Start by marking “Christmas Cake” as Want to Read:
Christmas Cake

Christmas Cake (Hope Springs #4)

3.53  ·  Rating Details  ·  159 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews

With the holiday season drawing near, the ladies of Hope Springs, North Carolina, are making plans for a cake cookbook--a project that will hopefully lift the spirits of a beloved member of their close-knit quartet. But Margaret Peele is downhearted and uninspired now that her cancer has returned. All she wants this Christmas is to visit her mother's Texas hometown . . . a

Hardcover, Large Print, 333 pages
Published December 1st 2010 by Center Point (first published November 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Christmas Cake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christmas Cake

Dawn
Nov 13, 2015 Dawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys books on strong women friendships.
Recommended to Dawn by: I've read the first three books in the Hope Spring series.
It has been ten years since I read the third book in the Hope Spring series. This is the fourth book from the series. Even though it has been so long between books, I remember well the quirky and endearing characters from the first three books. The story is heartwarming and sad. As in the first book, "Friendship Cake", the church women are putting together a cookbook. At the start of each chapter is one of the recipes submitted for the cookbook. This time all the recipes are for cakes. Some of t ...more
Kathy (Bermudaonion)
Margaret, Jessie, Beatrice and Louise have been great friends forever. As members of the Women’s Guild of Hope Springs (North Carolina) Community Church, their current project is a Christmas Cake Cookbook and recipe contest. Beatrice has promised a big prize, but so far, hasn’t been able to deliver.

When Margaret discovers that her cancer has come back, her friends rally around her and vow to help her realize her final dream. They’re joined by their good friend and former pastor Charlotte, who ha
Melissa
While the writing was not fabulous and felt rushed to me at times, I liked this heartwarming tale of five friends who met through a church cookbook committee. I have not read the original book, The Friendship Cake, or the other two in the series, but I will be doing so just to find out how these women got started on their loyal, tight-knit friendships.

Set in a small town in North Carolina, this novel takes the women on an emotional journey when one of the group has a reoccurance of her cancer t
Elaine
Dec 02, 2010 Elaine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
#4 in the Hope Springs series

Of all the vehicles for the ladies to drive to Texas in! Margaret, Louise, and Beatrice are about to drive to Texas where they will meet their friend Charlotte whom they hadn't seen in a few years or so. Worrying about not yet having a prize to offer for the best cake recipe that she had announced, Beatrice forgot to see about renting a van for the trip. She's had other stuff on her mind as well. Louise and Jessie have been there for her to help her through something
Pjbookhoarder
Feb 01, 2016 Pjbookhoarder rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun, fast, read for the holidays. Loved all the cake recipes at the beginning of each chapter. Humorous good girlfdriend fun.
Mary Reed
Jan 04, 2016 Mary Reed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved reading about the friendship ladies. This story had a lot of laughs in it but also a lot of tears.
Marilyn Miles
Good storyline but a bit confusing on the point of view
Raquel
Nov 26, 2015 Raquel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I just couldn't get into it
Nov 01, 2010 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I Would have enjoyed this book more if I had read the previous books first.
The cake recipes were fantastic, I copied every single one and am making it my personal mission to bake each one.

Long time friends take their dying friend to Texas for one last time so she can see her hometown and see where she came from. Along the way hilarity and adventures ensue.

You really need to read the previous cake book to get to know the characters, itherwise it can be a little confusing.
Judy
Dec 29, 2010 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the 4th installment in Lynne Hinton's Hope Springs series. This inspirational fiction book again features the cookbook committee of the Hope Springs Church as they put together a cookbook of Christmas cake recipes. The project is therapy as the group comes to grip with the terminal illness of one of its members. The book also includes many yummy sounding cake recipes.
Nikki
Nov 29, 2009 Nikki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: friends amd family
Recommended to Nikki by: coworker/friend
This was a great holiday book. I enjoyed the recipes at the beginning of each chapter. I've never read any of Lynne Hinton's books before but now I want to read The Friendship Cake by her, as well as some of her others. She has realistic and likable characters. I am also looking forward to her next book, The Wedding Cake. Great story about the beautiful bond among friends.
Jaime Miller
This book was a slow start. Once I got into it, I really enjoyed it! diverse characters and heart warming/witty conversations. My only complaint is that the ending seemed to be forced and quick. She spent the entire time building up to the end, and then it was over within a few pages. It felt forced. But I don't regret the read and would read this author again.
Cindy
Apr 01, 2010 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Shannon, Aimee, Michelle, Jerry
My friend Lynne Hinton has finally written about the "cake women" of Hope Springs. Reading about the friends is like wrapping up in a worn afghan. As usual there are high jinks as Bea is accused of grand theft auto! And as in all the series, there is sadness, but friends pull together to make the hard times bearable. A quick, great read with lots of recipes.
Connie
Dec 28, 2011 Connie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again the ladies of the Hope Springs Cookbook Committee have an adventure. While the story is humorous at times, it also deals with more serious issues such as death, depression and domestic violence.

