Lady Blue Eyes: My Life with Frank

Lady Blue Eyes: My Life with Frank

3.25 of 5 stars 3.25  ·  rating details  ·  287 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Thirty years after she first heard his voice singing on the jukebox at her local drive-in, Barbara Ann Blakely heard Frank Sinatra take the wedding vows that began his fourth, final, and most enduring marriage.

In Lady Blue Eyes, Barbara Sinatra’s first public love letter to the husband she adored, she celebrates the sensational singer, possessive mate, sexy heartthrob, a...more
Published May 31st 2011 by Crown Archetype (first published November 11th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Lady Blue Eyes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lady Blue Eyes

Lee Anne
Initially, I picked this book up to read because prior to Frank Sinatra, Barbara was married to Zeppo Marx, and I'm always up for more Marx Brothers scoop. Plus, I read Tina Sinatra's My Father's Daughter, and in typical fashion, I remember little about it but that neither Tina nor Nancy have any love lost for fourth wife Barbara. By Tina's account, I vaguely recall, Barbara isolated Frank from the rest of the family, and pushed him to constantly tour to fund her extravagant lifestyle. While thi...more
GoldGato
Vapid = lacking a life

Here is a woman who ran through three husbands plus another live-in arrangement and her entire goal in life was to find another man who could support her in the style she preferred.

Ladder = a means of rising

Why drive a Honda when you can have a Rolls? Why work a regular job when you can be a Vegas showgirl and then complain how hard it is (apparently the equivalent to working in the fields)? Why be responsible for anything when there are willing men ready to pay for whatev...more
Jody
This is a book that is supposed to make me think Barbara Sinatra was the luckiest woman to be married to Frank Sinatra. Yes, she had a great life with him. But I don't think she has a clue to how selfish she made herself out to be. She kept repeating that everything was 'for her son'...however he hardly was in her life between her career & men. When she walked in to find Zeppo Marx with his hands around her son's neck, you would have thought she'd leave him instantly. But no...where was she...more
Dona
What a vain, self serving person. Me me me me me - gah.
Bailey Lincoln
Jun 04, 2012 Bailey Lincoln is currently reading it

The book is a biography so It's about a person, The person that the story is about is Barbara Sinatra and her life and who she came to be and also her life with Frank and how she met and married him. The main characters are Barbara Sinatra and Frank Sinatra. "Although it was a closed casket,I wanted frank to look his best, so I had the staff at the funeral home dress him in one of his finest navy blue suits and striped tie."(Sinatra pg.359) "He was buried with a flask of Jack Daniel's, a roll o...more
Mike
Ninety nine percent of the people reading this book are looking for insight into Frank Sinatra and I am happy that Barbara wisely keeps the focus on her husband.

This is the most insightful look at the personal side of THE man yet written, penned by someone who cared for him and accepted him, warts and all.

He truly had the world on a string...... or as Dean often used to say, "It's Frank's world and we just live in it".

Linda
Barbara Sinatra is an interesting woman, seemed very well liked and loved by her husbands!
A beautiful blonde who seemed to have no ambitions beyond being well taken care of and
loved. She had a good life, more power to her. Charity seemed to be important to both
her and Frank. The fact that she almost makes no mention of Frank's children does seem a little
weird.I enjoyed the book, it is a lifestyle that few people have any more.
Michaella Dietrich
I don't recommend this book. I will be reading a better discussion of Frank Sinatra's life. Barbara Sinatra tells mainly her own life story which happens to include Frank. The book starts at her childhood. Her life is kind of interesting however it's hard to be engrossed when you dislike the narrator.
Rachael Morris kosko
While I loved reading how generous and professional Frank Sinatra was, the one thing that stuck out to me was how materialistic his widow was/is. Still a good read despite that.
Beth
This book is mostly a chance for Barbara Sinatra to drop names, but despite that I found it interesting to learn more about Frank Sinatra's life.
Cara
This autobiography focuses on Barbara Sinatra's life with Frank. She gives a detailed history of her growing up years and her two previous marriages, but over half of the book is about Frank and their life together.

I don't doubt for a moment that Frank Sinatra was a perfectionist and a wonderful triple threat entertainer. His film and music career brought and is still bringing joy to many people. He is rightfully regarded as icon. His philanthropy was impressive, and continues to this day.

That...more
Zil
Wow. Barbara Sinatra certainly seemed to lead quite the charmed life. She did it all-worked her way up from a small Midwest farm town and wound up as Mrs. Chairman of the Board. Kudos to her, especially since she had struggled along the way, starting out as a young single mom supporting her son by working as a Las Vegas showgirl. What a cataclysmic climb.
This gal seems to be sincere, determined, resilient and all about living life to the fullest, much like her late husband, the iconic Mr. Sinatr...more
Ann Marshall
As there's a movement in the works to re-name our Palm Springs Airport the "Frank Sinatra Airport", and I've been reading & hearing about Barbara Sinatra's generousness to the community, both public and behind the scenes, I thought this book would be of interest. And it indeed was not disappointing. As I've lived in this area for some time, hearing about life in it's earlier era was fascinating - it was in fact not too long ago like a cluster of small villages luring the rich and famous espe...more
Jamison
your enjoyment of this book is going to depend on how much you believe in barbara sinatra's account of things. i suggest reading tina sinatra's "my father's daughter" for, perhaps a more reliable view of life with old blue eyes. (of course, that will hopefully lead you to "memories Are made of his: dean martin through his daughter's eyes" by deanna martin for another rat pack daughter with a realistic sense of self.)

