Start by marking “The Berenstain Bears and The Trouble with Chores” as Want to Read:
The Berenstain Bears and The Trouble with Chores

The Berenstain Bears and The Trouble with Chores (The Berenstain Bears)

4.08  ·  Rating Details ·  1,096 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews

Papa Bear and the cubs are having some trouble with chores –– they don't want to do them! When they decide to take a break from cleaning, Mama Bear plays along. But what will happen when the mess builds up . . . and up . . . and up?

Ages 3 – 7

eBook, 0 pages
Published November 15th 2010 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published July 26th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Berenstain Bears and The Trouble with Chores, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Berenstain Bears and The Trouble with Chores

Rosa Cline
Mar 22, 2017 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, 2017
Another good Berenstain Bears book 'learning but not 'in your face' learning book. Everyone was 'meaning' to get around to doing them but never did. Mama would always have to do it for them. But one day she stopped doing it. The house started piling up with cobwebs, dishes, dirty clothes etc. The family saw how important it was for everyone to help do their part everyday. Little things every day that helps one another around the house. Written in a way that is fun to read-listen to and to look a ...more
Cassandra Gelvin
Papa Bear fails at life.

This one's a good example of the commonly-mentioned problem with the Berenstain Bears that Papa Bear is just a doofus and fails at being a human being, or whatever he is, by virtue of being male.

The kids and Papa Bear don't want to do their chores, and Mama Bear ends up doing them all and getting in a bad mood about it because she's doing everybody's chores. Then Papa calls a family meeting and says, “I think we should ease up on the chores.” And Mama goes, “That's a good
Genevieve
Apr 18, 2015 Genevieve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was about having trouble with chores and they always have good excuses for them one is about the lawn mower thing and a spider web and papa said I don't want to ruin mama's web and that was a good excuse and there was a poop one there was dog poop on the floor and the sister says I'm waiting for it to dry so it'll be easier for it to be scoop up. Brother's excuse was to skip setting the table because there was a tv show and he wanted to do a report to them. I didn't really like the sto ...more
Evan
Jul 19, 2013 Evan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-niños
Stan & Jan Berenstain's classic Berenstain Bears stories were personal favorites throughout my childhood, and now I use them often, whether for reading to young children or for teaching English to older children and adults. Not only are they beautifully illustrated, consistently humorous, and full of educational content. They also teach morals and provide guidelines for social interaction in a way that's neither patronizing, nor puerile, nor pedantic. 'The Trouble With Chores' specifically a ...more
Bernadette
Nov 26, 2012 Bernadette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book because it shows how families have to work together to keep the house in order. It also shows the balance needed to have work and play and keep everyone happy.

LESSON: At the beginning of the school year the teacher can implement a lesson on order and taking care of your classroom the same way you take care of things at home. The teacher can makes labels and place them around the classroom. The students would then identify and place things in their appropriate places. This can b
MissyDevoursDelishReads
The Berenstain Bears and the Trouble With Chores is a perfect book for our 7 year old daughter. I myself grew up on these classic stories and were one of my favorite series as a child. She too enjoys these books, and insists on a 5 Star rating, and since this is her library and book, she is rightfully entitled to her opinions. LOL She just loves pushing the star rating! The Berenstain Bears books are always a great teaching tool, and this one, we as a family can relate to! Reminds me of her AND ...more
↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝
Apr 27, 2013 ↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yes
★★★★The Berenstain Bears and the Trouble with Chores by Stan and Jan Berenstain
We have Mama Bear upset again. Papa Bear and the cubs are slacking off with chores again and the house is getting trashed. She tries to assign chores to everyone, to no avail. Solution, reverse psychology, love it.
She decides she's had enough and stops cleaning. After awhile, the family works together to get the tree house back in order.
Pretty sure my house would implode, if I tried this. But is it a cute story to te
Rebecca
Jun 02, 2015 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome kids book

I really liked this book a lot and am going to read again.
Star wars episode three
Yahoo mail and the things you've been in a few minutes late for work
Yahoo mail to quit smoking a cigarette and I have no clue where to go out with you
I don't know what you doing today and projects that are not allowed to the gym now
Yahoo and Google now on my phone was in a bit more about it here in a bit more about it
Shelli
Aug 16, 2012 Shelli rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Mama Bear is doing all the chores around the house and is getting a bit fed up. Even though sometimes the cubs and Papa have a good excuse why not to do the chores right then doesn't mean that they don't need to be done. A lesson is needed and Mamma Bear takes an unconventional approach to the problem with chores. Personally I wouldn't try Mama Bears method to get my point across. Would you?? Read the book and see.
Anna
Oct 01, 2012 Anna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Another great lesson from the BB. Mama Bear gets tired of assigning household chores to members of the Bear family and still ending up doing it all herself. So she lets everything go, and eventually Papa and the cubs dissatisfied with no clean towels or dishes and dirt and mold and insects all over the house! So they clean up while Mama is out.

