Start by marking “This 'n That” as Want to Read:
This 'n That

This 'n That

Like her famous characters, she's tough, confident, and never minces words. This frank, no-nonsense account features Bette Davis in her best role: her own remarkable life - on-screen and off...

The glory days of Hollywood... the ups and downs with her husbands and children... behind the scenes with Joan Crawford in Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?... a few choice words about
Published March 1st 1988 by Berkley (first published January 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about This 'n That, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This 'n That

Brooklyn Tayla
What can I say about Bette Davis? I've only really come to appreciate her films as of this past year. My grandma introduced me to her films. I found myself captivated by this actress and definitely look forward to watching more films of hers and hopefully listening to those songs. This book was really a medley of everything that happened after her stroke, as well as talking about her children and their marriages. Very raw and profound, I really enjoyed this book. I recommend it to all film fans ...more
Lee Anne
In the late eighties, I was sad to think that people who knew Bette Davis would think of her only as she was then. Having suffered a mastectomy and a stroke in tandem, she recovered, but spent the last few years of her life, when she wasn't taking the occasional t.v. movie role, as a skeletal, chain-smoking, braying old bat on "Donahue" and "The Tonight Show" and the like. Some twenty years have passed since then, but this book brought that version of Bette Davis screaming right back.

Much like h
Jacquline
Jul 03, 2010 Jacquline rated it it was amazing
This is such a sweet, sad, traumatic, laughable book. This book looks at Bette Davis’ life through her own eyes. Bette talks about her relationships good and bad, illnesses, and an overwhelming love for her children. I picked up this book knowing nothing about her personal life, just that I loved some of her films. This book read so much like Davis it was like I could hear her reading the words aloud to me. She is such a strong willed character and is very inspirational. Through the book you cou ...more
Anne
Aug 17, 2008 Anne rated it it was ok
I love Bette Davis and started reading this on the plane on the way home from vacation. Lots of interesting info about her life that I wasn't aware of but I found the book difficult to read. It was very choppy with a lot of going back and forth whenever something triggered a memory for her. In the foreward it states the book was published exactly as it had been written. I feel it would have been a better read with some editing so the information and time frames would have a better flow.
Su Irwin
Sep 26, 2013 Su Irwin rated it it was amazing
Fabulously honest, catty and a potted history of Hollywood. Misunderstood, betrayed by her beloved daughter and recovering from strokes this is a stream of consciousness ride through an amazing life. Inspirational and revealing on every page this is a great read whether you were a fan or not.
Teresa
Aug 27, 2009 Teresa rated it it was amazing
I thought I would like this book I just didn't realize how much. If anyone enjoys old Hollywood then this is a must read.
Germanio Puglio
Aug 23, 2013 Germanio Puglio rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Sad that she got so old and spindly though. She had once been beautiful. It was very candid.
Vikki
Oct 25, 2011 Vikki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is an autobiography of Bette Davis. Reading this book makes me want to read My Mother's Keeper by B.D. Hyman. I did enjoy this autobiography a lot.
Barbara Venezia
Mar 02, 2013 Barbara Venezia rated it it was amazing
I'm a huge fan and this book made her more real to me. She was hilarious. Loved it!
Jason
Jul 19, 2013 Jason rated it it was amazing
What else is there to say...I LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!
Riccardo
Aug 02, 2011 Riccardo rated it it was amazing
Brilliant.
Michael Thomas Angelo
May 09, 2009 Michael Thomas Angelo rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Jennifer Curren
Christina Jacqueline Jacqueline

This is an amusing read, nothing really significant, exactly what the title implies, this n' that. If you want a more comprehensive discussion of Davis' films and life, you need to look elsewhere. I suppose the most interesting part of the book is at the end where Davis talks about finding out that her daughter, B.D., had published a book about her. While not as devastatingly unflattering as "Mommie Dearest," the book was embarrassing in part because B.D. included a number of unkind statements
Glenn Colby
Dec 15, 2016 Glenn Colby rated it it was ok
This book is one of the most boring autobiographies I have ever read. SPOILER ALERT. I learned only one thing really in it. While Ronald Reagan was head of the Screen Actor's Guild (SAG) he signed away all residuals from movies for all actors and actresses to this very day - and for the future too. This infuriated Bette Davis - whom she called Reagan "Little Ronnie" - and she also was surprised Reagan reached the Presidency. Otherwise, no stories of her fabled life regarding her romances really ...more
Dayla
Sep 10, 2016 Dayla rated it liked it
Provided great insight into Bette Davis' life--and by all accounts Ms. Davis was an emotional cripple.

