Start by marking “The Last Starfighter” as Want to Read:
The Last Starfighter

The Last Starfighter

3.67  ·  Rating Details ·  1,065 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
[See translation below.] Les jeux vidéo, c'est plus passionnant que la réalité. Quand on a 18 ans, comme Alex, et qu'on s'ennuie à mourir dans un petit trou de province, quoi de plus exaltant que de monter tous les soirs dans son avion de chasse supersonique et de défendre la "Frontière" contre les barbares de l'espace ?
"Ne prends pas tes désirs pour des réalités", lui dit
Published June 1st 1984 by Berkley (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Starfighter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Starfighter

Old Man's War by John ScalziStarship Troopers by Robert A. HeinleinDune by Frank HerbertPandora's Star by Peter F. HamiltonLeviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey
Excellent Space Opera
213th out of 398 books — 2,119 voters
Alien by Alan Dean FosterAliens by Alan Dean FosterThe Last Starfighter by Alan Dean FosterGoldenEye by John  GardnerBack To The Future by George Gipe
Best Movie Novelisations
3rd out of 63 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

Chris
Oct 26, 2008 Chris rated it liked it
Recommends it for: the few and proud that still consider The Last Starfighter relevant
Late August 2008: I’m sitting at home alone, I haven’t spoken in hours, I’m contentedly detached from the world with cobwebs forming on my cock as I stare unblinkingly at the television, a cigarette long burnt to the filter encrusted on my lower lip, my dinner half-eaten, cold, and now being dragged along the floor by my trio of fierce felines when they noticed I didn’t so much as attempt to stop them from pulling the pizza off the table, and the work clothes I laundered on permanent press are p ...more
Scott Rhee
I loved this movie as a kid. I remember owning a VHS copy that didn't last a year from the constant viewings. (Stupid VHS tapes, I'm GLAD you're an extinct technology!) Anyway, Alan Dean Foster's movie-tie-in novelization of "The Last Starfighter" was, as I recall, exactly like the movie. Like the movie, it was good. How's that for a glowing review?
Jonathan
May 13, 2016 Jonathan rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Honestly I haven't read this since I was a teenager. Now in my 30s it was close to two decades ago. As such I need to reread this because right now the details are a bit fuzzy.

I do remember the general story, and that I liked the book. It is a quick read, and was a small book for me even back then. Until I reread it I can't give it a better review, but just the fact that I am going to reread it warrents 3 stars.
Daniel McGill
Oct 18, 2015 Daniel McGill rated it liked it
Having enjoyed "Ready Player One", I intend to read Ernest Cline's "Armada" soon and figured I'd watch "The Last Starfighter" again before doing so when I remembered having read references to it as a book, probably on TV Tropes. I assumed it had been an obscure science fiction novel before receiving a film treatment but it turned out to be a novelization of the screenplay. Having already picked it up however and seeing that it was less than 200 pages and written at about a middle school level I ...more
Chris
Mar 07, 2014 Chris rated it liked it
The Last Starfighter is the story of Alex Rogan; an average teenager living in the middle of nowheresville USA. He spends his time doing odd jobs on his mother's trailer park bored out of his mind. His only joys in life are his girlfriend Maggie and a stand up arcade game in the park named 'Starfighter'. When Alex busts the top score on 'Starfighter' his life takes a completely unexpected turn when an alien from another world 'kidnaps' Alex and informs him that 'Starfighter' is not just a video ...more
Amy
Jul 30, 2015 Amy rated it liked it
Picked this up with an air of nostalgia having seen the movie years ago. The book is based and adapted on the movie screenplay and does a good job of filling in the gaps for readers. I can't quite give a movie adaption a high rating on principle but it could be rated higher for its character development and plot. Then again it has a very simple structure with few complications or surprises so, for a quick read that is entertaining I recommend this basic sci-fi story.
Victor Orozco
May 08, 2014 Victor Orozco rated it really liked it
Very good. A wonderful cult classic that deserved more success at the box office. With a wonderful score that still fills me up with joy I jumped at the chance to read this book.

