Younger Next Year: A Guide to Living Like 50 Until You're 80 and Beyond

Younger Next Year: A Guide to Living Like 50 Until You're 80 and Beyond

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  795 ratings  ·  184 reviews

Turn back your biological clock. A breakthrough book for men--as much fun to read as it is persuasive--Younger Next Year draws on the very latest science of aging to show how men 50 or older can become functionally younger every year for the next five to ten years, and continue to live like fifty-year-olds until well into their eighties. To enjoy life and be stronger, heal...more
MP3 Book, 0 pages
Published October 23rd 2004 by HighBridge Company (first published January 1st 2004)

Bob Collins
Terrific book. By a (then) 70 year old and his doctor. Really motivated me to get moving and start exercising again. I did and I am. What the doctor said that had most impact to me: 70% + of the affects of old age are voluntary! They can be mitigated by lifestyle changes.

I decided I didn't want to sign up for the negative effects of getting older, so I've made the changes, loss massive amounts of weight, improved my eating habits and feel wonderful.

The thing that Chris said that had the biggest...more
Clif Hostetler
This book is co-authored by two men. Henry S. Lodge, M.D. provides the level headed, scientifically sound, commentary while the other co-author, Chris Crowley, spouts out the "mano-e-mano" pep-talk targeted at the reader's male ego. I say male ego because this book is specifically aimed at men who are 50 or over contemplating retirement, growing old, and dying.

The promise of this book is that if the male reader gets with the program they can live, as indicated by the book's subtitle, "Like 50 U...more
Walt
A friend (who unbeknownst to me hadn't read it) mentioned this book, I like to see what my friends are up to, so I read it. Wow, I was ready (as the jacket blurb warns), this book has changed my life. The wisdom of this book can be summed up as follows:
1. Engage in daily demanding physical activity-tell your body to grow. 2. Don't engage in daily demanding physical activity-tell your body to decay. 3. Choose.
You'll notice that I didn't use the word exercise here, that was on purpose because th...more
CX Dillhunt
Reluctantly, I give this 3 stars; I hated reading it, and much is very poorly written & poorly presented from the large type to the rambling, repetitious chapters; I think Chris Crowley is pompous, sexist (read pig trying to hard at "guy talk"), arrogant & full of hot air, but perhaps just a great foil for Harry the MD; the research on the brain & cell deterioration is important...and a lot of the rest we've heard before...FOR THE GOOD PARTS EDITION: read Harry's Chap 18, "The Limbic...more
Brian Morton
While this book was meant for 50plus retirees, it shared valuable information on how you should live in order to ebb the incoming tide of aging. Basically it said there are four musts to staying young. 1. Exercise (at least 4 days of cardio, 2 days of weights a week)
2. Don't eat things you know you shouldn't (fast food, trans fats, refined starches,etc)
3. Be a part of a social group.
4. Find something you are passionate about and do it. (unless it is binge drinking)

The book delved into the scien...more
Brad Lyerla
You don't need to read this. All you need to know is that there is compelling science showing that most of us can maintain the equivalent health and fitness of a 50 year old until we are 80 by exercising, eating better, having sex and being happy. The surprise is that an 80 year old can be every bit as fit as a 50 year old. But the authors swear it's true and cite a lot of data to support the assertion. One other surprise might be that you have to work out six days a week. Hard. And at least two...more
Elle Saverini
Give this book to every man you care about. Period.

Already confirms the way I've lived most of my life, and I look at least ten if not fifteen yrs younger than I am; (depends upon pt of reference)
The best news is that even joint pain improves if one doesn't shy away from the challenge of exercise. Just bought my new Nikes today. Funny, but I keep hearing a voice in my head chanting, "10K, 10K, 10K..." (translation: a 10 kilometer footrace;)

PS: I was 57 in August. Foto taken just 2 yrs ago in Gr...more
Jon Spoelstra
This is probably the most important book I've read in the lasts decade. It talks plain sense on how to be younger next year. I adopted many of their suggestions with terrific results. I've also handed out this book to geezer friends of mine so that they won't give up golf because of getting old (I need their money). You can get it in paper or on Amazon Kindle. There's a separate edition for men and women. Buy it now so that you can have years reading all the fun books out there. www.geezer-lit.c...more
Tony
I read this book at the recommendation of some of my fit Sigma Chi friends. So I borrowed a well used copy from our trainer at FIT in Farmington, Allen.

The book is written by an MD and one of his patients, an older gentleman in his 70's who has changed his lifestyle by doing, among other things, vigorous exercise six days a week.

The premise of the book is that our bodies are constantly either growing or decaying, even as we get into our 70's and beyond. And we can either be healthy and active in...more
Andy
Just finished "Younger Next Year" and found the information to be practical and knowledge based. Henry's rules are summed up neatly, in the appendix, as

1) Exercise six days as week for the rest of your life.
2) Do serious aerobic exercise four days a week for the rest of your life.
3) Do serious strength training, with weights, two days a week for the rest of your life.
4) Spend less than you make.
5) Quit eating crap.
6) Care.
7) Connect and Commit.

