Start by marking “Runaways, #2: Inferno adolescente” as Want to Read:
Runaways, #2: Inferno adolescente

Runaways, #2: Inferno adolescente (Runaways #2)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  4,078 ratings  ·  176 reviews
Still on the run from their super-villain parents, this motley crew of super-powered kids finds a kindred spirit in a daring young stranger and welcomes him into their fold. But will this dashing young man help the teenagers defeat their villainous parents...or tear them apart? One troubled member finds out, as she leaves the group's hideout with their new recruit, who rev ...more
Paperback
Published 2010 by Panini Comics (first published November 2004)

Sh3lly (Not all those who wander are lost)
The kids are still running from their villainous parents, who are members of a mysterious organization called the Pride (I want to learn more about them). They're still experimenting with their powers and mutant abilities. In this one, they meet a vampire and a "b-list" hero duo called Cloak and Dagger.

I love this series! There's a lot of humor, pop culture references, and even Captain America and Black Widow get name-dropped. My library, for some reason, has all of these but volume 3, and it's
Sam Quixote
Alex, Gertrude, Karolina, Chase, Molly and Nico are The Runaways, hiding out from their newly revealed supervillain parents aka The Pride. Are murderous supervillain parents with seemingly unlimited resources the biggest threat to these teenagers? No, it’s a cute boy!! Ohmigod Topher is like so hawt, sploosh! As the girls’ bickering over the new kid on the block threatens to break up the group, a pair of Z-list heroes called Cloak and Dagger are hired by The Pride to track down the Runaways.

The
Elizabeth
A good follow-on that keeps up the fun but possibly strays a little too far into the ridiculous at moments.
Mike
Not as exciting as Vaughan's second volume of Saga, but has enough momentum from the core story (super-villain parents chasing after their runaway do-gooder kids) to keep me interested in reading the next volume.

I rolled my eyes pretty hard at the teenage romance-politics+angst sideline, which is where I lost my love-for-all-Vaughan-comics innocence here. I remember being that young (barely) and I remember wondering what it would be like to actually have a girl that interested in me - so maybe p
Kevin Fanning
One other thing I meant to mention in my review of Vol 1, but that's OK because it still carries over to Vol 2, is the situation with the mole inside the group, who is still loyal to the parents. I really like this idea, but they have a handwritten note from the teen, you're telling me NONE of the parents recognize the handwriting on it? And then in this volume the police guy won't be able to describe the voice he hears to the parents? I mention this not because it distracted from my reading, ju ...more
Nikki
Still slight but fun. Interested in the developments with Karolina's character, though; I think I see where that's going, and I hope I'm right. I also have a suspicion about Alex's character development, and I'm not sure I like where that's going.

I do like the little nods to main Marvel continuity -- I don't know much about Cloak and Dagger, but it's still nice, and the references to the Avengers, etc, in the background.
Marcelo Sanchez
Cuando crítico un comic, procuro leerlo al menos dos veces antes de hacerlo.
Esta vez no. Tengo mejores cosas que leer.
Me encanta Vaughan, así que le voy a echar la culpa de esto al comite editorial.
El universo Marvel entra a la fuerza a una historia que estaba desesperadamente intentando mantenerlo a raya. Vemos un par de superheroes que metieron por que calzaban, y porque estaban disponibles. La historia usa fuertemente el hecho de que la costa oeste queda muy lejos de Nueva York y las ciudades
Pam Davis
Previously in book 1: One night the families get together so the parents can have their annual meeting. The kids only see each other once a year and don’t look forward to having to hang out with each other. The kids become bored and decide to spy on their parents. While doing so they see their parents sacrifice a girl. They figure out their parents are members of a secret super villain society called The Pride. The kids fight with their parents, during the chase the kids find secret weapons of t ...more
Myles
Like all good sequels, Volume 2 uses the same formula, doubles the mix and answers some questions.

I've said it in my review of Volume 1, but the Runaways really does a good job of modernizing the Marvel superhero format to appeal to jaded youngsters strung out on Shonen Jump and what passes for Nickelodeon these days.

...When did I get so old? Pretty soon I just might convince myself that the NES was superior to modern game consoles and that nu-metal was a good idea.
Jackie "the Librarian"
Apr 21, 2008 Jackie "the Librarian" rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ages 13 and up
I am loving this Runaways series! In volume 2, the kids are hiding out from their evil villain parents. On a trip to get supplies, they meet another teen who seems to be at the mercy of evil parents. Or IS HE?
Meanwhile, their parents contact Cloak & Dagger, a superhero team, to track down their kids. I love the cracks about their superhero outfits! What will happen when they find them?
Another witty well-plotted entry in this teen series.
Artemiy Nizovtsev
Previous volume was fine, but this one gets noticeably worse. First off, the main story almost did not progress. All the kids are still in hiding, we don't know much more about their parents' motivations than we did before, and this stupid intrigue about the mole in the group really starts to get annoying. Come on, it is SO OBVIOUS! Vaughan practically doesn't hide it at all.

