Start by marking “The Deceiver” as Want to Read:
The Deceiver

The Deceiver

3.94  ·  Rating Details ·  7,099 Ratings  ·  108 Reviews
Sam McCready is The Deceiver, one of the Secret Intelligence Service's most unorthodox and most valued operatives, a legend in his own time. The end of the cold war has, however, strengthened the hand of the Whitehall mandarins, to whom he seems about as controllable as Genhis Khan, so Sam is to have his fate decided at a special hearing.

As part of the proceedings, four of
Published September 3rd 1992 by Corgi (first published September 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Deceiver, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Deceiver

Stefan
Jul 14, 2008 Stefan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Deceiver was a interesting, gripping, exciting, rational, readable read that felt realistic and possible. The main character was described as a complicated, flawed, and experienced intelligence agent. The four stories included in the book could all be read pretty much separately from one another as the book is not really a novel but a collection of short stories. This is definitely one of my favorite thriller reads. Recommended.
Bill Wilson
Mar 24, 2013 Bill Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes you just realize when you are in the hands of someone who really knows what they're doing. I have tried a number of spy and suspense authors with varying results, but picking this book up at the library recently and reading it reminded me what it's like to be entertained by a master. Day of the Jackal was terrific, and this book, while more low-key nevertheless satisfied the reasons you read spy novels. Unfolding as a retrospective of a spy's career told in the context of an internal a ...more
Vince
Jul 24, 2016 Vince rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Leuk weer eens een spionageroman te lezen. En vrij luchtig geschreven boek, om de vorm van een raamvertelling, eindtijd van de koude oorlog en daarmee dit soort boeken markerend. Het laatste deel lijkt haast een episode uit Death in paradise
Amit Shetty
Sep 28, 2013 Amit Shetty rated it really liked it
A brilliant novel with a beautiful ending. Forsyth shows how it should be done. A great tribute to people like Sam McCready who spent their lives in the shadows to ensure that the people in the light were never harmed. A highly recommended read.
Arun Divakar
The protagonist Sam McCready is an unconventional one. Details are sketchy as I read this a few years back. I do remember three separate plot lines being laid bare before a committee for one man's defense. Worth a read for the Cold War espionage plays.
بهمن بهمن
Jun 06, 2007 بهمن بهمن rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
az in nevisande va ketbaye charndesh aslan khosham nemiad
Robbie
Jul 20, 2012 Robbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a really cool book, lots of intrigue and action, but also stories within the main story! Really great!
Jose Puttanani
Mar 18, 2017 Jose Puttanani rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book disappointed me. Firstly it is a collection of short stories. Secondly, the narrative lacks the cohesion to enthuse the readers.
Dr.J.G.
Feb 05, 2016 Dr.J.G. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had seen one part of this work on television and we then were not aware it was based on a Forsyth book, else we probably would have bought and read it earlier. Reading that part of it, I became aware of the similarities and finally it was clear the very intelligent and intriguing episode we had watched - at that time I don't know if we thought it was a film, but cable tv was comparatively primitive then - was a Frederick Forsyth work; if we had, the amazingly intelligent quality would have see ...more
Rupesh Goenka
Feb 27, 2017 Rupesh Goenka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The novel is based on various espionage encounters of the British Secret Service agent, Sam Mcready during his tenure in Special Intelligence Service. The four key operations by him form the core plot of this fantastic thriller. MASTER STORYTELLER.
Christian Scala
Jan 12, 2011 Christian Scala rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spionaggio
Il simulatore, in originale "The Deceiver", uscito nel 1991, è un libro di Frederick Forsyth che è uno scrittore britannico, noto come autore di spy-story come "Il giorno dello sciacallo", "I mastini della guerra", "Dossier Odessa", "Il pugno di Dio" e "Il quarto protocollo".

Siamo negli anni Novanta, la guerra fredda sembra ormai relegata agli archivi storici e mentre il mondo sta cambiando ai responsabili dello spionaggio internazionale tocca affrontare nuove sfide. Alcune di di esse sono il te
Silvana
Dec 07, 2007 Silvana rated it it was ok
Mr. Forsyth is one of my fave authors in his genre, besides Mr. Clancy of course. He's not relying too much on technology, but more to suspense, spy works, and his orientation is not to the Yankees, but to the Brits. That's why you'll find that in several of his novels he provide quite extensive description on the Secret Intelligence Service (MI6), SAS (the best special force in the world next to Delta Force & Sayeret Matkal), Century House (now Vauxhall Cross) and Foreign Office politics, e ...more
el_quijote
Dec 20, 2012 el_quijote rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Frederick Forsyth is a very good bare bones storyteller about spies and all the intricacies of cold war espionage. He makes you believe he has access to the clandestine world of the British secret service and puts you right in the middle of all the intrigue.

