Start by marking “The Articles of Faith: A Series of Lectures on the Principle Doctrines of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints” as Want to Read:

4.43 of 5 stars 4.43  ·  rating details  ·  5,120 ratings  ·  94 reviews
This is a reproduction of a book published before 1923. This book may have occasional imperfections such as missing or blurred pages, poor pictures, errant marks, etc. that were either part of the original artifact, or were introduced by the scanning process. We believe this work is culturally important, and despite the imperfections, have elected to bring it back into pri ...more
Published January 12th 2010 by Nabu Press (first published 1899)

To ask other readers questions about The Articles of Faith, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Articles of Faith

Chanel Earl
I bought a copy of this book when I was about seven years old. I bought it because I had been learning about the Articles of Faith in church and thought that the book would be like my Sunday School lessons. It wasn't.

I only made through about page four, and still have some sections highlighted (very crookedly) because they were all I could understand as a child. It took me about 16 years to actually read the book, but I am glad I did. It was excellent.
Vince Wilson
Jun 13, 2007 Vince Wilson rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
A wonderful treatment of the LDS Articles of Faith. It discusses at length each line in each article with doctrinal analysis and commentary. Amazingly informative, intuitive, easy to understand and digest, but also very penetrating. Outlines at length with amazing understanding and detail most of the basic and many of the deep doctrines of the LDS faith.
Nicole
Dealings with ignorant people are my greatest pet peeve. There have been many occasions where people have judged me by my outward appearance. They take one look at the wheelchair, and automatically assume that I am mentally challenged. It really bothers me when people make any decision based on their narrow experiences. Likewise, it bothers me to have my religion scrutinized by ignorant on-lookers. This book contains critical analysis of the Thirteen Articles of Faith which contain the basic fun ...more
Anita
I am again amazed at the knowledge of this man. He is a deep thinker and for the most part, with careful reading and help from a study group, you can follow him. There are a few sections where the 100 years since its writing show their age, but it holds up incredibly well. This is not for the faint of heart, but like most things that require effort, the reward is great.
Samuel
Although I still need to read the Appendices (the notes in Jesus the Christ contain some of the best writing), I have come to the end of the text proper in Talmage's ARTICLES OF FAITH and will put it down for a while to return later. Using the 13 "Articles of Faith" articulated by Joseph Smith in 1841 to expound and explain the entirety of Mormon doctrine, Talmage does a successful job of articulating the main tenets of belief and practice held by Mormons writing in the early twentieth century-- ...more
David
Captain’s Log 7/13/8: I’ve just completed Chapter 24 ~ completed page 474 (Counting notes and appendices—which are significant and helpful, by the way)

Today, I was taught by the author about the importance of submitting to the Law of the Land. In situations where the Laws of the Lands conflict with the Laws of God, we do submit to “Caesar” under the continual supplication of direction of God. This is very difficult to do, but the Latter-Day Saints have repeatedly done this in practice (witness
Cindy
Talmage takes each of the LDS Church's Articles of Faith and goes through the doctrine behind each one. The book was based on a series of lectures Talmage gave while teaching. The Church then asked if Talmage would collect these into a book, which was first published in 1910, I think.

My biggest problems with the book were first, that it wasn't clear who the intended audience was. If it was for members of the church like myself, then the basic doctrines don't need so much explanation. I know who
Michele
Finally done! It nearly killed me. I think this was my third time through and I had a hard time getting into it. I love the Jesus the Christ series, so it may have been me. Of course, there are some mind blowing quotes so here we go.

89 These would embrace...more than one half of the human family who can attribute their salvation only to the mediation and atonement of the Savior.
Is that true? That one-half don't make it here? Wow! I had no idea! So many voices silenced and unable to prove themse
Bryan Tanner
This was the final book I read of the four that make up the Missionary Reference Library. Honestly, I read it pretty quickly. I should probably go back and read it again. The text expands on Joseph Smith's Articles of Faith. It discusses in greater detail the nature of LDS core beliefs. (No Talmage work is very good when read directly following Jesus the Christ.)
Roxie
This book really opened up my understanding. I have always loved the articles of faith, Probably because they speak truth to my soul. I learned a lot about the articles of faith. I was impressed and wish I would have opened this book along time ago. This will not be my last time searching through this excellent resource.
Erin
I didn't quite like this book as much as Jesus the Christ. It really isn't the type of book to sit down and read from cover to cover. It is better as a reference book. One that you would pick up as you are preparing a talk or trying to find the answer to a question you have. It would also be a great book to use as a study guide for personal scripture study. At times, I found myself reading a section and thinking, "I already know that". Still a great book. Every adult member of The Church of Jesu ...more
Ryan Smout
This essentially reads like a filled-out Topical Guide. It's a compilation of scriptural references that demonstrate why the LDS church believes some of the fundamental things it does. It had occasional outstanding insights (like the section on worship on the first couple pages of chapter 22), but I felt like I had to slog through a lot of it since the doctrines and scriptures are already quite familiar to me having grown up in the church. I think Talmage's Jesus the Christ is a far superior wor ...more
Natalie
I kind of feel guilty not giving a church book 5 stars, but here's what I think: you will learn a lot by reading this book, and your testimony & understanding of the Gospel will increase. But I spotted at least 2 or 3 things that are outdated, and I bet there are more. That is probably why it is not part of the official "Missionary Library" anymore. But it was when I was a missionary, and I never read the whole thing back then, so 19 or whatever years later, I feel much better having read it ...more
Yeshua
May 27, 2012 Yeshua rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Yeshua by: Mormon Missionaries
Shelves: religon
The book is not for the general reader.

