Start by marking “The Secret Power of Middle Children: How Middleborns Can Harness Their Unexpected and RemarkableAbilities” as Want to Read:

Published August 4th 2011 by Hudson Street Press

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Power of Middle Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Power of Middle Children

Scott Lupo
Sep 06, 2011 Scott Lupo rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
What an interesting book. I've only read a little about birth order studies in the past and this book basically summarizes those studies and adds some new information in an easy to read format. I'm a middle child and I can honestly say this book pretty much describes me to a tee. Unfortunately, none of the secret powers are superpowers. I was so hoping I could read people's minds or something. But seriously, there is some great information about how birth order affects an individual's upbringing ...more
Elizabeth
Aug 22, 2011 Elizabeth rated it liked it
A fascinating collection of research and anecdotes delving into the oft-neglected and misunderstood world of the middle-child. A lot of birth-order researchers have previously focused on first and last-born, so this researcher, Catherine Salmon, felt compelled to investigate and write about the middle child.

At times, it felt the author was manipulating her display of statistics in order to prove her point, rather than the other way around. She frequently cites stats like "52 percent of US Presi
Shavawn Berry
Feb 21, 2015 Shavawn Berry rated it really liked it
As a middle child, I found the information in this book rather fascinating. I especially enjoyed seeing how much impact middle children have had as leaders, artists, creators, innovators. I was also surprised to see the connection between my empathic nature and being middleborn. It is apparently a common trait in middle children. It also saddened me to realize that all of these great qualities may go away as families shrink to just one or two children. A thoughtful book on an often overlooked su ...more
Darlene Hull
Jan 19, 2012 Darlene Hull rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Very interesting. I love wearing the badge of having "middle child syndrome" when it can get me some sympathy from my parents (jazz joking) but I found some of the insights in here quite true and empowering. Her comments on how the world might be affected by the lack of middle children was also rather interesting. A great read if you have a middle child, are married to a middle child, or if you are a middle child.
Brian
Dec 06, 2011 Brian rated it liked it
This book examines how the experiences of middle children during their formative years may serve as excellent preparation for certain situations in adult life. Many of the assertions will not come as a surprise, but it is useful to read about them all together in one book. At times, the chapters felt like they were rehashing points already made, but it wasn't enough repetition to turn me off of reading the book all the way through.

The author backs up some claims with studies, and others with ane
Hayley
Oct 09, 2013 Hayley rated it did not like it
I would have rated this book less than one star if possible.

Catherine Salmon speaks in such broad generalities about birth order and personality that I cannot take this book seriously. There is a bibliography but no footnotes. So, for instance, when Salmon make the sweeping statement that parents of middle children don't often think of these children as distinct and capable, we don't know what has led her to this conclusion. She tells us that younger mothers are more likely than older mothers to
Robbin
Mar 12, 2013 Robbin rated it really liked it
My interest in birth order developed because I kept noticing similarities between people that were of the same birth order. I am a middle born (2 older and 2 younger sisters) so my curiosity was spiked when I found this book. The author convinced me birth order has influence over your entire life from interaction with siblings and parents, handling of intimate relationships, to parenting. The real life examples of very famous middle borns like Abraham Lincoln added impact and understanding.

I not
Maria McGrath
Sep 12, 2016 Maria McGrath rated it it was ok
Shelves: psychology
I picked this up off the library shelves, and the proud and thrilled expression on the faces of my son and my in-laws was worth it, but the psychological insights seemed a little too broad (like a horoscope) and applicable to just about anyone (I've read that sketch of permissive, authoritarian, and authoritative parenting in dozens of books, usually done a bit better).
The thing that really blows the book out of the water, though, is that her choice to demonstrate the superior negotiating style
Trulie
Feb 12, 2012 Trulie rated it really liked it
This book was really interesting! I don't always self-identify myself as a middle child. Even though I'm the 2nd of 7, I am the oldest girl and so I often classify myself as an oldest child along with my brother. But, I found this book really insightful. I feel like I do have a better understanding of my personality: both strengths and weaknesses after reading it. If you're a middle child or are involved with a middle child in some way (spouse, children, friend, etc), I think you'd find it insig ...more
Beverly Ho
Aug 22, 2013 Beverly Ho rated it really liked it
Overall, the context resonated with me. I didn't read it page by page but would read it in details when the topic seemed interesting. I am a middle child. The book highlighted the traits of middle child, and why and when they are great traits. I had a few aha moments. I would recommend this book if you are interested in personalities.

