how i can do this. what can i do. and so forth. I like the book over all very short read
Jason
An easy read, and a good pick-me-up for when you didn't get that promotion at work. Otherwise, it's the standard "I can" self-help message that reminds us to think positively and look for the silver lining. Good message to take away : I can only control me.
Lori
Would *anyone* mistake this for the kind of book I enjoy?

Even outside my general type, this self-help tome was particularly grating. For god's sake, it has an acronym in the title. The general public doesn't automatically translate "QBQ."
Carolyn
A good, short read to encourage us all to stop grumbling and blaming (yes, I'm guilty too!) and take action and personal accountability in our lives. A fast way to recharge us to be better employees and also applies to our personal lives.
Steve
Pretty much what one would expect from a public speaker- his standard presentation in a short book. Easy to read and very short, there isn't much to this book. It emphasises personal accountability.
Will
Decent read, but don't recall it adding too much to his original book, The QBQ. If you only read one of his books, I'd recommend the QBQ. This is decent but the other is more foundational material.
Kristine
Personal accountability....what is it these days. And how to I take accountability for myself, let alone teach it to my children. This book very simply explains how. It is in two basic questions.
Shane Burgel
A little more specific than the QBQ book, but the message is the same. Take personal accountability to a new level in your life and see what happens.
ByTheFire
Probably more like a 4 rating. Another recommended book for our Leadership Team. I really like the emphasis on the power of personal accountability.
Gina Harper
The book was a good reminder of the first book, QBQ. Short and enjoyable, but repetitive.
William
A good companion to QBQ! as it goes into the details of flipping the switch to the QBQ! thinking.
Michael
Awesome book to learn when it comes to deal situation and start turning the table
Joseph
Follow up, some practicality. I can see a whole franchise forming around this book.
Josh Brown
I need to be more humble.

Trust takes time - I have to be patient.
This book was too repetitive of the information in QBQ.
Erin Raak
great read after the QBQ book.
Cathy
Liked John Miller's first book better.
Terry Awls
Great follow up to QBQ!
Animashaun
Animashaun marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Michael Hermann
Michael Hermann marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
  • The Legend of the Monk and the Merchant: Principles for Successful Living
  • No More Mondays: Fire Yourself -- and Other Revolutionary Ways to Discover Your True Calling at Work
  • Rhinoceros Success
  • The One-Life Solution: Reclaim Your Personal Life While Achieving Greater Professional Success
  • Thou Shall Prosper: Ten Commandments for Making Money
  • The Power of Who: You Already Know Everyone You Need to Know
  • Business by the Book: The Complete Guide of Biblical Principles for the Workplace
  • The Go-Getter (a Story That Tells You How to Be One)
  • Becoming a Person of Influence
  • Guerrilla Marketing: Easy and Inexpensive Strategies for Making Big Profits from Your Small Business
  • Roaring Lambs: A Gentle Plan to Radically Change Your World
  • The One Minute Entrepreneur: The Secret to Creating and Sustaining a Successful Business
  • The Mentor Leader: Secrets to Building People and Teams That Win Consistently
  • The Little Big Things: 163 Ways to Pursue EXCELLENCE
  • More than Enough: The Ten Keys to Changing Your Financial Destiny
  • Find Your Strongest Life: What the Happiest and Most Successful Women Do Differently
  • Boys Should Be Boys: 7 Secrets to Raising Healthy Sons
  • Stop Acting Rich... and Start Living Like a Real Millionaire
QBQ! The Question Behind the Question: Practicing Personal Accountability at Work and in Life Outstanding!: 47 Ways to Make Your Organization Exceptional Parenting the QBQ Way: How to be an Outstanding Parent and Raise Great Kids Using the Power of Personal Accountability Personal Accountability : Powerful and Practical Ideas for You and Your Organization Parenting the QBQ Way, Expanded Edition: How to be an Outstanding Parent and Raise Great Kids Using the Power of Personal Accountability