It explains in great detail, the beliefs and practices, of the L.D.S. movement, founded through Joseph Smith Jr (1805-1844).

James E. Talmage uses many archaic word and sentence structures, unfamiliar to todays audience.

Though some of the doctrines, have changed with the times, Anti Semitic views (subtly) are expressed.

I advise the use of the dictionary, for unfamiliar words, and a discussion with L.D.S. missionaries.
Heather
Great book, but kind of heavy and dense. Brandon and I read this aloud together, and I must confess that it was very difficult not to have my mind wander! The language and the topics take a lot of concentration. BUT, if you are reading it to learn and not to be entertained (which is its point, anyway!), it really is excellent. I think someday I'll read it again on my own and only try to do a couple paragraphs at a time. I'm sure I'd get more out of it that way.
Katrina
Jan 16, 2009 Katrina marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Articles of Faith is considered one of the classics in Latter-day Saint literature. It is the outgrowth of a series of lectures in theology given by Dr. James E. Talmage, commencing in 1893. At that time Dr. Talmage was serving as president of the LDS College in Salt Lake City. The First Presidency of the Church invited Dr. Talmage to prepare a text for use in Church schools and religion classes. (Deseret Book)
Julie
It's a little bit heavy of a read (Talmage is the only author I can think of that actually uses words I don't know and his prose is drippingly scholarly) but I really like his style, and I appreciate how he can discuss a lot of varied doctrine just within the context of the articles of faith. I read this the first time on my mission, and started keeping an index card of words to look up. One of then was "pleonasm".
-uht!
If you're interested in how you can be an intelligent and lucid thinker and also believe a completely crazy religion, Talmage is your man. When I was a part of the cult, this guy really spoke to me. And now that I'm out, I can see how teaching an intelligent person crazy things will get their brain spinning and working and expanding the craziness in a unique way.
Liesel
This is undoubtedly a heavy book. The book is based on a series of lectures Talmage gave while teaching and takes each of the Article's of Faith and goes through the doctrine of each one. It has a very classic scholarly approach, which makes sense as he was the President of the University of Utah. That makes it a more difficult read, but a quality one.
Shelley
Finally finished (including all the notes in the appendix). A challenging read (Talmage usually is), but worth it. Great information, explanations, and insights. I really appreciated how it helped me expand my understanding of the articles. Will have to re-read down the road.
Vicki
Such a good book and such a good way to read it in a study group with much discussion and time to think about things! I didn't enjoy it as much as Jesus the Christ, but still really recommend it. It is good to have some meat in with the escapist literature sometimes.
Kylie Briggs
I'm taking one star off because I was looking for something much simpler (this was my first Talmage book). This was way more in depth than I had been planning to go on the subject of the articles of faith. But there were some interesting points in it I had never thought of.
Brian Black
There were some very interesting quotes and points Elder Talmage makes about baptism, the gathering of Israel, the Second Coming, lost books, and many more things. He is a great scholar and provides a very intellectual and sometimes scientific view into the gospel.
Jon
I read this one on my mission, just like Jesus the Christ. I'll admit this one was a bit harder to read. It just came across as so bland. But if you read it in the right frame of mind, or in the right spirit, it is of course very enlightening and very powerful.
Liz
Feb 01, 2008 Liz rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone wanting to know more about the LDS church's beliefs
Shelves: religious-books
This is a good book for someone that wants to know the fundamental beliefs of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. The first LDS prophet, Joseph Smith, wrote 13 "Articles of Faith" that show our basic religious beliefs and this book simply expands them.
Dan
A wonderful scripturally founded treatise on the doctrines and practices of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I recommend this book to all members of the church and to all others interested in learning about the church, what we believe, and why.
Dixon
I found that if i wanted to highlight this book then the whole book would have been highlighted. I think almost every sentence in the book was powerful. This book described the whole religion and all its parts in detail so that nothing would be left to question.
Keri
I started this book thinking I was going to read it all the way through, but found that was a little more than my mind wanted to tackle all at once. I will use it as a reference book as I study rather than trying to use it as my study text - one article at a time.
Jeremy Griggs
This book was an interesting read, but a little boring for my taste. Of course it contains a lot of doctrine, but nothing revelatory here. I was hoping for some more explanation on the 10th article of faith, but it was a little thin on that point.
Carol

This book is a primer for anyone who really wants to understand the basics of the Latter-Day Saint (Mormon) faith. This book was written in 1893 by James Talmage. This was the early book for all who wanted to know what Mormons really believe
  • Marvelous Work and a Wonder
  • Christ and the New Covenant: The Messianic Message of the Book of Mormon
  • All These Things Shall Give Thee Experience
  • Faith Precedes the Miracle
  • Joseph Smith the Prophet
  • Discourses of Brigham Young: Second President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
  • Gospel Doctrine: Sermons and Writings of President Joseph F. Smith (Classics in Mormon Literature)
James Edward Talmage was a member of the Council of the Twelve Apostles, and a resident of Salt Lake City, Utah. He was born Sunday Sept. 21, 1862, at Hungerford, Berkshire, England, the son of James Joyce Talmage and his wife, Susannah Preater. He is the first son and second child in a family of eight. He was baptized and confirmed a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints at th ...more
More about James E. Talmage...
Jesus the Christ The Great Apostasy The House of the Lord: A Study of Holy Sanctuaries Ancient and Modern Missionary Reference Library, Four Volume Set (new compilation) The Story of Mormonism

“Belief, in one of its accepted senses, may consist in a merely intellectual assent, while faith implies such confidence and conviction as will impel to action.” 10 likes