Start by marking “Professor Wormbog in Search for the Zipperump-a-Zoo” as Want to Read:
Professor Wormbog in Search for the Zipperump-a-Zoo

Professor Wormbog in Search for the Zipperump-a-Zoo

Professor Wormbog has collected a Kerploppus, an Ickky, a Murgatroy, and a Useless. He has every beastie from A to Y, but he doesn't have a Zipperump-a-Zoo. He looks underground, in the sea, and in the air, and discovers how hard it is to find one — unless the Zipperump-a-Zoo wants to find you! Mercer Mayer creates a world of silly creatures filled with humor for adults an ...more
Published May 15th 2011 by FastPencil Premiere (first published June 1st 1976)

Be the first to ask a question about Professor Wormbog in Search for the Zipperump-a-Zoo

Miriam
Apr 06, 2015 Miriam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture

Never had this Mercer Mayer as a kid but am glad to see it reissued. I didn't love it the way I loved some his other books but enjoyed seeing some old friends from One Monster After Another et al.

Saffron
Aug 25, 2012 Saffron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
This is my favourite book from childhood by a country mile. Professor Wormbog has all the animals in his collection from A to Y but he still hasn't found the elusive Zipperump-A-Zoo.

With really detailed, extremely 70's and impressively psychedelic illustrations, Mercer Meyer takes us on a journey to locate the Zipperump-A-Zoo. We get to meet many of the other weird and wonderful animals on the way, including the Blowfat Glowfish, the Little Laff and the Gloomy Kerplopous. I mention these in par
Rachel Hartman
Jun 05, 2012 Rachel Hartman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why am I suddenly remembering all my favourite books from my childhood? I have no notion why. Must be on a nostalgia kick. This one was delightfully silly and detailed. I always felt Mercer Mayer's drawing was superior to Maurice Sendak's (shhhh! Don't tell, or I'm sure Sendak's ghost will come after me). He doesn't have the same depth of story, perhaps, but I am such a sucker for good brushwork that in some degree I don't care. Ooh! I should go rate his frog stories! Good thinking, Rachel!

I wil
Haunted_Nostril
Jan 28, 2009 Haunted_Nostril rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
A fantastic book that subtly teaches children the alphabet and different environments in the world around them. Full of great little monsters and characters, brilliantly illustrated, wonderfully written, a real cracker that kids (young and old alike) will cherish. I read this when I was only about six or seven and it still holds pride of place in my collection. Can't wait to have kids to read it to them.
Gabriel Wallis
Sep 15, 2012 Gabriel Wallis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All kids
Shelves: 2012
I remember my older brother reading this book to me when I was a child. The illustrations were eye-catching, and they still are too this day. You could spend minutes looking at each page. And the journey of looking for a zipperump-a-zoo? I was just as excited in discovering it as I was when younger. I do recommend it to all kids... and adults.
Rachel
Jan 01, 2012 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Professor Wormbog collects beasties. He has every beastie from A to Y, but not the elusive Z monster, the Zipperump-A-Zoo. So he goes in search of it all over the world, from the beach to caves to forests. But he doesn't find it, so he goes home and falls asleep next to the fire, where of course the monster has been looking for promptly come out and start playing. This book has fantastic illustrations, though ones that are more geared towards adults than children. My favorite illustrations is th ...more
Jennifer Miera
I'm a fan of Mercer Mayer in general, but this is one of his best. The pictures are loaded with lots of little details - like the signs posted in various environments on each page (my sons like me to read each one): Wash your hands and feet! Use soap! proclaims a sign trailing behind a passing airplane. The creatures are imaginative and have fun names. We especially like the last page where the zipperump-a-zoos come out while a defeated Professor Wormbog is sleeping. We count them to make sure w ...more
Melanie
This one is great! Pictures are amazing and leave you tons to look at (which is hard when you are the one reading the book because the little listeners don't want to let you sit and look at the pictures) but it's funny! Professor wormbog has a "beasties" collection but is missing a zipperump-a-zoo. this book has a bunch of the monsters from one monster after another, so that makes it fun and the end has a funny little twist involving nocturnal zipperumps!

Christopher Bunn
I just read this book last night to my two-year-old son. Fantastic illustrations, wonderfully understated writing. My son giggled his way through the book. Who couldn't love Professor Wormbog? I must admit, even now, in my 40s, I can happily sit down with a pile of Mercer Mayer books and read them to myself. Of course, the experience is made more enjoyable if my son is sitting there chuckling with me.
Samantha
Mar 05, 2013 Samantha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is so much fun for children and adults. Mercer Mayer creates a really cute story with creative, captivating pictures and the perfect amount of words to keep a child's attention throughout. Professor Wormbog has a collection of beasties that range from A to Y and we follow him on his search for the needed Zipperump-a-Zoo. It's my opinion, this is a necessary one for a children's book collection.
K.
This is maybe our favorite kids book!

I've probably had this read to me and read it to my kids over 500 times and I still have trouble getting through it without a small one saying, "read it, mommy!" impatient with me stopping to look at the pictures. Which are wonderful and so full of things to see you never tire of it.
Jason
Aug 08, 2012 Jason rated it it was amazing
Professor Wormbog is a curator of Beasties. He has found all the Beasties of note from A-Y but is missing the elusive Zipperrump-a-Zoo. Join him on his quest as he searches high and low for the elusive critter.

