Rogue Island

Rogue Island (Liam Mulligan #1)

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  1,012 ratings  ·  231 reviews
Hailed by Publishers Weekly as one of the top ten debuts of 2010, Rogue Island tells the gripping tale of newspaperman Liam Mulligan's search for whoever is burning down the neighborhood that he grew up in.
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published November 2nd 2010 by Tantor Media (first published October 12th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Rogue Island, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rogue Island

Kemper
An Edgar Award winner for Best First Novel? Seriously? Must have been a weak year for debut crime novels.

Mulligan is a newspaper reporter covering a string of arsons in the Mount Hope area of Providence, Rhode Island. Since the arson cops are completely inept, it looks like Mulligan will have to solve the crime as he dodges fluff assignments from his editor, deals with a bitchy ex-wife, romances his new girlfriend and bemoans the state of the newspaper industry.

I had three big problems with this...more
James Thane
An arsonist is hard at work, burning down homes in the Mount Hope neighborhood of Providence, Rode Island. People are dying and a town is terrorized. Local reporter Liam Mulligan grew up in this neighborhood and so he's taking this whole thing personally. Not content simply to report the story, Mulligan injects himself into the investigation, determined to stop the arsonist before he or she can claim any additional victims.

It's a good thing he does, because the local authorities are inept and cl...more
Jim Thomsen
The good stuff and the not-so-good stuff run nearly neck-and-neck in the debut novel from Bruce DeSilva, well-known in the mystery-book community for his reviews for the Associated Press, his longtime employer.

The good stuff: The story lopes along at a energetic pace, lean and leathery and limber, never stopping too long to gaze at its own navel the way many debut novels do. The dialogue is another strong point, crisp and crackling, and cut with Cutty Sark and crusty wit. And the story is steep...more
Deborah
Feb 03, 2013 Deborah rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Modern mystery fans
Update 1 month later - I'm upgrading from 3.5 to 4.5. I find I look back on the experience of listening to this with a real appreication and I'm looking forward to the next one. I almost wrote the author to find out the name of a band Mulligan listens to because I liked all the others so much and hadn't heard of one of them. And I wanted to pressure him to include Popa Chubby in the next one. Then I realized that was a bit moronic and curbed the desire.

Maybe this book would get 3.5 stars from m...more
Tony
If you like fast-paced crime thrillers with a rich sense of of atmosphere and a strong male protagonist, this is the book for you -- just don't expect too much from the plot. Set in a richly detailed grimy Providence, RI, the story follows newspaper reporter Mulligan ("just Mulligan") as he pokes his nose into an outbreak of arson in the city's run-down Mount Hope neighborhood. Meanwhile, the separated-and-nearly-divorced Mulligan is also embarking on a new relationship with the paper's beautifu...more
Susan
A home town RI reporter try's to use his familiarity with the big players, politicians and thugs to help find out who is committing arson in a specific neighborhood. He is estranged from his wife, in love with another gal who he works with and has an old high school friend in love with him. Along with his complicated love life he has a half pint-tough guy after him to drop the investigation. This man who is a foot shorter than he is, keeps getting the best of him by catching him off guard.

I tho...more
Erika
I picked this up because it's set in Providence, and I thought it would be interesting to read a mystery set in our new hometown.

The plot was pretty standard, and DeSilva definitely worked the hard-boiled investigative reporter for all it was worth. You could practically hear Bogart's laconic drawl in the dialog, and Spillane's world-weary gumshoe in the narrative. It was a little hokey, but not too bad once you settle into the rhythm, although that rhythm is often broken by DeSilva's too-freque...more
Joy
I love this book and am looking forward to the next one. I especially liked the historical information about Rhode Isand and the politics and how he weaves Patricia Smith's poetry into the perfect part of the novel where Mulligan is in bed with his new love, co-reporter, Veronica. I am going to research to see if I can find the complete text online.
The book is full of witticisms mixed with humor in the style of Raymond Chandler, James Ellroy and the recently deceased, Robert Parker. Robert Parke...more
Maddy

When you’ve been in the newspaper business for a long time, you can sometimes become inured to the suffering that affects others as you cover their stories. That definitely is not the case for Liam Mulligan, whose reporting on a series of fires that are set in the Providence, Rhode Island, neighborhood where he grew up. It’s heartbreaking to view the carnage that results from these malicious acts, young children burned to death, fire fighters injured and killed. When Mulligan realizes someone is...more
Darrell Delamaide
Bruce DeSilva has produced a well-written, well-edited but only mildly entertaining noir novel featuring a hero so obviously modeled on himself that it gets in the way of the story. The author succumbs to one of my pet peeves in these debut novels -- he inflicts his personal tastes and preferences on the reader in lieu of doing any genuine characterization.

