Start by marking “Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes: The Authorized Adaptation” as Want to Read:
Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes: The Authorized Adaptation

Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes: The Authorized Adaptation

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  223 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Cooger and Dark’s Pandemonium Shadow Show howls into Green Town, Illinois, at three in the morning a week before Halloween. Under its carnival tents is a mirror maze that steals wishes; a carousel that promises eternal life, in exchange for your soul; the Dust Witch, who unerringly foresees your death; and Mr. Dark, the Illustrated Man, who has lived for centuries off the ...more
Published July 19th 2011 by Hill and Wang (first published May 24th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes

Matthew
I would count Bradbury's Martian Chronicles, Something Wicked This Way Comes and Dandelion Wine as some of my all-time favorite books. I'm also quite familiar with Wimberly's artwork, so I had pretty high expectations for this. While both the plot and Wimberly's art are great, I was really annoyed with how text-heavy it is. There are many pages----especially in the beginning----where the word balloons crowd out the pictures. I understand the desire to get Bradbury's words in there because his wo ...more
Eric
Jan 26, 2012 Eric rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Ray Bradbury fans
This authorized adaptation fixed everything that was wrong with the source novel. While I love Ray Bradbury, I found Something Wicked This Way Comes to be overwritten and unnecessarily dense, to the point of being hard to follow at points.

The graphic novel was none of those things, and the remaining story, distilled as it was, was breathtaking and terrifying. It was also beautifully illustrated in black-and-white, and I especially appreciated how the borders were white for the daytime scenes an
Dionisia
Ray Bradbury has written some of my favorite books and yet, for some odd reason, I've never read the novel this is adapted from. It's possible I would have enjoyed this graphic adaptation more if I had. I don't know. It was hugely disappointing. Does it count for anything that I liked the cover art?

Reading this felt like I was simply skimming the surface of something great. This book should have been longer to accommodate what I expect was the richness of the source material. I wanted more, so m
Rachael Quinn
I had one of those horrible graphic novel experiences with this book. See, I love graphic novels and I definitely love that so many classics are being done in graphic form. I think that it adds value to the graphic genre, not to sound snobby, and adds excitement to the classics. There is nothing wrong with making old favorites into something new.

I have never read a whole Ray Bradbury novel. I read bits and pieces in junior high and I always meant to read more eventually but it hasn't happened ye
Shane
This is a book that I was not really in the mood to read, and I actually would not give it four stars - except that I thought it was very well done, and if I read it in the right mood it would be more enjoyable.

Nonetheless, the artwork is well done and striking - although I did have a bit of a learning curve in terms of getting into the visual language of this book (which is more-or-less the case for many graphic novels I have read). In terms of characterization, the interesting thing here is t
Mark
"'Because you need fuel, gas, something to run a carnival on, don't you? Maybe the carnival survives, living off the poison of the sins we do each other, and the ferment of our most terrible regrets.'"

Set in Green Town, Illinois, at the onset of fall, two almost-fourteen year-old boys meet a strange lightning-rod salesman passing through their town. The foreboding of the salesman, who tells them that a storm is coming, couples with townspeople who also sense something different in the air. Soon
LG (A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions)
[NOTE: I picked this up as an ARC at a conference.]

As far as I know, I haven't read the novel this was based on, and I haven't watched the movie based on the book, so I can't say how it compares to either one of those versions. I can say that I really didn't like this graphic novel.

It's possible that I would have liked either the book or the movie just fine - I thought the story itself was the best part of the graphic novel. There was something slightly creepy and strange about the characters an
Jamil
from an interview w/Ron Wimberly:

"Was it difficult to fit everything from the book in a graphic novel? Were there parts that had to be excised that you wish you could have kept?

