Start by marking “The Hostage (Presidential Agent, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Hostage (Presidential Agent, #2)

The Hostage (The Presidential Agent #2)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  5,798 ratings  ·  93 reviews
The second novel in W.E.B. Griffin's new bestselling series finds Presidential Agent Charley Castillo investigating the death of an American diplomat in Argentina, the kidnapping of the diplomat's wife, and a scandal tying the United Nations to Iraq.
Published December 26th 2006 by Jove Books (first published January 3rd 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Hostage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hostage

JBradford
I mentioned a while back that Close Combat was the first Griffin novel I had read; that turns out not to be the case. As I read through this one, I was bothered by a sense of déjà vu; I recognized many of the characters, knew their names, their relationships, the locale, etc., but not all—in fact, what bothered me most was thinking that I had read some of this book but not all of it, as there clearly were events that seemed completely new to me. The answer turned out to be that this book is a pr ...more
Jerome
Horrible writing style albeit old fashioned. Snail-crawling storyline, textbook-like sentences, every page was a tormenting, lot of italic paragraphs that were supposed to be the thoughts of all those moronic characters in this book. none of the characters looked realistic and capable. This book was more about logistics ("Get me a plane. Get me a cell phone. Get me a cellphone charger. Get me a car. Get me a parking space.") and all the assorted chatter that goes along with getting the logistics ...more
Will
Jun 07, 2013 Will rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Action/thriller fans
Shelves: military-action
Chip Atkinson
This is a great spy novel.

The author captures the inner workings of the US security and military bureaucracies with clever character building and a great deal of respect for the degree of difficulty officers are forced to operate within. The theme is fascinating. The President, a Tarheel like me, Is well aware of the problem with agencies not used to cooperating with one another, rivalries, power grabs, egos, ectetera. He has discovered a talented young major he can use to cut through rival bure
Jeanne
Not quite as good as "Presidential Agent #1"; however, quite exciting at times. At 15 disks, this audio book was quite lengthy and personally some of the excess could have been removed and not really change the story. The return of Howard Kennedy and Alexander Pevsner keep things interesting in an offbeat way. I also liked Betty Schneider and Jack Britain's return as secret service agents, working with C G Castillo . . . and the blossoming relation between Charley and Betty. The ending did not h ...more
Practical Mike
Author is pretty good... not perfect, as I was left scratching my head as we're moving towards the big finish and we side track to a recipe/cooking scenario (it makes sense in context with the story) and then the author uses the word "then" like 17 times in four paragraphs.

It was tre awkward... it read like a hobo sounds when he's telling the cops the details of a wha-had-happened scenario... "...then officer the guy went through the door and then he picked up the gun. And then I was like, "Hey
David
Although this book became boring and the pace somehow managed to drag a bit, I found it an interesting novel. First, I found it to be a credible thriller and a decent and realistic spy novel. There were historical factoids dropped like booms from a b52 that were extremely interesting. Conspiracy theorists might also enjoy a few of the tidbits. Of course, there were a few times when I ha to suspend my disbelief slightly. The action sequences are a bit shorter than I would like. There was an awful ...more
Patrick
I borrowed The Hostage, book two in Griffin's Presidential Agent series of techo-thrillers, because I'd never read a story set in a post-9/11 world that followed the adventures of an operative for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. The operative in this case is one Charley Castillo, an Army major and Green Beret of German and "Texican" background whom Griffin introduced to popular literature in By Order of the President.

Sent to Argentina to find out what he can about the kidnapping of an
Paul
Something about this story seems unfinished, probably because the main operation did not go down as designed. The storyline seems a bit disjointed.
It is well written and proofed, and long with detail.
The author seems a bit hung up on Madsen machine guns, placing them in almost every location he can, despite their unwieldiness. A Madsen in a hospital, for example? Really? He also seems to take artistic license with some gear, with incorrect specs.
3.5
Andrew
didn't enjoy this book at all despite the fact that this seems to be a popular author and one whom others regard.
I found the book full of cliches and characters who in truth I would happily have seen add to the body count inherent in a book such as this...a case in point is the righteous honest 'nam serving president who keeps in regular contact with the special agent doing his bidding throughout the book..a paper thin 'boys isn't president who could only spill from a book such as this.
the love
Joe
This is a very exciting book, hard to put down and easy to read. Unfortunately he wraps up the ending too quickly, almost like he gets tired of the story. It's still good though, and it leaves you waiting for the next in the series. It's a very long book, almost 800 pages, but not difficult to read and it goes fast.
The characters are similar to those in his previous books, although through some of my experience I now have a little bit of a different impression of them. There are certain parts (
Ralph McEwen
Though I dislike 700 page paperbacks, I found Hostage to be a really good read. The story is pretty fast paced and has a interesting plot. This story is complex but told in a manner that explains itself. The characters are not covered very deeply, which is a good thing or else this would have been a 900 page book. I appreciated the lack of in-depth details about the firearms, ammunition, cars, trucks and planes use throughout the story. I liked how events seen as unrelated can caused interaction ...more
Sherry Wilson
I really enjoyed this book, the 2nd in the Presidential Agent series. It's fast paced and loaded to action. The main character is inventive and never hesitates to think outside the box. This is the second reading of the series. This is an author that I enjoy reading more than once.
Vinay Badri
Continuing his adventure, Charley is now bonafide Presidential Agent. Sounding more and more like Jack Ryan, this book taps into the UN Oil for Money fraud. Adding more depth and backstory, this is another interesting read
Chet Mclin
W.E.B. Griffin's books always have that "this is how you do it and this is how it's done" cache. A good book in a good series. Most enjoyable cast of characters or band of brothers & sisters! Nice airplane reading.
Michael
This is the first book that I have read from Mr. Griffin. With his background in military communities, he draws from his experience to create a contemporary storyline that keeps the reader on the edge of their seat until the end.