My all time favorite book from childhood. I re-read it the other night and again it put a smile on my face. Highly recommneded for ages 3-8yrs.
Stephanie
One of my absolute favorite books as a child. I was heartbroken when I tried to track down a copy for a friend's baby shower and I found out it's out of print. Used copies go for $40+ now. Wish I had held on to mine - not to sell but for sentimental value. In my opinion, this outshines Where the Wild Things Are by a long shot.
Aerin
Jun 28, 2009 Aerin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Mercer Mayer's more playful version of WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE, this book is the story of Professor Wormbog, who can't see things right under his nose. I was a little sensitive to all the animals he kept in cages, but mostly this is a fun romp of a book. Another one to get from the library.
Quinn
Jul 24, 2008 Quinn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been reading this book to my now 2 yr old son and he loves it. The funny thing is that I am reading the same copy that was read to me when I was a boy. Well illustrated the pictures are enough to entertain the young, yet there is such detail and extras to read that older kids will enjoy it too.
The Brothers
Written and illustrated by the "Little Critter" author Mercer Mayer - but much better than those stories! A professor who collects unusual animals has every one in the alphabet except for the Zipperump-a-zoo. His adventures in trying to locate one for his collection are delightful.

Fantastic illustrations.
Arlomisty
Sep 16, 2012 Arlomisty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This has always been one of my favorite kids books... I finally got a chance to read it to my four year old daughter and she loved it too. The pictures are great... I used to love looking at them when I was a kid...
Ali
This was one of my favorite books when I was little. I've been looking for a copy of it to read to my children and was so happy that they finally published a re-printing of it. My girls love this book and enjoy finding something new to look at in the pictures each time we read it.
Gps
I am not sure that this book has any redeeming qualities, but it is great fun..and a fantastic ending (one of my requirements, needless to say).

i guess one could learn some of the alphabet along the way, but just sit back and enjoy, much as Professor Wormbog does (what a super name).
Liesel
Apr 02, 2014 Liesel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: preschool
Age range: 4-8
Literacy skill: Print awareness, narrative skill

Kids will pore over the detailed, text-rich illustrations. I loved this book when I was five and kids today still respond with excitement.
Karen
Oct 01, 2008 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just bought a copy of this book as both Maegan and Luella have raved about it over the years. The day it came in the mail we read it to Reid and he keeps asking for us to read it over and over. He especially likes the page with the monsters in alphabetical order.
Megan
Aug 21, 2012 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The professor has found all the monsters except for the Z-Zipperump-A-Zoo. Funny pictures and great story as her travels the world looking for the monster.

The cover picutre scared my 5 year old. Also, a lot of the monster names are hard to pronounce - revenge on parents.
Sean
Apr 29, 2008 Sean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my 2nd book by Mercer Mayer i had as a child, and i always read it before i went to bed. Its a book that is filled with all types of creatures that we as kids loved. Such as Suess's "If I Ran the Zoo". Great for a child's imagination.
Brenna Call
Jul 18, 2011 Brenna Call rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would actually give this about a 3.5. I liked the story and the illustrations mostly because of the nostalgia I felt while reading it. I have a little monsters book that was a family favorite while I was growing up. I would recommend it to kids who like where the wild things are.
Amanda Grooms
May 30, 2015 Amanda Grooms rated it it was amazing
After being reminded by my Mom how much I used to love the "Icky" book, I just had to have it for Zander. The book has beautiful illustrations as well as a very cute and creative story. Wonderful book!!
Benjamin Long
Nov 27, 2012 Benjamin Long rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very imaginative and good for a beginning reader Bright and colorful pages clash well with the bizarre creatures.
Terry
Feb 13, 2014 Terry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of tongue-twisting names and equally tongue-twisting pictures to entertain the first graders and their reader-for-today.
Aug 24, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hadn't heard of this classic, but I loved it! I could look at this book for hours, cause there is so much to see in every picture. And I laughed out loud at the ending.
Maegan
Jul 26, 2008 Maegan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, childrens
One of the very cutest kids books out there. I read this to Forrest at least once per day. The illustrations are great as well.
Ellen Edgington
Feb 12, 2014 Ellen Edgington rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My all-time favorite book as a kid learning to read. I still have my original huge hard back copy. Amazing!!!!
Mercer Mayer's Quality 1 6 May 25, 2008 06:10PM
  • Grumpy Cat
  • Imagine a Day
  • Beauty & the Beast: A Pop-up Book of the Classic Fairy Tale
  • George and Martha Round and Round
  • It's an Orange Aardvark!
  • Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star
  • Flower Fairies of the Spring
  • Mittens
  • I'm a Manatee
  • Autumn Story
I began illustrating books in 1966. Since that time I have published over 300 books. Most of my books are about things that happened to me when I was a little kid. Now I'm a big kid and I write about things that happen now, especially with my own children. They always remind me of what it was like.

I was born in Arkansas in 1943. Boy, that was a long time ago! It's real fun to be an old kid. Then m
More about Mercer Mayer...