Start by marking “Lady Blue Eyes: My Life with Frank” as Want to Read:
Lady Blue Eyes: My Life with Frank

Lady Blue Eyes: My Life with Frank

3.44  ·  Rating Details  ·  486 Ratings  ·  67 Reviews
Thirty years after she first heard his voice singing on the jukebox at her local drive-in, Barbara Ann Blakely heard Frank Sinatra take the wedding vows that began his fourth, final, and most enduring marriage.

In Lady Blue Eyes, Barbara Sinatra’s first public love letter to the husband she adored, she celebrates the sensational singer, possessive mate, sexy heartthrob, a
Published May 31st 2011 by Crown Archetype (first published November 11th 2008)

Lee Anne
Jun 26, 2011 Lee Anne rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Initially, I picked this book up to read because prior to Frank Sinatra, Barbara was married to Zeppo Marx, and I'm always up for more Marx Brothers scoop. Plus, I read Tina Sinatra's My Father's Daughter, and in typical fashion, I remember little about it but that neither Tina nor Nancy have any love lost for fourth wife Barbara. By Tina's account, I vaguely recall, Barbara isolated Frank from the rest of the family, and pushed him to constantly tour to fund her extravagant lifestyle. While thi ...more
GoldGato
Vapid = lacking a life

Here is a woman who ran through three husbands plus another live-in arrangement and her entire goal in life was to find another man who could support her in the style she preferred.

Ladder = a means of rising

Why drive a Honda when you can have a Rolls? Why work a regular job when you can be a Vegas showgirl and then complain how hard it is (apparently the equivalent to working in the fields)? Why be responsible for anything when there are willing men ready to pay for whatev
Jody
Oct 19, 2011 Jody rated it did not like it
This is a book that is supposed to make me think Barbara Sinatra was the luckiest woman to be married to Frank Sinatra. Yes, she had a great life with him. But I don't think she has a clue to how selfish she made herself out to be. She kept repeating that everything was 'for her son'...however he hardly was in her life between her career & men. When she walked in to find Zeppo Marx with his hands around her son's neck, you would have thought she'd leave him instantly. But no...where was she ...more
Dona
Jul 06, 2011 Dona rated it it was ok
What a vain, self serving person. Me me me me me - gah.
Mike
Feb 10, 2012 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It appears that Lady Blue Eyes was born with a strong sense of entitlement and an over exalted opinion of herself.

I enjoyed this book, a lot, although I must confess I skipped long passages where the Lady talked about her life, beliefs, and her son.

What makes the book worthwhile is her description of Francis Albert.

It stands to reason that a guy as popular as Sinatra was, a guy with as many personal and dedicated friends as he had, could not have been the monster that the press has made him out
Bailey Lincoln
Jun 04, 2012 Bailey Lincoln is currently reading it

The book is a biography so It's about a person, The person that the story is about is Barbara Sinatra and her life and who she came to be and also her life with Frank and how she met and married him. The main characters are Barbara Sinatra and Frank Sinatra. "Although it was a closed casket,I wanted frank to look his best, so I had the staff at the funeral home dress him in one of his finest navy blue suits and striped tie."(Sinatra pg.359) "He was buried with a flask of Jack Daniel's, a roll o
Mike
Jun 06, 2011 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ninety nine percent of the people reading this book are looking for insight into Frank Sinatra and I am happy that Barbara wisely keeps the focus on her husband.

This is the most insightful look at the personal side of THE man yet written, penned by someone who cared for him and accepted him, warts and all.

He truly had the world on a string...... or as Dean often used to say, "It's Frank's world and we just live in it".

