Start by marking “Charitable Getting” as Want to Read:
Charitable Getting

Charitable Getting

Charity in the twenty-first century is a game. The players are artists, salesmen, and idealists, all working together to get something for nothing. At the center of the game stands Bo Sparks, charismatic CEO of SparkVISION Consulting, which runs campaigns for the charities under its care. Surrounded by the wealthy and the desperate, Sparks just wants to do a little good in ...more
Published November 1st 2010 by Extribulum Press

To ask other readers questions about Charitable Getting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Charitable Getting

Lesley Hastings
Jan 15, 2011 Lesley Hastings rated it it was amazing
This is an utterly charming novel about the ins and outs of the not-for-profit sector in the 21st century. Ostensibly, the novel centres on SparkVISION, a company specialising in PR for not-for-profit agencies, and the way that it's employees become embroiled in the mystery surrounding the identity of "Non-Prophet", a peseudonymous blogger whose incisive insights into the not-for-prophet world antagonises the producers of traditional print media. Things come to a head when SparkVISION falls ...more
Priscilla
Jan 01, 2012 Priscilla rated it really liked it
My first book of 2012!

"Charitable Getting" is the first non-fanfic fiction I've read from Sam, and I really enjoyed it! Sam has a gift for writing complex, likeable characters.

I suspect anyone with passing familiarity with Sam's blog will have no difficulty sussing out the big reveal from the first mention of the mystery, but I nevertheless enjoyed the chase. I look forward to reading more from him.
Caitlin
Dec 27, 2013 Caitlin rated it it was amazing
Available for free online. (One such place is at http://extribulum.wordpress.com/free-...)

This story follows the workers at a charity consulting company called SparkVISION. They help charities rebrand themselves, do ad campaigns, run damage control, etc. Because they're working for charities, it's very important that they earn their money, and many of them are doing their work more for the love of it than their pay--they're a small group, often over-worked and hassled. And yet they're a tight-kn
erforscherin
A quick read for a lazy day, and a reasonably entertaining read at that, though there's little here which feels particularly memorable in the long-term - (view spoiler)

As is Starbuck's skill, the banter between the characters flows smoothly as always, and frankly Bo Sparks has enough charisma to
Anna
Feb 02, 2015 Anna rated it it was amazing
This book was a joy to read; having intended to read it for years, I finally picked it up to distract myself from my own life and found myself thoroughly and pleasantly swept away. Perfectly-paced, witty, warm, and thoughtful, full of delightful, ridiculous characters I wish I knew, I would recommend this to anyone: it's worth it.
Anna Marie
Dec 31, 2013 Anna Marie rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
A fun and entertaining read about some serious issues in the not-for-profit world of SparksVISION a PR company for charities. The characters are believable but quirky, for instance the new interns get to go through the Sarah "gauntlet" guaranteed to make some of them cry and run away in terror and the members of SparksVISION place bets on the outcome.
Oh_no_not_now
Sep 01, 2012 Oh_no_not_now rated it really liked it
Completely charming, but left me feeling as if I hadn't really read anything when I was done. I love Sam Starbuck, though, and his style is really a treat.
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2012
Chelsey
Chelsey rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2013
Patti
Patti rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2012
Luce1980
Luce1980 rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2014
Anurasika
Anurasika rated it did not like it
Dec 31, 2010
Chahrazed
Chahrazed rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2015
Meghan Kelly
Meghan Kelly rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2011
Silvain
Silvain rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2015
Candice
Candice rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2012
Beverly
Beverly rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2011
Anna
Anna rated it liked it
Jun 18, 2014
Carly
Carly rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2013
Amanda Ching
Amanda Ching rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2011
Msgypsy
Msgypsy rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2012
Moko
Moko rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2012
Ari
Ari rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2013
Sam Lee
Sam Lee rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2011
Jenn Walker
Jenn Walker rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2015
Gale
Gale rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2010
Cecilia
Cecilia rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2011
Mazzerin
Mazzerin rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2013
Holly
Holly rated it really liked it
May 23, 2012
Joan Petrusky
Joan Petrusky rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Sam is a corporate samurai, blogger, and former theatre punk who lives and works in Chicago, Illinois.

Secretly, he is a Time Lord.

He writes literary fiction, magical realism in specific, as well as steampunk-oriented fantasy, the occasional satire (he can quit any time he likes) and sometimes even fanfic.
More about Sam Starbuck...