Start by marking “The Chomsky Reader” as Want to Read:
The Chomsky Reader

The Chomsky Reader

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  1,050 ratings  ·  30 reviews
The political and linguistic writings of America's leading dissident intellectual. He relates his political ideals to his theories about language.

From the Trade Paperback edition.
Published November 10th 2010 by Pantheon (first published September 12th 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Chomsky Reader, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chomsky Reader

Markus
Everything about Chomsky is so cool and interesting except actually reading him. I mean its ok but I have a hard time getting into the mid 80's political lanscape of Nicaragua right now. So I tried his linguistics stuff, oh brother...
Whatever, he's still a fucking genius.
Zac
Nov 12, 2008 Zac rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: political junkies of all stripes
Shelves: political, radical
An interesting fellow. Some topics I'll have to study more (I have a page of titles lifted from the notes section, and a bookmark in the notes section that just says "everything on this chapter.")

Very interesting examination of twentieth century events, particularly involving U.S. wars and indigenous economic improvement. Also a couple chapters on mind and language.

If you're not firmly welded to the idea that your own country has to be seen as the great Goodguy by all, it's quite illuminating. R...more
Susannah
"If men were angels there would be no need of laws." Americans never claimed to be angels and he is just another person disappointed in the reality separating ideology from its makers and exposing them as just more erring human beings.
I think Chomsky knows how to think, speak, and analyze brillliantly and incisively - though if he doesn't I'm not finishing this thing - but if all he does is publicly nag on the US and people, standing apart and judging, then of course he is able to remain "relen...more
Spicer
Dec 20, 2007 Spicer rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody
I'm finding it very difficult to read any contemporary, non-fiction works. Despite the potential subject matter being so ripe, most of what I've read can only be described as variations on howling, regardless of socio-political persuasion. Am I sounding cynical?

Therefore, I've re-embarked on the wonderful (though disturbing) journey of "The Chomsky Reader." I cannot adequately expresss how refreshing (though disturbing) it is to read works that are so well thought out and articulate. For the tim...more
Devon  Start
seriously not a fan of this guy. i think i like his politics, but i am not sure. but he is also like mike moore and abit sensational and to get that he plays fast and loose with the facts.
he qoutes the bayonet as the number one killer in ww1. the bayonets effect is largely phsycological, you run before you stand around to get speared in the gut with it. anyway his facts are verifiably wrong on this, and if these facts are off, well everyting else is now suspect.
Adam
You know, I hate to say it, but Chomsky's a bore of a read. Sure, it's hard to argue with his tirelessly researched positions, but he doesn't command engagement from the reader, either. I feel like Chomsky's theses are rehashed in response to each new current event, compiled in each new book. I might like to read a book by another author discussing his positions, just to read his ideas from a different voice, you know what I mean?
Jane
Mar 20, 2013 Jane is currently reading it
So far about 60% through this book which is very good at explaining the political thinking behind eg the Vietnam War. It is really changing my perception! In some ways it would be more comfortable not to think about these issues, but he really helps explain the complex modern world of aggressive capitalism.
CJ
Jul 10, 2007 CJ rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who need a dose of cynicism about US foreign policy
Chomsky is an understandably upset man. Universal grammar is lame, but worse yet the Western academics, American Press, and the American government practice significant amounts of disinformation among themselves and the American people. This book is a collection of essays that does a pretty good job of hitting highlights of U.S. support for human rights abusing regimes and pointing out some likely points of hypocrisy on the part of the U.S. and mainstream academics. The cynicism clouds believabi...more
Michael
One of about five books I've really taken a lot of pride in reading, but not fully appreciating. Lots and lots of information, lots and lots of accusations and some evidence. difficult to read only because it flies in the face of everything you already know, accept and think of as American foreign policy...at least that's how it went for me. Read in conjunction with What's the Matter with Kansas?
James
This book is exrtremely eye-opening, but not very readable. Chomsky is brilliant and this book is filled with information about the world. Since it is a collection of older articles, a lot of the material is out-of-date but interesting in a historical perspective. However, I think his newer writings are much more approachable than the older stuff.
Joachim
An incredibly lucid and well-documented analysis of state systems and their complete blindness to their own bias, propaganda and hypocrisy.

People often label Chomsky as a lefty, but his books are a must for anyone interested in critical thinking, skepticism and honesty.
dario
In iddle times, it quits from the usual point of view. Of course, Noam likes those savages points of views.
But at the end, it lays a lot of layers of data, misconceptions, beliefs and truths that is overwhelming.
Period!
MariMel
Tim
This is one of those that I keep returning to time and time again. "The Responsibility of the Intellectuals" is just as important now as when it was originally written.
Hudi
Buku yang wajib dibaca bagi siapa yang ingin mengenal Chomsky. Buku membahas beberapa pokok-pokok pikiran Chomsky mengenai linguistik, politik internasional, dan media.
William Porter
A great intellectual read for anyone interested in foreign global policy and or the media and it's mind control...
Cheryl
Dec 04, 2012 Cheryl marked it as not-for-me  ·  review of another edition
My interests have changed since I bought this - and I'm ruthlessly culling my shelves today. bye-bye!
Angie
There's a lot of information and history here. If I do my homework, I'll understand it a little more.
Kent
This has an awesome essay about the Spanish revolution and liberals who don't really believe in democracy.
Imelda
nature or nurture: those who believe in 'linguistics faculty' in human brain,should read this book.
Thomas

Great stuff. Though most of the content is available online (see www.chomsky.info)
Kate
Oct 31, 2008 Kate marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who are politically exhausted
Shelves: shelved
ok, so i'll come back to this one. can only read one depressing non-fiction book at a time...
Ruby Pham
Always rereading this book... and I reread it when I recommend it to somebody.
laura
I am enjoying this book which goes into chomskys ideals and his background.
Michelle
almost a necessity for any of us who work in and study Mass Communications.
Biogeek
Always thought-provoking and intensely articulate.
Ahimsa
This is perhaps the most depressing book ever written.
Petra Xtra Crunchy
Something I dip into when I'm feeling contrary.
Ryan
Nov 05, 2007 Ryan rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
DONT TRUST INTELLECTUALS. (good advice!)
Pippa
This is incredibly valuable work.
  • The Zinn Reader: Writings on Disobedience and Democracy
  • Rich Media, Poor Democracy: Communication Politics in Dubious Times
  • One Market Under God: Extreme Capitalism, Market Populism, and the End of Economic Democracy
  • Against Civilization: Readings and Reflections
  • A Practical Guide to Racism
  • Anarcho-Syndicalism: Theory and Practice
  • Known and Unknown: A Memoir
  • Al Qaeda and What It Means to Be Modern
  • Writings (Library of America #109)
  • The Fourth Star: Four Generals and the Epic Struggle for the Future of the United States Army
  • The Vintage Mencken
  • The Battle for Gotham: New York in the Shadow of Robert Moses and Jane Jacobs
  • The Exception to the Rulers: Exposing Oily Politicians, War Profiteers, and the Media That Love Them
Avram Noam Chomsky is an American linguist, philosopher, political activist, author, and lecturer. He is an Institute Professor and professor emeritus of linguistics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Chomsky is credited with the creation of the theory of generative grammar, considered to be one of the most significant contributions to the field of linguistics made in the 20th century. H...more
More about Noam Chomsky...
Manufacturing Consent: The Political Economy of the Mass Media Hegemony or Survival: America's Quest for Global Dominance Understanding Power: The Indispensable Chomsky Failed States: The Abuse of Power and the Assault on Democracy Profit Over People: Neoliberalism and Global Order