Start by marking “The Secret Bedroom (Fear Street #13)” as Want to Read:
The Secret Bedroom (Fear Street #13)

The Secret Bedroom (Fear Street #13)

3.65  ·  Rating Details ·  1,745 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
Lea Carson can’t believe it when her family moves into the creepy old house on Fear Street. Creepiest of all is the secret room up in the attic.

The room has been locked and boarded up for at least a hundred years. A murder was committed in that room, the story goes, and it has been closed up ever since.

Lea knows she should stay away. But she thinks she hears footsteps in
Published June 30th 2008 by Simon Pulse (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Bedroom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Bedroom

Roberto
Mar 06, 2008 Roberto rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Have to read to little cousins
I remember I read this book when I was younger and it was creepy.
Now I found it again and my little cousin wanted me to read to her. So I decided to put on my best sinister voice and it worked! Scared her a bit yet she giggled occasionally at the comedic moments (which were a few).
R.L. Stine made me shiver when I was little; now I think it's just funny. Oh well... still a good novel with interesting plot twists.
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*

I was sorry to see that R. L. Stines' Fear Street series came to an end many years back. While aimed toward younger audiences, although thankfully not as young as Goosebumps, the books held tantalizing little stories that showcased a deep imagination. The covers were a delight as well, and there was just something addictive about the whole series. Some, of course, were better than others. Of just the basic "Fear Street" series, there were 52 books in total.

Here the story is groan-inducing for th
Danielle
I remember Marci from another book I believe.... But I can't quite place her!

Well I was not a fan of this, it was predictable, and kind of boring. I knew what was coming way before everything happened and it was frustrating and dull. This could have been so much darker!

(view spoiler)
Mia
Aug 08, 2013 Mia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, horror
Returning to Fear Street: In which I revisit my favorite childhood book series.

Well, here we are, back on Fear Street. We barely made it out alive last time, but we're older and wiser now. Will Fear Street finally get the best of us?

The Good:
One of my favorite things about the Fear Street books is that none of these kids live in a vacuum. Just because a character manages to get to the end of a book alive doesn't mean Fear Street is done with them. These kids continue to show back up, mostly in
Rachael Quinn
Oct 12, 2014 Rachael Quinn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm pretty bummed to report that this is my last Fear Street of the year. You know, I don't recall ever enjoying them quite this much. I actually ordered the next four the other day and then made myself cancel the order because there's a stack of other books on my desk that is getting out of control. October is the perfect time for some Fear Street. I'm still waiting for those movies, world. They would be so much more entertaining than the crap that's out there right now.

The Secret Bedroom is th
amber
Jun 09, 2009 amber rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: me when i was 12
A present from a professional creep. I was a die-hard Christopher Pike fan back in the great 90's, so I was eager to see what my man's rival had to offer me in the super 00's. A "superchiller" may be a little strong of a description but the story is pretty sweet, complete with some feverish nightmares, broken spines, creepy attic secret rooms (my personal fave), and some raggedy skeleton parents. A couple of completely ridiculous moments (yes, I am doing this for a young adult horror novel):
1. A
Alexandra
I don't care how predictable R.L. Stine's books can be. They are still creepy as fuck. (view spoiler)

I had so much fun reading these books when I was in middle school. I had almost the whole collection and I just gobbled them up. Even now, I flew through this one. Yeah, it was only
L
Feb 25, 2015 L rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why does every book has a female protagonist having trouble getting along with anyone at Shadyside High? This is the umpteenth time I have forced myself to read a book to its end despite having difficulties coming to terms with all the bullying going on in the campus. And oh, very predictable parents as well. If Fear Street is believed to be haunted, why does everyone on it not fear it? That's one of the things I have a hard time understanding. Other than that, there's nothing special about this ...more
Chelsea Gouin
Oct 09, 2016 Chelsea Gouin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fear-street
THIS is a Fear Street book!! Lea and her family have recently moved into a creepy old house on Fear Street. There's just something a little off in the dilapitated home...and Lea thinks it's coming from the boarded up bedroom in the attic. What's worse, no one believes her! She hears footsteps and eerie whispers behind the locked door and can't provide proof. Finally, once opening the room for herself she discovers the ghost of a young girl hiding in the forbidden room. But now Lea isn't sure if ...more
Women Write About Comics
Anamica
Apr 14, 2013 Anamica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kroyanns-2013
The never-ending fun of R.L.Stine reads.
I must say the little girl Lea did had a lot of guts to fight a ghost and finally win. Amazing story and the best part is your always curious to know, "what happened next?".
The curiosity of Lia to figure out the secrets of Catherine, the beautiful ghost in her house, drives curiosity within you and compels you to keep turning pages, hoping Lea wins. Although what you expect is not what really happens over the next few pages, and that's the best thing about
Andy Yu
Axel Kim
Dec 04, 2014 Axel Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Secret Bedroom was a creepy read about a girl named Lea Carson who moves into a house on Fear Street. When she and her family move in the house, they are told not to open the door of the bedroom that is boarded up. Rumor has it that someone was murdered in that room. One day Lea gets curious and opens up the bedroom only to be greeted by a ghost. Lea and the ghost become friends, but a tragic thing happens. That’s when everything goes bad and you have to read the book to find out what happen ...more
Drucilla
Dec 15, 2011 Drucilla rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fear-street
I really liked the plot of this book, but one thing kept me from giving it three stars. I wish we were told how Catherine became a ghost. (view spoiler) So many questions left unanswered. Also, Lea better not even think about dating Don Jacobs. He helped his girlfriend humiliate her. Although, to be fair, the book doesn't say she will date him ...more
Avantika Chatterjee
The best way of reading "The R.L STINE" series is lock yourself in a room, switch-off all the lights, turn-on a lamp with yellow light, hold your soft toy tight and read..