DeSilva's author photo features him with a big stogie and his fictional hero Liam Mulligan distinguishes himself every few pages by "firing u...more
Donna
Blue collar, slightly downtrodden, Providence, RI is the setting for Bruce DeSilva’s Edgar Award winning first novel. Arson rocks newspaper reporter Liam Mulligan’s old neighborhood and as panic begins to set in Mulligan uses his life-long contacts among the locals to find the truth and see justice served.

Wonderful setting and great characters that all seemed very authentic plus a complex story with a terrific ending. My one complaint was with the overall balance of the book. It seemed DeSilva s...more
Tuck
a very nice 1st noir ish novel of newspaper reporter investigating a serial arsonist/murderer in his neighborhood. This won the Edgar Award for Best First Novel in 2011. Takes place in Providence RI and environs so there is lots of local color too, and Red Sox games, and food, and beer, and snow, and wiseguys and bent politicos, good dialog and fair sex.
Valerie
I read this book because it was a selection for our book club, Sista’s. The book was highly rated and my anticipation was high. The last two books I had read were dud’s and I was really looking forward to a good story. Boy was I disappointed. It never ceases to amaze me how the so-called experts will provide a review of a book and my experience with the book turns out to be completely the opposite.

Rogue Island was labeled a suspense and/or thriller. To me it was neither. The author, Bruce DeSilv...more
Jonathan Briggs
A JON AND HIS MA BOOK CLUB SELECTION

A mad arsonist blazes a trail through Providence, R.I., focusing on the low-income immigrant neighborhood of Mount Hope, former home of reporter Liam Mulligan. Mulligan is a newspaperman -- emphasis on the paper -- who's so old-school he still smears ink all over everything he touches. The city's arson investigators are too fat, lazy and incompetent, so Mulligan takes it upon himself to track the killer firebug. And that's about it as far as plot goes in forme...more
Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
People are dying as many buildings in the Mount Hope area of Providence go up in flames. An arsonist is on the loose. People are terrified. The Arson Squad (dubbed, Dumb and Dumber) are both incompetent and ill equipped to stop the fatal fires. Investigative Reporter Liam Mulligan’s anger has reached its fevered pitch. It’s personal now. Mount Hope is where he grew up and he doesn’t like the fact that a firebug is reducing his childhood to ashes. No more is he just covering the story: he interje...more
Marjorie Ingall
This book will have special appeal for Rhode Islanders, but hey, I'm a Rhode Islander; I devoured it. Three stars if you're from elsewhere, 4 if you're my homey.

DeSilva proves that the most corrupt little state in the union is a great setting for a modern-day yet old-school noir. He's clearly read his share of Hammett, Chandler and Spillane (the last one is problematic -- if you have any triggers around sexual assault or a sort of humming low-level macho shamus sexism, avoid this book). It's ab...more
Douglas
Rogue Island is a tour-de-force of noir writing that leads us through the gritty underbelly of Providence, RI where we meet the cast of characters who thrive in the “smallest state’s” corrupt culture. Liam Mulligan (a Providence native and inveterate newspaper man) is our flawed but earnest guide. Early in the book he points up the harsh facts of his life when contrasting them with those of his girlfriend Veronica “Veronica was gorgeous and I wasn’t. She was Princeton and I was Providence Colleg...more
Babcock
This was a really engaging book. I don't really like mysteries, but I definitely liked this one. It was pretty fast paced, was well written, it was clever and he had a lot of great lines. Anyone who has ever lived in Providence will love it, as will any Red Sox fan, for me I think that was a lot of the initial appeal.

My one critique is that I don't think the women were well written. Mulligan makes a point of telling us how smart and accomplished his younger girlfriend is, yet every time she tal...more
David Burnsworth
What a great debut! DeSilva shows us a side of the city most of us will never see. And his cast of characters makes you want to visit with them again and again.
Tim "The Enchanter"
A solid 4 stars

I would not have guessed this was a debut novel. Well written and well paced.

In the story, a serial arsonist is terrorizing the city. Building are burning and people are dying. Arson is not exactly compelling crime fiction. In this case, it didn't matter as the characters were very entertaining and you knew the story was going to get more involved.

