Start by marking “La sagra del delitto ” as Want to Read:
La sagra del delitto

La sagra del delitto (Hercule Poirot #31)

3.76  ·  Rating Details ·  12,140 Ratings  ·  539 Reviews
La sagra campestre avrà luogo nella tenuta di Sir George Stubbs. È deciso. Ed è anche decisa una “caccia all’assassino”, originale variante della classica caccia al tesoro. Ad Ariadne Oliver, scrittrice di romanzi polizieschi, è stato affidato l’incarico di metterla a punto. Niente di problematico per lei, se non avvertisse che qualcosa, in quell’ambiente, non va come dovr ...more
Paperback, Oscar Gialli #47, 200 pages
Published 1979 by Mondadori (first published October 1956)

To ask other readers questions about La sagra del delitto, please sign up.

Eve His prize was d. a puppet. He tried to give it to the man in the turtle shirt as Poirot had bumped into him just before.

Jeff
Jan 31, 2017 Jeff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: who-done-it

Hercule Poirot stood in front of the gathered group, toying with his ostentatious mustache and proclaimed, “Using my methods of deduction I have ascertained with much ingenuity, the vexing solution to this crime.”

He paused to build the on the moment and allow his words of triumph to have their greatest effect.

“The Jacuzzi salesman dressed in a gimp outfit, first rendered our victim unconscious with a sharp blow to the back of the head; drugged him; then gutted him with a Samurai sword that belon
Τζο
Jan 24, 2016 Τζο rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ο λογος που αγαπω να διαβαζω Agatha Christie βρισκεται κρυμμενος στις κιτρινισμενες σελιδες της απαρχαιωμένης εκδοσης που εχω αγορασει σε καποιο παρακμιακο μαγαζακι. Ταξιδευει μαζι με την λατρεμενη μυρωδια παλαιοκαιρισμενου χαρτιου μεχρι τα ρουθουνια μου και εκει σκαει γεμιζοντας το κορμι μου με την αναμνηση της Αγγλιας οπως την γνωρισα απο κοντα αλλα και της Αγγλιας του 1920/1930/1940 κτλ που θα ηθελα να γνωρισω. Ας πουμε πως διαβαζω Agatha Christie για συναισθηματικους λογους και οχι γιατι ειν ...more
Laura Verret
Dislike. I found the explanation TOO outlandish to be considered convincing.
Obsidian
Oct 29, 2015 Obsidian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I thought this book from beginning to end was classic Agatha Christie. I was happy to read it, especially since it felt like the last few books have been hit or misses for me.

This one has Hercule Poirot in it from beginning to end. Called in by Adriane Oliver because of a "feeling" she has, Poirot travels to her and listens to her explaining she feels she is being led to something in order for a real murder to take place.

The characters in this one are really fascinating. We have Adriane who was
Evgeny
Oct 31, 2012 Evgeny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A murder mystery role play (to put it in modern terms) turns into a real murder which for all practical purposes does not make any sense as the victim is a harmless girl.

I dare anybody to solve this one without waiting for Poirot to explain everything in the end of the book; all the clues are there, none of them is hidden. The plot is so complicated you will have my greatest respect if you do. I was lost somewhere in the middle of the book, until this time I was able to follow Poirot.

5 stars t
Yngvild
Feb 13, 2010 Yngvild rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Dead Man’s Folly is one of Agatha Christie’s jolliest stories, evidently one she had fun writing. It is set in a country fête held in the grounds of a large country house, so the cast of characters includes the whole span of village life from “Sir George”, through foreign hikers from the next-door hostel, to the locals being obligingly colourful. “Du ee want the ferry, sir?” There is, fortunately, a list of characters at the front of the book in case you get lost.

Christie fans will spot many of
Lisa Kay
Greenway Boathouse, bought by Ms. Christie for £6,000 in 1932, was the setting for a murder in Dead Man's Folly.

★★★★☆ (This is a review of the audiobook.) What can I say about a talented actor such as David Suchet narrating a classic Agatha Christie mystery? The same actor who has not only won awards for his audiobook narrations, but actually played Dame Christie’s iconic fictional Belgian detective, Poirot? Only that he kicks this one up a notch - or a star, anyway.