I agree with the author that the birth order affects us strongly on how we see the world and handle difficult situations.
Ann
Aug 23, 2012 Ann rated it really liked it
some interesting family dynamic studies. i'd very much like to have Salmon and Susan Cain, the author of Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking collaborate. Would be very curious about the likelihood of middles being introverts. middles are definitely outer directed, but i know some very quiet (not shy) middles.
Angela
Jan 30, 2012 Angela rated it really liked it
This is groundbreaking work noting the special skills middle children acquire as peacemakers, negotiators and people who are willing and able to quickly adapt in social situations. Middle children have long needed a platform, and have found that through performance, whether musically, through acting or on the speech circuit.
Tonya
Jun 18, 2016 Tonya rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book was an interesting look at middle children. As a middle, I related well to the concepts in this book, and I liked the stories about middle's contributions to society in general. It was worth reading.
Monica
Jul 11, 2012 Monica rated it did not like it
I couldn't finish this book. To put a lot of emphasis on birth order seems silly after you read the six factors, with multiple sub-factors, that can affect birth order. Maybe this book would be helpful to parents while raising their children, but I just couldn't stick with the book.

Elisabeth
May 22, 2012 Elisabeth rated it liked it
Heard an interview with the authors on NPR, where middles called in to share. This book is quite interesting. My husband is a middle, we have two middle children, and I can definitely see how each of them fit the middle personality.
Andrew Hull
Sep 13, 2011 Andrew Hull rated it really liked it
Very interesting book on the dynamics of family and birth order. Provided both research findings, implications of these findings, and recommendations for addressing and utilizing the strengths and weaknesses of middle children.
Lucy Briggs
Sep 10, 2011 Lucy Briggs rated it liked it
Recommended to Lucy by: Cat Briggs
Cat recommends because of NPR story. Note for middles, a bit of parental neglect isn't always a bad thing.
Curt
Jul 24, 2012 Curt added it
Loved it. Lots of good insights on birth order and personality traits. Some of it was applicable to my experiences, some of it missed the mark, but overall it was a good read.
Emily
Jun 20, 2015 Emily rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Loved the fascinating data and stories in this book about middle children... I never really thought about how my personality and life has been partly shaped by my middle-born status.
Hope
Aug 23, 2012 Hope rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won a copy through the Goodreads' Firstreads program.

I'm not a middle child, but I entered to win this for my sister who is. I'm sure she'll enjoy! :)
Jaime
Oct 27, 2011 Jaime rated it liked it
Really good insite into the psychology of birth orders and why certain people have distinct characteristics.
Gunjan Yogendra
Jul 27, 2016 Gunjan Yogendra rated it really liked it
Accidentally stumbled upon! Eye-opener for me, a good start to read if you want to understand birth-order research - read and then view the world with this perspective, but with a pinch of salt.
Lisa
Aug 23, 2012 Lisa rated it liked it
* I received this book free through a goodreads giveaway*
This was an interesting read. I have 3 children and my middle child is definitley a treat! I got a new insight on how to handle her!
Austin
Jul 25, 2015 Austin rated it liked it
Interesting read that despite the author's PhD leaned more pop psychology and self-help than hard science at times.
Daley Bridges
Daley Bridges rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2016
Jia Hui
Jia Hui rated it liked it
Oct 05, 2011
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2015
Garrett Dunnington
Garrett Dunnington rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2012
Dee
Dee rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2015
Elinor Pearson, W
Elinor Pearson, W rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • What Your Explosive Child Is Trying to Tell You: Discovering the Pathway from Symptoms to Solutions
  • Dear Daughter: The Best of the Dear Leta Letters
  • The New Feminist Agenda
  • Myths of Motherhood: How Culture Reinvents the Good Mother
  • Zapped: Why Your Cell Phone Shouldn't Be Your Alarm Clock and 1,268 Ways to Outsmart the Hazards of Electronic Pollution
  • We Love Each Other, but... Simple Secrets to Strengthen Your Relationship and Make Love Last
  • The Now Effect: How a Mindful Moment Can Change the Rest of Your Life
  • The Mama's Boy Myth: Why Keeping Our Sons Close Makes Them Stronger
  • The Soulmate Experience: A Practical Guide to Creating Extraordinary Relationships
  • How the Hot Dog Found Its Bun: Accidental Discoveries and Unexpected Inspirations That Shape What We Eat and Drink
  • It's So Much Work to Be Your Friend: Helping the Child with Learning Disabilities Find Social Success
  • The User's Guide to the Human Mind: Why Our Brains Make Us Unhappy, Anxious, and Neurotic and What We Can Do about It
  • Medical Muses: Hysteria in Nineteenth-Century Paris
  • All Dogs Have ADHD
  • Broad Influence: How Women Are Changing the Way America Works
  • Discardia
  • Crazy: Notes On and Off the Couch
  • When You Eat at the Refrigerator, Pull Up a Chair: 50 Ways to Feel Thin, Gorgeous, and Happy {When You Feel Anything But}

“Middle children become great listeners. They understand the value of acknowledging others’ positions and feelings, and use this information as ammunition to help them get what they want.” 0 likes