Start by marking “Norma Jean, Jumping Bean” as Want to Read:
Norma Jean, Jumping Bean

Norma Jean, Jumping Bean (Step into Reading, Step 3)

Illus. in full color. "Kangaroo child Norma Jean loves to jump. The problem is that her jumping gets out of hand, causing accidents and some ruffled feelings among her friends, and Norma stops her jumping entirely. But when the school's field-day games come up, Norma Jean is coaxed back into action long enough to win ribbons. Light, popular fare for beginning readers."--Bo ...more
Published April 21st 2010 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published April 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Norma Jean, Jumping Bean, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Norma Jean, Jumping Bean

Hope Johnson
This is a cute easy book for a student who is beginning to read. It teaches a lesson that there is a time and a place for your actions and the time and place is not always at school. It would be a great book for a guided reading book to talk about using quotations in writing.
Paula

Norma Jean, whose love of jumping might be a bit excessive, stops her favorite activity after her friends complain, but participation in the school Olympics proves there is a time and place for jumping.
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Aug 01, 2011 Randie D. Camp, M.S. rated it liked it
Shelves: early-readers
Norma Jean loves jumping but sometimes her friends do not. Norma Jean learns that she can be a jumping bean without upsetting her friends. Nice book for promoting individuality.
Emile Mirra
Sep 23, 2016 Emile Mirra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
This book follows the story of a lively kangaroo named Norma Jean who enjoys jumping any time she can. However, Norma Jean's consistent jumping gets her in trouble at school and with her friends, because she doesn't know when are appropriate times to jump (sitting in class, playing on the seesaw, etc). Throughout the book, Norma Jean learns how to be respectful of her friends, teacher, and herself by controlling her jumping.

Ages: Early readers (Kindergarten to 3rd grade)
Rated 4 out of 5 stars fo
Courtney Hendrix
Norma Jean is a kangaroo who loves to jump. She jumps so much she upsets her friends. So, she decides not to jump which makes her very sad. Her friends soon notice that she is not the same Norma Jean when she walks through the puddle instead of jumping over it. On the classes field day, her friends convince her that they wanted to old Norma Jean back just in time for her to win several ribbons for the day.

This book has several lessons. First, there is a time and place for everything. Norma Jean
Candice Snow
Oct 18, 2013 Candice Snow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I used to read this book so much when I was little that now the spine is nothing but a strip of tape.

The story follows a kangaroo named Norma Jean, who (naturally) loves to jump. However, she finds out the hard way that there is an appropriate time and place for everything.

It is a great story for kids to learn that their rambunctiousness can be best utilized by focusing it on their passions.
Emma Daugherty
Feb 08, 2015 Emma Daugherty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is great for younger readers and provides many great lessons. Children probably can enjoy and learn about diversity through all of the different animals. The story is very sweet and gives the lesson that there is a time and a place for excitement and for staying calm. This is a story I definitely would encourage young readers to read and master.
Shannon
Jul 29, 2013 Shannon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Never has there ever been such an accurate book depicting me and my life.

I support independent bookstores. You can use this link to find one near you or order NORMA JEAN, JUMPING BEAN on IndieBound: http://www.indiebound.org/book/978039...
Peggy
Jul 25, 2008 Peggy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Norma Jean has been a favorite in our house for several years - first with my oldest son and now with my youngest. This is a beginning reader book, but is an excellent picture book in it's own right. I believe it deserves classic status right along with Frog and Toad and Little Bear!
jacky
Apr 06, 2007 jacky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: early-reader
This book was a gift to me. Its an early reader about a hyper little girl kangaroo. The name of the story has stayed with me because its cute, but I don't remember the plot and I don't think it was meant to tell me to be more calm as a kid either.
Tyler Caudill
Apr 12, 2013 Tyler Caudill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any kid before 8 years old
Recommended to Tyler by: my Sister
I read this book at least 100 times when I was 4 or 5. I loved it..it teaches kids there is a time and place for what fun things you love to do, but don't let that get in the way of the responsible things you need to do in life.
Molly
I loved this book growing up. It was a cute story, with cute pictures.
Lesson: there is a time and place for things
Rachel
Jun 08, 2014 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014, stars-3
I liked it. ⭐⭐⭐
Nasreen
Feb 26, 2008 Nasreen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid
This was my very first book, given to me by my 1st grade teacher. :)
Erin
Aug 31, 2007 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memorable-reads
This was the first book I ever read!
Kristen Collins
Dec 05, 2014 Kristen Collins rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edrd
A sweet story about being yourself. I know a few kids that really could've benefitted from reading this book at a young age.
Rachel Rouleau
Four stars for nostalgic purposes. This was a childhood fave. Probably would otherwise be three.
Allie
May 06, 2008 Allie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everyone should remember the first book they read on their own and this is mine. Thank you Mrs. Wallace at Dowell Elementary!
Alyse Barker
Alyse Barker rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2014
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2012
Gregory
Gregory rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2014
Tonya
Tonya rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2013
Kristy
Kristy rated it it was ok
Nov 22, 2008
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Mar 17, 2017
Erin
Erin rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2012
Joanne
Joanne rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2013
RobesonBoys
RobesonBoys rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2010
Danielle Neldon
Danielle Neldon rated it it was ok
Apr 02, 2011
Teisha Greer
Teisha Greer rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2015
  • Titanicat
  • The Odious Ogre
  • Thy Friend, Obadiah
  • Wake Up, Sun!
Joanna Cole who also writes under the pseudonym B. J. Barnet is an author of children’s books who teaches science.

She is most famous as the author of The Magic School Bus series of children's books. Joanna Cole has written over 250 books ranging from her first book Cockroach to her famous series Magic School Bus.

Cole was born in Newark, New Jersey, and grew up in nearby East Orange. She loved scie
More about Joanna Cole...

Step into Reading, Step 3 (1 - 10 of 58 books)
  • Monster Bugs (Step into Reading, Step 3)
  • Tentacles!: Tales of the Giant Squid
  • S-S-snakes!
  • Dolphins! (Step into Reading, Step 3)
  • Arthur's Hiccups (Step-Into-Reading, Step 3)
  • Twisters! (Step-Into-Reading, Step 3)
  • Bully Trouble (Step-Into-Reading, Step 3)
  • Down on the Funny Farm (Step into Reading, Step 3)
  • The Missing Tooth