Start by marking “Starrigger (Skyway, #1)” as Want to Read:
Starrigger (Skyway, #1)

Starrigger (Skyway #1)

At one time, outer space was seen as the last frontier, the final challenge to human ingenuity. But those days are gone as the galaxy becomes the stomping ground for humans encountering strange new machinery and green-faced Martians. Depicted with stark realism and meticulous detail, this novel tells of the dangers, despair and unbelievable pleasure that awaits the men and ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 264 pages
Published December 1st 1983 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about Starrigger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Starrigger

Tina
This book is fabulous, yet no one believes me. Maybe because of the cover, but also probably because it's a quest novel without a real quest, it has a villainous organization that only shows up at the start and the very end, it is full of really stupid jokes and time paradoxes. Not only that, but there's a slew of alien races, evil highway patrol cars that blast people to bits, a 60s car that is also a space ship (for lack of a more precise description), and it's part one of a trilogy!
I loved i
Bob Phule
Jul 14, 2010 Bob Phule rated it it was amazing
One of my all time favorite books. Starrigger. Jake is an interstellar trucker who picks up a hitchhiker and things go bad, as you would expect. Most of the interstellar roadway is unmapped and of course he heads off the map to shake those after them, Jake, the truck and the hitcher.

Book two, Red Limit Freeway. Book three, Paradox Alley.
Paul Fergus
May 08, 2013 Paul Fergus rated it it was ok
The cover, with the futuristic truck driving next to the classic red Chevy, is the best part of the book. Truckers in space with a hint of classic Americana? Sounds groovy!

Alas, there's not much going on inside. Jake, the interstellar space trucker and his computer truck pal Sam make for pretty bland characters. And they're the most interesting of the cast. Everyone else is plain crazy random, a satellite character, or a plot device.

The setting is more interesting. An alien super-race left behin
Mark
Feb 24, 2013 Mark rated it really liked it
Starrigger
By John DeChancie

Publisher: Ace Science Fiction Books
Published In: New York City, NY
Date: 1983
Pgs: 264

Summary:
Jake McGraw drives a truck, a truck that plys the Skyway, a portal gateway system that connects worlds. He leads a union of fellow skyriggers in opposition to a rival organization, TATOO. A dangerous rumor is spreading, a rumor that claims that Jake has a map of the entire Skyway system, a map that TATOO, the Communist based Colonial Assembly, the Colonial Militia, aliens galo
Mark Zodda
Good book that moved along fairly quickly. The detours into philosophy left me cold and I never grew attached to any of the characters nor to the worlds described. Won't continue to read this series though I still recommend reading this book.
Frank
Jul 18, 2012 Frank rated it it was ok
I've been a fan of Dechancie's CASTLE PERILOUS series forever. How the Starrigger series never came up on my radar is beyond me. When I was lucky enough to find Dechancie being published in eBook I was excited to read this new old series.