Just as in his blockbuster novel, The Day of the Jackal, the author creates interesting characters, both good and bad that you can root either for or against in a world that is black and white. But what do you do when Gorbachev and his polic
Rajan
This is one of a comparatively weak books of FF. Even then i wanted to give it 2.5 stars GR doesn't provide option to give points in fractions. I think they should add it. This book has three or four different stories having same protagonist. The point was to highlight the contributions made by MC Cardy towards British intelligence. FF hero Mc Cardy is a typical hollywood style hero who doesn't always play by the rules. But all his actions are for the country and he gets the results. (view spoil ...more
Scott Holstad
Oct 16, 2014 Scott Holstad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What happens to a British Cold War spy when the Cold War evaporates? That's the story behind this book. Sam McCready is set up by his superiors as someone they view as no longer necessary with no Iron Curtain, and they seek his resignation. He demands and gets a hearing and the book is then split into four novellas -- McCready's role in the handover of a top secret document from a Soviet spy in East Germany; an alleged KGB defector to the US, leading to tension between the CIA and the Brits; ter ...more
Jim Barrett
Dec 12, 2014 Jim Barrett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As others have noted, this is a series of 4 short stories highlighting the career of the main character, British Spy Sam McCready. And there is an overarching story related to an appeal hearing to the forced early retirement of said character connecting them via an intro, intermissions and a conclusion. The short stories themselves are all well done and engrossing. I could have done without the retirement connecting device however. It really is more of a McGuffin. And the hearing set up doesn't ...more
Muzaffer
Jan 02, 2014 Muzaffer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Forsyth makes you want Cold War to start again. You'll watch a great spy movie while you read. He is that good. Every detail makes difference.

Frederick Forsyth'ın yazdığı soğuk savaş romanları gibisi yok. Okurken sabır ve dikkat istiyor. Sizi sürekli olayın içersinde tutuyor ve ortamla ilgili detaylar vererek kafanızın içinde birinci sınıf bir casus filmi izlemenizi sağlıyor.

Bu kitap aslında tam roman sayılmaz. Aynı baş karakterin rol aldığı dört olay birbirlerine İngiltere'nin ünlü casuslar ev
Bob Conner
Jan 07, 2015 Bob Conner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're reading these "reviews," you'll no doubt notice that I say the same thing about all of Forsyth's works.

I devour every book he writes; there's simply nothing better in the world of intrigue, in my opinion.

Once you read one of Forsyth's books, you'll read them all. I began reading his work in the 1980's and haven't stopped. This guy gets you into his stories and doesn't let you go.

Forsyth's writings are an accurate representation of "eat or be eaten" and that coupled with his knowledge o
Sailen Dutta
Mar 04, 2012 Sailen Dutta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is worth reading just for the story "The Price of the Bride". However, this doesn't imply that the other stories are boring. Quite the opposite in fact. All the stories are exciting and definite page turners, but the story that I liked the most was the one I mentioned above. It really is difficult to distinguish between a defector and a 'plant', a disinformation agent....unless you have someone high up in the enemy ranks spying for you...and also when you happen to be Sam McCready - Th ...more
Deborah
Dec 08, 2014 Deborah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Forsyth insieme a Le Carre' e' uno dei miei scrittori di spionaggio preferiti perche' e ' molto ben informato sulla storia e anche nei suoi racconti di fantasia si imparano un sacco di cose interessanti. Inoltre sa far anche ridere con situazioni paradossali, ma realistiche. Qui si trovano quattro episodi storico-spionistici diversi in luoghi e circostanze diverse, dove per trovare una soluzione e uscirne fuori interi ci vuole coraggio si, ma anche "plenty of common sense", come il protagonista ...more
B. Asher
Sep 02, 2011 B. Asher rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really do like Frederick Forsyth but I was somewhat disappointed with this book. It is not really a stand alone novel but turned out to be a number of individual stories strung together as flashbacks. The stories are all related, using the same main character, but I had expected and wanted a single story.

