Start by marking “Sisterchicks on the Loose! a Sisterchick Novel” as Want to Read:
Sisterchicks on the Loose! a Sisterchick Novel

Sisterchicks on the Loose! a Sisterchick Novel (Sisterchicks #1)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  2,237 ratings  ·  164 reviews
SISTERCHICK (n.): A friend who shares the deepest wonders of your heart, loves you like a sister, and provides a reality check when you're being a brat.Unlikely best friends Sharon, quiet mother of four, and Penny, former flower child/motorcycle mama, hatch a plan for a "post-kids" trip to seek out Penny's only living relatives somewhere in far-off Finland. The land of rei ...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 358 pages
Published April 1st 2004 by Thorndike Press (first published January 1st 2003)

I’m not going on vacation this summer, so picking up this book was supposed to be the next best thing. ;) The plot: two life-long friends head off to Finland in search of long-lost relatives — and a new perspective on life.

Forgive me for using an airplane analogy, but this book is like salted peanuts: basically healthy (this book was is classified as “Christian fiction,” so there’s a lot of material talking about drawing closer to God and reaching out to others) but not something so tasty you’d
This was a great book. It had a Christian perspective, but it wasn't overwhelming. I can't say it was subtle, but it was very nicely included and didn't make me feel like I was being preached to, or that they had to struggle to incorporate a Christian theme. It was an extremely quick read. I would have given it 5 stars, but the simplicity of the book just didn't put it on the same level as some of the other books I have read.
Andrea Cox
Have you ever been surprised by the contents of a book?

Recently, I experienced that very thing.

Having previously loved RobinJones Gunn’s Clouds, I was eager to see what else she had written. When the first of her Sisterchicks books came up on my list of available books on Blogging for Books, I couldn’t resist the temptation to try another of her novels.

The surprises began with the cover. Blue sky and snow, with a bright orange strip of foreign buildings . . . just the hint of adventure I needed
I enjoyed this book but not as much as I remember loving it years ago when I read it the first time.

Some favorite quotes:
I realized today that growing old is a risky journey. I don't want my trip into old age to be the only risky journey I ever take. page 34-35

The unknown elevated her. My "what if" questions were suffocating me with fear and pressing me deeper into myself. page 43

"You are gifted and capable beyond your wildest immagination. You have not yet begun to explore all the ways you can
I needed a light chicklit read to help me recover from my last book and get me back into reading for pleasure so I picked this up at the library not knowing anything about it.

For me, there was too much mention of God and the Christian religion and that tainted the overall feel of the book for me. Granted, the totality of that kind of talk only lasted 5 or so pages but it statements were peppered throughout and it turned me off.

The book in itself is an okay read about two best friends who go of
Doug Willstead
I read for entertainment.
Book lernin' is hard with me.
Boy - I learned a few things in these conversations.( feels wrong to say 'story' )
Two parts of a forty year friendship take bravery pills,lean into it
with each other and I felt a part of every conversation.
Lovely and Wonderful.
Sisterchicks on the Loose is the first sisterchick book written by Robin Jones Gunn. Even though this isn't a series there are eight books, I believe, all about friends and sisters who have these incredible God given/appointed trips.
I absolutely love ALL of the Sisterchick books. But Sisterchicks On the Loose is one of my all time favorites!
Sharon and her friend, Penny, have been best friends for twenty years. Penny has the savvy and business attitude; whereas, Sharon is more of the homemaker/di
Many of the other reviews said they couldn't identify with the main character because she was too old. Well, I'm the same age as the main character, and couldn't identify either. I kept telling myself to give it more time, it was bound to get better, but after an hour into it I just couldn't see wasting any more time on a book that was actually irritating me. Too much good lit out there to be enjoyed, this wasn't one of them for me.
Gunn's known for her women's fiction, and I wasn't disappointed. While not sappy or silly, her fun story of women and their friendship entertained and kept me turning the pages.
Yes, it was definitely awesome. A solid 5. Loved Penny Lane, but could definitely relate to Sharon.
Corny but very cute. Oddly enough, I read another of the books in this series years and years ago in high school when I lived in a tiny town with a very limited public library selection. Then I lived in Finland for some years and just came across this book because I wanted to read something that was set in Finland. I loved the parts set there-- when they visit Stockmann and the summer cottage with the sauna. Marketta and Anni were great characters. The rest of the book was decent, very Christian ...more
"You are gifted and capable beyond your wildest imagination. You have not yet begun to explore all the ways you can make your life count for eternity. Strength and dignity are your clothing. It's time for you to drop your bucket deep down into the well of possibilities that you've been ignoring all these years. Drop it all the way down and see what you pull up." "It's imperative that I read my Bible to find out how to make my life work the way it was designed to work." These two quotes were favo ...more
Nov 15, 2010 Katy rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: If you aren't Christian, don't read it.
Recommended to Katy by: Sheryl Wilson
This book had a lot of firsts for me. From the two-star rating, you might guess that these "firsts" aren't particularly positive. For one thing, this is the first time I've ever actually stopped reading the book to roll my eyes. It is also the first time that I've said things out loud while reading such as "Oh, come ON," and "You've got to be kidding me," as well as the occasional, "Why am I reading this?"

Why AM I reading this? I'm not exactly a chick-lit girl. The title could not be more cheesy
Jennifer Lombardi
Sisterchicks On The Loose by Robin Jones Gunn

Wouldn't you LOVE to take a trip with your best friend to another country? In this book two friends (Sharon and Penny) go on an adventure filled trip to Finland. As they travel, they learn more about God and his love for them and they realize how short and precious life really is. They start to loosen up and have some fun!

