Runaways, #2: Inferno adolescente

Runaways, #2: Inferno adolescente (Runaways #2)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  2,929 ratings  ·  115 reviews
Still on the run from their super-villain parents, this motley crew of super-powered kids finds a kindred spirit in a daring young stranger and welcomes him into their fold. But will this dashing young man help the teenagers defeat their villainous parents...or tear them apart? One troubled member finds out, as she leaves the group's hideout with their new recruit, who rev...more
Paperback
Published 2010 by Panini Comics (first published November 2004)

Kevin Fanning
One other thing I meant to mention in my review of Vol 1, but that's OK because it still carries over to Vol 2, is the situation with the mole inside the group, who is still loyal to the parents. I really like this idea, but they have a handwritten note from the teen, you're telling me NONE of the parents recognize the handwriting on it? And then in this volume the police guy won't be able to describe the voice he hears to the parents? I mention this not because it distracted from my reading, ju...more
Nikki
Still slight but fun. Interested in the developments with Karolina's character, though; I think I see where that's going, and I hope I'm right. I also have a suspicion about Alex's character development, and I'm not sure I like where that's going.

I do like the little nods to main Marvel continuity -- I don't know much about Cloak and Dagger, but it's still nice, and the references to the Avengers, etc, in the background.
Pam Davis
Previously in book 1: One night the families get together so the parents can have their annual meeting. The kids only see each other once a year and don’t look forward to having to hang out with each other. The kids become bored and decide to spy on their parents. While doing so they see their parents sacrifice a girl. They figure out their parents are members of a secret super villain society called The Pride. The kids fight with their parents, during the chase the kids find secret weapons of t...more
Myles
Like all good sequels, Volume 2 uses the same formula, doubles the mix and answers some questions.

I've said it in my review of Volume 1, but the Runaways really does a good job of modernizing the Marvel superhero format to appeal to jaded youngsters strung out on Shonen Jump and what passes for Nickelodeon these days.

...When did I get so old? Pretty soon I just might convince myself that the NES was superior to modern game consoles and that nu-metal was a good idea.
Jackie "the Librarian"
Apr 21, 2008 Jackie "the Librarian" rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: ages 13 and up
I am loving this Runaways series! In volume 2, the kids are hiding out from their evil villain parents. On a trip to get supplies, they meet another teen who seems to be at the mercy of evil parents. Or IS HE?
Meanwhile, their parents contact Cloak & Dagger, a superhero team, to track down their kids. I love the cracks about their superhero outfits! What will happen when they find them?
Another witty well-plotted entry in this teen series.
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

This series is just so much fun! The characters are great, the humor is wonderfully done, the adventures strike that balance between out of this world yet believable.

So glad I have volume 3 close at hand!!
Kate
Runaways vol 2 #7-12

Art: Chapters/comics 7-10 all is the same art as in the previous 6 comics however comics/chapters 11 and 12 have a gust artist takeshi miyazawa. So for the first six chapters the art work is like the first book intolerable and forgettable in fact in spots you may even find it hard to see that it is the same artwork because it looks different compared to book one even. the last two however is interesting like classic comic style with a slight manga flare the art work there is...more
Emily Green
Brian K. Vaughan’s Runaways: Teenage Wasteland continues the saga of a group of kids with super powers who have discovered that their parents are super villains, and therefore have run away. Worse than just being villains, their parents murdered a girl and have now blamed their missing children for her death.

In this volume, the kids decide to give themselves super hero names, fight some crime, and discover that the network working against them includes not only the media, but also law enforcemen...more
Cindy
I just can't seem to figure out the order of these volumes. Oh, well, it's not that hard to piece everything together.

So this is early in the saga right after the kids have found out their parents are evil and have run away and are immediately trying to fight crime and atone for their parents' evil deeds. First off, you see your parents kill someone and you immediately turn on them? Especially when it sounds like they were overall awesome parents? No wonder there's a mole; I'd be conflicted too....more
Cameron
Dang it, Runaways! I really want to like you. You've got lots of potential. Stop giving me reasons to abandon your story!