Linda
Feb 05, 2012 Linda rated it liked it
Barbara Sinatra is an interesting woman, seemed very well liked and loved by her husbands!
A beautiful blonde who seemed to have no ambitions beyond being well taken care of and
loved. She had a good life, more power to her. Charity seemed to be important to both
her and Frank. The fact that she almost makes no mention of Frank's children does seem a little
weird.I enjoyed the book, it is a lifestyle that few people have any more.
Michaella
Apr 07, 2013 Michaella rated it it was ok
I don't recommend this book. I will be reading a better discussion of Frank Sinatra's life. Barbara Sinatra tells mainly her own life story which happens to include Frank. The book starts at her childhood. Her life is kind of interesting however it's hard to be engrossed when you dislike the narrator.
Rachael Morris kosko
Feb 20, 2014 Rachael Morris kosko rated it really liked it
While I loved reading how generous and professional Frank Sinatra was, the one thing that stuck out to me was how materialistic his widow was/is. Still a good read despite that.
Kelly
Nov 06, 2011 Kelly rated it really liked it
Interesting inside scoop on a celebrity lifestyle. I enjoyed it, even though I didn't really like the author/protagonist. Interesting picture of 50s/60s/70s culture, though.
Fred Speno
30 Years of Excitement!

It's apparent that Barbara Sinatra loved her husband intensely and was captivated by his many charms. Her ghost writer did a fine job keeping the anecdotes concise and not too wordy.

At times, Barbara, no doubt, sugar-coated Sinatra's more beastly side, his dark moods and abusive, profane commentary. He had to be a devil to live with, and it took a tolerant woman who could subordinate her pride to his moody selfishness.

I was unaware how generous Sinatra could be, not just t
Beth
Feb 06, 2012 Beth rated it liked it
This book is mostly a chance for Barbara Sinatra to drop names, but despite that I found it interesting to learn more about Frank Sinatra's life.
Pamela Tracy
May 28, 2015 Pamela Tracy rated it liked it
Shelves: real-life
It was what I expected. I do believe she was honest to a point, under the sugar coating. I agree with the earlier commenters that I felt sorry for the son, raised by grandparents, then sent off to military school, and the scene where he was almost burned at the stake by neighborhood boys! Maybe Bobby should write a novel.

I wonder what his life would have been like had he married the girl Barbara told him not to marry?

Frank was before my time, but I'd love to travel back and hear the Rat Pack per
Brenden
Jun 10, 2015 Brenden rated it liked it
Thru the porthole.
Not my lifestyle but someone has to do it! A self centered lush or a product of her genes we all have faults, some of us are born into them from our previous lives or some are developed but most of us like Barbararara, oops just got carried away with the barara's as she likes to be called, just live them in bliss as she does. So if we can ignore them the story is like the American dream of the 50's.

Paragraph snippets of the best of the best high life could offer then. Its a Kel
Riana Elizabeth
I think I only got as much out of "Lady Blue Eyes" as I did because it was my companion read to Kitty Kelley's unauthorized Sinatra biography, "His Way". The two books fall on compete opposite sides of the spectrum: in "Lady Blue Eyes", Barbara paints Frank as a generous, loving, troubled, creative genius whose mercurial mood swings were just part & parcel with the man. Kitty Kelley views similar instances in a black light. Kelley obviously had an axe to grind, likely because Sinatra sued to ...more
Cara
Mar 13, 2012 Cara rated it it was ok
This autobiography focuses on Barbara Sinatra's life with Frank. She gives a detailed history of her growing up years and her two previous marriages, but over half of the book is about Frank and their life together.

I don't doubt for a moment that Frank Sinatra was a perfectionist and a wonderful triple threat entertainer. His film and music career brought and is still bringing joy to many people. He is rightfully regarded as icon. His philanthropy was impressive, and continues to this day.

