Start by marking “To Live Again” as Want to Read:
To Live Again

Catherine Marshall

To Live Again

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  172 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Treasured for many years, this story of Catherine Marshall's triumph over grief offers divine comfort, human love, and spiritual adventure. In To Live Again, Catherine candidly shares the frustrations, anger, confusion and "soreness of heart" that she experienced after the death of her husband, Peter. As a young widow and single mother, she felt she had been left without l ...more
Published August 1st 1984 by Fleming H. Revell Company (first published 1957)

To ask other readers questions about To Live Again, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Live Again

Annette
I read this while on holidays in Cairns ages ago. It rocked my world!
Catherine Marshall is long gone, but I have always felt a real affiliation with her, her writing is so familiar, you feel like you are sitting down with her as she pours her heart out.

I am a fellow heart-pourer-outer, so Catherine Marshall, I love you.

So helpful for anyone who has suffered and struggles with the fallout, or even for those who just long for a deep and real encounter with God.

I have read so many other books by
Summisse
I shared a portion of this treasure with a victim of 911 who had lost a husband in the towers. Her husband died a hero saving others. To Live Again is timeless, the wisdom in this books heals, and create a path for healthy grief.
Deborah
I love Catherine Marshall's writing---I read this shortly after my dear Grandmother had died, and it was as though I was comforted and felt Grandma close by in Marshall's writing---I began to consume her books!
Susan
I found this book beautiful, and heartwarming and a joy to read.

Catherine describes unexplainable experiences stunningly, in such a way that you really understand and see what she experienced. Her life is amazing and I think that her life after her husband died was better than when he was alive (dare I say it).

This story raises questions for me about the role of women. Throughout this story Catherine aims to honour her husband's memory and her husband in everything she does and has done, she is
Dan Chance
When Peter died he was a young man and though he had experienced an earlier brush with death, neither he nor his wife were prepared for his death. Catherine was numb for a while but her faith began to pull her through the bereavement. First she was drawn to publish his sermons, which she did as Mr Jones, Meet the Masterand then the story of his life as A Man Called Peter: The Story of Peter Marshall. She was a talented writer but as she discovered her efforts were inadequate to bring the sermons ...more
Karin Grice
Published in 1957, it's amazing how well this book has kept its relevance. A heart-felt but not schmaltzy or churchy account of suddenly losing a husband and what to make of the new life that follows. Anyone who has experienced the death of their beloved spouse will find this helpful support and reassurance that this existence is not all there is and that life can go on in surprising ways.
Misti
Would love to chat out chapter 11 Is There Life After Death with a good friend and confidant. This book was about the loss of Catherine Marshall's husband, Peter, to earthly death and her healing and growing time in the Lord in its wake.
Crystal
Oct 19, 2008 Crystal rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those struggling with separation and loss, Christians, people seeking meaning in life
Shelves: christian
This book is old and a little dated/ conservative. but if you're willing to look past that, it's a really good book. Catherine Marshall lets people into her life and walks them along the road she walked to "live again" after her husband died at a tragically young age. Her faithfulness to his memory, and spreading the work that he did, has enriched the lives of many people, and watching her bloom into the talented author she later became was helpful and encouraging. The book is a testament to the ...more
Curtiss Matlock
I remembered reading it years ago, when devouring Marshall's books, one right after another. I knew I needed it now, having lost my own husband. I am surprised by how personally it speaks to me. I had forgotten that it chronicles Catherine's writing journey. It speaks to me mostly about her determination to follow and trust God with her life.

Catherine Marshall's writing is honest and open and carries the reader along in her life. I love it.
Danielle
Another Catherine Marshall book; took me awhile to read this one. I started it long ago. As I was a bit emotional after Peter was born, it made me a bit teary eyed in some places when she was describing learning to "live again" after her Peter passed away.
Margaret
Beautiful book. One that I would gladly read again.
Martha
Wonderful story of a widow's journey to wholeness
Felicia
Felicia marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
LemonLinda
LemonLinda marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Tamara
Tamara marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Deborah
Deborah marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Pauline Doyle
Pauline Doyle marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Yareni
Yareni marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
  • First We Have Coffee
  • Thoughts of a Grasshopper: Essays and Oddities
  • Chocolate for a Woman's Soul: 77 Stories to Feed Your Spirit and Warm Your Heart
  • Camilla, a Biography of Camilla Eyring Kimball
  • Just Hand Over the Chocolate and No One Will Get Hurt
  • Improving Your Serve: The Art of Unselfish Living
  • Shakkai: Women of the Sacred Garden
  • Rebel with a Cause
Christy A Man Called Peter: The Story of Peter Marshall Julie Something More : In Search of a Deeper Faith Beyond Our Selves