Charley Castillo is an agent for the Department of Homeland security, when something happens on assignment in Argentina. Recalled back home, Castillo is asked by the Pesident to find out who killed the US Ambassador to Argentina. Castillo and his team find out a detailed
Lizabeth Tucker
When an American diplomat's wife is kidnapped in Argentina, the President sends Charley Castillo to snoop around. Things go from bad to worse when the diplomat is himself murdered, the recovered wife is keeping secrets, and Charley's lady love is shot.

This is the second in Griffin's Presidential Agent series and can be found in the Mystery/Suspense section of your local book store or library.

Another engrossing read once Charley arrives on the scene. We run into some old friends as well as adver
George
Book 2 of 8....exciting chase around three continents...almost believable. Makes you wonder if this book was fashioned after an actual US Army special operator. However, there are some errors; the author believes that backwater South America is in CENTCOM's AOR when in actuality it's in SOUTHCOM's. They're both headquartered in Florida. I also wondered if interagency cooperation at that level (Army, Secret Service, FBI and State) wouldn't require so much paperwork and DC meetings so that the ope ...more
Bonnie
This book was really a guilty pleasure since at times the language was objectionable, which I realized going in would be the case, having read other books by this author. I did like it quite a bit better than the first book in this series since the main character had settled on one romantic interest. The bad language wasn't nearly as prevalent, either.

I got totally involved in the story, that of the murder of a U.S. diplomat in Argentina. The setting in Argentina also made it more interesting a
Vinoth
This is the 2nd Book in the The Presidential Agent Series.But i haven't read the first one.The one thing i loved in this book was that the lead character C G Castillo is not portrayed as one man army as is the case with many of the novels of this genre .He has doubts ,overlooks things ,forgets things.I did feel the novel was dragging at times.and more importantly the novel is not action packed, otherwise it was a good read.About 40-50 pages before the end , i was sure that there is not gonna be ...more
Jefft
Very good follow-up to the first book of this series. I highly recommend it.
Patti
Enjoyed this even better than the first.
David
Second Griffin book I read. Great and interesting details in explaining the scenes and sequence of events. Rather weak on the 'main story (i.e. about the people behind the Oil for Food)'. In fact, the you don't get to the guy they've been looking for until the last 60 pages of the book. And the title 'The Hostage' is pretty misleading as there really isn't much of 'hostage' situation in the book. Maybe Griffin wrote this book to further set up his main characters for this series.
Mike Tueros
Another solid effort - but there simply isn't enough action. Nothing like Vince Flynn or even Brad Thor - the characters are compelling though. This one focused too much on the developing relationship between Castillo and Schneider - and the writing was child-like and annoying. Aside from that - a 750 page book that forces you to read the next in the series (The Hunters) to get closure on the oil-for-food situation. I'm in for the third - reluctantly...
Jim Tunnessen
Just a formulaic canned book
Dick
This was the 2nd in the "Presidential Agent" series by WEB Griffin. I enjoyed it. It is an action series but gets into character development more than alot of action stories. Griffin is very much into the military details. This story focuses on the main character now getting involved in a diplomat's wife taken hostage and getting into the development of find those behind it and "rendering harmless".
KarenC
Jan 31, 2011 KarenC rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to KarenC by: series
I was looking for a real conclusion to the first book in the series, but the book is plotted to keep you going with the series, as much as to solve the case. Too many pages spent on flying from here to there and not really getting to the action parts, unless you consider flying around aimlessly action. The stereotyping and poorly developed backup characters are starting to be annoying.
Brent Benbow
I enjoyed the 99% of the story, but it seems like the big finish would take up more than 2 pages in a 750 page book. I felt the ending seemed rushed and was disappointing.
Brian
Book 2 in the The Presidential Agent Series.

It's hard for me to write individual reviews for Griffin as each book plays out more like chapters in on-going saga than stand-alone novels, which is great if you enjoy immersing yourself in the characters and the events, which I do.

Bottom line is that if you enjoy Griffin's work, you will enjoy this read.
  • America (Jake Grafton, #9)
  • Cold Choices (Jerry Mitchell, #2)
  • Fatal Terrain (Patrick McLanahan, #6)
  • Line of Control (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #8)
  • To The Death (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #10)
  • The Ten Thousand (Scott Dixon, #4)
  • Rough Justice (Sean Dillion, #15)
  • Extreme Measures (Mitch Rapp, #11)
W.E.B. Griffin is one of several pseudonyms for William E. Butterworth III.

From the Authors Website:

W.E.B. Griffin is the #1 best-selling author of more than fifty epic novels in seven series, all of which have made The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Publishers Weekly, and other best-seller lists. More than fifty million of the books are in print in more than ten languages, including Heb
More about W.E.B. Griffin...

The Presidential Agent (8 books)
  • By Order of the President (Presidential Agent, #1)
  • The Hunters (Presidential Agent, #3)
  • The Shooters (The Presidential Agent, #4)
  • Black Ops (Presidential Agent, #5)
  • The Outlaws
  • Covert Warriors (Presidential Agent, #7)
  • Hazardous Duty (Presidential Agent, #8)
Semper Fi (The Corps, #1) By Order of the President (Presidential Agent, #1) The Lieutenants (Brotherhood of War, #1) The Berets (Brotherhood of War, #5) Call To Arms (The Corps, #2)

“myself as an officer and a” 0 likes