I look at the process of adapting a large text into a graphic work like distillation. You won't fit everything in, but one must try to capture the spirit of the work. The spirit of literature is poetry. Poetry suggests. It's the Impressionism of literature. So I approached it like that. Things are lost, but you can alway
Gina
I read the graphic novel adaptations of The Martian Chronicles and Something Wicked This Way Comes back to back and I like this one a lot better. The illustrations are less slick, but the visuals are a lot more dynamic and I like the style better. I'll still take the novel over the graphic novel any day, though.

There's an interesting interview about the creation of the graphic novel here

The illustrator seems just a bit miffed about the lack of creative freedom he had in creating this adaptation
Marsha
Enter the crazy, colossal, colorful carnival that is Cooger & Dark’s Pandemonium Shadow Show, a show of mystery and misery. Two small boys embark on the adventure of a lifetime when they dare pit their puny strength against Mr. Dark’s malevolence.

Mr. Bradbury’s works have always been sources of wonder and fascination. Lyric charm seems to flow from his words until it seems he writes poetry disguised as mere prose. In “Something Wicked This Way Comes” metaphor leaps off the page to weave its
Kirsten
I was really kind of disappointed with this adaptation. I had a hard time following the action. I don't think most people who are very familiar with the novel would have TOO much difficulty, but it's been a few years since I read it, and I had some problems, which tells me that someone who hasn't read the novel is probably going to have a really hard time.
I also just didn't like the art all that much, I'm sorry to say. The character designs were good, but again, it was hard to follow the action,
Jason
I like the artwork and the adaptation creates a compelling mood but there are some gaps in the story that lose the reader if you haven't read the novel. It's too bad because there was a lot of potential for excellence in my estimation but it didn't quite get there.
Cyndi
I thought in addition to reading the book I would see what this graphic novel looked like. It was interesting and a quick read that would appeal to young adults. I was hooked more on the story than I thought I would be. Now on to the novel.
Mary Beth
It amuses me that I happened to pick this one up today, 24 October, as that is the day when Mr. Dark and his sinister entourage come to town in Ray Bradbury's "Something Wicked This Way Comes." I adore the original short story, and enjoyed the movie when it came out(way back when in 1983). This was a true retelling of the original, but I found it a bit difficult to follow, even though I know the story pretty well. The tale of two boys, growing up together and growing apart, does well as a graphi ...more
Shivering William
It couldn't have been easy to adapt Bradbury's electrifying, locomotive, broken but sensible text . . . but this guy did it. I'm not sure I would've read it were it not for the 'Authorized' stamp. It's well deserved.
Jeffrey Poole
I've always been a fan of Ray Bradbury. As always, the book is much better than any movie adaptation I've thus come across.

That being said, it was nice to read this graphic novel, along with Something Wicked This Way Comes (I won both through a Giveaway listed here on Goodreads!), and experience it in graphic novel form.

I wasn't sure at first about the black and white illustrations in SWTC book, but it was still good.

Any Bradbury fan ought to pick this up and check it out. It's well worth it!
Alex
This is a good story but this is not the medium under which to first experience it. Consider reading it first and only using this as an easy way to revisit the tale.

