Start by marking “Lady Blue Eyes: My Life with Frank” as Want to Read:
Lady Blue Eyes: My Life with Frank

Lady Blue Eyes: My Life with Frank

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  393 ratings  ·  55 reviews
Thirty years after she first heard his voice singing on the jukebox at her local drive-in, Barbara Ann Blakely heard Frank Sinatra take the wedding vows that began his fourth, final, and most enduring marriage.

In Lady Blue Eyes, Barbara Sinatra’s first public love letter to the husband she adored, she celebrates the sensational singer, possessive mate, sexy heartthrob, a
Published May 31st 2011 by Crown Archetype (first published November 11th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Lady Blue Eyes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lady Blue Eyes

Lee Anne
Initially, I picked this book up to read because prior to Frank Sinatra, Barbara was married to Zeppo Marx, and I'm always up for more Marx Brothers scoop. Plus, I read Tina Sinatra's My Father's Daughter, and in typical fashion, I remember little about it but that neither Tina nor Nancy have any love lost for fourth wife Barbara. By Tina's account, I vaguely recall, Barbara isolated Frank from the rest of the family, and pushed him to constantly tour to fund her extravagant lifestyle. While thi ...more
Vapid = lacking a life

Here is a woman who ran through three husbands plus another live-in arrangement and her entire goal in life was to find another man who could support her in the style she preferred.

Ladder = a means of rising

Why drive a Honda when you can have a Rolls? Why work a regular job when you can be a Vegas showgirl and then complain how hard it is (apparently the equivalent to working in the fields)? Why be responsible for anything when there are willing men ready to pay for whatev
This is a book that is supposed to make me think Barbara Sinatra was the luckiest woman to be married to Frank Sinatra. Yes, she had a great life with him. But I don't think she has a clue to how selfish she made herself out to be. She kept repeating that everything was 'for her son'...however he hardly was in her life between her career & men. When she walked in to find Zeppo Marx with his hands around her son's neck, you would have thought she'd leave him instantly. But no...where was she ...more
What a vain, self serving person. Me me me me me - gah.
Bailey Lincoln
Jun 04, 2012 Bailey Lincoln is currently reading it

The book is a biography so It's about a person, The person that the story is about is Barbara Sinatra and her life and who she came to be and also her life with Frank and how she met and married him. The main characters are Barbara Sinatra and Frank Sinatra. "Although it was a closed casket,I wanted frank to look his best, so I had the staff at the funeral home dress him in one of his finest navy blue suits and striped tie."(Sinatra pg.359) "He was buried with a flask of Jack Daniel's, a roll o
Ninety nine percent of the people reading this book are looking for insight into Frank Sinatra and I am happy that Barbara wisely keeps the focus on her husband.

This is the most insightful look at the personal side of THE man yet written, penned by someone who cared for him and accepted him, warts and all.

He truly had the world on a string...... or as Dean often used to say, "It's Frank's world and we just live in it".

Barbara Sinatra is an interesting woman, seemed very well liked and loved by her husbands!
A beautiful blonde who seemed to have no ambitions beyond being well taken care of and
loved. She had a good life, more power to her. Charity seemed to be important to both
her and Frank. The fact that she almost makes no mention of Frank's children does seem a little
weird.I enjoyed the book, it is a lifestyle that few people have any more.
Michaella Dietrich
I don't recommend this book. I will be reading a better discussion of Frank Sinatra's life. Barbara Sinatra tells mainly her own life story which happens to include Frank. The book starts at her childhood. Her life is kind of interesting however it's hard to be engrossed when you dislike the narrator.
Rachael Morris kosko
While I loved reading how generous and professional Frank Sinatra was, the one thing that stuck out to me was how materialistic his widow was/is. Still a good read despite that.
Interesting inside scoop on a celebrity lifestyle. I enjoyed it, even though I didn't really like the author/protagonist. Interesting picture of 50s/60s/70s culture, though.
Fred Speno
30 Years of Excitement!

It's apparent that Barbara Sinatra loved her husband intensely and was captivated by his many charms. Her ghost writer did a fine job keeping the anecdotes concise and not too wordy.

At times, Barbara, no doubt, sugar-coated Sinatra's more beastly side, his dark moods and abusive, profane commentary. He had to be a devil to live with, and it took a tolerant woman who could subordinate her pride to his moody selfishness.

I was unaware how generous Sinatra could be, not just t
This book is mostly a chance for Barbara Sinatra to drop names, but despite that I found it interesting to learn more about Frank Sinatra's life.
Pamela Tracy
It was what I expected. I do believe she was honest to a point, under the sugar coating. I agree with the earlier commenters that I felt sorry for the son, raised by grandparents, then sent off to military school, and the scene where he was almost burned at the stake by neighborhood boys! Maybe Bobby should write a novel.

I wonder what his life would have been like had he married the girl Barbara told him not to marry?

Frank was before my time, but I'd love to travel back and hear the Rat Pack per
Thru the porthole.
Not my lifestyle but someone has to do it! A self centered lush or a product of her genes we all have faults, some of us are born into them from our previous lives or some are developed but most of us like Barbararara, oops just got carried away with the barara's as she likes to be called, just live them in bliss as she does. So if we can ignore them the story is like the American dream of the 50's.

Paragraph snippets of the best of the best high life could offer then. Its a Kel
This autobiography focuses on Barbara Sinatra's life with Frank. She gives a detailed history of her growing up years and her two previous marriages, but over half of the book is about Frank and their life together.

