Start by marking “Undead and Unwed (Betsy Taylor, #1)” as Want to Read:
Undead and Unwed (Betsy Taylor, #1)

Undead and Unwed (Undead #1)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  39,019 ratings  ·  2,117 reviews

MaryJanice Davidson's cult hit Undead and Unwed is a delightful mixture of Sex and the City and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Waking up in a tacky coffin, and wearing off-brand shoes, Betsy Taylor can't believe the horrible turn her life has taken–then she discovers she's a vampire. Soon, Betsy becomes a participant in a power struggle between the forces of darkness. With only

MP3 Book, Unabridged, 0 pages
Published January 18th 2010 by Recorded Books, LLC (first published March 2nd 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Undead and Unwed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Undead and Unwed

Eddie
This is one of those guilty pleasure books that you feel somewhat embarassed about. Shuffling through the romance section of Barnes & Noble is a new and awkward treat for me. Not only did I not expect to ever read anything from this side of the bookstore, I never expected to enjoy it quite so much.

Before I go any further, my macho side feels compelled to point out that I originally stumbled upon one of Davidson's books in the new releases section and, having recently read Christopher Moore'
valee
Maybe it could be a 3 stars rating.

This book made me laugh hard most of the time. Although you must understand that it is a book to have a nice time, a fast and fun read. Don't expect any more that that because you won't get it. There's nothing serious about this book. There's no real romance neither. But still I had a great time.

The heroine is amazing. What can I say? I loved her humor. She's wicked and naughty, LOL. She really does have a great personality. My only problem was that she was to
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Betsy has had a bad day. She gets laid off from work and then hit by a car and smashed into a tree. When she wakes up in a coffin at the funeral home, wearing a ghastly pink suit and her "stepmonsters" cheap pink heels, she thinks she's a zombie and tries to top herself. Again and again and again. It takes a six-year-old to point out to her that she's got fangs and is a vampire.

That's just the beginning of Betsy's really bad week. Her best friend Jessica takes it all in her stride, and so does h
Rita
The first good thing that I have to say about this book is that I love the title. It's funny. So, when I picked it up I had great expectations to it's entertaining value during my daily commuting. Sadly, I was wrong.

This book was in my opinion not funny at all, although I must stay that it tried very hard to be a funny book. Too hard, even.

The second positive that I have to say is that it's read quite quickly. That is a good thing, for a book this bad should either be tossed right away or be ov
Jess
SO this book is about a narcissistic, slightly stupid woman who dies and becomes a vampire. But, she has all of these abilities that other vamps don't. She can walk in the daylight, go on holy ground, wear a cross, etc... The reason is because she is the foretold queen that has finally risen. Some of the current bad-ass vamps find out and want her to join their side.

Overall, the book was okay. I wasn't thrilled with it. I thought that the author was trying a little too hard for the characters to
Exina
“Just because I’m dead doesn’t mean I can’t have a life.”

Based on the cover, I thought it would be a light story and it was. I hadn’t really read the blurb before I started reading.

The narration is smart, as the story is told by Betsy’s viewpoint, so you can comprehend and experience things with her.

Sashana
I am a huge fan of chick-lit and paranormal romance, so combining the two genres is like reader heaven for me. Seriously, you get the best of both genres with this book: the insecure but lovable protagonist, her bad ass vampire crush, and some steamy sex scenes. What more could a girl ask for?

I was not going to stumble around like a zombie, scaring the hell out of people and pretending I still had a place in the world. "God," I said, teetering for balance, "I'm coming to see you know."

Betsy is
Carolyn (Book Chick City)
Undead and Unwed is the first book in the series featuring Betsy Taylor. Betsy is a young secretary who is attacked and then two months later run over by a car. She wakes up in a coffin and realises things are not quite right.

Betsy is fun, witty and loves shoes *a girl after my own heart* and after many attempts at trying to end her undead life, as her life pretty much sucked after losing her job, she realises that she cannot kill herself as she is now a vampire. She's also fairly independent, *
I wish Good Reads had more “star categories”. I would give this book 4 stars for concept and 0 stars for execution. This is another choice from my book rental club. Sometimes those choices have felt like crap shoots. Part of the problem stems from the fact that I make my choices based on reviews and book descriptions on the book rental web site. None of the reviews I read warned me that were this story a movie, it would be rated a very hard R.

The book cover is also misleading. Its cover art giv
Amy
I think I'm still shell-shocked from reading this book. I belong to a "fascinating" book club where we only try and pick horrendous and/or fun/lights reads to make fun of when we get together. I actually had higher hopes when I started this one. I found out it was based in the Twin Cities where we all live, it had some witty and entertaining writing and it had been compared to "Buffy the Vampire Slayer", which is my favorite television show of all time.
No - just no. I was really sickened by this
Jasmin
Jul 03, 2010 Jasmin rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Paranormal romance readers
Elizabeth Taylor. Betsy for short.

