Start by marking “Haiku Mind: 108 Poems to Cultivate Awareness and Open Your Heart” as Want to Read:
Haiku Mind: 108 Poems to Cultivate Awareness and Open Your Heart

Haiku Mind: 108 Poems to Cultivate Awareness and Open Your Heart

4.22  ·  Rating Details  ·  166 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Haiku, the Japanese form of poetry written in just three lines, can be miraculous in its power to articulate the profundity of the simplest moment—and for that reason haiku can be a useful tool for bringing us to a heightened awareness of our lives. Here, the poet Patricia Donegan shares her experience of the haiku form as a way of insight that anyone can use to slow down ...more
Published October 12th 2010 by Shambhala (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Haiku Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Haiku Mind

Pamela
Jan 13, 2014 Pamela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Haiku writers, Haiku, readers, meditator, those interested in Buddhism, Zen, Haiku
108 Haiku written by both legendary haiku writers (Basho, Issa, et al.) to modern writers (Elizabeth Searle Lamb, Jack Kerouac, et al.) followed by Donegan's commentary. This is a wonderful book for anyone interested in reading and writing haiku. I have the Kindle edition; I initially read it through from beginning to end, and now find myself returning to it anytime I feel like reading a brief, meditative piece. Donegan's brief commentaries following each haiku are interesting and informative. I ...more
Donna Jo Atwood
Aug 08, 2009 Donna Jo Atwood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Each haiku is given two pages which contains the poem itself, a short meditation, and a few words about the poet.
Although the editor chose the themes for these haidu inspired by Buddhist tradition, they can be enjoyed by readers of any religion. They encourage the reader to slow down and reflect upon life, to take time to see what is, to come away from being self-absorbed.
This is a lovely little book, worthy of rereading.
Lauren
Sweet book - a holiday present that a poked through while home in New Jersey for a week. The criticisms were insightful and the selection of haiku was very varied and included American haiku, which was a nice treat.

I think it's a shame that the book is marketed the way it is because it's a smart collection and Patricia Donegan is an excellent scholar.
Liz
May 27, 2009 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
I have completed this wonderful little book and now am re-reading the poems. The book has instilled a desire to try my hand a haiku. My belief is that it should be a relaxing experience forming small poems from few words. This book feeds the mind with images brought forth with the carefully chosen discriptions in the poetry. A gentle feast indeed.
Julie
Feb 28, 2015 Julie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am doing a reading challenge and one of the tasks was to read a book of poetry. I found this one on goodreads and thought that haikus would be a good idea for me because I like conciseness. And what is more concise that a haiku. Upon reading them though, I found out they were not concise but ridiculous! Haikus are supposed to be 3 lines, 5 syllables, 7 syllables, 5 syllables. There was maybe one haiku in this book that followed that rule. Also, some of them weren't even 3 lines. Most of them h ...more
Satia
Apr 06, 2009 Satia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: poets, buddhists, mediators
I almost want to give this five stars because really it deserves more than a four. A wonderful book. For a full review:

Elly Sands
Nov 19, 2010 Elly Sands rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A delightful book and a real joy to read. I began seeing my immediate surroundings via creating a haiku. What a relaxing and centering way to view the world. It makes the mundane sparkle.
C.B. Wentworth
Oct 24, 2015 C.B. Wentworth rated it it was amazing
Part devotional, part haiku, Haiku Mind explores the philosophy and practice of writing haiku. Author Patricia Donegan pairs haiku (both traditional and contemporary from all around the world) with the basic themes of meditation as a means to weave together the creative pursuit of poetry and the life pursuit of finding inner peace. As a small anthology of haiku, it is a beautiful array that spans the early masters to modern poets. Donegan's commentary ranges from insightful to humorous, while al ...more
Blaine
Jul 29, 2015 Blaine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
HAIKU - Japanese form of poetry. English versions are usually three lines and contain an aspect of nature and evokes some form of emotion. This is a wonderful collection of poems that helps you stay in the present and concentrate on the current thought\image presented by the poet. Each poem is given some interpretation and the reader is given a short biography of the poet and the context of their writing. Nicely done.
Terra
Nov 06, 2011 Terra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, haiku
I started this book in June and read one of the 108 entires nearly every day until the start of November. I found it a grounding way to start my day. I am going to miss this book with its quiet wisdom.

