Eyes of a Child

Eyes of a Child (Christopher Paget #3)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  2,539 ratings  ·  98 reviews
A man has been found dead, a gun still wedged in his mouth. It looks like Ricardo Arias killed himself…but the physical evidence tells a different story. The police investigation turns up all sorts of troubling data—a bitter estrangement between Ricardo and his wife, Terri; an ugly custody battle over their six-year-old daughter, Elena; charges of child molestation. And be...more
Published November 2nd 2010 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published January 1st 1995)

David
This was an excellent and well-written book. It WAS NOT a great mystery. Believe me, even Forrest Gump could have followed the trail the author left here.. HOWEVER...

Patterson explores a terrifying custody battle between a woman and her narcisstic/sociopathic husband. His charming personality appears to be convincing everyone (mental health professionals, court liasons, etc) he is nothing but a doting, loving, concerned father. Meanwhile, he is torturing his wife with his accusations, etc. At le...more
Kristy Trauzzi
Apr 04, 2010 Kristy Trauzzi rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like mysteries
This book was neat. I have read the true crime novels and you didn't get a lot of background info on the individual person. It was point by point the details of how the crime went down. And the cases. And no back ground info. This book gave you a good back ground story on their characters. You got to feel for them. You got to figure out their history and their lives and everything good. THEN you heard about the trial. Of course, it's not real so things that happened wouldn't be allowed in real c...more
Linda Gosslin
The third in a series featuring Christopher Paget, this is an excellent read. Christopher's associate, Teri Peralta, leaves her manipulative and abusive husband. Child custody issues arise and suspicions of child molestation begin to infuse the story. As Teri and Christopher begin a relationship, complications seem to destroy their chances of creating a stable family for their children. Christopher's fifteen year old son Carlos becomes a central figure in the accusations and suspicions. Richie,...more
Jeremy Owen
Long-ish but rewarding if you stick with it . Really absorbing story with a good mix of likeable and loathsome characters .

Paget is battling the establishment when he dares to put himself forward for the political world .His enemies jump at the chance to stitch him up when he has some success with the start of his campaign but misjudge the loyalties of the legal profession who consider Christopher one of their own .

Some serious mud-slinging sticks and a major court case ensues gripping the read...more
Deb Stephens
This author puts Grisham to shame... so many twists and turns. Great story teller & this is one fantastic book.
Susan
Nov 01, 2011 Susan rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Susan by: Keith Douthett
Shelves: fiction
Not particularly hard to guess who the murderer is or what happened to cause them to murder the person. I guessed this from very very early on in the book actually and though my dad was surprised that I could guess this so easily, and that he couldn't I thought it wasn't really trying to convince you away from that conclusion.

My dad however did make the comment that he thought "wouldn't an author try to lead you towards assuming it was someone obvious and so shouldn't you guess that there actual...more
Betsy
by chapter 3 I knew Who I suspected 'did it'. What made this book enjoyable reading is that it delivered, mystery,suspense, court room trial, unique but highly believable characters, Mothers POV Dad POV, and as the title implys an excellent Child's POV, a slime ball Husband POV, and a Grandmothers POV. While it may seem like too many POV's as the reader you don't actually realize all these POV's are there...till you have finished the book and then you realize the gift Richard North Patterson has...more
Molly
This book was too long - for me at least, considering I figured out the whole "who dunnit" part just about half-way through. So then I had to muddle my way through all the hint dropping the rest of the way. I lost interest but made it through. Because of this disinterest, I had lots of time to notice things like the author's love for the word "elliptical."

This is a crime/court thriller set in San Francisco focused on an ugly custody battle that ends in a suicide. Of course, no one really believe...more
aPriL meows 'n growls TLDR
I'm still trying to figure what the title had to do with how the story plays out. Elena, the child, witnesses and experiences horrible things, but her age - 6 years old - has most of the adults making pretzels out of themselves to contain her experiences and shape her life into normalcy, so much so she primarily is either given a chapter or two showing us bad dreams about a dog, or she is living a normal life while the adults wonder why she is a bit sad. Until all is revealed at the end the read...more
Joy
Ricardo Arias is found dead, the gun still wedged in his mouth. It looks like suicide, but the physical evidence strongly suggests murder. The police investigation uncovers an estranged wife, Terri Peralta; an ugly custody battle over their six-year-old daughter, Elena; heated charges of child abuse; and a murder suspect: San Francisco defense attorney Christopher Paget.

Paget has motive--it's his son accused of abusing Elena, his political plans for the future put at risk by the dead man's accus...more
I don't quite remember it as well as I should. It's been a while, but I remember it being painfully relatable. It's a great book written by a stellar author.
Ricardo
Very good book, well-written, interesting and well-developed characters, and a nice twist at the end
Harold Trader
One of the best books I have ever read. Recommend it highly. Have read most of r n patterson's books.
Angel Terrado
For a trial lawyer like Christopher Paget nothing is much harder than to be the one prosecuted on court. He was alleged of killing his girlfriend's ex-husband, Ricardo Arias. Excellent legal techniques were showcased in this novel. Richard North Patterson showed his exquisite writing ability in this legal thriller. Every one will sure to be hooked until the end. Very gripping, it will keep you holding your chairs for such heart-thumping revelations. The book was intelligently-written, perfect f...more
Stephanie
Real love is when people make a commitment to family and carry it out, even through the bad times.

