Start by marking “Haiku Mind: 108 Poems to Cultivate Awareness and Open Your Heart” as Want to Read:
Haiku Mind: 108 Poems to Cultivate Awareness and Open Your Heart

Haiku Mind: 108 Poems to Cultivate Awareness and Open Your Heart

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Haiku, the Japanese form of poetry written in just three lines, can be miraculous in its power to articulate the profundity of the simplest moment—and for that reason haiku can be a useful tool for bringing us to a heightened awareness of our lives. Here, the poet Patricia Donegan shares her experience of the haiku form as a way of insight that anyone can use to slow down ...more
Published October 12th 2010 by Shambhala (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Haiku Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Haiku Mind

Pamela
Jan 13, 2014 Pamela rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Haiku writers, Haiku, readers, meditator, those interested in Buddhism, Zen, Haiku
108 Haiku written by both legendary haiku writers (Basho, Issa, et al.) to modern writers (Elizabeth Searle Lamb, Jack Kerouac, et al.) followed by Donegan's commentary. This is a wonderful book for anyone interested in reading and writing haiku. I have the Kindle edition; I initially read it through from beginning to end, and now find myself returning to it anytime I feel like reading a brief, meditative piece. Donegan's brief commentaries following each haiku are interesting and informative. I ...more
Donna Jo Atwood
Each haiku is given two pages which contains the poem itself, a short meditation, and a few words about the poet.
Although the editor chose the themes for these haidu inspired by Buddhist tradition, they can be enjoyed by readers of any religion. They encourage the reader to slow down and reflect upon life, to take time to see what is, to come away from being self-absorbed.
This is a lovely little book, worthy of rereading.
Lauren
Sweet book - a holiday present that a poked through while home in New Jersey for a week. The criticisms were insightful and the selection of haiku was very varied and included American haiku, which was a nice treat.

I think it's a shame that the book is marketed the way it is because it's a smart collection and Patricia Donegan is an excellent scholar.
Liz
I have completed this wonderful little book and now am re-reading the poems. The book has instilled a desire to try my hand a haiku. My belief is that it should be a relaxing experience forming small poems from few words. This book feeds the mind with images brought forth with the carefully chosen discriptions in the poetry. A gentle feast indeed.
Satia
Apr 06, 2009 Satia rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: poets, buddhists, mediators
I almost want to give this five stars because really it deserves more than a four. A wonderful book. For a full review:

Elly Sands
A delightful book and a real joy to read. I began seeing my immediate surroundings via creating a haiku. What a relaxing and centering way to view the world. It makes the mundane sparkle.
Terra
I started this book in June and read one of the 108 entires nearly every day until the start of November. I found it a grounding way to start my day. I am going to miss this book with its quiet wisdom.

A mixture of early Japanese haiku from the 1600's to modern day Americans and one Canadian each page starts with a topic such as greed, simplicity or communication. Then you have the simple beautiful haiku followed by Patrica Donegan's commentary. Each entry ends with a brief description of the aut
SmarterLilac
A deep and varied look at the haiku form. Many different themes and perspectives populate this book. War, joy, children, old age--even abortion--make appearances. I read this in one sitting (backwards for some reason) while my internet was out. That's probably not an accident. Everything in this collection encourages us to embrace contemplation, which may require special focus in the digital age. Not sure I would have gotten as much out of it had I broken it up into different sessions.

These tiny
Karl W.
I should have probably given in two stars, as it was "just OK," but that rating just seemed too harsh. This is a well-intentioned book that starts off as though it might be interesting but by the last third or so seems to tail off into frothiness and fluff. Many of the haiku are interesting, but the commentary is for the most part fairly thin gruel.
christopher leibow
a great idea for a book. Looking at haiku's as a way to mindfulness. The author presents a haiku and a brief commentary regarding the haiku and how it relates to mindfulness. The only critique would be the small biographies about the haiku authors at the end of each example, feel a little redundant, and not as well written as the rest of the book.
John Burroughs
I began reading this in early 2013 while sitting with Mom in the hospital - finally finished it today while visiting my father-in-law in North Port, Florida.
Krysti
The Haiku was great...sometimes I just ended up trying not to look at the author's titles and notes, though because it seemed to hamper my own creativity! :P
Donna
I've read this book as a daily devotional - a haiku and interpretation is about a page total. Loved it. This book also makes a very nice gift.
Rachel
This book is so pretty and insightful. Its a quick read and very addicting! I recommend this to anyone who loves nature and poetry!
Beth
Not a book I would probably choose on my own (it was a gift) but nice for a change of pace!
Karin
I liked the selection of haikus. Sometimes I skipped her writing and read just the haiku.
Sydney
In spite of the subtitle, this is a fine book for teaching the craft of haiku.
Lindy
Great resource to unlock the creative spirit.
Cheryl
Consumed in minutes, only the poems.
Sarah marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Cyndi
Cyndi marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Stasy
Stasy marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Tasha
Tasha is currently reading it
Nov 22, 2014
Yasmin
Yasmin marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
  • Haiku Handbook: How to Write, Share and Teach Haiku
  • Basho: The Complete Haiku
  • The Haiku Anthology
  • The Essential Haiku: Versions of Basho, Buson, and Issa
  • Evidence: Poems
  • Nine Gates: Entering the Mind of Poetry
  • Japanese Death Poems: Written by Zen Monks and Haiku Poets on the Verge of Death
  • Mountains and Rivers Without End
  • One Robe, One Bowl: The Zen Poetry of Ryokan
  • Haiku
  • Mysteries of Small Houses
  • Sweet Ruin
  • Moy Sand and Gravel
  • The Collected Songs of Cold Mountain
  • Writing Begins with the Breath: Embodying Your Authentic Voice
  • Leaves of Grass and Other Writings (Norton Critical Editions)
  • Life's Companion: Journal Writing as a Spiritual Practice
  • The Spring of My Life and Selected Haiku
Love Haiku: Japanese Poems of Yearning, Passion, and Remembrance Chiyo-ni: Woman Haiku Master Haiku: Learn to express yourself by writing poetry in the Japanese tradition Haiku: Asian Arts and Crafts for Creative Kids Without Warning