Life's been tough on her. Betsy got laid off. It's her birthday and she's too depressed to even celebrate. Then she gets hit by a car and dies. Well, not exactly, for she wakes up a few days later and she's in a freaking coffin.

While life has been cruel on her, her death hasn't been easy on her either. She's an odd freak of nature. It's not exactly normal to be walking after you shattered your skull into pieces. She tries killing herself, but to no avail, nothin
Wicked ♥  (Wickedly Bookish Reviews) aka Bat-Jess
I read this last year and was just suggested it again. I never finished it so I didn't think it was fair to include it in my books read, but now I just want to rate and review it so that it won't be suggested to me again.

I am aware that this is just a fun read and not meant to be taken seriously, but honestly I couldn't stand it. The main character is a complete superficial, materialistic, idiot. There were some funny parts, but it was not enough to redeem this book for me.

Wasting my time on t
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
This book is such a cheese fest but delicious all the same. It's exactly the kind of book you'd read when you're down because the ridiculousness of it is just so endearing as a whole.

The heroine, Betsy(yeap), is a newly made Undead and not happy about it, especially considering that what she's seen of the world of vampires so far is sooo last year. She loves her designer shoes, they make her world go round, hates her stepmother, loves her awfully rich best friend and absolutely hates the badly d
Eden
Uh, where to start. This book is a very bland sort of read. The thrills aren't really thrilly, the action doesn't really happen and the romance is just unromantic. There are some funny bits, but far too few and the rest of the jokes forced. The main character, Betsy (great name) is a spunky blonde shoe-aholic, or at least she's meant to be. At least the author knows her character is a raving brat and tries to run with it. This book requires the reader to suspend their disbelief - mainly by using ...more
Jess
I found Mary Janice Davidson through a recommendation on Barnes and Noble based on previous authors (Janet Evanovich I'm assuming) I've read. I decided to give the first one "Undead and Unwed" a try and was very pleasantly surprised. I was a little saddened/embarrassed to see that it was filed in the romance section with the cheesy romance novels, but it didn't feel like that was what I was reading. Very similar to the Janet Evanovich novels it has a hilarious heroine Betsy (Elizabeth) Taylor wh ...more
E.V.Franzmnn E.V.Franzmnn
Reviewed on 05/07/2012

Reasons to read this book:

• If you just finish reading a dystopian book, where everyone is starving to death and fighting for survival, and want to get rid of that serious face and that line on your forehead.
• If you just finish reading a dystopian book where everyone is starving to death and fighting for survival, and you want eat chocolate ice cream without feeling guilty for all of those starving kids in the book.
• If you had a tough week at work and want to let out so
Inara
Dec 27, 2007 Inara rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who love vampires with humor
Title of the German edition:
Weiblich, ledig, untot

Elizabeth "Betsy" Taylor is hit by a car, dies, wakes up in her coffin and realizes she´s not dead but a vampire. But not our common vampire, no! She still can go into churches, a cross and holy water doesn´t affect her and sunlight is no problem. No wonder that other vampires are inclined to believe she´s the prophesied vampire queen. But Betsy just wants to live her life exactly like before she became a vampire she´s totally uninterested in va
The Flooze
Ah, Queen Betsy. How I adore thee.

Betsy Taylor is obnoxious, ditsy, and positively obsessed with shoes. On her 30th birthday she becomes quite undead, and suddenly she's faced with new friends, a prophesy, a sexy yet sinister admirer, and an ungodly new thirst for blood.

Betsy's antics are laugh out loud funny. MJD manages to make her irritating yet lovable, while Betsy's entourage only adds to the hilarity. I enjoy how MJD turns the vampire myth on its head, making Betsy stand out as the only va
Debbie
Jun 03, 2010 Debbie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Debbie by: <a href="http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/3390039-gus-carrick"> Gus Carrick </a> - pifm 5/10
I understand this is a funny version of vampires, but (now maybe it is because I am not a shoe hound) it didn't do much for me. It had some really funny parts that had me literally laughing out loud (got a few strange looks), but for the most part I found Betsy materialistic (obviously), distractable (self proclaimed) and sort of "Valley-girl" meets "Sex in the City" stupid (for the lack of words to describe). A distraction from everyday paranormal, nothing like a romance even existed in it, but ...more
Jim
I gave this 2 stars when I read it, but it's 3.4 in the audio book format. The reader, Nancy Wu, did a wonderful job of doing Betsy's voice. The valley girl turned vampire really came through as the funny character she is. Where the humor fell flat for me before, now it had me chuckling out loud.

