Start by marking “Why Don't You Get a Horse, Sam Adams?” as Want to Read:
Why Don't You Get a Horse, Sam Adams?

Why Don't You Get a Horse, Sam Adams?

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  175 ratings  ·  15 reviews
In early America, when all the men wore ruffled shirts and rode grandly on horseback, one man refused to follow suit. He was the rebel leader Sam Adams, a plainspoken gent who scorned ruffles, refused to ride a horse, and had little regard for the King. This lively biography is a nice, personal look at a leader and his times.
Published September 9th 1996 by Puffin Books (first published 1948)

To ask other readers questions about Why Don't You Get a Horse, Sam Adams?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why Don't You Get a Horse, Sam Adams?

Heather
My boys say this should actually be 4 1/2 stars. They really enjoyed this quick introduction to Sam Adams. My 6-yr-old loved the mention of his dog, Queue, and was upset when the dog died. We learned a lot about Sam and the events leading up to the revolution.

Although things like the Stamp Act and Boston Tea Party are mentioned briefly it was enough to whet their appetite. Since they are somewhat familiar with them, they were excited to see the part Sam Adams played in history and were anxious t
Robert
Fritz writes interesting historical (early United States history) books. These are typical in fourth grade. Today I picked up this book from the bookshelf. It's a fairly quick read.

Admittedly, I didn't know a whole lot about Samuel Adams prior to reading this other than the beer originally brewed (no longer though) in Boston.

Adams was an instigator and was the one behind the Boston Tea Party. Paul Revere's ride was to alarm Adams that the redcoats were looking for him; they weren't pleased that
Amy
What a guy! I know a few people from Boston and I can see some resemblance :-) Good, interesting history book with lots of fun details (especially loved hearing about his dog, Queue that bit the redcoats!) My 7 year old Revolutionary war nut loved it.
Marilyn
Sam would walk everywhere so he could talk to people and "keep them angry with England." You can't have conversations all day from the back of a horse. He walked until his cousin John convinced him that statesmen rode horses. Funny.
Karen
Jacob and mom rated the book 3 1/2 stars. Ellie rated the book 5 stars because it had horses in it and she loves horses.
Mckinley
Interesting overview of Sam Adams and the situation at the beginning of the Revolutionary War.
Joenna
Biography on Sam Adams and his involvement with the Revolution. The story's plot centers around Sam Adams and his refusal to ride a horse as he walks everywhere. I didn't know too much about Sam Adams, and so enjoyed this book.
FATSO aka D'Angelo Slater
it good because in the frist statue he has no hrse in the second one he has a horse i like the book because he falls of the horse when they teach him how to ride the horse the whole story is about him geting a horse
Vicky
Apr 22, 2012 Vicky added it
Shelves: library-books
I have enjoyed all of Jean Fritz's books, I think I know all about a person she has written about, but she has ALWAYS found some small bit of information that I find fascinating.
Penny
Great storytelling! I love Fritz's books because they can be read in one sitting and have so much information packed in an entertaining read.
Eireanne
On the suggested summer reading list for students.
Diane
I like any book that teaches children history in a fun way.
Jeannie Scheirman
Cute way to learn a bit about the Amer. Rev.
John
Pretty good beer!!!
Carson
Carson marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
J.
J. marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Rhonda Dausman
Rhonda Dausman marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Jaymie
Jaymie marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Misterka Homeschool
Misterka Homeschool marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
P Sawyer
P Sawyer marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Mat
Mat marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
  • Ben Franklin and the Magic Squares
  • Squanto, Friend Of The Pilgrims
  • Farmer George Plants a Nation
  • Sam the Minuteman
Jean Fritz is a children’s author who has a fascination with writing historical fictions. She was born on November 16, 1915, in Hankow, China to missionary parents. After living in China for 13 years, Fritz and her family moved back to the United States. Beginning her career with an English degree, Fritz became an award-winning and respected author. She has received an honor for every book that sh ...more
More about Jean Fritz...
Homesick: My Own Story The Cabin Faced West And Then What Happened, Paul Revere? What's the Big Idea, Ben Franklin? Can't You Make Them Behave, King George?