Start by marking “The Translation of Father Torturo” as Want to Read:
The Translation of Father Torturo

The Translation of Father Torturo

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  22 ratings  ·  7 reviews
From Publishers Weekly

Black magic and thuggery assist a Machiavellian priest's ascent to the papal throne in this predictable but gleefully subversive modern gothic. Xavier Torturo, a quiet but ambitious seminarian in rural Italy, gets entrusted with an ancient occult text about the translation of powers from the dead to the living. Soon thereafter, a relic of Saint Anthon
Published (first published May 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Translation of Father Torturo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Translation of Father Torturo

Stephen Theaker
Father Xaviero Xaviero Torturo is, like many of the protagonists in Connell's later collection Unpleasant Tales, a man obsessed with change, though the changes he desires extend beyond himself and into the world in which he lives. He is a priest who, tired of being "the begrimed receptacle" for the offences of others, applies the philosophy, dedication and ruthlessness of the family trade – assassination – to his work.

"As a child he had been brutal, a kicker of cats, a resolute swatter of flies.
Theresa
The translation of Father Torturo
by: Brendan Connell

I won this book from a Goodreads/First Reads giveaway

This story follows a man's life from childhood through death. From searching for the tongue of St. Anthony to rising through the ranks of priesthood and death. The story shows the corruption of the church and priests, manipultion and blackmail.

I found this story intriguing. The main character is capable of manipulation of tramendous ability and his lack of conscience with tremendous self con
Diane
I won this book through Goodreads and could not wait to read it. I love mysteries. I just found that I could not get into the story no matter how I tried. I would read and put it down. I was determined to finish the book no matter what. It was a little squeamish for me. So I had a hard time with it. The author is quite good at his writing and describing what was going on.

The main character Father Torturo is a very manipulative person for a priest. He felt that he should be high in the priesthood
Chris
A dark, interesting, albeit somewhat silly book. It is certainly not without its flaws, but over all well worth the few hours it took me to read.
Jason Rolfe
Brendan Connell is a fearless writer. He is not simply a story teller. Connell is a purveyor of ideas.
Waffles
A two-fisted theological pot-boiler. Sort of Peter Greenaway meets Hanibal Lecter meets Andrew Greely.
David
A very original book.
Ron Skurat
Ron Skurat marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014
Orion Zangara
Orion Zangara marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Andrey Dolganov
Andrey Dolganov marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
Mark Goodwin
Mark Goodwin marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Ben
Ben marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2014
Eatsbooks
Eatsbooks is currently reading it
Oct 19, 2013
Sam Mlyniec
Sam Mlyniec marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2013
Iuliana
Iuliana marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2013
Rachel Diane Herrin
Rachel Diane Herrin marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2013
Tom
Tom marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2013
Barry
Barry marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Metrophilias Lives of Notorious Cooks The Life of Polycrates and Other Stories for Antiquated Children Dr. Black and the Guerrillia The Architect