The title arc of the book feels like a 4-issue filler, and it is way too soon in the series for these to start showing up.
Fantasy Literature
Almost every teenager has a point where he or she decides that parents are either evil, or the lackeys of evil. In the case of six young people in Marvel’s RUNAWAYS, they discover to their shock that their parents truly are, and not just garden variety evil, either; the parents are costumed super-villains. At the end of the first volume of this comic book series collection, the Runaways have gathered information and weapons, and have gone into hiding in a secret hideout. Unbeknownst to them, tho ...more
William Redd
Here we have the second collected series for the first run of Runaways. The kids are taking time to formulate a plan in Chase's hideaway, "The Hostel," a giant mansion that sank after a bad earthquake years ago. Then, on a food run, they wind up foiling a robbery and discovering another kid who claims he was misled by evil parents. This particular kid has a dark secret, though.

We get to know a little more about the dynamics of this group of kids who don't really like each other and have now been
Noe
Not surprisingly, I enjoyed this volume much better than the first! After having setup the table with all the necessary characters, we dive into the action with our trouble band of teenage heroes. I was pleasantly surprised with Miyazawa's art, it was cutesy and very manga-like, which I guess it's no surprise, since this was aimed at manga readers in Marvel's defunct Tsunami imprint.

Two 'B-List' superheroes make an appearance and it is up to our young heroes to set things straight, but just whe
Nicole Field
These little books are so easy to read. I almost read all of this on my lunch break yesterday.

While not as punchy as the first one, I think it mostly felt that way due to the fact that the two major plot hooks didn't really pay off. First, we see newcomer Topher come into the band. After what seems like too short a time, he reveals he's not everything he seems, and most definitely will not be sticking around to hang out with our heroes.

Almost immediately after that, the gang run into Cloak and
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

This series is just so much fun! The characters are great, the humor is wonderfully done, the adventures strike that balance between out of this world yet believable.

So glad I have volume 3 close at hand!!
Jedhua
My Brief Bookshelf Overview: amusing, exciting-premise, hell-of-a-ride, likable-or-deep-characters, mellow, playful, unrealized-potential

While a somewhat pleasant read, it was disappointing not to find any substantial growth towards the potential I felt was promised by the previous volume. And since most of the novelty factor had worn off after Runaways, Vol. 1: Pride and Joy, there wasn't much there to hold my interest.
Gervan
Alex is so annoying omg. Dude, what even is your contribution to the group? Not to mention his relationship with Nico is so typically... teenage? On the bright side we saw Karolina get a little deeper and more rounded out. I think I know who she likes, we'll see if I'm right. Also, the second arc with Cloak and Dagger felt really.. anticlimactic? Maybe I'm just too accustomed to manga and long, drawn out encounters between characters. Things seem to be picking up though. Mrs Wilder is pretty muc ...more
Kayleigh
SPOILERS FOR PREVIOUS VOLUMES

I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about this series. The basic story progression is interesting enough as is the struggle the kids are having coming to terms with their new found powers and their parents real identities but there is still something lacking. I do love that it seems to realistically tap into that conflicting moment when teenagers realise their parents are people with a life outside their role as mother/father and that adults aren't automatically
Matthew Lloyd
Part 2 of Marvel's Runaways keeps us firmly in teen-supergroup territory: the internal group divisions start to play out when a new young boy joins the group. It's great for establishing the character dynamics, although the threat is a little weak. As ever with the Pride's kids (all teenagers?), it's their own powers and frustrations which are their real enemy. Brian K. Vaughan has learned a lot from Joss Whedon, and it shows in this story (and is openly acknowledged).

I suppose the characters we
Kate
Runaways vol 2 #7-12

Art: Chapters/comics 7-10 all is the same art as in the previous 6 comics however comics/chapters 11 and 12 have a gust artist takeshi miyazawa. So for the first six chapters the art work is like the first book intolerable and forgettable in fact in spots you may even find it hard to see that it is the same artwork because it looks different compared to book one even. the last two however is interesting like classic comic style with a slight manga flare the art work there is
Emily Green
Brian K. Vaughan’s Runaways: Teenage Wasteland continues the saga of a group of kids with super powers who have discovered that their parents are super villains, and therefore have run away. Worse than just being villains, their parents murdered a girl and have now blamed their missing children for her death.

In this volume, the kids decide to give themselves super hero names, fight some crime, and discover that the network working against them includes not only the media, but also law enforcemen
Cindy
I just can't seem to figure out the order of these volumes. Oh, well, it's not that hard to piece everything together.