Much appreciated by Moms!
Melissa
Aug 21, 2008 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love that Mama Bear just stops doing the chores and goes on her merry way to the quilting club and gardening show...I would love to walk out on my chores!! I would not like the fruit flies in the kitchen or the green slime on the shower curtain, so I try not to let the kids or husband be in charge of the important chores, saving us a visit from a HAZMAT crew.
Jan 29, 2010 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: family
This is a wonderful book about doing chores to help out family, not because you have to. This would be a great to read at the beginning of school to help create the community feeling in the class. Students should want to help out in the classroom after reading this book.
jacky
Dec 02, 2011 jacky rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Eh. I only take these out when Natalie asks, and she only asks because she's seen the show on Sprout. Most of these books are pretty crappy. They lack characterization and plot, the morals comes off too hard, and the illustartions aren't special. This one is no exception.
Sabine
Sep 29, 2014 Sabine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We read this with our kids after I got diagnosed with some health issues where I just couldn't be super mom anymore. The kids all were willing to listen and we had a great weekend cleaning and organizing.
Stephanie F.
My favorite part of reading this book with the children I babysit is when they realize what the mother bear is up to (getting the family to share in doing the household chores) before we even get to that part. : )
Misty
Jul 05, 2007 Misty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love these Berenstain Bears books. So many of these I checked out from the library and read them to my daughter. She loved them and some of these teach great lessons. Growing up in the 80's I watched the cartoon. Good stuff!
Rebecca (everyday reader)
The Bear family teaches important lessons!!
Ashley
Apr 23, 2011 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love berenstain bear books, they always have good morals to the story. This book would be great to teach young children about helping at home, and the importance of everyone working together.
Jaime Contreras
Jul 24, 2011 Jaime Contreras rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This is an excellent use of reverse psychology and humor. It is both engaging and funny.
Meaghan R. (YA-aholic)
Feb 26, 2016 Meaghan R. (YA-aholic) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
this was perfect, as we're implementing chores around the house. i swear, they wrote a book for every occasion!!!!
angrykitty
obviously this one was to teach a lesson. all of the berenstain bears books were preachy....that was the point, but some were more preachy than others......you forget to feed the dog once....
Phannie
Jan 06, 2014 Phannie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
I didn't love some of the replacement words used for things, but otherwise a good book.
Jaime
My kids love all the berenstain bear books! Always great lessons & values taught! :)
C
Aug 31, 2016 C rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
doesn't hold up to the title. didnt really see a problem
Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 Theresa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
the characters and stories of the berenstain bears teaching children early learning concepts.shows children the value of chores
Shruti Rao
Ah, that time of the year when everyone asks me why I continue to read children's literature and if I'm regressing mentally.

This is no Little Richard and Mr Prickles, but it'll do for November.
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2009
Brittnie
Brittnie rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2016
Amber Bowles
Amber Bowles rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2012
Sharman
Sharman rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2017
  • The Berenstain Bears: Safe and Sound!
  • Clifford and the Big Storm (Clifford)
  • Curious George Goes to an Ice Cream Shop
  • Happy Easter, Little Critter (Little Critter)
  • Snowy Day (Curious George)
  • My Goodnight Book
  • Little Miss Bossy
  • Arthur's Baby (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • If I Ran the Rain Forest: All About Tropical Rain Forests
  • Purplicious
  • The Magic School Bus Hops Home: A Book About Animal Habitats
More about Stan Berenstain...

The Berenstain Bears (1 - 10 of 53 books)
  • The Berenstain Bears' Nursery Tales
  • The Berenstain Bears' Nature Guide
  • The Berenstain Bears' Science Fair (Berenstain Bears)
  • Papa's Pizza
  • The Berenstain Bears' Christmas Tree
  • The Berenstain Bears Storybook Treehouse
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Wild, Wild Honey
  • Berenstain Bears Go Fly a Kite
  • The Berenstain Bears' Soccer Star (mini book)
  • The Berenstain Bears and The Big Election