If you haven’t listened to
Laurel Young
SumitRK
Jul 03, 2016 SumitRK rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one has a perfect setting for a murder mystery : Starts with a "Murder Hunt" (A treasure hunt with a twist) and things start going wrong.
The murder seems without a motive at all & the victim has no known enemies And the mystery keeps deepening. Looking back,the finer clues were very carefully placed right before you, like missing pieces of a jigsaw puzzle.
The characters, the setting & the story all are great. The only complain is that Poirot's part in entire investigation is ver
Matthew
Jan 02, 2016 Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: crime fans, murder mystery fans, Poirot fans, Agatha Christie fans,
Shelves: 4
I've only read two of Agatha Christie's novels before this (And Then There Were None and The Man in the Brown Suit, the former which I found brilliant and the latter which I found dreadful), but I'm very clearly developing a love for Agatha and her marvelous brain; I've heard it said that Dead Man's Folly is lesser Agatha Christie and that this is a rehash of her previous Poirots, but I found this dastardly delightful. Sure, I'd seen DMF twice adapted for the small screen (with David Suchet and ...more
Julie Davis
How can this be? I know I must have read this before but nothing seems familiar. So I have the delightful feeling of a fresh, new Agatha Christie.

The premise is delightful. Mystery author Ariadne Oliver has been hired to organize a Murder Hunt game for a small village fete. She asks Hercule Poirot to join her because her intuition tells her something is off.

And, of course, that pretty much guarantees murder is going to be one of the events.
Michael A
I almost rated this two stars, but I don't think I can go that low after thinking about it a little bit. The curious thing about Christie in the later books is her tendency to break her own mysteries. Here is a great example.

I do like her self reference, though it is deeply superficial. The odd Mrs. Oliver again makes her appearance, trying to arrange a pageant of murder within a book that does the same thing. Once again we have her saying she doesn't know why people like her books and having di
Mahlon
Jan 19, 2017 Mahlon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dead Man's Folly is notable for it's rich descriptions of the suspects, brought to life incredibly by David Suchet in the audiobook. Some might say it's not much of a mystery but I couldn't guess this one so I won't complain :)

I do have to comment on one of the characters though, it didn't sit well with me that Hattie was continually referred to as sub normal, just because this was written in the 1950s doesn't make it right.
Ema
Oct 16, 2016 Ema rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Desiludiu-me um pouco devido à explicação do crime e às suas razões. Parecia que estava a ler sobre um crime completamente diferente daquele que nos foi apresentado ao longo do livro. E não fiquei convencida. Apenas gostei que uma certa e determinada peça, sempre muito presente ao longo da história, tenho tido uma relevância especial no final do livro.
Abbey
Convoluted tale of murder and mistaken identities at a magnificent mansion during a fete, filled with peculiar characters and interesting twists. A Girl Guide gets herself murdered in a boathouse where she’s supposed to be *pretending* to be a dead body for a peculiar game that starts out being partly “solve the mystery” and part treasure hunt, but soon escalates to something far more deadly.

Sharp characterizations and florid plotting make this fun even though it’s not one of her best - it’s ra
Debbie
Oct 16, 2012 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The ‘folly’ of the title is actually an architectural term defined as “an eccentric, generally non-functional structure erected to enhance a romantic landscape.” Of course, the play on words using the more commonly understood meaning of the word is intentional. In this classic Christie, Adriadne Oliver arranges a mock Murder Hunt for charity and calls in her friend Hercule Poirot when a real body is discovered. Although this was published in 1956, it has the feel of one of Christie’s slightly ol ...more
Jill Hutchinson
A short and interesting (although a bit far-fetched) entry in the Poirot series in which Poirot gets a call from his friend and best selling mystery writer, Ariadne Oliver, begging him to come to a country estate where "something is not quite right". She does not elaborate but Poirot is curious enough to make the trip to Nasse House where Ms. Oliver is preparing a Murder Game for the village fair. Although she cannot seem to explain what "isn't quite right", it soon turns out that, indeed, somet ...more
Andrea
Sometimes it is the journey and not the destination that proves to be more exciting. Dead Man's Folly turned out to be just the case. I enjoyed the set up, the mystery, Poirot's investigation, but the solution left me cold. It was plausible and neatly wrapped up, but seemed rather far-fetched and, dare I say, recycled? Just wasn't my cup of tea.
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Je ne me lasse jamais d'Hercule Poirot et des ses aventures. J'en ai lu certaines de nombreuses fois et j'ai vu leurs adaptations à la télévision et au cinéma mais leur lecture me donne toujours autant de plaisir:)
Jessica Prescott
Brilliant. One of the best murder mysteries I've read in a long, long time. Quite compelling as well as puzzling. Also: I PARTIALLY SOLVED IT!!!!!!! (Yes, I know; I didn't *really* solve it. Hush. Don't spoil my fun ;-) )
Abeer
Aug 28, 2016 Abeer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
incredible incredible incredible أنا احبك اغاثا كريستي ارتاحي بسلام ياعجوزتي المفضلة
Michele
Jan 07, 2010 Michele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For crying out loud, is there ANY Poirot novel that I can figure out WHODUNIT before the last page? So far not. Review to come.....
Ali
Jul 13, 2012 Ali rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dead Man’s Folly I think I have read twice before – and have seen a TV adaptation too – so maybe it was no real surprise that I began to remember things after about 60 pages. It all remained very muddled in my head though and so I had to read on to see what I had remembered correctly.
In Dead Man’s Folly, Hercule Poirot is summoned to Devon by Ariadne Oliver – a character of Agatha Christie’s that is quite obviously a thinly disguised self-portrait. I’ve always really rather liked Ariadne Oliver
Célia M. Martins
May 04, 2016 Célia M. Martins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: agatha-christie
Agatha Christie, uma vez mais, a surpreender-me.

