Start by marking “The Difference: How the Power of Diversity Creates Better Groups, Firms, Schools, and Societies” as Want to Read:

In this landmark book, Scott Page redefines the way we understand ourselves in relation to one another. The Difference is about how we think in groups--and how our collective wisdom exceeds the sum of its parts. Why can teams of people find better solutions than brilliant individuals working alone? And why are the best group decisions and predictions those that draw upon t ...more
Published August 11th 2008 by Princeton University Press (first published January 15th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Difference, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Difference

Marc Resnick
Aug 09, 2011 Marc Resnick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great theme, but tedious to read. Just learn these few items and skip the book:
- having a very diverse group of people involved in a project yields better performance
- the more diverse the better
- cognitive diversity is more important than demographic diversity
- different kinds of cognitive diversity include
1. different paradigms (different schema for modeling the world)
2. different values (different outcomes you are trying to maximize)
3. different processes (different approaches to putting thin
Mike Edwards
The information contained within this book deserves 5 stars. Page demonstrates that diversity (by which he means diversity of background and perspective, not necessarily ethnic diversity) in group decision making is just as powerful, and in many cases even more powerful, than expertise. In other words, a diversified panel of decision makers will in many cases come up with better solutions than one containing only the best and the brightest. It's a brilliant idea.

The problem with the book, unfort
Neil Coulter
The Difference is an often-fascinating book about why groups of diverse people may perform better than groups of technically “smarter” people at certain kinds problem-solving tasks. I found it an intriguing read even apart from looking for ways to incorporate Page's ideas into my own leadership role in a diverse environment. I do recommend it, especially to leaders, but really to anyone interested in a mind-bending look at how groups function. But it is not a perfect book, and I'll mention som ...more
Jonathan
The book covers an interesting topic, suggests cool hypotheses, and provides a decent summary of the empirical evidence. I feel it struggled a little in trying to straddle the divide between academia and popular appeal.
Jon Zelner
Jul 19, 2007 Jon Zelner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good popularization of complexity theory, particularly applications to social science/policy and life in general. It can be a bit draggy in parts, but Scott does a very good job making what seem like abstract and potentially useless concepts seem quite applicable and sensible.
Shelley
Jul 29, 2012 Shelley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Research and documentation proving what you might think would be obvious, but usually isn't--that diversity is a virtue to all of us and should be cultivated, not simply tolerated. Very readable.
Nathan
Nov 04, 2015 Nathan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
400 pages of pseudo science to "prove" that two minds are better than one. I stopped reading this on about Page 180
Kayla
Nov 06, 2013 Kayla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second half of the book very underdeveloped.
Chrysostom
Mar 04, 2017 Chrysostom rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dont-read
'Cognitive diversity is the diversity that matters, enhancing the creativity and efficiency of group problem solving; demographic diversity causes group incohesion, "strange results" [like physical violence --Ed.] and group dynamics that create no end of problems.'

This book tries to straddle the line between and even reconcile the two diverse diversities, a Sisyphean task other researchers (Murray, Putnam) have shown extraordinarily difficult at best, even under controlled laboratory conditions
Paul Crider
Scott Page describes in detail the circumstances in which diversity brings advantages to groups in terms of problem solving and prediction. Page argues that it is cognitive diversity that brings benefits, though this often can be expected to correlate with identity diversity. Page is refreshingly hard-nosed about data and mechanisms, and is very upfront about where diversity can be expected to set us back.

The mechanism of gains from diversity is worth spelling out in the review. Page describes c
Beth
May 11, 2012 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Michael Page certainly needs to be more front and center when it comes to discussing issues of diversity and inclusion. Utilizing his knowledge and experience in economics and statistics, he is able to prove that having more diversity of thought enables organizations to achieve bottom line success. He also hits the nail on the head when it comes to illustrating that the real issue with moving from diversity to true inclusion has to do with encouraging healthy conflict, proper management, and ove ...more
Kaigham
Thought-provoking book about the power of diversity (and by diversity the author means diverse viewpoints, experiences, outlooks, approaches to solutions, ...) rather than gender/race/ethnic diversity. Clearly gender/race/ethnic diversity can, and often does, lead to diversity in approaches, but this book uses diversity more generally.

The book is a bit tortuous in its arguments because the author purposely is avoiding math beyond algebra, but it makes for a much longer book and I found myself cr
James Igoe
Sep 22, 2012 James Igoe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Generally, I found the book most engaging for understanding perception, heuristics and decision making, although this did not seem to be the primary premise of the book. As for the writing, it was a bit long-winded, using analogies to make points, even though the concepts themselves are readily accessible without elucidation.

