Start by marking “The Oracle (The Gateway Chronicles #2)” as Want to Read:
The Oracle (The Gateway Chronicles #2)

The Oracle (The Gateway Chronicles #2)

A year ago Darcy Pennington had no real friends. A year ago she'd thought that magic only existed in fairy tales. A year ago she would have laughed at the idea of other worlds. Then everything changed when she'd visited Cedar Cove Family Camp and stumbled into a magical gateway to a world called Alitheia. It is the summer before freshman year and Darcy and her five friends ...more
Published November 8th 2010 by Createspace

To ask other readers questions about The Oracle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Oracle

Mary Grace
Aug 19, 2012 Mary Grace rated it really liked it
The Oracle follows the next chapter of the six chosen to fulfill the prophecy. Darcy, Amelia, Sam, Lewis, Perry & Dean travels back to Alithea to continue their adventure in the hope of accomplishing the prophesied future for both the group and Alithea.

What’s new in The Oracle? The second book in the Gateway Chronicles was as exciting as The Six and I thoroughly enjoyed every single page. It was engaging, captivating and beautifully written. I also applause Hoyle for writing both The Six and
Glass
Review is posted on my blog Ja čitam, a ti? as a part of blog tour for TWCS.

I've read first book in The Gateway Chronicles two moths ago - The Six took me by suprise. I felt like a child again. And then TWCS asked me if I wanted to review second book in the series. My answer - "YES!" Cindy, you rock!:)

The Oracle is set a year after everything that happened in the the first novel. It did started a bit slow, although that first scene with Darcy's dream was really good start. I don't want to spoil
Literary Classics Book Awards & Reviews
One day while hiking a young girl discovers a portal to another world, the magical land of Alithia. She soon learns of a prophecy claiming that she and five others are destined to save this mystical place. At first the six are unsure of their part in this ancient prophecy. But eventually they learn to work together as a team, united in their efforts to fulfill their destiny and save this enchanted land.

Author K.B. Hoyle pens scenes that pop with vibrant details, making the world of Alitheia vivi
Ny
Aug 16, 2012 Ny rated it really liked it
Check out more reviews at http://msbookqueen.com

Received via netgalley
I'm really enjoying the progress that this series is making so far. Darcy is really growing as a character and becoming a more likable one. Even though Darcy is still relatively young, you can see her mindset becoming more mature. I think that the interaction between Darcy and Tellius is interesting to watch progress and grow. While Tellius and Darcy are still set firm on not marrying each other, you can see their dislike grow
Sherry Gomes
The Oracle is the second book in the Gateway Chronicles, following The Six. It's the next year, and Darcy and the other five kids, now fourteen, meet again at family summer camp and head back to the gateway to return to the land they found the year before. We meet new friends and get reacquainted with old. Darcy Perry and Dean must take a journey that has much of the second half of the book with a group separated from the other three.

I loved this book, almost as much as I loved the first one. I
Kathie (katmom)
Jul 30, 2012 Kathie (katmom) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous!

This is the second book in the GATEWAY Chronicles and it is available NOW. And what a ride!

Quite the roller coaster...little moments of calm, separated with WILD adventures.

Darcy thinks there's a way to find out if she HAS to marry Tellius, and she jumps at the chance for information. Just what IS the Oracle? It's a long journey to get there and what is the cost?

Loved this adventure...

Yahto Veli continues to be my favorite character!

Read and decide who your favorite Nark is...
Angela
Mar 01, 2014 Angela rated it it was amazing
I am absolutely loving this series! It is refreshing to read a YA fantasy novel that is completely clean! Definitely purchasing this series for my middle school classroom. I do wish YA publishers would take note that there is no need to push their profanity filled novels at the public. A good book doesn't need it!
Donna Huber
This was as good as the first book. It also was very sad. See my full review at http://www.girl-who-reads.com/2011/02...
Megan
Jul 30, 2012 Megan rated it really liked it
So this is the second book in K.B. Hoyle’s series The Gateway Chronicles, and since I read the first one in April I have been waiting for this to read! In the first book, I had a little trouble adjusting to the ages of the main characters; because they were only like 13 years old… and well I haven’t been 13 in HAH well 13 years! But once I started reading the first one I absolutely loved it. So when I got an email to see if I would be interested in reading The Oracle I didn’t even hesitate! I ...more
Stacy Sabala
Oct 11, 2013 Stacy Sabala rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
Book Review- The Oracle by K.B. Hoyle

This is the second book in the Gateway Series. Darcy is going back again to the camp where she met her five friends and they travelled to the other world full of magic. She is anxious to go and see how things have changed. She is ready to see her friends and enjoy her time in Alithesia. She still worries about her hand, the Tselloch and what it means for her.
She is a year older and wiser. She, Sam and Lewis remained close friends through the school year. The
Rel8tivity
Nov 19, 2014 Rel8tivity rated it it was amazing

If you were 14, and you were told you had to marry somebody, AND you had no say in the matter, what would you do? Try to figure a way out of it, of course. That's not an easy task, when the prophecy that binds you to that person was handed down by the world's deity.

Yet, that's just what Darcy Pennington is faced with. We learn in the first book of The Gateway Chronicles that the prophecy that brought the six friends to Alitheia, also foretells that Darcy is The Intended of the king. But intended
Shaheen
Jul 30, 2012 Shaheen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
The Oracle begins with Darcy's incredible impatience as her family prepares to return to Cedar Cove Family Camp, and immediately the difference in Darcy is clear. While last year she had dreaded the camp and didn't have a nice thing to say about it at all, this year she is brimming with excitement. What follows is a magical year in the world of Alitheia, where Darcy and her five friends work together to unravel the mysteries that bind them together. The book chronicles an epic adventure for the ...more
Angelya (Tea in the Treetops)
Review originally posted at The Oaken Bookcase, June 15 2012.

