Tell

Tell

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  106 ratings  ·  33 reviews
"He said they want to talk to you, David." "They?" I said. "The cops?" She nodded. "What for?" I don't think I ever worked harder at getting just two words out of my mouth. I tried to sound like I had no idea what the cops would want with me. When hi
Published January 1st 2006 by Orca Book Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Tell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tell

Trevor Schmoldt
"Tell" by Norah McClintock was a very good book,and the plot was present day time. The weather or seasons were never brought up. The story first starts off with David and his mother. He had a step dad named Phil that took great care of him. As far as David knew his real dad is dead.

Phil was one of the main characters, who was only home on the weekends. Phil took care of David, his brother,and their mother. Phil drove semi over the road and made pretty good money. David was a fifteen year old...more
Tinsley Tullos
If you are looking for an easy read, this book is perfect! I read it in less then an hour, and I could'nt put it down. It was such a shock when I found out that the step father chose not to help the little boy when he was drowning. I thought it was sad when the mom thought that the son had killed the step father, and I just wanted scream at her for not believing him. All along i thought it was the step father's friend Jack, but it wasnt. I loved how Jack told David the truth about his real fathe...more
Chuck
This is a story about a family that has been through several tragedy's . When the stepdad takes the younger son fishing and then he falls in and drowns . The stepdad said it was an accident, but he was a good swimmer and could of saved the boy. The stepdad then goes out late one night to an ATM to get money for his poker game, he is shot and killed. The older boy saw the whole thing but he didn't call for help, just like his stepdad didn't help his brother.

Phil is the stepdad, he likes to gamble...more
Teen
From School Library Journal: “In poker, a "tell" is a sign that someone is bluffing. It might be a twitch, a nervous cough, or a glance. David learned a lot about tells as he watched his stepfather play the game. Now the man has been murdered, and the teen lies when a policeman shows up on his doorstep asking questions. The police quickly focus in on him, and in convincing them of his innocence, David thinks back to his stepfather's tells and realizes some long-hidden truths about his family. Em...more
Crystal Alexander

Author Norah McClintock
Publisher Orca Book Publishers Year 2006
# of pages 100 Genre Reluctant Readers
Reading level 4th Interest level High School
Potential hot lava: The only thing that I could come up with as to why it would be bad was the fact that David’s step-father gets shot and the book is about David trying to keep it a secret.

General response/reaction: When I first s...more
Jessica Abarquez
Raul Salazar
Detective Antonelli stared at me. He said, “Where did u get the gun?”
“What gun?”
“Come on, David,” he said. “Your stepfather was shot dead. Your mother found the missing picture of your brother in the clothes dryer. Your clothes were the only ones in the dryer. We know for a fact that you were in the immediate area right before your stepfather was shot.
This quote is from the book I read tell by Norah McClintock, my thoughts about this book is that its and interesting and easy book to read. The...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Holly for TeensReadToo.com

Where did you get the gun? Where did you hide it after you murdered him? How did you even do it?

These are all questions that Detective Antonelli asked David, the main character of TELL, after his stepfather, Phil, was shot and killed.

