Start by marking “Flipping the Switch...: Unleash the Power of Personal Accountability Using the Qbq!” as Want to Read:

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  479 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
In his bestselling book QBQ! The Question Behind the Question, John G. Miller revealed how personal accountability helps to create opportunity, overcome obstacles, and achieve goals by eliminating blame, complaining, and procrastination. The result? Stronger organizations, more dynamic teams, and healthier relationships. Now Miller takes readers to the next level to show h ...more
Published December 1st 2005 by Putnam Adult

To ask other readers questions about Flipping the Switch..., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flipping the Switch...

Brent Doria
Feb 19, 2015 Brent Doria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a quick read (like an hour and a half) but it was filled with a lot of great examples of what it means to have personal accountability. It's very easy to point the finger at others for why things go wrong, whether it's at work or in your personal life. After having read "QBQ: The Question Behind the Question," I saw the importance of looking at what differences I can make in my own personal relationships and my relationships at work. This gives a brief review of what the QBQ is at ...more
Cindy
Jul 08, 2015 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good book on personal accountability - I had not read QBQ but that didn't seem to make much difference as the author takes the time to explain the concepts there. This is a quick read and there isn't much repetition. It is something that should be taken to heart in all areas of business, especially those involved with customer service.
Tommy Milazzo
Jan 07, 2015 Tommy Milazzo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Responsibility is important to anyone, right? This short novel goes through the steps of taking personal accountability and take action in your life. It has a step by step walkthrough of how you can become a better person and lead a more prosperous life. Giving real life examples in the text really drives the point home too. Seeing other peoples' problems and how they work with them help you to formulate your own ideas and solutions in your life. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone ...more
Robert Wood
Jun 11, 2016 Robert Wood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent continuation of the first book "QBQ The Question Behind the Question." This is Accountability at it's best. A must read for all employees in all organizations. All organizations would do them selves a great bit of good by making these two books a requirement for employment.
Jason Cox
Mar 28, 2011 Jason Cox rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good book overall. Definitely start with the previous book - QBQ, which discusses the fundamental concept of making sure you're asking the right questions to make forward progress.

Flipping the Switch takes it to the next level, though, discussing Application Principles that add to the QBQ. The application principles are Learning, Ownership, Creativity, Service, and Trust. Each section gives a relatively brief discussion of the principle, how it relates the the QBQ concept, and an entertai
Laura Bird knight
I didn't see much difference compared to the original QBQ book, but still an easy quick read that will get your mind moving in a more positive direction
Jen
Jan 04, 2009 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
While QBQ told us what a QBQ was, Flipping the Switch tells us how to implement it. However, I felt that Miller spent far too much time rehashing the principles of QBQ. He gave us letters, examples, and demonstrations of how the principles can work in our lives, but at only a little over 120 pages long, I felt that space could have been used more wisely. Rather than reading examples, I'd have preferred to read more about how to apply these principles more carefully to my own life.

All in all, thi
Adam Voyton
Mar 18, 2014 Adam Voyton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
Reminds you: take personal accountability for your actions! A great message. Also, a brief read.
Sarah Ashley
Super short and quick read--was required reading for work.
Wellington
Jun 03, 2009 Wellington rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This book I read cover to cover while sitting in the waiting room of the doctor's office. So, chalk one complaint for the doctor and chalk one refreshing point for the book.

QBQ = Questions behind the question and this is a sequel to the book I didn't read.

You can summarize this book by just saying "Take ownership". It's nothing new that we have probably not heard before in some corporate seminar or college class. Sometimes, though it's nice to hear some stories of an ownership mindset that actua
Stephen
Jan 06, 2015 Stephen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
READ JAN 2015

Nice companion to the original QBQ! Good for individual contributors, team leaders, or people leaders.
Lain
Aug 01, 2009 Lain rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not the beefiest book on the block (125-ish pages with big type), this little volume is still full of great insights. Nothing earth-shaking, but plenty of reminders of how to remove yourself from the victim mentality and move forward in life. There are also many anecdotes that help drive the points home. Easy to read, uplifting, encouraging.

I'm looking forward to reading QBQ as well.
Jon
Oct 03, 2011 Jon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
This was a fast read. Nothing really new . . . the main focus is on personal accountability in all areas of our life. Instead of looking outside of ourselves and blaming, look for solutions we can and do have control over. There were several good stories in the book illustrating the principle of personal accountability.