As far as novelizations go, this was practically word for word. Still a very good story. B-
Bradley
Mar 01, 2014 Bradley rated it liked it
Not bad as far as horror goes I guess. Glad to see it gone.
Mark Palmer
I loved this book!
Kristian
Jul 11, 2016 Kristian rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
It is a short and easy to read kids book. And a good kids book. Many of us dreamt to be the ONE in many different scenarios and I guess the Starfighter scenario is well populated. I will keep this book handy for my offspring.
Csaba
Feb 19, 2014 Csaba rated it really liked it
good one.
the ending a bit too simple, but overall a nice book
CD
May 31, 2010 CD rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction, film
A good story; the movie had its moments. This is another from Foster where he shows his indecision about whether he wants to write long form movie treatments and then scripts or tell stories with prose.

Mel
Jun 23, 2014 Mel rated it liked it
Seems the movie stuck very close to the book from what I can remember.
It's a bit slow starting and all the action seems to happen in the last 4 chapters but it's a pretty good read.
Kevin
May 01, 2010 Kevin rated it did not like it
I have read this, but never seen the Last Starfighter. Perhaps this is indicative of the weakness of the source material, but this novelization did not leave me hankering for more.
Icarus
Jul 24, 2007 Icarus rated it liked it
Bizarrely, this novelization is quite a bit better than the novel it is derived from. But, as I mentioned in another review, Foster has always been good at novelizations.
Aaron
Jul 26, 2009 Aaron rated it it was ok
Shelves: childhood-reads
At some point early on I got into movie-adaptation books, particularly sci-fi stuff. Once a geek, always a geek.
Laura Emery
Sep 11, 2016 Laura Emery added it
Shelves: 2016
Charming trip down memory lane
Timothy Boyd
Great adaptation of the movie. Foster always adds alot of depth to these movie books. Recommended
Alexandra
Nov 29, 2007 Alexandra marked it as kids-books-research
This is actually a novelization of the movie, not a book adapted into a movie. The movie was cute.
Babete
Mar 09, 2011 Babete rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gostei do livro e também do filme!( O Último Guerreiro )
Kevin
Jan 12, 2011 Kevin rated it liked it
I loved this as a kid. I freely admit it's not very good.
Lee
Mar 02, 2011 Lee rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Pretty good, enjoyed it as light reading, like the movie.
David Overmyer
Jun 11, 2014 David Overmyer rated it really liked it
If you liked the movie, you'll love this book.
Abby
May 27, 2010 Abby rated it did not like it
Not a bad book. Was a "Copy the Movie" book.
James Hurley
Feb 19, 2010 James Hurley rated it really liked it
Better read than the movie was to watch!
Scribal
Jan 06, 2013 Scribal rated it did not like it
Shelves: junk-syfy
Really? And they made it a a movie?
George Fischer
Sep 02, 2012 George Fischer rated it liked it
Total nostalgia read for me.
Carlos Maduro
Carlos Maduro rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2016
  • Back to the Future, Part 3
  • The Khyber Connection (Time Wars, #6)
  • Blood Oath
  • Ladyhawke
  • Battlestar Galactica
  • To Dream in the City of Sorrows
  • Accusations
  • The Fleet (The Fleet, #1)
  • Castaways in Time (Castaways in Time, #1)
  • Janissaries (Janissaries, #1)
  • The Touch of Your Shadow, The Whisper of Your Name
  • Thrice Upon a Time
  • 100 Great Science Fiction Short Short Stories
  • Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #5)
  • Grounded (Star Trek: The Next Generation #25)
  • Back To The Future
  • Clark's Law
  • Dragonheart
Bestselling science fiction writer Alan Dean Foster was born in New York City in 1946, but raised mainly in California. He received a B.A. in Political Science from UCLA in 1968, and a M.F.A. in 1969. Foster lives in Arizona with his wife, but he enjoys traveling because it gives him opportunities to meet new people and explore new places and cultures. This interest is carried over to his writing, ...more
More about Alan Dean Foster...