Peguei neste livro ontem à tarde e, depois de ler os primeiros capítulos, não descansei enquanto não cheguei à página final.

Não vou dizer que este seja um dos melhores livros da autora, até porque a sua obra é muito extensa e eu ainda só li alguns dos seus livros (daí não ter grande termo de comparação). Contudo, gostei bastante desta leitura.

A premissa é original: aquilo que começa por ser um simples jogo de caça ao assassino, engendrado por uma
rabbitprincess
Jul 10, 2011 rabbitprincess rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to rabbitprincess by: the David Suchet adaptation
Shelves: agatha-christie, 2012
* * 1/2

It's a village fête with a twist: instead of a treasure hunt, noted mystery novelist Ariadne Oliver has been tasked with devising a "Murder Hunt". Sounds like a lot of fun! However, Mrs. Oliver is concerned. She has a strange feeling that things could go wrong. So she calls in Hercule Poirot, on the pretence of being the prize-giver for the Murder Hunt, but unfortunately he is too late to prevent a real murder…

This will be one of the final novels adapted for Agatha Christie's Poirot, and
Barb
Jun 18, 2011 Barb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dead Man's Folly does not make my list of top 10 favorite Agatha Christie mysteries. The victim, to me is inconsequential and I simply didn't care whether she was throttled or not. The characters (suspects) are not as developed as in some of her other books like Death on the Nile and the ending, albeit satisfactory is abrupt. However, it is still a Christie mystery and it has twists and turns that will entertain most mystery-lovers. The clues are there for the sharp reader to pick up and sort, a ...more
Deir Zahrani
May 21, 2016 Deir Zahrani rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
The story was about a murder of girl which seemed like there was no motive at all. The victim was a girl scout, 14, and had no known enemy.

The clue was obvious but like always, it led me nowhere. What I enjoy the most was the fast-moving plot towards the end, made me want to keep turning the page. And the fact that she gave us a misleading character -a stranger come from nowhere- already make me feel like he was actually the key to the case. I mean the good key. Because from what I read, The Qu
Zahra

لكنني اندهشت بعد هذه الرواية
نهاية غير متوقعة مطلقا بل وتتمع بذكاء عالي ايضا
تحليل الجريمة كان ممتعا بشدة
Oscar Despard
Jul 15, 2016 Oscar Despard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A truly excellent Poirot mystery. From an utterly baffling situation, Poirot elegantly comes up with a solution that was hidden in plain sight all along. My guess was utterly wrong, and I thoroughly enjoyed this novel. It is another brilliantly baffling mystery from Agatha Christie.
Leah
Agatha Christie + Hercule Poirot - I am definitely okay with this being my first read of 2016.

more thoughts on the blog!
Madison Mega-Mara...: #40 - Dead Man's Folly (Poirot #31) 1 2 May 03, 2016 05:15AM
Agatha Christie L...: September 2015 - Dead Man's Folly 7 47 Sep 11, 2015 12:12PM
  • Death and the Dancing Footman (Roderick Alleyn, #11)
  • Gambit (Nero Wolfe, #37)
  • Have His Carcase  (Lord Peter Wimsey, #8)
  • Flowers for the Judge (Albert Campion #7)
  • The Life and Times of Hercule Poirot

More about Agatha Christie...

Hercule Poirot (1 - 10 of 39 books)
  • The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot, #1)
  • The Murder on the Links (Hercule Poirot, #2)
  • Poirot Investigates (Hercule Poirot, #3)
  • The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)
  • The Big Four (Hercule Poirot, #5)
  • The Mystery of the Blue Train (Hercule Poirot, #6)
  • Black Coffee (Hercule Poirot, #7)
  • Peril at End House (Hercule Poirot, #8)
  • Lord Edgware Dies (Hercule Poirot, #9)
  • Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10)

“I mean, what can you say about how you write your books? What I mean is, first you've got to think of something, and then when you've thought of it you've got to force yourself to sit down and write it. That's all." ~ Mrs. Oliver” 13 likes
“I have always noticed that these artists and writers are very unbalanced” 6 likes