Jon
Sarah Beth
I read this for a book club at work. I'm generally disdainful of self-help books in general and I can't say that this was any great exception but it did have some general practical life advice. Basically, turn everything inwards and don't blame others. Personal accountability. Not a bad principal.
Jonathan
Apr 16, 2009 Jonathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
Great follow up to QBQ. My biggest criticism of QBQ was that I wanted more concrete things to act upon other than just asking better questions. By giving goal like Learning, trust, creativity, service, ownership, I think that this books can guide our thought-life even more.
Aldin
Feb 22, 2012 Aldin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is very intresting, pretty much its all about takeing the negativity away. so instead of asking negative question you would replace them with posatives how i can do this. what can i do. and so forth. I like the book over all very short read
Jason
Jun 10, 2008 Jason rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An easy read, and a good pick-me-up for when you didn't get that promotion at work. Otherwise, it's the standard "I can" self-help message that reminds us to think positively and look for the silver lining. Good message to take away : I can only control me.
Lori
Aug 10, 2007 Lori rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2006april
Would *anyone* mistake this for the kind of book I enjoy?

Even outside my general type, this self-help tome was particularly grating. For god's sake, it has an acronym in the title. The general public doesn't automatically translate "QBQ."
Carolyn
A good, short read to encourage us all to stop grumbling and blaming (yes, I'm guilty too!) and take action and personal accountability in our lives. A fast way to recharge us to be better employees and also applies to our personal lives.
Steve
Feb 02, 2009 Steve rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Pretty much what one would expect from a public speaker- his standard presentation in a short book. Easy to read and very short, there isn't much to this book. It emphasises personal accountability.
Will
Aug 26, 2012 Will rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decent read, but don't recall it adding too much to his original book, The QBQ. If you only read one of his books, I'd recommend the QBQ. This is decent but the other is more foundational material.
Kristine
Feb 16, 2010 Kristine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Personal accountability....what is it these days. And how to I take accountability for myself, let alone teach it to my children. This book very simply explains how. It is in two basic questions.
Shane Burgel
Apr 28, 2009 Shane Burgel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
A little more specific than the QBQ book, but the message is the same. Take personal accountability to a new level in your life and see what happens.
ByTheFire
Probably more like a 4 rating. Another recommended book for our Leadership Team. I really like the emphasis on the power of personal accountability.
Gina Harper
The book was a good reminder of the first book, QBQ. Short and enjoyable, but repetitive.
William
A good companion to QBQ! as it goes into the details of flipping the switch to the QBQ! thinking.
Michael
Mar 11, 2011 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book to learn when it comes to deal situation and start turning the table
Joseph
Follow up, some practicality. I can see a whole franchise forming around this book.
MVV
Jun 06, 2016 MVV rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A small book that makes a small point: Personal Accountability.
Josh Brown
Apr 22, 2009 Josh Brown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
I need to be more humble.

Trust takes time - I have to be patient.
  • No More Mondays: Fire Yourself -- and Other Revolutionary Ways to Discover Your True Calling at Work
  • The Legend of the Monk and the Merchant: Principles for Successful Living
  • The One-Life Solution: Reclaim Your Personal Life While Achieving Greater Professional Success
  • The Power of Who: You Already Know Everyone You Need to Know
  • Business By The Book: Complete Guide of Biblical Principles for the Workplace
  • Rhinoceros Success
  • Thou Shall Prosper: Ten Commandments for Making Money
  • Roaring Lambs: A Gentle Plan to Radically Change Your World
  • Descending Into Greatness
  • The Go-Getter (a Story That Tells You How to Be One)
  • More than Enough: The Ten Keys to Changing Your Financial Destiny
  • Becoming a Person of Influence: How to Positively Impact the Lives of Others
  • Guerrilla Marketing: Easy and Inexpensive Strategies for Making Big Profits from Your Small Business
  • The One Minute Entrepreneur: The Secret to Creating and Sustaining a Successful Business
  • The Little Big Things: 163 Ways to Pursue EXCELLENCE
  • The Great Eight: How to Be Happy (Even When You Have Every Reason to be Miserable)
  • Find Your Strongest Life: What the Happiest and Most Successful Women Do Differently
  • Creating Your Personal Life Plan: A Step-by-Step Guide for Designing the Life You've Always Wanted

“if someone’s worked and been paid for twenty-two years, wasn’t that the agreement? Don’t get me wrong—loyalty is a good thing—but I have a hard time understanding why we feel we deserve something more” 0 likes