Start by marking “Body Language” as Want to Read:
Body Language

Body Language

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  317 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Eighteen years ago, a girl shot down a rapist while her father's lawnmower sputtered in the yard outside. Somewhere in the heat and shadows of that day, Alexandra Rafferty took on the burden of her deed, and forged a bond of silence with her cop father. But now Alexandra's husband has left, her father is clinging to his health, and a Miami serial killer is leaving behind d ...more
Published April 1st 2007 by St. Martin's Press (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Body Language, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Body Language

Jordan McPeek
I didn't realize it wasn't a Thorn until I started. I generally avoid serial killer books, and this reminded me why. Crazy killer on the loose, watch out, again. Ho hum. The big twist seemed so contrived. The love scenes were overdone. The big clue that wasn't discovered until the end was obvious right at the beginning when it was introduced. Wacky bad guys with little quirks, yawn. Not all bad. Liked the Dad with the memory loss, interesting. Plot moved along nicely. Overall, it just seemed clu ...more
Val
James Hall is a most interesting person. he was born in Kentucky, and graduated from Florida Presbyterian College with a B.A. in literature, and a deep love of Florida. He went on to earn an M.A. from Johns Hopkins University and a Ph.D. from the University of Utah. He then returned to Florida to teach literature and creative writing at Florida International University for the next 36 years.

The first books he published were four books of poetry followed by a collection of short stories and a boo
Ricardo
Couldn't finish it. The plot started okay and interesting but later on it became almost a joke
Kim
Quick read. Good story. Weird characters. Love Hall for all these things.
Scott  Breslove
3 - 3.5 stars. Kinda tossed up about it.
Interesting, compelling novel, read it basically straight through. Plot was well done and executed, but like some other reviewers I do question the likability of the characters. The only one I really liked was dear old dad, and I was really rooting for him to come up big in the end, and kinda disappointed he didn't. Also would have liked to learn just a little more about Norman before he was offed.
I had the killer, aka the Bloody Rapist, pegged pretty earl
Susan
For you Hall fans, this is not a Thorne. Hall has a new publisher and is trying something new. Trust me, you won't even miss Thorne. Alexandra Rafferty is a forensic photographer with the Miami Police. She is good at what she does. And her husband is a slime. And her ex-policeman father is losing his grip on reality. And there's a serial killer on the lose. This is a great story. It's got it all, great plot, great characters, some hysterically funny scenes and a wonderful telling of it all.
Kim
yeah well - average kind of murder mystery
easy reading but interestign too
the character i liked most though was the early altzheimer father - he was written with such understand and clarity that i have to wonder at the author's parents.

readable holiday-type book
Marca
There is not one likable character in this mystery. Most of the characters were so utterly unpleasant that it interfered with the enjoyment of the book. The resolution at the end was too abrupt. I wanted to know what happened after…, but the book just ends.
Heather
One of my favorite parts of this book was the location for the last two thirds of the story. It was set in Seaside, FL - a place I know and love and could completely envision during each of the scenes. Interesting. :)

Daniel
Another great thriller from James W. Hall. This is kind of book that James Patterson wishes he could write. In a better world, James Hall would be on every grocery store and Wal-Mart bookshelf too. (First Edition)
Joe O'c
Excellent; woman raped as a child becomes crime scene photographer; her husband robs armored car he drives and a serial killer who positions bodies in strange ways is after her.
Steve
A quick read. An 11 year old girl murders a neighboring boy and grows up to be a police officer. Will her past haunt her? Of course it will.
Jim
Started of slowly, but then the story picked up and drew me in until the end which didn't tie everything up and was somewhat of a disappointment.
Stasha
Suspense! Suspense!Suspense! A woman on the hunt for a serial killer, only to find out that there is trouble brewing under her own roof...
Kristen
Really great! Despite the sexy name this is a crime drama and a good one at that. The suspense had me reading every spare moment.
Marcie
Pretty good mystery but too many threads pulled together to be believable.
Barbara Chatzkel
Academic, but great research. Very foundational information on the subject
Sam Coon
This was great. I really enjoyed the plot twist at the end :)
Laurie Stoll
Lets just leave it at I read the entire book.
Julie
Body Language by James W. Hall (1999)
BC or Brenda
Bought from WPL for .25
Toesnorth's mom
good but graphic
Ahmad Jambi ef
Ahmad Jambi ef marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Georg N
Georg N marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
  • The Mango Opera
  • Sunburn
  • Captiva
  • Miami Purity
  • Hunting Down Amanda

James Wilson Hall is an Edgar and Shamus Award-winning author whose books have been translated into a dozen languages. He has written eighteen novels, four books of poetry, a collection of short stories, and a collection of He also won a John D. MacDonald Award for Excelle
More about James W. Hall...
Blackwater Sound (Thorn, #7) Under Cover of Daylight (Thorn, #1) Mean High Tide (Thorn, #3) Buzz Cut (Thorn, #5) Tropical Freeze (Thorn, #2)