The first book in the Gateway Chronicles, The Six, was re-released earlier this year and the story of The Oracle picks up a year later. The Six are now fourteen and they and their families are about to head back to Cedar Cove for another summer holiday. Hoyle has done a great job at gently reminding the reader of previous events, without bogging the story down with a long-winded retelling.

Once the teenagers arrive at Cedar Creek it’s a
Suzy Wilson
The second novel in the Gateway Chronicles, THE ORACLE continues to lay the foundations for the story-arc. In the first book (THE SIX), we met Darcy, Sam, Amelia, Perry, Lewis and Dean - six humans prophesied to save Alitheia, a land with parallels to a Earth, from the evil Tselloch and his minions.

In THE ORACLE, Darcy continues to struggle with her role in Alitheia's emancipation. Following a year spent in their normal lives, the six companions embark again into their other world and resume the
A.B. Shepherd
Sep 11, 2013 A.B. Shepherd rated it it was amazing
The Oracle begins a year after the ending of The Six. The school year has gone by and Darcy and the gang are back at Cedar Cover Family Camp in Michigan's beautiful U.P. (that's Upper Peninsula for you non-Michiganians - I hate the term Michigander!).

This time Darcy's main concern is being fated to marry the Prince who happens to be younger than she, and not exactly cool in her opinion. He's even got zits! And he's not keen to be fated to marry her either. So when he finds a possible way out Da
Courtney
Aug 20, 2013 Courtney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. Darcy makes a selfish decision and ends up asking a question of the oracle and as a result has to go on an extended journey to have it answered. In this book you see a lot of Darcy, Perry, and Dean. Amelia, Sam, and Lewis are not part of the journey to visit the Oracle. I hope in the next book Darcy grows up a little, and stops making decisions that benefit her, or get her into trouble. Twice now she's done something just for herself and everyone else has to rescue her in a ...more
Andrea (mrsaubergine)
This series just gets better and better! It's a year later - two years in Alitheia - so Darcy and her friends are a little bit more mature, and have spent their year at home anxiously waiting their trip through the gateway. Once again, though, Darcy's inquisitiveness becomes her downfall, and she unwittingly begins a turn of events which are shocking and left me panting for the third book. There are deaths, a dragon, centaurs and quite a bit of magic, and something horrendous happens which I ...more
Bradley Mcguffey
Oct 14, 2013 Bradley Mcguffey rated it really liked it
K.B. Hoyle really stepped it up in this second book. The story gets more interesting and the main character has really grown up. As intended, I still have issues with her attitude and decisions at times, but she's not so off-putting as to be a deterrent to reading the book. This series has started to get very interesting. The Nark race that was created in this series (sorry to those kids who thought they and Santa Clause were actually real) are a touch of fantasy genus.
Megan Smith
Dec 01, 2014 Megan Smith rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-fiction
I love the series, but I'm always frustrated with Darcy. She has to keep things to herself and hide stuff from her friends - and it usually ends badly! Maybe it's the perfectionist in me, but I don't like reading about people who make stupid, avoidable mistakes.

Still, I really am enjoying the series and look forward to the remaining books.
Annelies
Feb 10, 2015 Annelies rated it really liked it
What a roller coaster of a ride! I won't give away too many details, but this is a book that will tap into all your emotions and I can see many YA relate and commiserate with the main characters and their struggles.
I was a bit disappointed to see the book had already ended, so I'm quickly picking up the next one so I can read on! Lots of mystery left to discover :)
Excalibur Snape
May 20, 2016 Excalibur Snape rated it really liked it
This serise just keeps getting better and better.
The world is brilliant.
It's so fast pace that once you start reading it you can't put it down.
The writing is fantastic. I can't wait to read more by this author.
Can't wait to finish this serise.
Bill Tillman
Book two of this delightful series finds Darcy back at Cedar Grove Family Camp and ready to step into an alternate universe once again. Darcy is one of the SIX, a prophecy about saving the world of Alitheia. Great series, can't wait for next book!
Sherrie
Loves this book! It should be in all elementary school libraries! The first book "The Six" started me on this wonderful adventure and The Oracle was just as amazing. Can't wait to read all the series.
Wendy Kautz
Jan 12, 2015 Wendy Kautz rated it really liked it
This is when the series really started to pick up for me, especially in the second half of the book. Quite intriguing.
Witchypoo
Nov 12, 2014 Witchypoo rated it it was amazing
Great, 2nd in series and can't wait for the next series. Darcy and gang are one very brave bunch of kids. I know these books are about children and a fantasy world, but loved it.
Carol
Jul 30, 2012 Carol rated it liked it
not as good as the first, but some of the quest adventures may be more interesting to the young adult reader. I am ordering the third book.
Kim Marvin
Oct 08, 2013 Kim Marvin rated it it was amazing
Whole series is great. I've read them all multiple times and am about to start them again in anticipation of book 5.
Tara
Tara rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2013
Nicole
Nicole rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2014
Nonubuisness
Nonubuisness rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
K. B. Hoyle is an author, a public speaker, a creative writing instructor, and a classical history teacher who uses her knowledge of the ancient and medieval worlds to pen speculative fiction for readers of all ages. She stays busy at her home in Alabama with her husband and their four young sons.

She is a Readers' Favorite 5-Star reviewed author and a multiple recipient of the Literary Classics Se
More about K.B. Hoyle...

The Gateway Chronicles (6 books)
  • The Six (The Gateway Chronicles #1)
  • The White Thread (The Gateway Chronicles #3)
  • The Enchanted (The Gateway Chronicles #4)
  • The Scroll (The Gateway Chronicles #5)
  • The Bone Whistle (The Gateway Chronicles, #6)