She came to rely on her "assistant" named Kath. Poor Kath. The psychology behind a person living with emotional taunts daily from her employer (Davis), is almost too much to take.

Here is a line that will give you an idea about what Ms. Davis was like. When she was in the hospital towards the end of her stay, the doctors kept asking her when she was going to leave. "My rather testy reply was, "I
Katy St. Clair
Feb 24, 2009 Katy St. Clair rated it it was ok
a good page turner that you can read in one afternoon... not as "un-juicy" as she says it is going to be; there is plenty of dirt in it. this book came out after her daughter wrote a scathing book about her, so she takes on a lot from that book here and tries to plead, a bit, with her daughter. she even poses with her secretary on the back cover, who it is obvious became a surrogate daughter for her after her real one bailed on her. it seems like she is rubbing this in her daughter's face... aga ...more
Kim
May 28, 2015 Kim rated it it was amazing
I absolutely idolize Bette Davis, and I do even more so now after reading her autobiography. She is candid, vulnerable at times, always thoughtful about what she's revealing, and more than once I wiped tears from my eyes. This book gives the reader the feeling that they're sitting on a porch swing with Ms. Davis, listening to her tell her story and I will definitely reread it again in the future. She was more than a force to be reckoned with in her personal life, as well as her professional life ...more
Ashley
Aug 24, 2013 Ashley rated it liked it
The structure of this autobiography is fairly stream-of-consciousness, with the topic of each of her chapters frequently interrupted by unrelated anecdotes. That said, the anecdotes are typically rather amusing memories of her encounters with other stars, so I can't complain.

At the very beginning and certainly at the end, you can tell how upset she was over her daughter's anti-Bette book.