That
Zil
Sep 21, 2011 Zil rated it really liked it
Wow. Barbara Sinatra certainly seemed to lead quite the charmed life. She did it all-worked her way up from a small Midwest farm town and wound up as Mrs. Chairman of the Board. Kudos to her, especially since she had struggled along the way, starting out as a young single mom supporting her son by working as a Las Vegas showgirl. What a cataclysmic climb.
This gal seems to be sincere, determined, resilient and all about living life to the fullest, much like her late husband, the iconic Mr. Sinatr
Ann
Aug 11, 2013 Ann rated it liked it
As there's a movement in the works to re-name our Palm Springs Airport the "Frank Sinatra Airport", and I've been reading & hearing about Barbara Sinatra's generousness to the community, both public and behind the scenes, I thought this book would be of interest. And it indeed was not disappointing. As I've lived in this area for some time, hearing about life in it's earlier era was fascinating - it was in fact not too long ago like a cluster of small villages luring the rich and famous espe ...more
Theresaharris
May 06, 2015 Theresaharris rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this story of Barbar's life with Frank Sinatra so much, that I may skim it again to really absorb the numerous notable nuggets that defined Frank's life, loves, and music. This story especially covers well his later years. At times I found myself saying "This wife's story of adoration is too
good to be true." True or embellished, I may never know, but I think old blue eyes himself would be proud of this account. We are soon coming to the 100th anniversary of his birth!
Christine
Jan 29, 2016 Christine rated it it was ok
I borrowed this book from the public library on a whim. I am a Frank Sinatra fan and thought it would be interesting to hear about his life from his widow's point of view. Unfortunately, the picture painted by Barbara Sinatra is not flattering to her or Frank. He comes across as a difficult person to be married to (which isn't surprising based on other biographies), and she alternates between being either needy, codependent, or opportunistic. After reading this, I don't doubt there was love betw ...more
Yosra
Oct 26, 2015 Yosra rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book, Barbara seems to be a very lovable woman, i don't know why many people are hostile toward her, and rather tend to believe Tina Sinatra' trashy stories about her, it's obvious the Sinatra' daughters felt bitter and jealous from Frank' strong love and commitment for his last wife..anyway i loved the book even though i don't like Sinatra as a person but i enjoyed reading the book..
Keith Bell
Oct 26, 2014 Keith Bell rated it really liked it
Barbara Sinatra's story - interesting, Frank Sinatra's life from her perspective - fascinating. Even more though, was the fact that I realized the power of reading a biography. This story revealed much about my father's behaviour and that of his generation. Living as contemporaries or just under the shadow of men like like Sinatra, Martin, etc. My Dad's humour and much of his temper were very similar.
Jamison
Aug 18, 2011 Jamison rated it liked it
your enjoyment of this book is going to depend on how much you believe in barbara sinatra's account of things. i suggest reading tina sinatra's "my father's daughter" for, perhaps a more reliable view of life with old blue eyes. (of course, that will hopefully lead you to "memories Are made of his: dean martin through his daughter's eyes" by deanna martin for another rat pack daughter with a realistic sense of self.)

oh, all right . .back to barbara . . .

i read this not for sinatra, but because b
Kimberly Mussell
Apr 25, 2015 Kimberly Mussell rated it it was amazing
Listening to audio version.
After reading other reviews on this, I had to add a few things. One reader wrote it was all about Barbara.. Me, me, me.. well, this was an autobiography! If someone wanted to read solely about Frank, I would suggest a Frank Sinatra biography. This story was about the life of Barbara and I found it very interesting and fun. Kudos to lady blue eyes!
Barbara
Sep 15, 2015 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderfully written by a lady who truly loved the remarkable ' OL blue eyes

I've always been curious about the woman who appeared to hold Frank Sinatra's heart in the palm of her hand. After reading this book you too will understand why.
faith ford
Jun 09, 2015 faith ford rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

I like how Mrs Sinatra mixed her life in with Frank Sinatra's it was a very good book I learned a lot about his life that I didn't know if you love Sinatra read this book!!!
Joe
May 09, 2015 Joe rated it it was amazing
Totally enjoyed this book. I still listen to his music all the time. He was the best singer of our time. It was nice getting an insight of what his life was like. He truly was a legend and very well loved by his friends in Hollywood.
A. Dewitt
Jul 30, 2013 A. Dewitt rated it it was amazing
Being a Sinatra fan, I loved this book and it was easy to read. The author glosses over the tough guy antics, but she admits she did meet and marry him when he was older and more mellow And after all, it is a memoir from the perspective of a loving wife. I was disappointed that although she mentions his son and former wives, his daughters are never mentioned. It was interesting to read what an incredible lifestyle the top 1/2 of 1% had in past decades, juxtaposed by his immense charity. I was su ...more
On the Same Page ...: Lady Blue Eyes: My Life With Frank 1 1 20 hours, 14 min ago
  • Memories Are Made of This: Dean Martin Through His Daughter's Eyes