Start by marking “The Listerdale Mystery” as Want to Read:
The Listerdale Mystery

The Listerdale Mystery

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  1,433 ratings  ·  82 reviews
Twelve tantalising cases...the curious disappearance of Lord Listerdale; a newlywed's fear of her ex-fiance; a strange encounter on atrain; a domestic murder investigation; a mild man's sudden personality change; a retired inspector's hunt for a murderess; a young woman's impersonation of a duchess; a necklace hidden in a basket of cherries; a mystery writer's arrest for m ...more
Published 1994 (first published 1929)

Flora
Without spoiling anything, there is a trend in how several of these stories end...
RebeccaS
This is a great collection of short mysteries. It is filled with misunderstandings, secrets, intrigue and even some espionage. It seems to focus on extraordinary things happened to ordinary people, which I really loved. I think the Listerdale mystery was my favorite story in this bunch and had the best and quite surprising ending. I also loved the story with the "Marquess". Even though Miss Marple and Poirot were absent, these were great stories by AC. She has a wonderful talent for short story ...more
Carolyn
Apr 29, 2009 Carolyn rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Brit mystery fans
Shelves: audio
I do like that the stories were unpredictable - you don't know what kind of crime or mystery will be committed (unlike most of Christie's novels about murder), and you don't know whose perspective you're getting - the criminal, the sleuth, the hero - without Poirot or Miss Marple to set the stage. It's like a collection of short puzzles - not all super strong, but all fun.
Jen
Nice collection of mystery short stories, some with romantic elements, mostly with predictable endings. My favorites: Philomel Cottage, Jane in Search of a Job and the last one, Swan Song.
Dua'
تعجبني اغاثا في كتاباتها ..
حقا اتسائل من اين لها هذه القدرة في الكتابة .. لغويا وعقليا من جميع النواحي ..
تباغتك بأفكارها بشتى الطرق .. احببتها جدا :)
هدير
حلو الى حد ما قصص جميلة أفضلهم الضحية العاشرة لكنى أعتقد أن روايات أجاثا الكبيرة أكثر تشويقا ..
Alejandro
Que no engañe las tres estrellas que le doy a este libro (en realidad merece más), la forma en que lo califico no corresponde a la diversión que me proporciono, la cual es mucha y de todos sabores y colores. Es una lastima que yo prefiera el sabor a sangre y locura en dosis insanas y mortíferas.

Esta obra de Agatha reúne varios cuentos cortos de corte policiaco, misterio, aventura y más misterio, todo ello aderezado de misterio con chispas de misterio y cubierta de misterio liquido. Es así como d
Bella
Aaaaah yeees my first Spanish book, I'm so proud :D

And what makes me the happiest is that I highly enjoyed this book! I've always wanted to read an Agatha Christie book, and this was the perfect choice!

Every story was enticing and there were some parts where I actually gasped! Agatha's way of writing is beautiful and it makes you feel like you're inside the mystery! I've never read anything like it, I enjoyed it sooo much.

This book is basically a compilation of 10 short stories, all written b
Abbey
THE LISTERDALE MYSTERY, Agatha Christie
1934, sweet, slightly mysterious stories from Christie, most originally published in magazines in 1920s; very old-fashioned style, but still gently entertaining. Three-and-one-half-stars.

[date= when first published]

1924 02 The Girl in the Train
— sweet spy tale mixed with large dollops of Wodehousian attitude

1924 08 Mr. Eastwood's Adventure apa Mystery of the Second Cucumber,
apa Mystery of the Spanish Shawl
— the author as detective - fun look at the writin
Patty
I often forget that Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple did not populate all of Dame Christie's books. This should not be difficult for me - I owned a small book called A Star Over Christmas. This book's author was Agatha Christie Mallowen. It took me years to make the connection between my favorite Christmas book and the Grande Dame of mysteries, but those stories were nothing like her mysteries.

Nevertheless, I picked up these twelve stories expecting Captain Hastings (Hugh Fraser) to be reading abo
Ibis3
A collection of light, fluffy crime stories by Dame Agatha. Most of them end with a marriage proposal from one practical stranger to another. The one story ("Philomel Cottage") that has been adapted into a play and subsequent movie is a bit darker. (view spoiler) ...more
Izzatur Rahmaniyah
I didn't really enjoy the stories actually. The ending was easy to be guessed. Some cases were also similar with the others. However, some short stories are so sweet and surprising. I like the story about the princess from oh sorry I forgot the place. Yeah... overall this book is worthy enough to be read in leisure time. It's not really tense to read with a cup of tea :3
BrokenTune
Review first posted on BookLikes: http://brokentune.booklikes.com/post/...

1.5 stars - rounded up.