Men have more answers than women have questions.

Whoever first conceived of a broken heart, must have loved a child.

Just tell people the truth, it's less confusing.

We can never really look into anyone else's heart. Even when we think we know everything about them.

You can't look for how you should feel about yourself in the faces of other people. You have to have your own standards, both for how you a...more
Teeliles
The sequel to Degree of Guilt (recently read and reviewed), this is a very enjoyable and intelligent legal thriller. The characters come to life, and the courtroom drama is very compelling and realistic; it's obvious that the author is an attorney! Except when necessary to keep the plot moving, he gets the details just right. I've rated it so highly in part because I read it several years ago, remember 'whodunit', and was still engaged up to the last page! If you enjoy the genre, I think you'll...more
Stephanie
Oct 30, 2009 Stephanie rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who's not in too much of a hurry
This was a somewhat better-written murder mystery than some of the dribble I recently entertained myself with during one of the myriad trips I've taken back and forth across the Atlantic this year. Topics include murder, blackmail, spousal abuse, child abuse, etc., and the psychological impact of all these issues on both the child and adult characters in the book. The ending, however, was quite predictable, so - in retrospect - this story could have been shorter and still would have had the same...more
Mark
The 3rd in the Christopher Paget series...I enjoyed the 1st two and some of RNP's stand-alones...we catch up to Paget following Degree of Guilt...Paget's associate, Teri Peralta, leaves her manipulative and abusive husband and couples with Paget...child custody issues arise and suspicions of child molestation begin to infuse the story as Paget's fifteen year old son Carlos becomes a central figure in the accusations by Peralta's ex...good suspenseful read with characters you like!!!
Gretchen
Got this from my husband--I was in the hospital--he went to the gift shop to buy me a book--his name was Richard Patterson--so as a joke he bought me this book. I liked it --it was a good mystery and characters developed well-I bought several more by this author and wasn't disappointed--I like the way he uses his characters from novel to novel ( not all his works are like this) but you don't have to read them in any order--each stands alone.
Sarah Jowett
I don't understand it but some of this author's books are fabulous ("The Final Judgment" and "The Spire") and some I can't even get through the first chapter because they are written so poorly or I don't care a damn about the characters or the story.

This one, unfortunately, is the latter: I don't care about the characters, except the child and I am only finishing it to see who did it and why, everything else I could do without.
Diane
This book had more language and sex in it than I usually handle, but it wasn't constant, and once you get to the real meat of the book it eases up a lot. I kept reading though because the story is really interesting, and you are just dying to figure out what really happened and how it will all end up. Its sort of a court room drama. I liked the twists in the story, and that I was constantly thinking trying to figure out what happened.
Juliet
Oct 24, 2008 Juliet rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
this is definitely my favorite legal thriller novel ever. i've read this about five times. it made me want to be a lawyer (almost) but the deaver novels made me want to do forensics (even before csi came out) but i didn't do law or forensics. instead i did criminology (which i still attribute to either this book and the bone collector). wrong choice. should have just done forensics!

but read this! you won't regret it.
Linda
Who killed Ricardo Rias? At least four people certainly had cause. The could-be killers step lightly around one another. How can Rias' wife give her heart wholly to Paget, and vice versa, when the evidence points to Paget. Paget, knowing he did not kill Rias, must find the killer before he, Paget, is tried for murder. Good read. Plot involves the same characters as those in DEGREE OF GUILT.
Sue Flogel
This book is a great read, but it was very easy to figure out "whodunit".
Julie
I forgot what an excellent writer Richard North Patterson is. His books are written so intelligently and weave suspense so beautifully that you get completely caught up in their world. I may have to go back and re-read his other novels that include these characters because it's been so long that I don't remember what happened and I am completely hooked again.
They all lived happily ever after.

I have a hard time believing that juries in real life are as quick to acquit as they are in the books and movies. I imagine this book would be how if John Grisham had written a story that had appeared on 48 Hours. Courtroom dramas do keep me turning the pages no matter how typically they are written.
Helle
Once again Richard North Patterson kept me glued to the pages. I still don’t like the Christopher Paget books as much as Kerry Kilcannon, but if you like legal thrillers this is a must-read.
Gabby
Richard North Patterson is one of my favorite authors. This was the first book I read by him years ago, and I wanted to reread it because I liked it so much the first time. I love big books, long stories, mysteries, and courtroom drama. Patterson delivers all of that in one package/novel every time I've read him.
  • The 13th Juror (Dismas Hardy, #4)
  • The Laws Of Our Fathers (Kindle County, #4)
  • The Judge (Paul Madriani #4)
  • Suspicion of Betrayal (Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana #4)
  • The Unbidden Truth (Barbara Holloway #8)
  • Presumption of Death (Nina Reilly, #9)
  • Nameless (Less Series, #2)
  • After Dark
Richard North Patterson is the author of fourteen previous bestselling and critically acclaimed novels. Formerly a trial lawyer, Patterson served as the SEC’s liaison to the Watergate special prosecutor and has served on the boards of several Washington advocacy groups dealing with gun violence, political reform, and women’s rights. He lives in San Francisco and on Martha’s Vineyard.
Macmillan.com...more
More about Richard North Patterson...
Degree of Guilt (Christopher Paget, #2) Silent Witness (Tony Lord #2) The Final Judgment Exile Protect and Defend (Kerry Kilcannon, #2)