So this is early in the saga right after the kids have found out their parents are evil and have run away and are immediately trying to fight crime and atone for their parents' evil deeds. First off, you see your parents kill someone and you immediately turn on them? Especially when it sounds like they were overall awesome parents? No wonder there's a mole; I'd be conflicted too.
Cameron
Dang it, Runaways! I really want to like you. You've got lots of potential. Stop giving me reasons to abandon your story!

So, volume 2 continues the story of six young teenagers on the run from their actually evil parents all the while dealing with typical teenage anxieties (self discovery, independence, twoo wuv) as well as not so typical ones (finding out that your awesome battle gauntlets make it difficult to go to the bathroom, realizing that you have to constantly speak in references to clas
Fizzgig76
Reprints Runaways (1) #7-12 (December 2003-April 2004). The Runaways make a new recruit when they encounter a new superhuman boy named Topher whose parents are forcing him to commit crimes. The Runaways allow Topher in but discover Topher is hiding a secret himself. When the Pride’s lackey’s in the police decide to locate the Runaways, the ultimate runaways Cloak and Dagger make a West Coast trip to stop the superhuman kids. Plus, the Pride tries to determine who among their children is secretly ...more
Ariel Acupan
Runaways: Vol. 1 Pride & Joy / Vol. 2 Teenage Wasteland

What if the parents that took care of you and love you turned out to be BAD?

Same dillema happens to a group of kids ,age 11 to 15, when their parents turned out to be super-powered villains. They've witnessed a ritual where a girl was killed. Would you turn them over to the cops or would you just ignore the fact that your parents just murdered someone?

VOLUME 1: Pride & Joy

I've re-read it 3 times already and never get tired of it eve
Michael
6/10 (OK)

I'm a bit torn with this series. While the concept is pretty cool, the story itself is just so-so. The series lacks bite; it just doesn't have any teeth. I'm not ready to give up on it just yet though. I still think it has potential. The main characters need to be placed in mortal danger and really be pushed to their limits. If and when that happens, I believe the series will break free from it's after school special feel.
Jeff Lanter
The second volume of Runaways is maybe slightly weaker in plot and lacking some of the suspense of the first story arc, but it makes up for it in sheer entertainment value. The dialogue is really sharp and funny. There are several jokes about superhero cliches and the Marvel universe that really stand out. The pacing is pretty fast so you never get bored. It also helps that there are two shorter stories collected in this volume. One is a vampire story which is pretty by the numbers and the other ...more
Jesse Lehrer
Still solid, still intriguing, the plot is a little shaky and uses too many easy solutions that just kinda...happen! Where would the plot be without this mysterious mole who can basically do and say whatever they want to ensure the plot doesn't fall apart, apparently.

Still, I definitely want to see what happens, the art is fitting and good, and the characters are fun. Nothing special, but definitely enjoyable.
  • Runaways, Vol. 8: Dead End Kids (Runaways, #8)
  • Runaways, Vol. 10: Rock Zombies (Runaways, #10)
  • Runaways, Vol. 11: Homeschooling (Runaways, #11)
  • Secret Invasion: Runaways/Young Avengers
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 3: Reach for the Stars
  • Civil War: Young Avengers/Runaways
  • Young Avengers, Vol. 2: Family Matters (Young Avengers, #2)
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 2: Road Trip
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 4: Ends of the Earth
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 5: Boundaries
  • Young Avengers Presents (Young Avengers Presents)
  • X-Factor: The Longest Night
  • Invincible, Vol. 6: A Different World
  • Princeless Book 2: Get Over Yourself (Princeless, Vol. 2)
Born in Cleveland in 1976, Brian K. Vaughan is the Eisner, Harvey, and Shuster Award-winning writer and co-creator of the critically acclaimed comics series Y: The Last Man, Runaways, and Ex Machina (picked as one of the ten best works of fiction of 2005 by Entertainment Weekly).

Recently named "Writer of the Year" by Wizard Magazine, and one of the “top ten comic writers of all time” by Comic Boo
More about Brian K. Vaughan...

Runaways (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Runaways, Vol. 1: Pride and Joy (Runaways, #1)
  • Runaways, Vol. 3: The Good Die Young (Runaways, #3)
  • Runaways, Vol. 4: True Believers (Runaways, #4)
  • Runaways, Vol. 5: Escape to New York (Runaways, #5)
  • Runaways, Vol. 6: Parental Guidance (Runaways, #6)
  • Runaways, Vol. 7: Live Fast (Runaways, #7)
  • Runaways, Vol. 8: Dead End Kids (Runaways, #8)
  • Runaways, Vol. 9: Dead Wrong (Runaways, #9)
  • Runaways, Vol. 10: Rock Zombies (Runaways, #10)
  • Runaways, Vol. 11: Homeschooling (Runaways, #11)
Y: The Last Man, Vol. 1: Unmanned (Y: The Last Man, #1) Saga, Volume 1 Saga, Volume 2 Saga #1 Y: The Last Man, Vol. 2: Cycles (Y: The Last Man, #2)