Well, it's Christie, but unfortunately not at her best. I was looking forward to intricate plots and an abundance of red herrings but this collection of short stories just didn't come up with any memorable stories or twists.
Peter
Kidnapping, betrayal, murder, and general insouciance - what makes this collection intriguing is that it's more like a sketchbook of unfinished ideas than a final product. Also, even though Christie never uses the expressions "con man" or "confidence trickster," you can hear echoes of her work in in David Mamet's doublecrosses decades later.
Tali
I didn't realise upon first picking up this book that it was actually a short story collection rather than a full-length novel, but seeing as I'd enjoyed several of Christie's other short stories I wasn't too upset. Unfortunately these short stories weren't particularly memorable or exciting. In many of the stories the plot seemed curtailed by the length allocated to it and there was a distinct lack of warmth in any of the characters too that meant that I struggled to engage with any of their si ...more
Shivangi Tiwari
Short stories seldom impress me, and this collection is not too great either. It's an attempt at the compression of all the wit Christie gently offers in full novels, and only some of the stories were really interesting. I liked the first two, but the rest were only okay.
Liza
When I read so many short stories at once, I always get the feeling that I wish they last longer. Which is absurd, because one of the elements I enjoy very much was the inmediacy of each one of them. I just wanted to read more about those fictional characters. More and more.
Sammy
Some rather meaningless little nuggets of mystery in this collection; I’m sure the current Marple TV series will eventually get around to adapting them – since their aim is just to keep going until Miss Marple investigates every case ever written by Agatha Christie. Maybe she’ll go up against the Hound of the Baskervilles when they’re done.

You’ll notice I haven’t really written anything about this book; I guess I just didn’t find it interesting. Some of these stories were adapted as part of "The
Arzu Bokhari
Some of the short stories were phenomenal, others a bit of a letdown. I would single out Philomel College as the best short story in the collection.
Alekth
I don't even know why this exists. The best of them read like the worst from Tales of the Unexpected.
Alan
A weak offering of 12 minor assorted tales. For Christie completeists only.
Vesna Todorović
A collection of short stories written in a similar style, yet despite some common motifs enjoyable.
Helle
Maybe I am actually starting to develop a fondness for short story collections. Or maybe Agatha Christie is just that good. Either way, I found The Listerdale Mystery highly entertaining, with twelve really amusing short stories, none of which were disappointing. All twelve were well written, with different grades of mystery. Most stories had a nice touch of humor or irony as well.
Loyola University Chicago Libraries
Believe it or not, this is the first time I've read Agatha Christie, and I was not disappointed. This book of short stories is old-fashioned in the best sense of the word: classic, simple, almost entirely devoid of overt violence and sexuality, yet thrilling all the same. Some of the stories are more compelling than others, and the amount of danger and intrigue ranges greatly. All are worth a read, if only for the perfect pacing that Christie employs.
Elizabeth
Mazel
Ces douze nouvelles n'appartiennent pas à proprement parler à la littérature policière mais toutes traitent avec brio de situations étranges, ou évoluent autour d'un meurtre.

Chacune, dans sa brièveté, est une comédie complète ou un drame, et aucune ne ressemble aux autres, sinon que la plupart, quel que soit le mystère qu'elles distillent, se terminent pas un éclat de rire.

Ce recueil a déjà été publié sous le titre Douze Nouvelles.

Stig
I am normally a great fan of Christie's, but this collection is not quite up to her usual standard. The stories are entertaining enough, but not really believable (well, most detective stories aren't anyway), and most of the heroes don't seem to have too many marbles to move around. Still, good fun, and extra points to Christie for naming one of her heroes James Bond twenty years before Ian Fleming.
Mark
For a reader who likes reading Agatha Christie's works since his teenage years, this collection of short stories feels a bit disappointing. Probably because it has not enough suspense, being short stories and all. However, any first time reader will be fascinated with the fact that Miss Christie had created a character name James Bond, almost 50 years before Ian Fleming!
Agatha Christie L...: April 2012 - The Listerdale Mystery 18 45 Apr 24, 2012 05:04PM
  • The Rose and the Yew Tree
  • Agatha Christie
  • The Case Is Closed (Miss Silver, #2)
  • Look to the Lady (Albert Campion Mystery #3)
  • Death at the Bar (Roderick Alleyn, #9)
  • The Floating Admiral
  • The Saltmarsh Murders (Mrs. Bradley, #4)
  • Agatha Christie: A Biography
  • Second Cadfael Omnibus: St.Peter's Fair/Leper of St.Giles/Virgin in the Ice
  • The Confessions of Arsène Lupin (Arsène Lupin, #6)
  • The Unfinished Clue
  • The Eye of Osiris

Agatha Mary Clarissa Miller was born in Torquay, Devon, England, U.K., as the youngest of three. The Millers had two other children: Margaret Frary Miller (1879–1950), called Madge, who was eleven years Agatha's senior, and Louis Montant Miller (1880
More about Agatha Christie...
And Then There Were None Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10) The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot #1) Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple, #1) The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)

“A murderer is seldom content with one crime.” 1 likes
“I should like to knock their silly heads together. What is the sense of laughing all the time? They are not saying anything funny.” 1 likes