So, volume 2 continues the story of six young teenagers on the run from their actually evil parents all the while dealing with typical teenage anxieties (self discovery, independence, twoo wuv) as well as not so typical ones (finding out that your awesome battle gauntlets make it difficult to go to the bathroom, realizing that you have to constantly speak in references to clas...more
Fizzgig76
Reprints Runaways (1) #7-12 (December 2003-April 2004). The Runaways make a new recruit when they encounter a new superhuman boy named Topher whose parents are forcing him to commit crimes. The Runaways allow Topher in but discover Topher is hiding a secret himself. When the Pride’s lackey’s in the police decide to locate the Runaways, the ultimate runaways Cloak and Dagger make a West Coast trip to stop the superhuman kids. Plus, the Pride tries to determine who among their children is secretly...more
Ariel Acupan
Runaways: Vol. 1 Pride & Joy / Vol. 2 Teenage Wasteland

What if the parents that took care of you and love you turned out to be BAD?

Same dillema happens to a group of kids ,age 11 to 15, when their parents turned out to be super-powered villains. They've witnessed a ritual where a girl was killed. Would you turn them over to the cops or would you just ignore the fact that your parents just murdered someone?

VOLUME 1: Pride & Joy

I've re-read it 3 times already and never get tired of it eve...more
Jeff Lanter
The second volume of Runaways is maybe slightly weaker in plot and lacking some of the suspense of the first story arc, but it makes up for it in sheer entertainment value. The dialogue is really sharp and funny. There are several jokes about superhero cliches and the Marvel universe that really stand out. The pacing is pretty fast so you never get bored. It also helps that there are two shorter stories collected in this volume. One is a vampire story which is pretty by the numbers and the other...more
Ryan
Volume 2 of Runaways picks up pretty much exactly where the first one left off, with the Runaways settling into their new home away from home and trying to decide what to do to fight off the evil influence of their parents. While trying to do so, they encounter Topher, a kid with a story rather similar to their own - supervillian parents who had forced him into a life of crime. But all is not what is seems, of course, and the Runaways end up facing their greatest challenge to date. The last stor...more
Jackson Radish
I really liked this and am excited to keep reading the series (like who is the mole?!).

There were a couple things that confused me though:

1: Is it just me, or were the first few chapters (or, like, first half of the book) from the last volume? Like, I could swear I read about that vampire kid in the last volume, but maybe I'm imagining things because I did put it down for like a month after I started reading it and then start again.

2: The art just randomly changed in the last 2 chapters and I k...more
Victoria (FilmGameJunkies)
This is the second set of six comics from the Runaways series collected into one volume and continues on from the first collection Pride and Joy. The story contiunes the same arc as the first following the "runaways" as they encounter the first threat, besides their parents, from outside the group.

This volume expands on the characters and their powers and shows that not only the parents are going to be a problem for the group. The group dynamics are shown developing as each member tries to find...more
Allison
John Opalenik
As with many "volume 2"s, this one gives us an idea of the scope of the series and basically what we're in for until the series begins to wind down.
Douggoodmannet
This feels like a second act: a bunch of obstacles thrown against the heroes, but by the end, you're no farther along than you were when you began.
Erin
Nice story but I think I am done for a bit. will have to remember to come back to this later.
Sharon
7th-adult. The second volume in the Runaways series is just as fun as the first. The question still remains, which of the teens is still loyal to the Pride? The cameo visit by the original runaway teen superheroes Cloak and Dagger is a nice touch. Best line ever- Cloak and Dagger and the Runaways start to figure out that they're on the same side. Slow to the realization, one of the teens isn't ready to make friends..."Hands off, Talkback. We don't need anymore meaningless punching." "Yeah, then...more
Scotty
The storyline continues to be engaging and a fun ride. I thought the author was up to something with the addition of a new character and I liked still being surprised by it. Eager to continue with the series.
Jessica
Hey, my first graphic novel! It was fun, actually. The writing was kind of witty, and the the idea of finding out that your loving parents are, in fact, the bad guys in the superhero stories is interesting. ("Imagine finding out that the people who gave you a clown for your seventh birthday are actually evil super-villains.")

