Start by marking “Broken Laces” as Want to Read:
Broken Laces

Broken Laces

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  511 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Everyone deserves a second chance. Jack "The Cannon" Kennedy thinks he's living the American Dream. A fancy house in the Houston suburbs. A promising career. And a loving wife who tolerates his long hours and selfish ways. In one horrific instant, he loses his wife. Then his job. Then his hope. And that just leaves Kellen, the young son Jack hardly knows or understands. Ja ...more
Published November 9th 2010 by Redstone Ranch Press

To ask other readers questions about Broken Laces, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Broken Laces

Jeff Dawson
I read the book last winter. I was torn between a four star and five star review. I really understand who Jack is. I went back to the days of coaching and realized in my last year of coaching that life was taking its' toll. Divorced, single parent, and a struggling company. I had become " Jack" in that last season. I was being way to hard on the boys and my son. It finally boiled over in a game to the point one of the assistants called me out during the game. I realized it was time to step down ...more
R.L.
Rodney Walther has written a good book about a boy and his father and baseball. If any writer can make me cry, it’s Rodney. Once I read a short story he wrote and in three pages I was bawling. He has hit a home run with Broken Laces. It’s about a man wrapped up in himself (I can’t imagine – how unrealistic, right?). Jack can’t get off the phone long enough to have any real-time with his sweet family. Then he witnesses his wife killed in a car accident. To top it off, he loses his job. He is lost ...more
Francis T. Villante
Healing relationships

this is a good story about an eight year old boy and his father trying to have a father son relationship after the untimely death of the mother and wife respectively. the mom being the main caretaker for the first eight years of the boy's life after her death. the father is forced into playing both roles of juggling the son's schedule and his physical and emotional needs along with the fathers demanding schedule. it goes thru the trials and tribulations of being a single par
Marlene Cullen
Broken Laces is writing from the heart. An honest look at loss and how it affects loved ones, not sugar-coated nor rosy glasses, but a straight forward look at how a woman's death affects her husband and son.

Here's an excerpt:

"My wife was a smart woman — I absolutely adored her — but she didn't understand the first thing about sports. Baseball wasn't about fun. She couldn't appreciate that hard work and overcoming disappointment built character, that coddling a boy didn't grown him into a man."
Pamela Hutchins
I think this is a beautiful, well-written book of loss, love, and fatherly redemption, surprisingly written by a man. The emotional depth is my favorite aspect of this book that will appeal to women everywhere.
Bookmom
Due to his job, Jack is away from the house about 12 hours a day. It doesn't leave him a lot of time to be with his family, something his wife complained about often enough. When his wife dies in a car accident, Jack discovers he really doesn't know his 7 year-old son, nor does he know how to be a parent. The book is about the struggle and mistakes Jack makes with his son while dealing with his own grief. Jack hopes baseball, something he'd been very good at in his youth until his hand was injur ...more
Mary Anne

an interesting , quick read. Baseball is the backdrop of the story, but it is actually a story of fathers and sons. The main character is not very likable and seems to have more growing up to do than his 7 year old son. A good story if you are looking for something a little different.
Two things that sort of bugged me in this book - part way through Jack loses his job. For most people this is a traumatic event and their would be major repercussions - financial, loss of health insurance and menta
M.M. Mayle
BROKEN LACES is a deftly constructed novel in the traditions of Nicholas Sparks and Jodi Picault. Author Rodney Walther ably executes a textbook story arc on which to display his ease with the subject matter.

Protagonist Jack Kennedy is met with monumental calamity and challenge upon the sudden death of his wife, mother of Kellen, his only child. Infected with the shallow suburban mentality that ranks hollow emblems of material success above solid investments on the personal side of the ledger, J
Kathy Roling
I thought Jack was a selfish jerk who couldn't be there for his son. He was like a lot of Little League parents who think the kids should be able to play at a higher level than they're capable. Surprising that Jack could not bring himself to tell his eight year old son that he loved him but at the same time felt his own father didn't appreciate or love him.
Dani Grim
This book was very frustrating for me. The protagonist loses his wife early in the story and is left to raise the son he hadn't really gotten to know before his wife's death. The story was good and an easy read, but it was rather predictable. More frustrating than predictability - details left untended (i.e., he learns from the coroner's report that his wife was six weeks pregnant ... that is never mentioned again) and really rotten-daddy behavior glossed over (i.e., in one breath he recognizes ...more
N. Sasson
This isn't a story about baseball, but a story in which baseball shapes and defines one man's life. I read Broken Laces in a little over a day - which is unusually fast for me. I was drawn into Jack's unfortunate circumstances and immediately began rooting for him. Just when I thought maybe he was going to pull through and begin on a path to a better life, he managed to muck things up - not because his intentions weren't good, but because he still had a lot to learn about life and relationships. ...more
jenny karpenske
Not just a book about baseball

Very touching story about a father and son moving on after tragedy struck. Jack became the father he needed to be for his son, and got a second chance at love.
Cindy Feigert
Because I am a baseball fan I liked this book. At times I was ready for the story to move a little faster but I really like how the author finished the book and the main character redeemed himself.
Kelly

By it’s over dramatized effect on the main characters inability to hit a curveball, the first paragraph shows the importance of baseball to the characters. This is a nice segway into how baseball will affect the lives of the characters to come. Rodney Walther sucks you right into the book after the first page.