Hinton's books always leave me with a warm, wonderful feeling; I hope that someday I will be able to travel to New Mexico to meet her.
Kathleen Smith
Feb 22, 2010 Kathleen Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am suppose to review it for The Library Thing. It is an ok story, but kind of cookie cutter. Just with a different group of women. I am only half way through so we will see. After finishing it and finding out that the Author is actually a minister. I realized the strength of its message. Made me want more. So I read Wedding Cake....
Sandybear76
Jul 29, 2011 Sandybear76 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. The cookbook committee is at it again this time finding cakes recipes for Chirstmas. Bea starts it but passes it to Louise. Margaret receives unhappy news. Charlotte loves her new job in New Mexico. The committee drives to Texas.
Chelsea
A well-written story about old friends helping one of their own make her last days joyous around the Christmas season.

The books has a lot of fun recipes for various cakes and each recipe has a part in the story. I copied a few to try someday.
Donna
Oct 13, 2011 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lynne Hinton's series from Hope Springs, North Carolina, are heartwarming and funny. The four friends face difficult and sometimes funny situations are they work this time on a Christmas Cake book. They model whagt true friendship is all about.
Nancy
Mar 15, 2012 Nancy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like the Hope Springs series but it was a bit strange to have so much time pass between this book and the previous one. Margaret's cancer has returned and it sets off questions about mortality that are very well handled.
Carrie
Jan 20, 2010 Carrie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The best thing about this book is the recipes. There are some yummy sounding cakes that I can hardly wait to try. Most are Southern recipes so the ingredients seem offbeat to my Pacific Northwest granola and wheat germ palate.
Heather
Dec 30, 2010 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book because I liked the friendship and unity and compassion shown with this group of women. So because I liked the theme, I liked the story. I also am interested in trying a few of the recipes as well.
Sherri
Jan 27, 2016 Sherri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read all of the Hope Springs Book. As in each one, this one celebrates the love and blessing of female friendship. Sad, but filled with hope, this book is a refreshing, easy read.
Barb
Dec 29, 2011 Barb rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Another of the hope springs series....a bit more predictable than the others, and seemed a bit formulaic...like the author wanted to do a holiday book in order ot buy more presents...
Elizabeth Bass
Nov 05, 2011 Elizabeth Bass rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute book. It kind of reminded me of Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants with more mature women. I enjoyed how they came together as friends to deal with trials.
Holly Barrett
Dec 10, 2012 Holly Barrett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club-reads
Fun read about the friendships of women. Loved these women and how they interact and take care of one another, as well as how they reach out to younger women.
Kate
Dec 20, 2011 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book and discovered it's a series. It's the story of friendships, loss, forgiving and life. Oh yeah, and the cake recipes, too!
Angela
Nov 27, 2010 Angela rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not terribly interesting, so I stopped halfway through. The recipes in the book look yummy, though, so I am going to try some of those.
Peter
Aug 26, 2013 Peter rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My wife was outraged by the recipes in this book. So here is her one sentence review:

"Who would ever use margarine when baking a cake! "
Kim
Dec 27, 2009 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The end of life story of one woman, while others learn to go on living. And cake recipes. I'd read more by this author - this was my first.
Karen
Jul 16, 2012 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love good books with great stories and recipes too. This was amazing and made me want to read the rest of the series.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Moon Over Madeline Island
  • The Great Christmas Bowl
  • The Doctor's Christmas
  • Wreckers' Key (Seychelle Sullivan, #4)
  • Village Centenary (Fairacre, #15)
  • Home for Christmas
  • An Amish Christmas
  • Harriet Beamer Takes the Bus
  • Sugar Plums for Dry Creek (Dry Creek, #8)
  • A Blue and Gray Christmas
  • Murder with All the Trimmings (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper, #4)
  • The Christmas Cradle (The Cowboys, #1)
  • A Daughter for Christmas
  • Once Upon a Christmas: The Most Wonderful Time of the Year/'Twas the Week Before Christmas
  • Touch and Go
  • Angels in the Snow
  • A Little Yuletide Murder (Murder, She Wrote, #11)
  • A Fatal Fleece (A Seaside Knitters Mystery, #6)
Lynne Hinton is the pastor of St. Paul's United Church of Christ in Rio Rancho, New Mexico. The author of numerous novels including Friendship Cake, Hope Springs, Forever Friends, Christmas Cake, and Wedding Cake, she lives in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
More about Lynne Hinton...

Hope Springs (5 books)
  • Friendship Cake (Hope Springs #1)
  • Hope Springs (Hope Springs #2)
  • Forever Friends (Hope Springs #3)
  • Wedding Cake