I would have liked to see more of the parents in soccer mom mode and less in super-villain mode, and I was really disoriented by the illustrator switch mid-book. But a fun,...more
B
It seems pretty clear who is the traitor. So, is that all a red herring? I would suspect so.

I would suspect so.

This book certainly made me want to continue to see what happens. It's clear that this has all been plotted out pretty far.

There is a certain weirdness in the Marvel Universe that most superheroes are white men living in New York, such that the idea that these six supervillains of only moderately high level power control every level of Southern California. But go with it, man. Go with...more
Rodrigo
Divertido

No tan bueno como el primero pero sigue siendo entretenido con varios puntos de suspenso que te mantienen pendiente de lo que va a pasar.
Holden Attradies
More of the same and just as good. We have some questions answered which is rewarding, and we have some questions raised which leaves us wanting to read more. We have some great character development, as well as power development.

I was also a big fan of the inclusion of Cloak and Dagger, and I liked how they kind of poked fun at them being C list heroes in the Marvel universe. The series so far seems very much it's own thing, yet part of the bigger Marvel Universe.
Bruce M
Runaways continues it's run with no discernible drop in quality. It's still a fun, light book, despite dealing with potentially heavy topics. Adrian Alphona's artwork continues to suit the book perfectly, and Takeshi Miyazawa handles this book's second arc equally well.

Vaughan's up to his usual tricks writing witty dialogue that's full of pop-culture references and banter. The stories themselves, I think, work very well considering their target is a YA audience.
Susan
It's novel, I have to say! I don't think I've ever seen anything from the point of view of the supervillains kids - well, I've seen characters who've become superheroes in response to parents being supervillains, but not quite like this! Anyway, the pacing feels awkward, and the story itself has some issues. Some things are slightly predictable, and some things make me boggle a little...

(Full review at: http://community.livejournal.com/book... )
Esther Yam
This one was very fast paced, taking the teens all the way down to Marvel's version of hell. The vigilantes Cloak and Dagger, I felt could have been fleshed out more, but I assume this will be addressed in the coming editions. Niko and tech-dude's romance on the other hand felt very forced and I think whoever decided that was a good idea was sorely mistaken.

Oh well. Might wait a bit for the next issue while I make my way through the rest of the Fables series :)
  • Runaways, Vol. 8: Dead End Kids (Runaways, #8)
  • Runaways, Vol. 10: Rock Zombies (Runaways, #10)
  • Runaways, Vol. 11: Homeschooling (Runaways, #11)
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 3: Reach for the Stars
  • Civil War: Young Avengers/Runaways
  • Young Avengers, Vol. 2: Family Matters (Young Avengers, #2)
  • Avengers Academy, Vol 2: Will We Use This in the Real World?
  • Secret Invasion: Runaways/Young Avengers
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 2: Road Trip
  • Young Avengers Presents (Young Avengers Presents)
  • X-Factor: Time and a Half
  • Dark Reign: Young Avengers
  • Invincible, Vol. 4: Head of the Class
  • Morning Glories, Vol. 3: P.E.
  • X-23: Target X
  • Captain Marvel, Vol. 2: Down
Born in Cleveland in 1976, Brian K. Vaughan is the Eisner, Harvey, and Shuster Award-winning writer and co-creator of the critically acclaimed comics series Y: The Last Man, Runaways, and Ex Machina (picked as one of the ten best works of fiction of 2005 by Entertainment Weekly).

Recently named "Writer of the Year" by Wizard Magazine, and one of the “top ten comic writers of all time” by Comic Boo...more
More about Brian K. Vaughan...
Y: The Last Man, Vol. 1: Unmanned (Y: The Last Man, #1) Saga, Volume 1 Y: The Last Man, Vol. 2: Cycles (Y: The Last Man, #2) Y: The Last Man, Vol. 5: Ring of Truth (Y: The Last Man, #5) Y: The Last Man, Vol. 8: Kimono Dragons (Y: The Last Man, #8)