As to its purported focus, it provides academic, empirical, and statistical support for diversity, not necessarily racial or ethnic, with the premise being that diversity of
Paul Hartzog
I was working/studying with Scott when he wrote this but hadn't re-read it since the original draft chapters. I re-read it and am still amazed. Not only does Scott's wonderfully funny and animated persona shine through his writing, but he manages to deliver complex content in delightfully accessible terms.

This is a truly readable book, (and believe me SO MANY books in this genre are not)! Moreover, the topic is crucial to our collective future: diversity and difference are powerful resources, an
Patrick
Oct 29, 2013 Patrick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Careful analysis of how diverse teams perform better at problem solving and prediction.
The added value of the book is that it gives a deeper insight in the mechanisms.
Loves how he uses fitness landscapes to explain the underlying mechanisms. Cool.
You do need to persevere as the first chapters introduces concepts that only will be used later in the book.
Aaron Terrazas
Feb 04, 2016 Aaron Terrazas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes hackneyed, sometimes fascinating, this book is more technical than your standard "pop economics" fare, but more accessible and readable than most academic work. Overall, I'm glad I read it. The author clearly practices what he preaches, drawing from a wide range of disciplines (although mostly from social sciences, math and literature).
Adam Hecklinger
Page's perspective of cognitive diversity is interesting and he brings a certain light heartedness to a very technical subject. The book felt to be about 100 pages longer than it needed to be though.
Alice Korngold
Apr 12, 2014 Alice Korngold rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An outstanding book that demonstrates the value of engaging people from diverse backgrounds and perspectives in problem-solving. This is particularly relevant to my work in consulting with boards of directors.
Sheldon
Nov 21, 2011 Sheldon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little tedious in places but well worth the effort. Page illustrates the power and limitations of diversity, and provides some foundation for understanding where and why democratic processes (particularly elections) may fail to produce the expected result.
Jackie G
Sep 21, 2016 Jackie G rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I thought the subject was interesting, but I am less of a fact oriented person and more of a gut oriented person, and the book was very much oriented toward using statistics to make its points. I really appreciated the frequent injections of humor.
Jim
May 27, 2013 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
fascinating use of modeling techniques to the impact of diverse perspective and heuristics on a variety outcomes. impressively novel methodology and impressive broad perspective on what diversity means and on how diversity may effect outcomes.
Shinynickel
Apr 30, 2011 Shinynickel marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: soon
Diversity as better at rigorous problem solving than expertise.
Debra
Jul 22, 2012 Debra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

The info is excellent, the reading is slow and tedious - even though Mr. Page is a very funny author.
Anna Ravenscroft
Very good book. Provides a good framework for thinking about diversity.
Nicholas
May 01, 2012 Nicholas marked it as to-read
Referred through a link from Weinberger's Too big to know
Prasanth
Prasanth rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2012
Lada
Lada rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2014
Thor
Thor rated it liked it
May 18, 2014
Luis Lezama
Luis Lezama rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2013
Infrarati
Infrarati rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Complex Adaptive Systems: An Introduction to Computational Models of Social Life
  • How Nature Works: The Science of Self-Organized Criticality
  • General System Theory: Foundations, Development, Applications
  • Hidden Order: How Adaptation Builds Complexity
  • The Complexity of Cooperation: Agent-Based Models of Competition and Collaboration
  • Unprotected: A Campus Psychiatrist Reveals How Political Correctness in Her Profession Endangers Every Student
  • The Origins of Order: Self-Organization and Selection in Evolution
  • Changing the Game: How Video Games Are Transforming the Future of Business
  • Six Degrees: The Science of a Connected Age
  • The Origin of Wealth: Evolution, Complexity, And the Radical Remaking of Economics
  • Why Good People Can't Get Jobs: The Skills Gap and What Companies Can Do About It
  • Shortcut: How Analogies Reveal Connections, Spark Innovation, and Sell Our Greatest Ideas
  • Complexity: The Emerging Science at the Edge of Order and Chaos
  • Borrowing Brilliance: The Six Steps to Business Innovation by Building on the Ideas of Others
  • The Way We'll Be: The Zogby Report on the Transformation of the American Dream
  • Expert Political Judgment: How Good Is It? How Can We Know?
  • The Naked Brain: How the Emerging Neurosociety is Changing How We Live, Work, and Love
  • The Female Thing: Dirt, Sex, Envy, Vulnerability

“For each individual among the many has a share of excellence and practical wisdom, and when they meet together, just as they become in a manner one man, who has many feet, and hands, and senses, so too with regard to their character and thought. Hence the many are better judges than a single man of music and poetry, for some understand one part, and some another, and among them they understand the whole. (Aristotle, Politics, book 3, chapter 11)” 2 likes
“diverse teams make better mousetraps.” 0 likes