All signs pointed to David when the police found out that he was only a block away from the crime scene. Not to mention that he was there with Phil just moments before his stepfather's death. David has no way of talking himsel...more
Fullerton
I think that this book is alot more diffrent for the other books from this series that I have read. I think that this book is a better perspective told in first person than telling it in third like usual. this book doesn't tell you who did it until the very end and there aren't alot of hints to give you idea of who did it.
This book Is about a boy named david that has a setep father that was just murdered by a bank robbing. david is accused of being the killer. david must now proove his inesenc...more
Terry
A solid outing from the ORCA Soundings series for teen readers. This comes off like an episode of "Law and Order" with David's step-father being murdered and then the investigation turning to David. There's a little bit of poker, a bit of dealing with the death of a younger brother, a police-station confession. McClintock keeps the action moving. This isn't quite as good as Riley Park or Down, but it is well worth checking out.
Tiffany Derrick
If your a person who doesnt really enjoy reading but like alot of mystery n crime scenes then this book is for you.Iam a person who hates reading but once i started reading this book i couldnt put it down because every page was a new mystery.One moment you think you know who was behind the murder then a few pages later the book has you confused.Besides that the book is only 114 pages and is very good so if your interested in mystery you should read this trust me you wont be dissapointed.
Arieles E.
Tell is a book that make you think twice who you are friends with and who can you trust.For exampled in the book Jake who was the dad fiend and play poker with is now going after the mom .Tell is a mystery book you have to be in it to understand what going on to find out the mystery. For me tell was not was good because I am not all in to mystery. The reason why I dont like mystery is because I dont like to look for the clues.
Chadley Git-R-Dun Renfield
I give this book a 4 star so far the book is pretty good. it makes you want to keep reading it to find out whats going to happen next. So far its about a boy and his mom and his step was was just murdered. right now there is detectives working on figuring out who killed him and why they killed him. Im guessing that the son had something to do with his step dads murder.
Nicole
~has a few spoilers~ it was so great! very descriptive ! good story. loved how they made you so curious who killed him. loved how they made stories for the characters . but the ending was too quick and bland . the killer wasnt event really revealed . they just said it was a "guy" no description of him or anything. loved how David watched him die like Phil did to Jaime.
Alyssa Haught
Alyssa Haught pd.5-6 Tell by: Norah McClintock 1oo pages 9/29/09 i give it an 8.

I give this book an 8 because i thought that it kept my attention very good. i thought the book would have ended differently but it kind of had an ironic twist. It is a very entertaining book about two murders lead to another but there is many time in between the murders.
Zach
this book is about a kid named David who is awaken by the plice at his door. While his mom is sad he doesnt seem to care about it. Because of his attitude he becomes the prime suspect toward his step-dads murder. Does he know anyyhing about it. To know more read the book. I think this is a good book because it is intense.
Maddie
David's step father is killed and he is the prime suspect. David is not too sad about Phil's death. Throughout the book David is investigated. Also he figure out Phil was into gambling and poker. David reveals that Phil would cheat during a card game. This then leads to a huge discovery of Davids little brother Jamie's death.
Zack
This is a good book I liked it because it was a good murder book it kept. Me gussing who killed the stepfather of David.He was a gambler and he liked it. His wasn't that good so he cheated a lot. David didn't like it to much. This was a good book for me and probably for other people.
Edward
ireally like this books, i think there should be more book like it. i see the trouble the main charcther went thought and what happens to him ireally really bad about his lost and i started tp tear up towards the end of the book. me i think you should read i give it 4 out of 5
Andrea
this book is great!if you want to read a mystery. its about aboy in high school who step father diedand the cops think its him.if you read this book you would love it.it also mae you think twice about who ur friends are.
Allona Wray
This book is very supensive in many parts through out the chapters. This book tackles a topic about murder. How much does David know about his fathers murder. This book takes place mostly in an irigation room.
Daryl
It was an outstanding book and i loved what David did to his mother. He told her the truth about his dead stepfather and e.t.c !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Suzanne Hamilton
David has figured out the truth about his murdered stepfather. Will he be able to convince the police, who want to pin the murder on him?
Vinnie Garcia
Oct 22, 2007 Vinnie Garcia rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: PEOPLE THAT LIKE MYSTERY
this book is cool it is a who did who at what time. David tells the cops he might know who killed his father but will david tell more?
bjneary
David has to "Tell" the police what he knows about his stepfather's death.....
Kenneth taylor
this book was good the ending wasn't so good though
Amanda
The ending was really a huge twist, loved it!
Corey Proctor
I thought that it was alright.
Jessie
Decent but should have been longer.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Norah McClintock’s fascinating mysteries are hard to put down. Her Chloe & Levesque series, Mike & Riel series, and Robyn Hunter series, all published by Scholastic Canada, have been popular with readers in many countries. Norah has also written several crime novels for reluctant readers in the Orca Soundings series from Orca Book Publishers,

Norah is a five-time winner of the Crime Writer...more
More about Norah McClintock...
Taken Last Chance (Robyn Hunter, #1) You Can Run (Robyn Hunter, #2) Out of the Cold (Robyn Hunter, #4) Nothing to Lose (Robyn Hunter, #3)