It's a cute story, a true candy read. I will listen to the next book, but I won't try to read any more.
Lissa Smith

I love vampire books! The heroine Betsy is hilarious and you can completely relate to her. The jokes come fast and furious in a laugh aloud quick read. It will be a pleasure to see how the story develops in future volumes. Patiently waiting to read what is next for Queen Elizabeth and her new Consort as it is bound to be another terrific adventure.
Büşra Bal
bu aralar yeniden ve yeniden okuduğum kitap :D aynı kısmı 100 kez okuduğum halde gene güldürüyor beni,betsy acayip matrak,eric çok seksi,jess çok çatlak ve hikaye çok eğlenceli :D kesinlikle okunması gerek :D
Bark's Book Nonsense
Updating my "read" books. I reviewed this for All About Romance years ago. The review is archived HERE .
Andie
this was a great read...funny...i plan on reading the other books
Liz
Ohhh what a pleasant surprise! I tried this book because I really liked the title and I ended up really liking it!

We meet Betsy Taylor. Yeah, her full name is Elizabeth. So... its Elizabeth Taylor. Don't say it - she's already heard it all! But THIS Elizabeth Taylor is a recently laid off secretary. Getting laid off was only part of what that day the worst of her life. The other part, really, if we were to be honest, the WORST part of her awful day was the part where she died. Yeah, it kinda suc
Kelley Anne
This was an extremely funny series, unlike any vampire book I've ever read! It starts out with Betsy, short for Elizabeth, telling the readers about the worst day of her life. “The day I died started out bad and got worse in a hurry.” It’s her birthday, she gets fired from her job, her cat runs away, a freak snowstorm in April cancels her birthday party, and she gets hit by a car and killed. The problem is that she just can’t stay dead!

Betsy is so unlike ANY other vampire I've ever read about!
Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog)
Betsy Taylor's day starts out bad and ends up worse, first she gets fired, her cat runs away...again, and then she gets run over and killed. A very bad day. When she wakes up as the newly undead she decides to live her death to the max, the only think stopping her is a psycho vampire with seriously bad fashion sense and Eric Sinclair, the vampire that she can't seem to stop lusting after even though she completely (yeah right!) despises him.

This book wasn't bad, it made me smile and even laugh a
Dianna
It's just as fun and silly as it sounds. I enjoyed it in the same way as Sookie Stackhouse, but a bit more. The main character was a lot more likable. The steamy scenes are infinitely more steamy, and there's none of that broody "am I a monster" junk.
Betsy has a few points against her: she's tall, gorgeous, blonde, and a former fashion model. Eye roll. However, she's nowhere near the egotist that Sookie is (Sookie likes to go on and on about suntanning in a bikini... who could like that?). Betsy
Exina

I love Betsy, there is much potential in her character. She is a newbie vampire, with distinguishing abilities. She has to learn much about her vampire nature, but also has to rise to the challenge of her new position in the vampire society. Betsy’s hapha
Kate
To be perfectly honest, I was a little unsure about these books before I read them. Although I do enjoy watching True Blood, I was never a part of the Twilight hype or any other vampire craze. Undead and Unwed was a light and easy read for me, but I enjoyed it immensely, which was a nice surprise. Betsy Taylor is a secretary who gets fired from her job and gets hit by a car while trying to save her cat. After the accident, Betsy wakes up in a coffin thinking that she has died. Miraculously, she ...more
  • Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs (Jane Jameson, #1)
  • Real Vampires Get Lucky (Glory St. Clair, #3)
  • I'm the Vampire, That's Why (Broken Heart, #1)
  • Holy Smokes (Aisling Grey: Guardian, #4)
  • Romancing the Dead (Garnet Lacey, #3)
  • Dead End Dating (Dead End Dating, #1)
  • Bit the Jackpot (Vegas Vampires, #2)
  • Lady & the Vamp (Immortality Bites, #3)
MaryJanice Davidson is an American author who writes mostly paranormal romance, but also young adult and non-fiction. She is the creator of the popular Undead series. She is both a New York Times and USA Today bestseller. She won a 2004 Romantic Times Reviewer's Choice Award and was nominated for the same award in 2005.

MaryJanice's Facebook page:

More about MaryJanice Davidson...
Undead and Unemployed (Undead, #2) Undead and Unreturnable (Undead, #4) Undead and Unappreciated (Undead, #3) Undead and Unpopular (Undead, #5) Undead and Uneasy (Undead, #6)

“Hell couldn't be worse than a WalMart after midnight, right?” 51 likes
“We have souls. Sure we do. Otherwise we'd do bad things all the time. You know, like
politicians.”