Start by marking “Fast, Fresh and Green” as Want to Read:
Fast, Fresh and Green

Fast, Fresh and Green

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  274 ratings  ·  41 reviews
This new bible for all things vegetable from Fine Cooking's Vegetable Queen is ideal for the millions of eaters who want to get the recommended five to nine servings of fruits and greens into their daily diet. Susie Middleton shares her love of healthful, delicious veggies with a guide to shopping for and cooking delectable meatless meals, including such delights as Spinac ...more
Published April 28th 2010 by Chronicle Books LLC (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Fast, Fresh and Green, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fast, Fresh and Green

Michelle
More than just recipes, Fast, Fresh & Green really breaks down the basics of how you can handle all different kinds of vegetables, including ones you may have been scared to use in the past. There is so much great information and many wonderful recipes, but the photos alone in this book would be worth the price of admission. It's absolutely gorgeous. Whether you're a pro or amateur with veggies, you *need* this handy reference book for veggies on your shelf.

I also love where Susie is coming
Julie
This is a book about how to cook vegetables. Sounds simple doesn't it?! I grew up in a household that boiled vegetables in salted water until it was mush. I love my vegetables with a 'bite' to them. Even as a seasoned cook, there are still vegetables undiscovered by me. This book is laid out with beautiful photos interleaved between the well laid out recipes (I love that the ingredient list for each recipe is in bold type) & the helpful how-to guides. Charts are included for each cooking met ...more
Jerricanary
It's like a mini cooking school for the beginner and intermediate home cook--and a pretty gallery at your finger tips: with 90+ veggie recipes that beat boredom at dinner time, hands down. When the veggie isn't the star of the meal, Susie Middleton's ideas really boost the blah and bland usual side of greens to a flavorful and exploding new reality worth cooking up (or keep it raw, she has some great recipes for that too). I keep it on display by my stove since its so handy--and beautiful to loo ...more
Alyssa
This is my favorite book to get from the library every month or two because it breaks up the chapters by cooking technique, .. Quick roasting, quick braising, etc. When you have fresh veggies from the market and want to do something simple with them, this is the perfect book. One of my favorite recipes is the quick roasted broccoli with orange dipping sauce.
Carol
Terrific! Organized by cooking techniques so good for beginners and experienced cooks who would like to improve. Really liked the "walk-away sauteing" chapter. Beautiful photos, too.
Diane

"Eat More Vegetables", is something we've heard over and over again. We know it's good for us, but sometimes the same old vegetables, fresh or not, just gets to be a bit boring, in my opinion. For me, thanks to this cookbook, that is about to change.

In part (1) of this new cookbook, readers are given the tools needed to begin preparing some wonderful sounding veggie recipes. You are told which essentials you should have in your cabinets: (25) different condiments, various sugars and dried fruits
Ticklish Owl
This book would be quite useful to a new cook or someone who is not familiar with preparing fresh vegetables. I've been cooking since I could hold a spoon, and don't normally use cookbooks, but the cover was so enticing I couldn't resist borrowing it.

The first chapter discusses stock pantry items, spices, and condiment. The second chapter covers selecting, storing, and preparing vegetables. Each of the remaining chapters focus on a technique, and contain some nice basic recipes for those not alr
AJ LeBlanc
This is not a vegetarian cookbook and most of the recipes are presented as side dishes. However, substitute the chicken broth with vegetable stock and add your favorite protein and you've got some lovely ideas.

This was a library book, but I might pick it up because it's an excellent resource on several different ways to prep veggies. Each section begins with an explanation of the technique and what veggies it works best for. There are also super useful timing guides so if you're prepping a pile
Beth
Maybe I should be good enough at cooking vegetables by now to not need this book, but GD, this has been a great book form the library. So good that I will be buying a copy. Fast, easy and even tastier than the veggies I already loved. I'll say it again: GD! :) :) :) I am eating the quick-roaster broccoli as I type this, (Naples) olive oil getting on keyboard .....
Sue
To be honest, I didn't expect much from this book. I bought it because it was a Nook deal of the day. However, this is one of the best cookbooks I've read in recent years. It is organized around the method of cooking--an unexpectedly useful way of thinking about vegetables.
Lori
Okay, so I should try a few more recipes before I rate the book, but I definitely give the Summer Vegetable Ragout with Zucchini, Green Beans, and Corn 5 stars. I've made in twice in the last two weeks and pretty much ate all of it myself. I can't get enough of the stuff. (I did sub asparagus for green beans, but other than that I didn't change anything. I'm sure it's also great with the beans.)

I'm lamenting the fact that it is only a two week check-out, as I will have to return it tomorrow and
Susie
Put this one on the to-buy list
Betsy Dion
This book was a spontaneous pick off of the library's display shelf. It is a great cookbook because it focuses on several techniques for cooking vegetables, and then gives recipes to practice each technique. I think I will renew the book so that I have more time to practice the methods. The regular potatoes and sweet potatoes that I roasted were delicious. If you want a book that will inspire you to cook more veggies and teach you new yummy ways of doing it, check this out!
Rosh
Jan 22, 2012 Rosh marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
If you like vegetables, this is the book for you.
If you don't like vegetables, this is a book for you.

