A Modern Instance

A Modern Instance

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  158 ratings  ·  17 reviews

A Modern Instance explores the deterioration of what could
have been an otherwise healthy marriage through industrial enterprise and
capitalistic greed.

- Excerpted from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Published November 17th 2010 by MobileReference (first published 1883)

To ask other readers questions about A Modern Instance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Modern Instance

Kim
"A Modern Instance" is a novel written by William D. Howells. The novel was serialized in Century Magazine in eleven installments between December 1881 and October 1882; it was published in book form in Boston by James R. Osgood and Company in October 1882. Howells got the idea for the novel after he saw a performance of "Medea" in Boston in 1875. When he witnessed on the stage the recreation of Medea's love for Jason, her husband who betrays her, and how her love changes to hatred, as Howells h...more
Kwame
A solid read. I enjoyed it. I think it accurately describes both the mechanics and the ethos of American journalism. To wit: Bartley Hubbard, a newspaperman blessed with "no more moral nature than a baseball," serves as the prototype of the glib and smiling journalist familiar to the audiences of Nightline or Washington Week.
tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
review of
William Dean Howells's A Modern Instance
by tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE - September 25, 2013

WARNING: This review has spoilers but is hopefully written in such a way that even if you read it thru it won't actually spoil yr enjoyment of reading the novel b/c the review doesn't give you the plot as much as it does my meta-take on the plot.

Ah.. yes, yet-another "too long" review of mine. For the full thing go here: http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/3...

It seems almost inevitable to me tha...more
Mia
Reading the first few chapters alone was worth it because of the insights provided into the character of Bartley Hubbard. I first "met" Bartley in Howells' novel "The Rise of Silas Lapham" and thought him cynical, but likable (except for the way he treated his wife). "A Modern Instance" is Bartley's story and finding out that he was an orphan and a self-made man wannabe really shows how despicable he was during his interview with Silas Lapham in the aforementioned book. Howells very deftly lets...more
Karen Chandler
I can see the historical importance of the novel: its careful focus on characters' psychology, its treatment of the largely man's world of journalism, its concern with changing estimations of religion are hallmarks of nineteenth-century realism. Yet I was bothered by Howells' assumptions about women's psychological and cognitive weakness and regional differences. As a champion of regional fiction, he might have been more sophisticated about people from outside the urban cultural centers. Yet Edi...more
Melanie Daves
A Modern Instance was an interesting read. I enjoyed how easily I could feel for the characters. I was angry with Marcia for being such a deluded idiot and I melted when Ben revealed that the picture he held on to was really a picture of Marcia. It is interesting that when I read the beginning, I actually liked Bartley, but by the end of the novel I detested him. I think Howells did that by changing Bartley's physical appearance towards the end. Howells could not be biased since he decided to wr...more
Christopher Sutch
This is an extraordinarily entertaining read. It's a strange hybrid of moral narrative and broad comedic satire. While the moral purpose of the novel will mean little to most people today, the satire and the plot events kept me interested and engaged. Howells's interest in developing "realistic" fiction ("naturalistic" as literary critics would say) is strongly apparent in this work, in which the two main characters' "love" and marriage are shown to take the courses they do because of the two pa...more
Mary
What a moving book.
It just goes to show how ambition and jealousy can threaten to destroy a marriage and how the innocent party would be looked on by a society where divorce was shunned.
An excellent read.
Dale
I wish I liked it more, and I understand the novelty and shock of the theme, but my humble opinion is that it never got the reader there - what's common today, if then was an aberration, should still hit the modern reader like a blow, and the book just...treaded water, or rather did a dead man's float, all the way through. I was unmoved, untouched, and really didn't care at the end, even though Howells did create most of the characters as fully three-dimensional people.
Christina
As I grow older, I become more aware of how the seemingly peaceful "days gone by" were, in truth, filled with many of the same mistakes and frustrations that society and individuals still face today. Hence, while culture described in the story was very different from the culture I live in, the characters and their views felt very familiar.
Noah
I liked the dynamic of the love triangle but, like every book by Howells that I have read, the characters are unbelievably dramatic about everything that happens to them. I thought this was supposed to be realistic, but then again, maybe I don't really know what "American realism" is.
Julie
This old-fashioned style of American Realism is probably not for everyone, but I loved this story of "love", abandonment, and divorce during the end of the 1800's. I was definitely born too late.
Eric
I read this for a Literature class that I took at Snow College. If I remember correctly, I liked it. It's been awhile. I probably aught to read it again.
Haley
Love it! Wonderful look at a marriage gone wrong. Ruins all those ideas that divorce is something our modern society struggles with....
Natalie Moore Goodison
One of the lesser-read American novels.
Jeff
Jun 25, 2007 Jeff rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: English geeks
The best book with no plot or purpose ever!
Leilani Serafin
Awesome so far!
Hector
Hector marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
joseph
joseph is currently reading it
Aug 25, 2014
Kendal
Kendal marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Mike
Mike added it
Aug 18, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Deb
Deb added it
Jul 24, 2014
Virginie Gimenez
Virginie Gimenez marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Alan
Alan marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Damnation of Theron Ware: Or Illumination
  • The History Of Henry Esmond, Esq. (Clear Print)
  • Dr. Wortle's School
  • Dostoevsky: A Writer in His Time
  • Eureka
  • The Crofter and the Laird: Life on an Hebridean Island
  • Random Winds
Willam Dean Howells was a novelist, short story writer, magazine editor, and mentor who wrote for various magazines, including the Atlantic Monthly and Harper's Magazine.

In January 1866 James Fields offered him the assistant editor role at the Atlantic Monthly. Howells accepted after successfully negotiating for a higher salary, but was frustrated by Fields's close supervision. Howells was made e...more
More about William Dean Howells...
The Rise of Silas Lapham (Penguin Classics) A Hazard of New Fortunes Indian Summer Editha Christmas Every Day