After about 3/4 the book was a 3 star book but the last quarter provided some interesting and unexpected plot twists. Had the final o...more
Chris
Quick read. I enjoyed it because I live in the state where it takes place and could relate to many things in the book.
Sandi
While this was a decent enough debut I was expecting a bit more since it won the Edgar for best first mystery this year. The best part of the book was the Providence setting and the various descriptions of inner workings of the state. The plot started off well but the lead character took his time putting the pieces together and the pace was bogged down by the never ending listing of the lead character's musical choices (including all of his cell phone ring tones).
Skip
A quick read. Based in Providence, Rogue Island, Liam Mulligan is an intrepid reporter for the local newspaper investigating a series of suspicious fires, likely arson. When it appears that the neighborhood is targeted for redevelopment, Liam uses all his resources (some legal, most not) to bring the perpetrators to justice, but manages to get himself and others hurt or killed along the way.
Diane S.
A first novel about a journalist for a struggling Rhode Island newspaper, investigating a string of arsons in the neighborhood he grew up in. Good strong characters and a very intersting plot. Enjoyed this.
Sue
A good page-turner, which fit what I was in the mood for. The descriptions of the newspaper industry, Providence and its politics felt real, albeit pretty bleak. A good plane or beach book.
Beth Anne
this was pretty good. better than i expected, by far. its one of those crime novels with a likeable protagonist (definitely likeable enough to read about again), an interesting cast of characters (a lot of whom perish) and a dark but interesting mystery that needs to be solved.

its a hometown hero sort of story...staying close to the Providence neighborhood it takes place in.

this is the first book in a series that will become filler reads for me. when i need a break from thinking about what to re...more
María
Hay algo que tengo muy claro ya, la novela negra es lo mío y es muy difícil que me defraude.

En esta nos encontramos con Mulligan, al contrario que en la mayoría de las novelas de este género, es un periodista en lugar de un detective y un detective que sabe muy bien de donde sacar su información.

No sé si podríais pensar que una novela negra puede llegar a ser divertida, pero esta lo es y mucho, las carcajadas que he dado sólo con leer unas frases han sido épicas, frases como:
"Una historia como...more
Larry Buhl
Mystery, detective, crime, whodunnit... not my favorite genre. The reason is, usually everything takes a back seat to the plot. There is formula: there must be red herrings, at least five possible suspects, physical danger for the detective (in this case a reporter), but character development is an afterthought.

So, Rogue Island is pretty representative of the genre, but doesn't transcend it. That's not a problem, exactly, just disappointing.

Also, in many detective stories, if the narrator/hero...more
Danna
Rogue Island is an entertaining look at the corrupt officials running the city of Providence, RI. Although it is a fictional work, as a Providence resident, I could truly appreciate the cast of characters and underlying themes. The protagonist, Mulligan, is a reporter for a daily Providence newspaper. He is obsessed with a series of arsons that have occurred in Providence's Mount Hope neighborhood. Mulligan doubts the ability of Providence's fire investigator team, dubbed "Dumb and Dumber," so h...more
Ashland Mystery Oregon
Congratulations to Bruce DeSilva, on Thursday's Rogue Island Edgar win- it's well deserved.

I enjoyed this quick read, with lots of local references and strong characters. It's set in Rhode Island, which is just like New Jersey only smaller, and like New Jersey, Rogue Island glories in the state's corruption, exploitation, organized crime and the heroism of everyday people. I like that baseball rules and Dorcas, the pazza stronza who's Mulligan's almost ex-wife appears only by phone, and that a s...more
  • Faces of the Gone (Carter Ross Mystery #1)
  • The Queen of Patpong (Poke Rafferty Mystery, #4)
  • The Hanging Tree (Starvation Lake, #2)
  • Misery Bay (Alex McKnight, #8)
  • Long Time Coming
  • The Devil She Knows
  • The Poacher's Son (Mike Bowditch, #1)
  • City of Dragons
  • Snow Angels (Inspector Kari Vaara, #1)
  • All Cry Chaos (Henri Poincaré Mystery, #1)
  • Let The Dead Lie (Detective Emmanuel Cooper, #2)
  • Moonlight Downs (Emily Tempest, #1)
  • Black Fridays (Jason Stafford, #1)
  • Big City, Bad Blood (Ray Dudgeon, #1)
  • Tonight I Said Goodbye (Lincoln Perry Series #1)
  • The Interrogation of Gabriel James
  • The Foreigner: A Novel
  • The Devil's Home on Leave
Bruce DeSilva grew up in a tiny Massachusetts mill town where the mill closed when he was ten. He had an austere childhood bereft of iPods, X-Boxes, and all the other cool stuff that hadn’t been invented yet. In this parochial little town, metaphors and alliteration were also in short supply. Nevertheless, his crime fiction has won the Edgar and Macavity Awards; has been listed as a finalist for t...more
More about Bruce DeSilva...
Cliff Walk (Liam Mulligan, #2) Providence Rag (Liam Mulligan, #3) A Scourge of Vipers