Great recipes. Would like to try out all the recipes, but that will take some time. This is not a vegetarian cook book, but most of the recipes are and the rest can be changed. I loved all the recipes that I tried.
There could have been more pictures of the final dish which would be helpful.
Leigh
Normally, I wouldn't put a cookbook down as something I'm "reading". But this is more than a collection of recipes--its a series of techniques that you can use to improvise with what you have on hand or whatever just arrived in the CSA box. So, I'm going through one technique at a time and using as a cooking instruction manual more than a recipe book (there are detailed recipes included as well).
ReadingWench
Vegetarians be warned - Although this book is all about the veggie lovers, its NOT 100% vegetarian. Just be careful. For example, a savvy cook could easily subsitute Bacos for bacon. There are also great sections in the book about roast and braising, and which vegetables are best in certain recipes.

All in all I would recommend this to my vegetarian friends.
Jill
A cookbook getting five stars? Yes. I have learned almost as much about preparing and cooling and serving food in two weeks with this book as I did in a semester in culinary arts. I tweak the recipes to suit my taste and dietary quirks, but who doesn't? Recipes are meant to be an inspiration, not a ball and chain. This book is beautiful and delicious inspiration.
Theresafic
It is a cookbook, not actually a book, but I loved it it has inspired me to be more veggie- centric and try different ways of coking veggies besides my main method of the microwave.
I think this book will inspire me to cook more veggies, more creatively and have a veggie focused instead of meat focused dinner. I'm already on the hunt for a good sauté pan
Michele
I rarely buy cookbooks, but this is definitely one I would consider for my permanent collection! Lovely recipes to help you change things up a bit in the veggie department. Wonderful explanations of the different cooking methods and the benefits of each as well as what veggies work well for each one.
Nancy
Lots of good sounding stuff. But also lots of cheese, cream, butter and other yummy stuff, too. This book would probably kill me. I'd call it a special occasion veggie cookbook. Not really any main meals, mostly sides, but some dishes could double as main meals.

Tracey
I love to cook....but I've always felt like my vegetables were lame and missed the mark. After this, I have a whole new take one veggies. I now start with the veggie I want to make and plan the protein around it.....rather than the other way around. YUM!!!!
Jenna
A delicious cookbook featuring TONS of vegetable recipes (I can't wait to try the sweet potato fries with lime aioli). The author gives you simple techniques to build on and then gives you more elaborate recipes featuring the simple technique.
Mo Tipton
I've tried a handful of recipes, and all of them have been delicious. This is a great cookbook if you're a beginner in the kitchen, because Middleton gives plenty of pointers on various vegetable preparing techniques.
Aspa
Grabbed this at the library but may have to go ahead and buy it. Tons of easy ways to cook delicious veggies. I have only had it for four days and have already cooked four different recipes!
Jaq
I felt that the recipes were overwhelmed by their introductions - so many words on one page, makes it quite distracting, at least for me to read a recipe quickly.

Tamara
Good if you're looking for mostly side dish recipes with ingredients that you might not have on hand. I'm going to try the New Potato Salad with Peas, Lime & Mint.
Tarana
Amazing fresh vegetable recipes that bring out the best in the vegetable without too many spices or overpowering sauces. I love this book.
Katharine
Everything I've made has turned out great! Easy to follow and understand, it will improve your skills as a cook.
Susan
We only made two recipes out of this one, but they were so yummy! The dish on the cover we made twice, it was so good.
Beth
The recipes looked good but too much trouble and ingredients for a side dish. I didn't make a single one.
  • D.I.Y. Delicious: Recipes and Ideas for Simple Food from Scratch
  • Fix, Freeze, Feast: Prepare in Bulk and Enjoy by the Serving, More Than 125 Recipes
  • Ancient Grains for Modern Meals: Mediterranean Whole Grain Recipes for Barley, Farro, Kamut, Polenta, Wheat Berries & More
  • Kneadlessly Simple: Fabulous, Fuss-Free, No-Knead Breads
  • Gourmet Vegetarian Slow Cooker: Simple and Sophisticated Meals from Around the World
  • The 30-Minute Vegan's Taste of the East: 150 Asian-inspired recipes--from soba noodles to summer rolls
  • Get Cooking: 150 Simple Recipes to Get You Started in the Kitchen
  • Lucid Food: Cooking for an Eco-Conscious Life
  • Peter Reinhart's Artisan Breads Every Day: Fast and Easy Recipes for World-Class Breads
  • The Sprouted Kitchen: A Tastier Take on Whole Foods
  • The Food52 Cookbook: 140 Winning Recipes from Exceptional Home Cooks
  • The Lee Bros. Simple Fresh Southern: Knockout Dishes with Down-Home Flavor
  • Good to the Grain: Baking with Whole-Grain Flours
  • The 30-Day Vegan Challenge: The Ultimate Guide to Eating Cleaner, Getting Leaner, and Living Compassionately
  • Power Foods: 150 Delicious Recipes with the 38 Healthiest Ingredients
  • Bobby Flay's Throwdown!: More Than 100 Recipes from Food Network's Ultimate Cooking Challenge
  • At Home with Madhur Jaffrey: Simple, Delectable Dishes from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka
  • Mark Bittman's Kitchen Express: 404 Inspired Seasonal Dishes You Can Make in 20 Minutes or Less
Fresh from the Farm: A Year of Recipes and Stories The Fresh & Green Table: Delicious Ideas for Bringing Vegetables into Every Meal