I am 26, trust me I still enjoy reading these books and freak out. It is amazing how just visualising what you read can really give you the creeps.

View more: http://iread2express.blogspot.in/2015...
Shanice
Feb 23, 2013 Shanice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always associate this book with what I call 'my biggest mistakes'' because it was the first R.L. Stine book I ever read and that's no big deal unless when you read it you were a nine year old wuss. I remember the sleepless night under the blankets and imagining I was hearing footsteps above me, in short i was creeped out, I re'read the book recently and although i went to sleep peacefully after reading it I still find it scary, so weak at heart beware but an amazing book nonetheless.
Pitiponks
Bon, depuis mes 11-12 ans, mon seuil de tolérance à la "peur" dans les films ou livres a bien augmenté. Avec Stephen King et surtout récemment Walking Dead, je n'ai pas ressenti un frisson pendant cette lecture mais je comprends parfaitement qu'il m'ait terrorisée étant plus jeune. C'était quand même plus dark que Chair de Poule. Et on peut dire que R.L. Stine maîtrise vraiment les systèmes du suspense. Un chouette livre d'épouvante jeunesse.
Alex
I'm pretty sure this was the first Fear Street book I ever read, and it definitely started my love affair of the series.

Even after all these years, this book still holds up surprisingly well. I always thought the twist was cool, and I really enjoyed re-reading this.

(view spoiler)
Steen
I remember this one creeping me out when I was younger and it still did today. Although I still really can't believe that the main character continually believes that this Don guy is into her even though he has a girlfriend since forever. Or I guess I should say she is totally into him despite all the non sticking up for her he does. I mean whhhat! haha but the story was still creepy with a twist :)
Winna
I don't like ghost stories and supernaturals.. but it's only natural that the Fear Street series inch closer to that since there could only be so many plot twists to a murder story, so I'm okay with that. The thing is, this one's more spooky than scared-for-your-life kind of mystery. Not my cup of tea.

I think the back story to Lea wanting revenge is not strong enough. As a character, she's not engaging enough.
Amanda
This book has a very twist ending.

I really liked this book. It had good plot twists,(which always make the books better right?) I think teens girls would like this book. I liked the twist ending on this book as with all R.L.Stine Fear Street books. Read it now. It's one of the best Fear Street books.
Rebecca
Aug 20, 2012 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This was the first R.L. Stine book I read and it started my love of books. I can't remember being that interested in reading before I discovered the horror genre and R.L. Stine. Every few weeks I had to go to Waldenbooks and buy more. All these years later and the books even smell the same. Talk about nostalgia. Long live the 90's.
Heather Porter
Jun 09, 2016 Heather Porter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This R.L. Stine Fear Street gave me the chills! I am currently in the process of reading all of R.L. Stines Fear Streets, and this is the creepiest one so far! I am loving going back and re-reading the books that really got me into the horror/thriller genre. They are easy reads, and they are fun reads!!
Tara Calaby
This is quite a good example of teen horror fiction. R.L. Stine was always one of the better authors of the Point Horror books that my peers and I all gobbled up as teens, and this instalment from the Fear Street series makes me rather inclined to pick up the others as escapist reading whenever I see them in the local library. Not a bad supernatural tale.
Kendall Robinson
Jan 04, 2015 Kendall Robinson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice quick read as usual, I go through the Fear Street books like crazy and every couple of years I just need to read another one. Or two in this times case. The flow is really good and the twist is a little predictable but the detail in the moment is very good.
Y
Jeske
Dec 07, 2014 Jeske rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2007-and-before
Way too frightening for teenagers. Don't buy this for your kids. This book caused me to be fear-bound for months when i was 12. Fascinating too, of course. But way too real, way too scary. Kids should not read about other kids being possessed. That's just sheer unhealthy.
Allyson (Belle)
Mar 21, 2011 Allyson (Belle) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, fear-street
I don't think I ever read this one when I was younger, which is probably a good thing, cause it would have scared the crap out of me lol. I loved the fact that this one actually had to do with paranormal stuff, like ghosts, when most of the other ones were just crazy people doing everything.
Teenhorrorreviews
Aug 03, 2015 Teenhorrorreviews rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
As a huge fan of Fear street, this one really let me down. Terrible main character, incredibly stupid plot elements, such a let down!
Read my review as well as many others here :)
Teen Horror Reviews
Najla Al-bluwi
Jul 18, 2011 Najla Al-bluwi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
First novel I read in the fear street serial…it talks about a late teenager girl living in a house in the fear street … she believes that there is a girl living in one of the locked rooms in her house…the author really have a nice way of writing …. I enjoyed it
  • Monster
  • Do-Over
  • Pemba's Song: A Ghost Story
  • Prom Dress
  • The Accident (Point Horror, #16)
  • Dark Moon (Wereling, #2)
  • Party Line
  • April Fools (Point Horror, #7)
  • Alyxandra Harvey Collection (Drake Chronicles, #1-3; Haunting Violet, #1)
  • The Triad of Finity (Oliver Nocturne, #6)
  • Dawn on the Coast (The Baby-Sitters Club, #23)

R. L. Stine b
More about R.L. Stine...

Fear Street (1 - 10 of 54 books)
  • The New Girl (Fear Street, #1)
  • The Surprise Party (Fear Street, #2)
  • The Overnight (Fear Street, #3)
  • Missing (Fear Street, #4)
  • The Wrong Number (Fear Street, #5)
  • The Sleepwalker (Fear Street, #6)
  • Haunted (Fear Street, #7)
  • Halloween Party (Fear Street, #8)
  • The Stepsister (Fear Street, #9)
  • Ski Weekend (Fear Street, #10)