All in all, reading this autobiography makes you feel like you're on a lunch date with an older Bette, just
Bob
Jun 21, 2015 Bob rated it really liked it
This book was not what i was expecting. Written after her daughter's tell all, life with mother ala Mommie Dearest type bio was published, i truly thought this book was going to be a retaliation, but it was not. Ms. Davis talks a lot about her children in a very loving way. And the book takes a lot of time to discuss how she dealt with her breast cancer and her stroke, which she wanted to be the main topic of her book. It is a very thoughtful piece of writing. Like I said, it was not what I was ...more
Christina
May 31, 2009 Christina rated it liked it
This is a nice companion to Bette's first book, "The Lonely Life," which she finished writing just before she did Baby Jane. She discusses her later years, her recovery from severe medical problems, and addresses her daughter's betrayal in writing a tell all book. This book is great for fans of Bette who are already familiar with her life and career, but is not recommended as an introduction to her.
Olivia Prunean
Oct 16, 2015 Olivia Prunean marked it as to-read
My opinion is most certainly biased, but I thought this book was brilliant! Bette Davis herself is brilliant, too. Being a rather new (yet entirely devoted) Davis fan, I was actually surprised that she had the strength to write this. I mean, I knew Bette was a tough lady, but writing a book right after a HUGE betrayal... I think everyone can agree that Bette Davis is spectacular even if her books aren't up on the shelf beside Frankenstein and War and Peace.
Lauren
Sep 07, 2008 Lauren rated it liked it
Bette Davis' minimally organized but mostly engaging final book is probably best left to her biggest fans. It drifts from recuperation memoir to Hollywood reminiscences both fond and bitchy, ending with a tacked-on rebuttal to her daughter's stinging tell-all book. The Lonely Life is an all-round better (and by design, more comprehensive) autobio, with a few stories therein told repeated here, some oddly altered. But Bette's fans will find this an amusing, revealing, enjoyable quick read.
Jorge
Aug 18, 2016 Jorge rated it it was amazing
This book is a must read, as a fan of Betty Davis I could not put it down. It's also a fast read and a very entertaining one. As I read Bette's words, I could hear her voice and see her as she looked in whatever era she was speaking about, since she was on the public eye till her last days. I would recommended this book to all Bette fans and even those who have yet to discover this screen goddesses. So fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night.
Marybeth
Oct 24, 2012 Marybeth rated it it was amazing
When I started this book, thought I would not like it as it seemed to jump around and was hard to follow. Once I got into it, I enjoyed it and felt I learned more about this remarkably strong woman. I feel that autobiographies are better as they are straight from the individual, so there is more feeling and truth about what is being written. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to know more about Bette Davis , the person, not just the movie star legend.
Erin
Jan 22, 2016 Erin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books
Bette Davis is one of my favorite Hollywood actresses. It was so refreshing to read an autobiography by an extraordinary and one of a kind woman. She left me laughing at certain points throughout the book. I recommend this to anyone who has a love of vintage Hollywood films or who is a Bette Davis fan.
Larry Baumgartner
Mar 04, 2014 Larry Baumgartner rated it liked it
Fan fluff. Got it to have her explain daughter's about turn, but lacks any real explanation. To me, if she was was generous as she says she was, daughter should just shut up. Honors her secretary, but doesn't explain why she left to later return and work again for her. Finish it in a day or two.
Natty
Mar 30, 2014 Natty rated it really liked it
Quite a good read. This book is full of colorful anecdotes about Ms. Davis' past in her signature frank and forthright style. Her discussion about her mastectomy and stroke truly reveal the depths of the human condition in fighting to regain one's health after serious illness.
Fascinating all around.
Richard
May 29, 2015 Richard rated it liked it
This book would have benefited from a good editor. It reads as a random stream of consciousness from Miss. Davis. There are some interesting anecdotes & one does feel sad that Bette's beloved daughter stabbed her in the back with her own grubby little book. It's a quick & easy read for Bette fans but not an essential read.
Christine Grant
Sep 28, 2012 Christine Grant rated it really liked it
The book itself isn't great but you can't give Bette less than five stars. She wrote this book when she was very ill as a response to "Not My Mother's Keeper" by her daughter B.D. Hyman. I'll admit I liked that book too.
Yaron
Apr 26, 2016 Yaron added it
I don't remember when I read this book (it was somewhere in the 80s, but I do remember it was interesting and supplied the necessary drama a Bette Davis fan wants from her autobiography.
  • Life is a Banquet
  • Lana: The Lady the Legend the Truth
  • Evenings with Cary Grant: Recollections in His Own Words and by Those Who Knew Him Best
  • Blessings in Disguise
  • Myrna Loy: Being and Becoming
  • The Making of The African Queen, or: How I went to Africa with Bogart, Bacall and Huston and almost lost my mind
  • Cary Grant: The Lonely Heart
  • Tracy and Hepburn
  • Notes on a Cowardly Lion: The Biography of Bert Lahr, With a New Preface by the Author
  • From Reverence to Rape: The Treatment of Women in the Movies
  • The Girl Who Walked Home Alone: A Personal Biography of Bette Davis
  • The Big Picture: Who Killed Hollywood? and Other Essays
  • Bette and Joan: The Divine Feud
  • Complicated Women: Sex and Power in Pre-Code Hollywood
Ruth Elizabeth "Bette" Davis was a two-time Academy Award-winning American actress of film, television and theatre. Noted for her willingness to play unsympathetic characters, she was highly regarded for her performances in a range of film genres; from contemporary crime melodramas to historical and period films and occasional comedies, though her greatest successes were romantic dramas.

After appe
More about Bette Davis...

“Once the love bug wears off, as it inevitably does, you are shocked to discover that you really didn't know the object of your affections at all. We know this to be so, even as we repeat the same mistake over and over and over.” 7 likes