The Listerdale Mystery

The Listerdale Mystery

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  1,284 ratings  ·  65 reviews
Twelve tantalising cases...the curious disappearance of Lord Listerdale; a newlywed's fear of her ex-fiance; a strange encounter on atrain; a domestic murder investigation; a mild man's sudden personality change; a retired inspector's hunt for a murderess; a young woman's impersonation of a duchess; a necklace hidden in a basket of cherries; a mystery writer's arrest for m...more
Published 1994 (first published June 1st 1934)

RebeccaS
This is a great collection of short mysteries. It is filled with misunderstandings, secrets, intrigue and even some espionage. It seems to focus on extraordinary things happened to ordinary people, which I really loved. I think the Listerdale mystery was my favorite story in this bunch and had the best and quite surprising ending. I also loved the story with the "Marquess". Even though Miss Marple and Poirot were absent, these were great stories by AC. She has a wonderful talent for short story...more
Carolyn
Apr 29, 2009 Carolyn rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Brit mystery fans
Shelves: audio
I do like that the stories were unpredictable - you don't know what kind of crime or mystery will be committed (unlike most of Christie's novels about murder), and you don't know whose perspective you're getting - the criminal, the sleuth, the hero - without Poirot or Miss Marple to set the stage. It's like a collection of short puzzles - not all super strong, but all fun.
Jen
Nice collection of mystery short stories, some with romantic elements, mostly with predictable endings. My favorites: Philomel Cottage, Jane in Search of a Job and the last one, Swan Song.
Flora
Without spoiling anything, there is a trend in how several of these stories end...
Bella
Aaaaah yeees my first Spanish book, I'm so proud :D

And what makes me the happiest is that I highly enjoyed this book! I've always wanted to read an Agatha Christie book, and this was the perfect choice!

Every story was enticing and there were some parts where I actually gasped! Agatha's way of writing is beautiful and it makes you feel like you're inside the mystery! I've never read anything like it, I enjoyed it sooo much.

This book is basically a compilation of 10 short stories, all written b...more
Abbey
THE LISTERDALE MYSTERY, Agatha Christie
1934, sweet, slightly mysterious stories from Christie, most originally published in magazines in 1920s; very old-fashioned style, but still gently entertaining. Three-and-one-half-stars.

[date= when first published]

1924 02 The Girl in the Train
— sweet spy tale mixed with large dollops of Wodehousian attitude

1924 08 Mr. Eastwood's Adventure apa Mystery of the Second Cucumber,
apa Mystery of the Spanish Shawl
— the author as detective - fun look at the writin...more
Patty
I often forget that Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple did not populate all of Dame Christie's books. This should not be difficult for me - I owned a small book called A Star Over Christmas. This book's author was Agatha Christie Mallowen. It took me years to make the connection between my favorite Christmas book and the Grande Dame of mysteries, but those stories were nothing like her mysteries.

Nevertheless, I picked up these twelve stories expecting Captain Hastings (Hugh Fraser) to be reading abo...more
Izzatur Rahmaniyah
I didn't really enjoy the stories actually. The ending was easy to be guessed. Some cases were also similar with the others. However, some short stories are so sweet and surprising. I like the story about the princess from oh sorry I forgot the place. Yeah... overall this book is worthy enough to be read in leisure time. It's not really tense to read with a cup of tea :3
BrokenTune [Disclaimer: My opinion is not paid for by Amazon.]
Review first posted on BookLikes: http://brokentune.booklikes.com/post/...

1.5 stars - rounded up.

Well, it's Christie, but unfortunately not at her best. I was looking forward to intricate plots and an abundance of red herrings but this collection of short stories just didn't come up with any memorable stories or twists.
Tali
I didn't realise upon first picking up this book that it was actually a short story collection rather than a full-length novel, but seeing as I'd enjoyed several of Christie's other short stories I wasn't too upset. Unfortunately these short stories weren't particularly memorable or exciting. In many of the stories the plot seemed curtailed by the length allocated to it and there was a distinct lack of warmth in any of the characters too that meant that I struggled to engage with any of their si...more
Sammy
Some rather meaningless little nuggets of mystery in this collection; I’m sure the current Marple TV series will eventually get around to adapting them – since their aim is just to keep going until Miss Marple investigates every case ever written by Agatha Christie. Maybe she’ll go up against the Hound of the Baskervilles when they’re done.

You’ll notice I haven’t really written anything about this book; I guess I just didn’t find it interesting. Some of these stories were adapted as part of "The...more
Vesna Todorović
A collection of short stories written in a similar style, yet despite some common motifs enjoyable.
Loyola University Chicago Libraries
Believe it or not, this is the first time I've read Agatha Christie, and I was not disappointed. This book of short stories is old-fashioned in the best sense of the word: classic, simple, almost entirely devoid of overt violence and sexuality, yet thrilling all the same. Some of the stories are more compelling than others, and the amount of danger and intrigue ranges greatly. All are worth a read, if only for the perfect pacing that Christie employs.
Elizabeth
Mazel
Ces douze nouvelles n'appartiennent pas à proprement parler à la littérature policière mais toutes traitent avec brio de situations étranges, ou évoluent autour d'un meurtre.

Chacune, dans sa brièveté, est une comédie complète ou un drame, et aucune ne ressemble aux autres, sinon que la plupart, quel que soit le mystère qu'elles distillent, se terminent pas un éclat de rire.