Check out my review on Blogger

Jennifer Volz
A good book about reality. The loss and emotional healing of a father and son. Good read.
Heather
This book was well written but there was something that held me back from REALLY enjoying it, it was a three star read until the end which satisfied me enough to bring it up to a four star. I have no knowledge nor interest in baseball, maybe this book would appeal to Americans a little more as it's an American sport? I don't know, but the subject of baseball being so Central was certainly central to why I held myself back from this book, some of it was SO mind numbingly boring to me. Those aside ...more
Carolyn
I don't like the main character. He is everything in a man that I don't like -- arrogant, insensitive, not willing to listen and I don't think he even likes his son. Some of his traits may be due to the fact that his wife died unexpectedly, but I think he was pretty much the same when she was alive. I will finish the book because I don't allow myself to quit a book in the middle, but it sure won't ever be on my "favoirtes list."
Diana
Having grown up in this part of Texas, I wanted to read this book. That said, I had a very difficult time trying to like the main character. He was selfish, arrogant, immature and extremely self-centered. Having lost a spouse myself, I found his depth of grief to be unrealistic and shallow. The story line was interesting but the main character was a jerk.
Tara
I thought I had bought a totally different book through my Kindle app but this turned out to be pretty good.

SPOILER:

I thought that the character of the father seemed to move on awfully quickly after his wife's death and for that reason I found the ending of the book to be a little un-realistic. Apart from that...it was not bad
Tina Clarke
Really enjoyed this one! The story begins tragically as a (selfish, workaholic) man looses his wife and the mother of his young child. He struggles to work through his grief, keep his job and become both father and mother to this little boy. Heart wrenching, yet hopeful - you just want this guy to get his crap together. A really beautiful story.
Lorraine
For me this was just a mediocre novel. It reminded me a bit of a Nicolas Sparks novel. It is about the relationship of a father and his young son after his wife is killed in a car accident. The arrogance of the father really bothered me. For me it was just lukewarm writing.
Christina Anderson
A friend recommend this and related it to Jodi Picoult's books. It was an easy read and enjoyable. I thought it started and ended well but felt the climax of the plot could have been a little deeper but overall I recommend, especially since it was free to borrow on amazon prime.
Maureen Robertson
This was sometimes hard to read as it is the story of a father learning about his son after his wife dies. It was difficult to see a dad making the same mistakes over and over again. If you like baseball and little league you will relate to this book.
Cindy
over all i liked this book. since i'm a baseball fan i could connect with that part of the book. about the middle of the book i was ready for it to be over but the suthor and the main character redeemed themselves in the latter half of the book.
Kim Casey
This was a good book, but not a favorite. It is told from the point of view of a man who lost his wife. How he reflects on himself as a father and how he is going to live his life for the better. Lesson learned...don't take advantage of life.
Nina
The beginning of the story had my interest. Interest faded in the middle of the book, making it difficult for me to continue but picked up again towards the end. Some surprising moments but the ending was easily foreseen.
Brenda
A father loses the love of his life and must learn to deal with his young son's loss as well as his own. He must deal with his past and what those actions caused as well as his behavior now.
Lisa
A much better book than I expected going in. Still the story line was predictable, the ending predictable. A quick read - didn't require a lot of attention or thinking to read this one.
Kaitlyn
I was waiting for something to actually happen in this book but nothing ever did. I felt like it was building up to something good and never climaxed. So, it thought it was really boring.
Ashley
Very moving book, tells a heart-wrenching story, and this time through the eyes of a father which seems unique. ALl the baseball didnt' hurt either!
  • Vengeance
  • Grave Situation
  • Legacy Lane (Hart's Crossing #1)
  • The Edge Of Trust (Team Edge series, #1)
  • The Initiate (Cloud Prophet Trilogy, #0.5) (The Song of Eloh Saga, #1)
  • Blue Moon Bay (Moses Creek, #2)
  • The Family Greene
  • Where Darkness Dwells
  • Angel
  • Darkness on the Edge of Town (Laura Cardinal #1)
  • Her Nowhere
  • Serial Killers Uncut
  • Always the Last to Know (Always the Bridesmaid, #1)
  • Cheer: A Novel
  • Kill & Cure
  • Wading Home: A Novel of New Orleans
  • When Angels Cry
  • Dreams Unleashed (The Prophecies, #1)
author of best-selling novel BROKEN LACES and SPACE IN THE HEART
More about Rodney Walther...
Space in the Heart Und nach den Tränen das Glück Broken Laces - excerpt from 2011 Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award Entry