A mixture of early Japanese haiku from the 1600's to modern day Americans and one Canadian each page starts with a topic such as greed, simplicity or communication. Then you have the simple beautiful haiku followed by Patrica Donegan's commentary. Each entry ends with a brief description of the aut
SmarterLilac
Jan 01, 2014 SmarterLilac rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A deep and varied look at the haiku form. Many different themes and perspectives populate this book. War, joy, children, old age--even abortion--make appearances. I read this in one sitting (backwards for some reason) while my internet was out. That's probably not an accident. Everything in this collection encourages us to embrace contemplation, which may require special focus in the digital age. Not sure I would have gotten as much out of it had I broken it up into different sessions.

These tiny
Scott Wiggerman
Sep 03, 2015 Scott Wiggerman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Half haiku, half self-help (along Zen lines). An interesting approach to "seeing" more than meets the eye.
Rebecca Kane
May 25, 2015 Rebecca Kane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finally, a book that explains haiku in a simple, yet visionary way.
megan-redwitch
Dec 30, 2015 megan-redwitch rated it really liked it
while perhaps not the world's best haiku collection the coming together of theme, short exploratory musings by the editor, and brief bio of the author, make it an excellent introduction to the form - and the way of the form, the why of the form - that i would highly recommend to almost anyone looking to understand haiku or expand their appreciation, or simply as a beautiful meditation to follow through no matter how long or short you decide to go through the 108 entries : )
Karl W.
Sep 19, 2011 Karl W. rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, buddhism
I should have probably given in two stars, as it was "just OK," but that rating just seemed too harsh. This is a well-intentioned book that starts off as though it might be interesting but by the last third or so seems to tail off into frothiness and fluff. Many of the haiku are interesting, but the commentary is for the most part fairly thin gruel.
christopher leibow
Mar 17, 2009 christopher leibow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
a great idea for a book. Looking at haiku's as a way to mindfulness. The author presents a haiku and a brief commentary regarding the haiku and how it relates to mindfulness. The only critique would be the small biographies about the haiku authors at the end of each example, feel a little redundant, and not as well written as the rest of the book.
John Burroughs
I began reading this in early 2013 while sitting with Mom in the hospital - finally finished it today while visiting my father-in-law in North Port, Florida.
Krysti
The Haiku was great...sometimes I just ended up trying not to look at the author's titles and notes, though because it seemed to hamper my own creativity! :P
Oz
Dec 23, 2015 Oz rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, philosophy
There are many good haiku in this book, each standing alongside a few great ones throughout. The editor's commentary was so-so, but overall not bad.
Donna
Jan 08, 2010 Donna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read this book as a daily devotional - a haiku and interpretation is about a page total. Loved it. This book also makes a very nice gift.
Don Wentworth
Dec 04, 2015 Don Wentworth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the finest anthologies of haiku, with superlative haiku commentary. In a league with the classic 4 volume Haiku set by R. H. Blyth.
Rachel
Apr 10, 2011 Rachel rated it it was amazing
This book is so pretty and insightful. Its a quick read and very addicting! I recommend this to anyone who loves nature and poetry!
Beth
Nov 09, 2009 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a book I would probably choose on my own (it was a gift) but nice for a change of pace!
Karin
Apr 17, 2012 Karin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the selection of haikus. Sometimes I skipped her writing and read just the haiku.
Sydney
Apr 16, 2011 Sydney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
In spite of the subtitle, this is a fine book for teaching the craft of haiku.
Lindy
Aug 19, 2011 Lindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great resource to unlock the creative spirit.
Cheryl
Apr 21, 2012 Cheryl rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Consumed in minutes, only the poems.
Maia
Maia marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Ceil
Ceil rated it really liked it
May 25, 2016
  • Haiku Handbook: How to Write, Share, and Teach Haiku
  • The Haiku Anthology:  Haiku And Senryu In English
  • Sky Above, Great Wind: The Life and Poetry of Zen Master Ryokan
  • Basho: The Complete Haiku
  • The Essential Haiku: Versions of Basho, Buson, and Issa
  • Nine Gates: Entering the Mind of Poetry
  • Haiku (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets)
  • Japanese Death Poems: Written by Zen Monks and Haiku Poets on the Verge of Death
  • Evidence: Poems