oh, all right . .back to barbara . . .

i read this not for sinatra, but because b...more
A. Dewitt
Being a Sinatra fan, I loved this book and it was easy to read. The author glosses over the tough guy antics, but she admits she did meet and marry him when he was older and more mellow And after all, it is a memoir from the perspective of a loving wife. I was disappointed that although she mentions his son and former wives, his daughters are never mentioned. It was interesting to read what an incredible lifestyle the top 1/2 of 1% had in past decades, juxtaposed by his immense charity. I was su...more
Donna
It was hard to get thru Barbara's early life. The writing was too sappy for me and she comes off sounding quite full of herself. I believe she did have a tough show girl background. I am sure she prettied up that part of her life. I read this for the stories about Frank and friends. I was not disappointed. What amused me was the obvious omission of Frank's daughters, Nancy and Tina and his first wife Nancy. Frank Jr was mentioned, and his other two wives Ava Gardner and Mia Farrow! Wonder why?

Alex Rivas
My bad!! I picked up the wrong book, I wanted to read a biography about Frank Sinatra and not about his wife. I got sick and tired of reading who wonderful she is and of course that Frank was tough but never meant to hurt anyone…yeah right!!

This book is not much more than a self-serving ego boost for Mrs. Sinatra, if I extracted the interesting and funny pages on Frank, we would have a nice 15 page pamphlet.

If anyone has read a good book on Sinatra, please advise, thanks!
Patrice
I enjoyed reading this. I was reading Plato's Republic at the same time, thinking that this book had nothing to do with it. But surprise! The Republic is all about living a good and just life and this book is filled with people who live unjust and bad lives. And guess what? They seemed to be happy.
They thought only of pleasure and had plenty of it. At least the way she tells the story. A great escape book but at the same time made me wonder, maybe Machiavelli was right?
I really like this book because it talked about how Barbara Sinatra came from not much to become Frank Sinatra's wife. She seems pretty down to earth, and knows both sides of the coin; working hard and living in luxury. She showed how much fun Frank could be, and what a big heart he had. One of the things I liked best about the book, is learning about the life and times of my grandfather's generation! good read :)
Danielle Mathieson
Barbara was a piece of work (fun to contrast her version of events with Sinatra's daughter Tina in My Father's Daughter), but I enjoyed this peek into Sinatra's later life. The chapter on his death and funeral were heartbreaking. Miss you, Sinatra. Sleep warm.

"We're drinking, my friend, to the end of a brief episode
Make it one for my baby and one more for the road"
Amy Raffensperger
Being a Sinatra fan, I knew that I would enjoy this book. I was not prepared, however, for how much it would touch me emotionally. I finished the book in tears, not only is it a portrait of the greatest singer of my lifetime, it's also a great love story. Barbara Sinatra gives a beautiful account of her life with Frank Sinatra, public and private.
Deb
I loved this book! It is very easy to read, and it chronicles the life of legend Frank Sinatra and his last wife Barbara. Barbara narrates Frank's life, as a younger performer, and then as her husband in later years. It is a very good insight into the world of the legend Frank Sinatra. I love old Hollywodd stories, and this one holds up among the best.
Kay
Well written. Could have done without the recipe book contributors and the name dropping. Can't believe the stamina it must take to live that kind of life. All the traveling, partying every night and constant performing. Barbara appears to be a strong lady who adapted well to fame and fortune. All in all, an enjoyable read.
Brittany
I have always been a "Nancy fan", so it was difficult at times not to scoff at Barbara's attempts to toot her own horn, which she did a TON in this book. That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed the stories about Frank and the pictures of him. He was and is a true icon and will forever be my all-time favorite.
Susan
Learned a lot about Frank Sinatra that I didn't really want to know. Barbara loved him for who he was, famous, and put up with his idiosyncrasies. Worth the read because of all the people that Frank and Barbara met over the years. That would never happen now.
ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ
This book was very good. Before I read it, I had no idea who Barbara Blakely (aka Mrs Frank Sinatra) was. Her life with Frank, and all of the friends around them was very interesting. I read the entire book in 3 days.
Denise
Jul 08, 2012 Denise rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
This was a nice glimpse into Frank's life, but I can't say that I was all that fond of the author. With all the names that she dropped, you would think she could have dropped his daughter's names a time or two.
Brittney Bramlett
A delightful surprise. The sinatras provided so much to American culture and it was a pleasure to get a small glimpse of their personal lives. A quick and easy read for anyone Sinatra loving.
Debbie Welch
If you like Frank Sinatra, you couldn't find a better biography than one written by his wife!!! Good, funny, interesting and provocative. We won't see many more like him around.
Kelly
Interesting inside scoop on a celebrity lifestyle. I enjoyed it, even though I didn't really like the author/protagonist. Interesting picture of 50s/60s/70s culture, though.
  • Good Stuff: A Reminiscence of My Father, Cary Grant
  • Dear Cary: My Life with Cary Grant
  • Age Is Just a Number: Achieve Your Dreams at Any Stage in Your Life
  • Loretta Lynn: Coal Miner's Daughter
  • My Lucky Life in and Out of Show Business
  • The Cure for Anything Is Salt Water: How I Threw My Life Overboard and Found Happiness at Sea
Lady Blue Eyes: My Life with Frank Lady Blue Eyes My Life with Frank Lady Blue Eyes: My Life with Frank Jesteś moją muzyką - moje życie z Frankiem Sinatrą Lady Blue Eyes: My Life with Frank Sinatra