Start by marking “The Berenstain Bears and The Trouble with Chores” as Want to Read:
The Berenstain Bears and The Trouble with Chores

The Berenstain Bears and The Trouble with Chores (The Berenstain Bears)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  832 ratings  ·  22 reviews

Papa Bear and the cubs are having some trouble with chores –– they don't want to do them! When they decide to take a break from cleaning, Mama Bear plays along. But what will happen when the mess builds up . . . and up . . . and up?

Ages 3 – 7

eBook, 0 pages
Published November 15th 2010 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published July 26th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Berenstain Bears and The Trouble with Chores, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Berenstain Bears and The Trouble with Chores

Denis Vukosav
"The Berenstain Bears and the Trouble with Chores" created by Stan and Jan Berenstain is another part in kids' Berenstain Bears series that introduced to readers one nice bear family and their adventures.

In this installment, theme is sharing of household chores, or the fact that the only Mom Bear in the family does all the housework.

Because no one wants to help her with the housework, Mom Bear has no choice but to declare a strike.
But what will happen when the mess builds up and the whole house
Evan
Stan & Jan Berenstain's classic Berenstain Bears stories were personal favorites throughout my childhood, and now I use them often, whether for reading to young children or for teaching English to older children and adults. Not only are they beautifully illustrated, consistently humorous, and full of educational content. They also teach morals and provide guidelines for social interaction in a way that's neither patronizing, nor puerile, nor pedantic. 'The Trouble With Chores' specifically a ...more
Bernadette
I loved this book because it shows how families have to work together to keep the house in order. It also shows the balance needed to have work and play and keep everyone happy.

LESSON: At the beginning of the school year the teacher can implement a lesson on order and taking care of your classroom the same way you take care of things at home. The teacher can makes labels and place them around the classroom. The students would then identify and place things in their appropriate places. This can b
Sabine
We read this with our kids after I got diagnosed with some health issues where I just couldn't be super mom anymore. The kids all were willing to listen and we had a great weekend cleaning and organizing.
MissyDevoursDelishReads
The Berenstain Bears and the Trouble With Chores is a perfect book for our 7 year old daughter. I myself grew up on these classic stories and were one of my favorite series as a child. She too enjoys these books, and insists on a 5 Star rating, and since this is her library and book, she is rightfully entitled to her opinions. LOL She just loves pushing the star rating! The Berenstain Bears books are always a great teaching tool, and this one, we as a family can relate to! Reminds me of her AND ...more
↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝
★★★★The Berenstain Bears and the Trouble with Chores by Stan and Jan Berenstain
We have Mama Bear upset again. Papa Bear and the cubs are slacking off with chores again and the house is getting trashed. She tries to assign chores to everyone, to no avail. Solution, reverse psychology, love it.
She decides she's had enough and stops cleaning. After awhile, the family works together to get the tree house back in order.
Pretty sure my house would implode, if I tried this. But is it a cute story to te
Shelli
Mama Bear is doing all the chores around the house and is getting a bit fed up. Even though sometimes the cubs and Papa have a good excuse why not to do the chores right then doesn't mean that they don't need to be done. A lesson is needed and Mamma Bear takes an unconventional approach to the problem with chores. Personally I wouldn't try Mama Bears method to get my point across. Would you?? Read the book and see.
Anna
Another great lesson from the BB. Mama Bear gets tired of assigning household chores to members of the Bear family and still ending up doing it all herself. So she lets everything go, and eventually Papa and the cubs dissatisfied with no clean towels or dishes and dirt and mold and insects all over the house! So they clean up while Mama is out.

Much appreciated by Moms!
Melissa
I love that Mama Bear just stops doing the chores and goes on her merry way to the quilting club and gardening show...I would love to walk out on my chores!! I would not like the fruit flies in the kitchen or the green slime on the shower curtain, so I try not to let the kids or husband be in charge of the important chores, saving us a visit from a HAZMAT crew.
Phannie
I didn't love some of the replacement words used for things, but otherwise a good book.
This is a wonderful book about doing chores to help out family, not because you have to. This would be a great to read at the beginning of school to help create the community feeling in the class. Students should want to help out in the classroom after reading this book.
jacky
Eh. I only take these out when Natalie asks, and she only asks because she's seen the show on Sprout. Most of these books are pretty crappy. They lack characterization and plot, the morals comes off too hard, and the illustartions aren't special. This one is no exception.
Misty
I absolutely love these Berenstain Bears books. So many of these I checked out from the library and read them to my daughter. She loved them and some of these teach great lessons. Growing up in the 80's I watched the cartoon. Good stuff!
Stephanie F.
My favorite part of reading this book with the children I babysit is when they realize what the mother bear is up to (getting the family to share in doing the household chores) before we even get to that part. : )
Shruti Rao
Ah, that time of the year when everyone asks me why I continue to read children's literature and if I'm regressing mentally.

This is no Little Richard and Mr Prickles, but it'll do for November.
angrykitty
obviously this one was to teach a lesson. all of the berenstain bears books were preachy....that was the point, but some were more preachy than others......you forget to feed the dog once....
Ashley
I love berenstain bear books, they always have good morals to the story. This book would be great to teach young children about helping at home, and the importance of everyone working together.
Theresa
the characters and stories of the berenstain bears teaching children early learning concepts.shows children the value of chores
Jaime Contreras
This is an excellent use of reverse psychology and humor. Yes, it is a kids' book but very funny.
Jaime
My kids love all the berenstain bear books! Always great lessons & values taught! :)
Rebecca (everyday reader)
The Bear family teaches important lessons!!
Joy
Now that's some parenting Momma Bear!
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Mary
Mary added it
Dec 11, 2014
  • The Berenstain Bears Give Thanks
  • Clifford and the Big Storm (Clifford)
  • Just Shopping With Mom (Little Critter)
  • Curious George Goes to an Ice Cream Shop
  • The Magic School Bus Hops Home: A Book About Animal Habitats
  • Click, Clack, Quackity-Quack: An Alphabetical Adventure
  • Curious George's ABCs
  • The Magic School Bus in the Time of the Dinosaurs (The Magic School Bus, #6)
  • Arthur's Reading Race
  • Little Miss Bossy
  • Biscuit Takes a Walk
  • Purplicious
  • Can You Tell Me How to Get to Sesame Street?
  • Cinderella (Disney's Wonderful World of Reading)
More about Stan Berenstain...
The Berenstain Bears and the Messy Room The Berenstain Bears' Trouble at School Inside, Outside, Upside Down The Berenstain Bears Forget Their Manners The Berenstain Bears and Too Much TV