If your expecting the same type of storytelling as in the CASTLE series you will be remiss. STARRIGGER, John DeChancie's first published work is different in many ways from his grander series.
Where CASTLE PERILOUS is light hearted, STARRIGGER is more serious. P
Nick
The basic premise was really interesting, and is what got me to read the book. Mankind has found that there is other life out there, and that other worlds are already in communications. The method is strange, though. There is literally a highway that runs through interstellar gates. Part of this highway is on Pluto. The only practical way to use it is with high-speed ground vehicles, though...basically big trucks.
The details of the plot are weaker, due to the author's dependence on a strange set
Jackie
Mar 30, 2015 Jackie rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-sf
Imagine a universe where an unknown alien civilization has built “roads” that lead to almost everywhere. They’ve even left behind an automated system that punishes anything that inhibits the flow of traffic. Welcome to the world of Starrigger by John DeChancie. The Skyway is the ultimate super highway and the true home of Jake and his future version of the 18 wheeler. Jake’s life has suddenly gotten stranger than usual; he’s picked up a hitchhiker who may be juggling a time paradox and suddenly ...more
Timothy
May 16, 2013 Timothy rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
Starrigger was a surprising read for me. I initially found it through this site and has been languishing on my to read list for a bit. The scifi world DeChancie creates is interesting, but does not really stray too far from North America. Most of the interactions between the characters and between humans and extraterrestrials could be transported to present day and not lose much. That being said, the scifi elements were okay and the adventure was diverting. It fills a popcorn niche in scifi - ...more
Joseph Guyan
Aug 30, 2013 Joseph Guyan rated it it was ok
Bought it purely for the ace cover of a giant future-truck. More of a thriller than 'proper' scifi although the premise of the Skyway (a road connecting planets across time and space hence making normal space travel nearly obsolete) was interesting just not explored enough for my liking. Otherwise it was a decent, adventure yarn with a modicum of comedy. It just didn't float my boat.
Bob Rust
Apr 12, 2016 Bob Rust rated it it was amazing
Skyway Trilogy comprising Starrigger (1983) Red Limit Freeway (1984) and Paradox Alley (1986). Based on a truckers-in-space premise with some comic potential the already crowded tale is complicated by Time Paradoxes godlings and much more all built around the search for a missing interstellar spaceways map; the ensuing epic is at points extremely funny.
Robin
Nov 20, 2012 Robin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun read about interstellar trucking with a time travel paradox as a twist. The characters were generally fun and placed in situations that are a little different from typical futuristic SF. While the material comes across a little dated, this is a good read for someone looking for something other than lasers, light sabers, robots and spaceships.
Aftab
Aug 08, 2009 Aftab rated it liked it
The physics of the time paradox is a bit sketchy. But it certainly started out strong. I was through the first 50 pages in no time. The Leviathan-like monster ferry is quite interesting. The lightly drawn romance element is also pleasing.
Travis
Aug 21, 2010 Travis rated it it was ok
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Basically, it's truckers in space.
Not a bad idea, as our hero gets mixed up in some kind of scheme to mess with the 'roads' that connect the planets.
It just felt a bit bland and then I could never find the other two books to find out if it got better.
Robert Haight
Apr 24, 2008 Robert Haight rated it liked it
Shelves: sf
I have to say that I was disappointed. It could have and should have been so much more. It started strong and fell off quickly.
Glenn Harris
Jan 06, 2012 Glenn Harris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent first book in a trilogy featuring a "space trucker" and his truck (which has his father's consciousness)-- their adventures on the Skyway from planet to planet.
Jeff
Nov 06, 2014 Jeff rated it it was amazing
This book is the classic everyman road trip in a science fiction setting. Also it features a 57 Chevy!
Bob
Bob rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2014
Neils
Neils rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2009
Ironstone
Ironstone rated it liked it
Nov 24, 2011
Robert Brown
Robert Brown rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2016
Gerri Balter
Gerri Balter rated it did not like it
Jun 08, 2014
Skaw
Skaw rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2011
Raymond McFarlen
Raymond McFarlen rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2015
Edwin Voskamp
Edwin Voskamp rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2015
Michael Fry
Michael Fry rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2015
Kimberly Way-Kirkpatrick
Kimberly Way-Kirkpatrick rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2011
Eric
Eric rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2015
Vern
Vern rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2012
Mark Palmer
Oct 05, 2014 Mark Palmer rated it really liked it
Excellent original story.
  • Blue Champagne
  • The Final Reflection (Star Trek: Worlds Apart, #1)
  • The Timekeeper Conspiracy (Time Wars, #2)
  • Nell's Quilt
  • Mighty Good Road
  • Starwolf
  • The Identity Matrix
  • Battle Angel Alita - Last Order : Haunted Angel, Vol. 05
  • The Berserker Throne (Berserker, #7)
  • Star Wars: A New Hope Manga, Volume 1
  • Players at the Game of People
  • Carson of Venus (Venus, #3)
  • Future Games
From his website:
John DeChancie is the author of over two dozen books, fiction and nonfiction, and has written for periodicals as widely varied as Penthouse and Cult Movies. His novels in the science fiction and fantasy genres have been attracting a wide readership for more than fifteen years, and over a million copies of his books have seen print, many in foreign languages.

John's first work was
More about John DeChancie...

Skyway (3 books)
  • Red Limit Freeway (Skyway, #2)
  • Paradox Alley (Skyway, #3)