This graphic novel adaptation suffered from trying to include too much. The book was already a bit jumpy and the scene transitions choppy. The graphic novel suffered from this even more. Some scenes should have been completely excised for the adaptation, as I'm not sure the overall plot would have made sense had I not just read the n
Marian
I received this book as a Goodreads giveaway. I loved the original novel and remember being scared as crap as a child while watching the movie. This adaptation was enjoyable but a bit heavy on the text for a graphic novel. I think that it detracted from the story overall. It wasn't until the last 30 pages or so that I totally got into the story, but those pages made it all worth it. The artwork throughout is fantastic. A good read overall. If we could do half stars, I would go 3.5.
Roy Hudson
I won a copy of this in a Goodreads contest, so I'll gladly encourage everyone to enter them. It took a while to get used to the B&W style, but it was great. The artist kept almost all the details from the original novel, without the cheesy dialogue from the 80s movie (also written by Bradbury). After reading this, I'm definitely glad I didn't use my used bookstore credit to buy a pb of the novel, as this book has it all; it would've been double-dipping. Highly recommend this one.
A.C. Bauch
my first borrow from the huge county library here in ft. wayne, in! i've actually never read the book, but when i saw it was being released as a graphic novel, i knew i had to read it. i think the graphic novel effectively captures darkness and evil, both the external manifestation of the carnival, and that within the characters. i especially thought the character illustrations were well done. now i'd like to read the novel, to compare the two.
Pauline Fisk
I can't speak for this version because I haven't seen it yet, but I can speak for the original novel, which is as rich and vivid and scary and downright imaginative as anything you're ever likely to read. I never would have written the fairground elements in 'Midnight Blue' without Bradbury's fairground being in the back of my mind. When he says 'wicked' he really means it.
Claire Curtis
This book had an enormous impact on me when I was a teenager. As usual, Bradbury's prose is really poetry, evoking the story as much as telling it. A "must read". (note: I read the original edition. I am somewhat dubious about what "The Authorized Adaptation" means. If it's just a matter of illustrations, fine. If it's bowderized, all bets are off.)
Lucia
This 130 page screenplay has a wonderful, creative story line. Ray took any child's fear of the abnormal and created fabulously scary antagonists, who can been seen as the evil people of everyday life. He used an ordinary thing and transformed it into an extraordinary tale.
Anthony Celini
The ending was solid - will's dad killed the devil with laughter. Kind of. (Whole lot of air quotes needed there...) This would be interesting in a different medium ( movie?), but lacks something with just two dimensions. Not everything is/should be black and white.
Edward H. Busse, III
Graphic novel - only my second one - interesting to read - not used to it. Overall, a good story with an interesting twist at the end - something I didn't expect. Nice moral to the story too. A good read if you're a true/hard-core Ray Bradbury fan.
Mickie
I think when you try to distill Ray Bradbury down, it makes him seem stuff and his writing too flowery. He needs a broader canvas for his wonderful language...ironic that in graphic novel form, his brushstrokes are lost and weakened.
Lillian
This adaptation of Ray Bradbury's novel is quite modern and provides access for today's young readers. I appreciate that aspect and the beautiful artwork but it made me long for Bradbury's elegant prose.
Wally
Solid (and authorized) adaptation of Ray Bradbury's classic story, including much of the language. The combination of text and image gives it a much more impressionistic feel, which adds to the spookiness.
  • Ray Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles: The Authorized Adaptation
  • The Case of Charles Dexter Ward: A Graphic Novel
  • Bunnicula In-a-Box (Bunnicula, #1-3)
  • Baltimore, Vol. 2: The Curse Bells (Baltimore, #2)
  • Three Samurai Cats: A Story from Japan
  • Cirque Du Freak: Killers of the Dawn, Vol. 9 (Cirque Du Freak: The Manga, #9)
  • The Irish Cinderlad
  • Delphine
  • Curses! Foiled Again (Foiled, #2)
  • Bloody Chester
  • Jane on Her Own (Catwings, #4)
  • Mouse Guard: Legends of the Guard, Vol. 1 (Mouse Guard)
  • That's What Leprechauns Do
  • The Mumbo Jumbo Circus (Mumbo Jumbo Circus, #1)
  • S.H.I.E.L.D.: Architects of Forever
  • The Picture of Dorian Gray
  • Barbarian Lord
American novelist, short story writer, essayist, playwright, screenwriter and poet, was born August 22, 1920 in Waukegan, Illinois. He graduated from a Los Angeles high school in 1938. Although his formal education ended there, he became a "student of life," selling newspapers on L.A. street corners from 1938 to 1942, spending his nights in the public library and his days at the typewriter. He bec ...more
More about Ray Bradbury...
Fahrenheit 451 The Martian Chronicles Something Wicked This Way Comes (Green Town, #2) The Illustrated Man Dandelion Wine (Green Town, #1)