I have heard the rules in different forms and from...more
Jeff Kelleher
Worth reading even if you think you know it all.

There are a thousand get-and-stay-younger books. Their core advice is mostly the same: don't smoke, exercise, eat right, be happy and engaged. The differences are in the target audience, the tone of the cheerleading, and the details.

Here, the target audience is men in their 50s and up. The cheerleading tone is "between us guys." The rest of the core advice is also here, but there are some major departures in the details.

First, exercise is held to b...more
Norm
I found a lot to like in this book, but I also have a problem with some its assertions, especially about exercise.

On the positive side, I like the dual approach the authors take, alternating between Chris's lively - and often funny - pep-talks and Harry's cool presentation of the science supporting their recommendations. Both authors come across as genuinely interested in coaxing and cajoling the reader into taking positive action to improve his health (the book is geared mainly toward men in t...more
Derek Grzelewski
It is rare to write about a book years after it was originally published unless it is one that changed lives for better and for good. Three years ago a friend gave me a copy of Younger Next Year with a note “you must read this.” It turned out I was to be just one in the succession of the book’s owners because, after reading, I too passed it on to another close friend. My note was a bit longer: “you must read it, especially now that you’ve turned 50.”

Younger Next Year is written as a dialogue be...more
Daryl Nash
The target audience for this book are men 60-70, newly or soon to be retired, preferably from an executive or professional job. It is so baby boomer it hurts. Still, even though I'm outside the demographic, I found a few useful if not earthshattering tips in there. And Chris Crowley, the retired lawyer, has a voice that grates on my nerves often (though I'd somehow managed to find it almost endearing by the end). So how does it rate four stars? Well, it's smooth reading, so there's a lot to be s...more
Eden
Linda
I read the review of this book in the WSJ and was intrigued. Since reading the book, I've recommended it to many friends and purchased it for many family members. The clock is ticking - grab an hour of exercise, stop eating junk and find something to CARE about...every day. This book makes it easy to learn the physical and medical reasons why Harry's rules make a difference. Chris makes it fun to see the results of one patient taking his advice.

Last week a 92 year old woman finished the Hawaii M...more
Glennie
My exercise coach loaned me his copy to read. Really enjoying it so far. It is very motivating as far as exercise is concerned. Best quote so far: "In twenty years, failure to exercise six days a week will seem as self-destructive as smoking two packs of cigarettes a day. Two packs a day was normal when I was a kid. They finally moved that road and we're going to move this one." SIX days a week??? Is it possible? I'm making it 3 days a week now, in addition to the dog walks. Reading on,,,,

Good b...more
Al Macy
I read this book when I was 55 and followed it religiously for three years. I exercised vigorously six days per week.

However, I later decided that six days per week were simply too many, and didn't give my body enough rest time in between. There were some nights when I was extremely tired, and I suspect that was due to the lack of recover time.

Also, although the authors understood the problems of high-carbohydrate meals, I don't think they took this far enough.

So now I exercise four days a week,...more
Gary Potratz
I have slowly read this book so I could think through this concept and see if I agree with it.
Well, I can say I wholeheartedly agree with his ideas and ways to achieve them and wish I would have read this book five years earlier. I am trying hard to change and 'measure up' and have changed my diet and exercise routine.
I spend all of my time during the week calling on physicians and constantly wonder how in the world can people just let themselves go for 25-30 years and then come to their doctor...more
Telly McGaha
This was a gift from my boss; otherwise, it would not be something I would read. That being said, I ended up being quite interested in the scientific evidence behind the methodology. Fortunately, the doctor provides this information. The other author is whack and tries to make his point through anecdotes and jokes. He really dragged the book down to one star for me and, ultimately, I ended up skipping the chapters he wrote, or for which he was credited.
Howard
- I did benefit by Dr's Henry's explanation of the 'why' our metabolism and other functions impact us the way they do
- I often have to hear something two or three times before it really gets traction with me but there did seem to be a lot of repetition of the same points
- I suspect that the primary target audience is those who need to be convinced that healthy eating and regular exercise are important, and who need to understand the benefits/incentives of that.
- The book did not meet the definit...more
 ~☆ Alice♥♥
He likes to say Hiss-bump, hiss bump over and over as its like corn filler in processed foods...it pads his boring book. Most of this you have already read 50 times in other places if you read anything about health at all.

So far I have NOT read anything new except how many muscles we have in our bodies.

So far it just says exercise...well, I mean who doesn't already know that? Don't eat fast food..well, DUH!