I don't doubt for a moment that Frank Sinatra was a perfectionist and a wonderful triple threat entertainer. His film and music career brought and is still bringing joy to many people. He is rightfully regarded as icon. His philanthropy was impressive, and continues to this day.

Wow. Barbara Sinatra certainly seemed to lead quite the charmed life. She did it all-worked her way up from a small Midwest farm town and wound up as Mrs. Chairman of the Board. Kudos to her, especially since she had struggled along the way, starting out as a young single mom supporting her son by working as a Las Vegas showgirl. What a cataclysmic climb.
This gal seems to be sincere, determined, resilient and all about living life to the fullest, much like her late husband, the iconic Mr. Sinatr
As there's a movement in the works to re-name our Palm Springs Airport the "Frank Sinatra Airport", and I've been reading & hearing about Barbara Sinatra's generousness to the community, both public and behind the scenes, I thought this book would be of interest. And it indeed was not disappointing. As I've lived in this area for some time, hearing about life in it's earlier era was fascinating - it was in fact not too long ago like a cluster of small villages luring the rich and famous espe ...more
I enjoyed this story of Barbar's life with Frank Sinatra so much, that I may skim it again to really absorb the numerous notable nuggets that defined Frank's life, loves, and music. This story especially covers well his later years. At times I found myself saying "This wife's story of adoration is too
good to be true." True or embellished, I may never know, but I think old blue eyes himself would be proud of this account. We are soon coming to the 100th anniversary of his birth!
Keith Bell
Barbara Sinatra's story - interesting, Frank Sinatra's life from her perspective - fascinating. Even more though, was the fact that I realized the power of reading a biography. This story revealed much about my father's behaviour and that of his generation. Living as contemporaries or just under the shadow of men like like Sinatra, Martin, etc. My Dad's humour and much of his temper were very similar.
your enjoyment of this book is going to depend on how much you believe in barbara sinatra's account of things. i suggest reading tina sinatra's "my father's daughter" for, perhaps a more reliable view of life with old blue eyes. (of course, that will hopefully lead you to "memories Are made of his: dean martin through his daughter's eyes" by deanna martin for another rat pack daughter with a realistic sense of self.)

oh, all right . .back to barbara . . .

i read this not for sinatra, but because b
Kimberly Mussell
Listening to audio version.
After reading other reviews on this, I had to add a few things. One reader wrote it was all about Barbara.. Me, me, me.. well, this was an autobiography! If someone wanted to read solely about Frank, I would suggest a Frank Sinatra biography. This story was about the life of Barbara and I found it very interesting and fun. Kudos to lady blue eyes!
Wonderfully written by a lady who truly loved the remarkable ' OL blue eyes

I've always been curious about the woman who appeared to hold Frank Sinatra's heart in the palm of her hand. After reading this book you too will understand why.
faith ford
Great book

I like how Mrs Sinatra mixed her life in with Frank Sinatra's it was a very good book I learned a lot about his life that I didn't know if you love Sinatra read this book!!!
Joe Klamut
Totally enjoyed this book. I still listen to his music all the time. He was the best singer of our time. It was nice getting an insight of what his life was like. He truly was a legend and very well loved by his friends in Hollywood.
A. Dewitt
Being a Sinatra fan, I loved this book and it was easy to read. The author glosses over the tough guy antics, but she admits she did meet and marry him when he was older and more mellow And after all, it is a memoir from the perspective of a loving wife. I was disappointed that although she mentions his son and former wives, his daughters are never mentioned. It was interesting to read what an incredible lifestyle the top 1/2 of 1% had in past decades, juxtaposed by his immense charity. I was su ...more
Let's just call it my life of name dropping - awful
Barbara's whole life seemed to be about money and the lack of, up until she married Frank. She talks about being broke as she sits in her mink coat and Roll Royce. She finally found all the money she needed in Frank - she mentions Frank, Jr several times but never Nancy or Tina, you can almost feel the tensions there.
I did enjoy the book learning some things about Frank. I am not and have never been a fan of his music, although I think he has a fantastic voice. If you enjoy reading about people
It was hard to get thru Barbara's early life. The writing was too sappy for me and she comes off sounding quite full of herself. I believe she did have a tough show girl background. I am sure she prettied up that part of her life. I read this for the stories about Frank and friends. I was not disappointed. What amused me was the obvious omission of Frank's daughters, Nancy and Tina and his first wife Nancy. Frank Jr was mentioned, and his other two wives Ava Gardner and Mia Farrow! Wonder why?

Alex Rivas
My bad!! I picked up the wrong book, I wanted to read a biography about Frank Sinatra and not about his wife. I got sick and tired of reading who wonderful she is and of course that Frank was tough but never meant to hurt anyone…yeah right!!

This book is not much more than a self-serving ego boost for Mrs. Sinatra, if I extracted the interesting and funny pages on Frank, we would have a nice 15 page pamphlet.

If anyone has read a good book on Sinatra, please advise, thanks!
  • Growing Up Laughing: My Story and the Story of Funny
  • Dean and Me: A Love Story
  • Age Is Just a Number: Achieve Your Dreams at Any Stage in Your Life
  • Elizabeth
  • Late, Late at Night
Lady Blue Eyes: My Life with Frank The Sinatra Celebrity Cookbook: Barbara, Frank & Friends Lady Blue Eyes My Life with Frank Lady Blue Eyes: My Life with Frank Jesteś moją muzyką - moje życie z Frankiem Sinatrą