Ce recueil a déjà été publié sous le titre Douze Nouvelles.

Stig
I am normally a great fan of Christie's, but this collection is not quite up to her usual standard. The stories are entertaining enough, but not really believable (well, most detective stories aren't anyway), and most of the heroes don't seem to have too many marbles to move around. Still, good fun, and extra points to Christie for naming one of her heroes James Bond twenty years before Ian Fleming.
Mark
For a reader who likes reading Agatha Christie's works since his teenage years, this collection of short stories feels a bit disappointing. Probably because it has not enough suspense, being short stories and all. However, any first time reader will be fascinated with the fact that Miss Christie had created a character name James Bond, almost 50 years before Ian Fleming!
mellyana
i was surprised to see that I actually haven't read this one. i thought i read all of her book (but the last one, i still unable to read the book in which poirot is dead).

you'll find some of the stories somewhat similar with some of her books. the plot. the character. the motive.

however, i still like this book. it's much lighter than some of her books.
Hanna
Mielestäni dekkari vaatii aina murhan ja kahdestatoista novellista muutama oli oikeastaan sellaisia, jotka noteerasin hyviksi ja ainoa, jossa tapahtui vakavampaa rikosta oli viimeinen. Se myös nousi mielestäni kokoelman parhaimmaksi novelliksi ja siinä oli eniten "potkua". Hahmot myös jäivät hyvinkin yksiulotteisiksi lyhyissä tarinoissaan.
Faa
Eventhough all 12 stories in this book did not staged by Poirot, Miss Marple or even Tommy & Tuppence, the stories were still antonishing and good.
I like the twist and turn in every stories and how simple the crime were actually committed in it.
My favorite would be The Listerdale Mystery, Philomel Cottage and The Rajah's Emerald.
Katharine Tapley
Sep 24, 2010 Katharine Tapley rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christie fans.
It's a decent sampling of Christie's short stuff. It's the right kind of thing to pick up when you feel like you want to read something, and be entertained, but not make a huge time commitment. The first story "The Listerdale Mystery" is my favorite out of the bunch because it's a little bit mystery and a charming wee romance.
Joy
Enjoyable, with a high percentage of extreme or absurd plot twists, one or two of the stories are sticking with me and I'm thinking about them much more than I expected to. For some reason this collection feels very personal: I feel I get a bit of an idea of what went on in Dame Agatha's mind, much more than in her novels.
Janet Jay
These are short stories and to me, the buildup takes so long and the "payoff" is tossed so quickly in the last couple of sentences that it wasn't worth my while, especially one after another. These weren't *bad,* but they felt like the embryos of stories AC couldn't turn into novels.
Bigyellowtaxi1
A nice collection of short mysteries, each with a twist. Most are adventure stories rather than traditional sleuthing, which tend to be my favourite Agatha Christie stories (think along the lines of Why Didn't They Ask Evans? or The Secret Adversary).
Gary
I love Agatha Christie's work and have read almost everything she has ever done. That said this book was below her normal high standard. Certainly wouldn't be high on my list of her novels and if you are just starting out reading her books start elsewhere.
Matthew Hodge
A collection of Christie non-detective short stories from the 1930s. At best they're mildly absorbing but the fluffiness and unrealistic situations eventually becomes tiring. The final story "Swan Song" would be a bit of fun if you were an opera buff.
Linn
The book is a collection of a number of short crime and detective or puzzling kind of stories one of which is the Listerdale Mystery.The stories are kind of okay and fun and different too.

Its not a must pick or anything i would suggest to anyone.
Iblena
Siempre he disfrutado de las historias de intriga y misterio de Agatha Christie, pero sus relatos románticos nunca han sido de mi gusto…Dos estrellitas para el Canto Del Cisne que es una verdadera joya al mejor estilo de la “Tía Agatha”
Denise
These stories don't have Poirot or Miss Marple in them. They are a little different, what I think of as the "Twilight Zone" type of mystery. Agatha Christie wrote a variety types of mysteries including supernatural and the macabre.
Barb
Overall, this book of Agatha Christie short stories was enjoyable. There were no real surprises in any of the stories, however a couple of them are memorable. If you're a Christie fan, you will enjoy this book.
Agatha Christie L...: April 2012 - The Listerdale Mystery 18 45 Apr 24, 2012 05:04PM
  • The Rose and the Yew Tree
  • Agatha Christie
  • Miss Silver Deals With Death (Miss Silver, #6)
  • The Floating Admiral
  • Light Thickens (Roderick Alleyn, #32)
  • The Case of the Late Pig (Albert Campion Mystery #8)
  • The Confessions of Arsène Lupin (Arsène Lupin, #6)
  • Agatha Christie: A Biography
  • Duchess of Death: The Unauthorized Biography of Agatha Christie

Agatha Mary Clarissa Miller was born in Torquay, Devon, England, U.K., as the youngest of three. The Millers had two other children: Margaret Frary Miller (1879–1950), called Madge, who was eleven years Agatha's senior, and Louis Montant Miller (1880...more
More about Agatha Christie...
And Then There Were None Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10) The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot #1) Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple, #1) Death on the Nile (Hercule Poirot, #17)

“A murderer is seldom content with one crime.” 1 likes
“I should like to knock their silly heads together. What is the sense of laughing all the time? They are not saying anything funny.” 1 likes