Nonetheless, the book is enjoyable and Forsyth is able to keep each story moving in his usual way. This is a typical spy novel with the main character being a British spy who specializes in di
Gunnar von Koch
Nov 30, 2014 Gunnar von Koch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Forsyth finds a new angle

Set up as a play, Forsyth allows different glimpses into world of secret intelligence. His attention to detail is amazing, and sometimes suffocating, but I at least always found enough air to force myself to the next page. Any book which keeps you completely hooked until physical exhaustion intervenes deserves five stars, and this was the effect The Deceiver had on me. The fact that the Deceiver's termination was a done deal only amplified that politics always trumps rea
Jason Bean
Sep 11, 2011 Jason Bean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What starts off as a typical story, of an experienced spy being vindicated after the Cold War ends up breaking into four novellas, each taking place during the main character's career. This was the first book by Fredrick Forsyth I read after 'Day of the Jackal'. It's completely different in tone than his other books, and being over 20 years old feels dated now, but 'The Deceiver' is still an above-average take on the Cold War spy novel.
Wilde Sky
Apr 15, 2013 Wilde Sky rated it really liked it
A senior man in the British secret service, Sam McCready, is seen as being no longer required and is being gently pushed out of the service. He appeals against the decision and four of his old cases are reviewed as part of the hearing.

The four short stories are all well written. The first two (‘Pride and Extreme Prejudice’ and ‘The Price of the Bride’) are definitely the better stories.

Worth reading if you enjoy espionage stories / thrillers.
Howard Brittain
The usual, to be expected, spy stuff from Forsyth with an added element, as McCready is forced to defend his position on the edge of possible retirement.
I enjoy Forsyth's better stories, but always find myself having to suffer through the swathes of unnecessarily length backstory to every character, every building, every town, every sock that every character wears ... you get the point :-)
I have reached the point now where I skip a lot ;)
Jim Puskas
Of all of Forsyth's books, this one is the most spy-centred. It is set in one of his most favorite time periods, the very late stages of the Cold War, when the "old guard" of field hardened agents are being replaced by politically opportunistic bureaucrats, a breed that Forsyth holds in obvious contempt. Not up to the calibre of "Avenger" or "The Fourth Protocol" but an entertaining read for anyone who enjoys a good spy novel.
George Hahn
Sep 21, 2016 George Hahn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is basically a series of novellas about a British spy, strung together by a hearing in which his career is defended against bureaucrats who think his time is past. The stories are great examples of this genre. I would advise against reading the book jacket blurb because it does contain minor spoilers. Forsyth has been one of the major thriller writers for years, and this is, in my opinion, one of his better ones.
David
Sep 08, 2012 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 different stories with the same great character. You may like one more than the others, but the greatest thing for me is the end of all the plot. I mean, here you will listen the story of four missions that a great agent realized. But the important is how he knew that even the cold war was ending and that he will be probably retired, a darker and more dangerous period was coming. And in that point, Frederick Forsyth was completly right.
Joanne
Nov 07, 2012 Joanne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: keep
These novels are predictable stuff; spies and crimes. Kim Philby the guy in a set of them. There is an engineered kplit, characters a mile wide and an inch deep, and a style of writing that just 'reports' activities. All plot...makes well into a screenplay for movie. the lst ne I read (Deceiver) es basically three novels cremmed nto one book; a set-up for the first movies and two sequels.
Geoff Woodland
Oct 31, 2011 Geoff Woodland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four stories with a common character that links each one to a central theme.
I don’t usually like this type of book, but perhaps being a Frederick Forsyth fan does help, as I found each story to be a faced paced
page turner in its own right. I prefer his “The Fist of God’ & “The Veteran”, but still enjoyed “The Deceiver”.
  • Cold Harbour (Dougal Munro and Jack Carter, #2)
  • The Matlock Paper
  • When Eight Bells Toll
  • The Cry of the Halidon
  • Traitor's Kiss
  • The Ransom of Black Stealth One (Aerospace Systems, #1)
  • Our Game
  • XPD
  • Alistair MacLean's Night Watch
  • A Matter of Honor
Frederick Forsyth, CBE is an English author and occasional political commentator. He is best known for thrillers such as The Day of the Jackal, The Odessa File, The Fourth Protocol, The Dogs of War, The Devil's Alternative, The Fist of God, Icon, The Veteran, Avenger, The Afghan, and recently The Cobra and The Kill List.

The son of a furrier, he was born in Ashford, Kent, educated at Tonbridge Scho
More about Frederick Forsyth...

“...a woman of quite bovine stupidity and potato-like contours...” 5 likes
“position for his colleague in Secret Intelligence would be just the reverse. Sir Mark was having” 1 likes