Mike Laughlin
Highly useful. Authors explain the "why" of key concepts, and I need that to buy-in. Fun, entertaining read. Complex ideas are clearly explained by going up and down the cognition scale. (ie. scientific explanations, but with "plain talk" discussions and real-life examples.) I pull it out and reread ... as there's a lot of good stuff, here. More than can be digested in one read.
Brent
This book is to aging what "Amish Grace" is to forgiveness. I need to reread this book every 3 to 4 years to make sure that I stay on track as far as exercising, diet, strenght training and even social connection. Everyone over 50 needs to read this book. A GREAT book.
Victoria
Excellent! This book has definitely changed my life and I hope by next year I can say it was for the better. They definitely convinced me that I can be in wonderful shape the rest of my life. I just need to do it.
Thomas N.  Bradbury
Recommended by a friend who was very influenced by this message. I found this to be a solid book, well written, that moves at a good pace. Central to the message throughout is that if you are not taking active steps to maintain your health, or if you are merely holding steady in your health habits, you are in fact slipping behind in your health. We need to be engaging in the activities that signal to our body that all of our physiological systems are needed and need to be kept in good repair. Th...more
Dottie Parish
The main message of this book is important- aging can be reversed and delayed by exercise. This message is repeated over and over and many great ideas are presented as to how to do this, how to work exercise into your life and how to make it a habit. I learned it is important to vary the exercise, to do weight lifting as well as walking or running and that you gain more strength and benefit when you push yourself beyond your limits.

The book is very repetitive and there are many slap stick comme...more
Leanna Manuel
Three letters sum up my reaction to the book Younger Next Year: Live Strong, Fit, and Sexy - Until You're 80 and Beyond by Chris Crowley and Henry Lodge. You can choose either WOW or OMG. For me, this is a life-changer. (At least I hope it is.) In reality, a lot of the information, the what, was not new to me. What was new was the why. And in this book, the why is pretty compelling. I found myself actually wanting to get to the gym more. That is pretty amazing. My diet is already pretty good, bu...more
Kelly
I read this as it was recommended by one of the trainers for a fitness challenge I'm participating in...

First, I will admit that reading this was beneficial and gave me some good insights into the importance of exercising regularly to combat aging. However, it was kind of an annoying read at times. The book is co-authored by a physician and one of his patients, basically an old dude who got healthier and is trying to convince others to do the same.

The doctor's sections are fine and helpful, if...more
Karen
Chris Cowley is getting old. But he's fighting back with the help of his internist and co-author Dr. Henry S. Lodge. Together they write a book aimed at men 50 plus about how to achieve a level of fitness that will keep you active, vibrant and fit well into your 80s and beyond. I found the book so persuasive that it took me longer than usual to complete it: I kept putting it down so that I could go to the gym and work hard for an hour at a time.

The two authors take turns discussing a variety of...more
life after 50 2 10 Nov 08, 2013 04:13PM
Younger Next Year 1 8 May 10, 2009 10:19AM
  • The Paleo Diet for Athletes: A Nutritional Formula for Peak Athletic Performance
  • Still Here: Embracing Aging, Changing and Dying
  • A Bittersweet Season: Caring for Our Aging Parents--and Ourselves
  • Protein Power: The High-Protein/Low-Carbohydrate Way to Lose Weight, Feel Fit, and Boost Your Health--in Just Weeks!
  • Clean Gut: The Breakthrough Plan for Eliminating the Root Cause of Disease and Revolutionizing Your Health
  • The Happiness Diet: A Nutritional Prescription for a Sharp Brain, Balanced Mood, and Lean, Energized Body
  • The 28 Days Lighter Diet: Your Monthly Plan to Lose Weight, End PMS, and Achieve Physical and Emotional Wellness
  • Running & Being: The Total Experience
  • 52 Ways to Live a Kick-Ass Life: BS-Free Wisdom to Ignite Your Inner Badass and Live the Life You Deserve
  • Fit2Fat2Fit
  • Rethinking Thin: The New Science of Weight Loss--And the Myths and Realities of Dieting
  • Lifehacker: Upgrade Your Life
  • The Bombers and the Bombed: Allied Air War Over Europe 1940-1945
  • The Five Most Important Questions You Will Ever Ask about Your Organization: An Inspiring Tool for Organizations and the People Who Lead Them
  • SAS Urban Survival Handbook (SAS Survival (HarperCollins))
  • The Longevity Project: Surprising Discoveries for Health and Long Life from the Landmark Eight-Decade Study
  • The Okinawa Program : How the World's Longest-Lived People Achieve Everlasting Health--And How You Can Too
  • Possessed: The True Story of an Exorcism
Younger Next Year for Women Thinner This Year: A Younger Next Year Book Younger Next Year Journal: Turn Back Your Biological Clock The Heart Foundation Book Younger Next Year: Live Strong, Fit, and Sexy--Until You're 80 and Beyond by Chris Crowley, Henry S. Lodge Henry S.