This is the second book of the Sisterchicks series that I have been able to read (This is #1, I am reading them out of order! LOL)
Sep 19, 2007 Michele rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: girlfriends
Sharon has lived calmly in Chinook Springs, Washington, her entire life. All that changes when her best friend of twenty years, Penny, takes an impulsive trip to seek out her only living relatives in Finland -- and brings Sharon with her. The land of reindeer and saunas holds infinite varieties of zaniness for these two unlikely friends -- Sharon is a quiet mother of four and Penny was a motorcycle mama before she came to Christ -- who return home with a new view of God, a new zest for life, and ...more
Erin Cataldi
I adored this book. It made me want to hop on a plane and have some life changing adventure. Oh wait, I've done that, but this made me want to do it with my best friend. Robin lovingly recounts her spur of the moment trip with her best friend Penny. When they were young mother's they promised each other they would go to Finland to find the last of Penny's blood relatives, well, that time has come.

This memoir recounts their first adventure together in 1993 and how it changed their lives. It brou
Although I liked Sisterchicks Do the Hula better, I'm cutting Gunn some slack because I read them out of order and she was obviously trying something new with this series. Maybe it's because I'm turning 40 and my only kid is starting high school, but these books really speak to me as I am facing a time when I'm starting to redefine myself. Reading these books helps me feel more positive about the changes this stage in life is bringing to me. After reading a Sisterchick novel, it's like going on ...more
Okay, if you need one series to read this year and you are a woman who wants to learn more about herself and her relationship with God, this is the series. It is fiction, but the characters, who vary in age from mid 30's to mid 50's, are amazing. And the settings!! Oh, I wish I could join them. Robin Jones Gunn takes us all over the world with her characters, from New Zealand to Venice to Finland to Mexico, in each place learning about themselves and what their life is really all about. I love t ...more
Title: Sisterchicks on the Loose

Author: Robin Jones Gunn

Series: Sisterchicks

Pages: 288

Genre: Christian Chick lit

Rating: 4.5 stars

Sisterchicks on the loose is the first book in the Sisterchick series by Robin Jones Gunn. It is Christian chick lit but it seems to be written for older women, because the main characters are older.
Sharon and Penny have been friends for years and now in the 40’s they are going to Finland in order for Penny to find family members.
Just like I enjoyed reading the Chri
Mary Crow
Loved this book! It was so much fun! Light. yet deep and meaningful. I definitely plan on reading more in the series. Such a great reminder why girlfriends, I mean Sisterchicks, are so important!
Lucy Leblanc
This book is a light read that I thoroughly enjoyed. It is the story of two best friends and their zany adventures but it is so much more than that. The concept of having a "Sisterchick" is one all women should experience. Female bonding and spiritual connections are central to the story and something we need more of in today's society. If you are over 40 and wondering if your life has become too routine and predictable then you should pick up this book and see the possibilities that are out the ...more
Do not read this book! A Finnish friend of mine insisted I would love it as parts of it takes place in Finland. Written at a third grade level and unbelievably simplistic. Read a guide book to understand the beauty of Finland.
This is my second Sisterchicks book they are funny, fast reads with a good Christian message. I enjoyed the book and have two more I will read as they are very uplifting.
Leeann Layne
This is a laugh out loud til you cry and your stomach hurts read!! As I entered middle age and read this, I identified with the characters and loved them!!
One of the down-sides of modern western culture is that women are so busy juggling their personal and professional lives that we rarely take time to develop close friendships with other women - the very people who would understand us, support us, give us a good swift kick when it's needed, share our laughs, and share our tears. That being said, this quick-and-easy read permits the reader to tag along with two mis-matched friends as they travel together. If you don't have a group of sisterchicks ...more
Cute but a little too light for my likes. It was a nice little friends relationship but I expected more about the destination of Finland.
This was a fun book to read. The escapades the sisterschicks have and their faith brings them through. Definitely a keeper book.

In the first book of the Sisterchick series, long time friends Sharon and Penny decide to go on an adventure to find Penny's aunt in Finland. At first, Sharon is reluctant to go on such a trip, after living a quiet life with her childhood sweetheart and four kids. Encouraged by her family and realizing she doesn't want to live life without going on a few adventures makes her realize that Finland is just the thing for her.
Reading this novel made me want to set off on an adventure of my own! I fe
Rick Wilkinson
In preparation for a stop in Helsinki, Finland on a recent cruise, I did a search for books with the subject "Finland."This is the only one I found. Normally, I don't read books by female authors. This book is a good example why I don't. I just don't get into all the touchy Feely emotions characteristic of books by female authors. Looking through the names of reviewers, I am the rule rather than the exception.

In the end, the book didn't give me much good information about Finland. Saunas are not
Two friends go to Finland and discover about themselves and God.
  • The Yada Yada Prayer Group Gets Tough
  • The Potluck Club Troubles Brewing (The Potluck Club #2)
  • Back Home Again (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #1)
  • My Life as a Doormat (In Three Acts)
  • She's Out of Control (Ashley Stockingdale, #2)
  • Harry Bentley's Second Chance
  • The Sister Circle (Sister Circle #1)
  • Quaker Summer
ROBIN JONES GUNN is the much loved author of over 85 books. With nearly 5 million copies of her titles sold worldwide, her popular Christy Miller series now continues in Christy & Todd: The Married Years. Her novels and non-fiction works have received multiple awards and are a favorite with book clubs and study groups. Robin and her husband have a grown son and daughter and live in Hawaii.
More about Robin Jones Gunn...

Sisterchicks (9 books)
  • Sisterchicks Do the Hula (Sisterchicks, #2)
  • Sisterchicks in Sombreros (Sisterchicks, #3)
  • Sisterchicks Down Under (Sisterchicks, #4)
  • Sisterchicks Say Ooh La La! (Sisterchicks, #5)
  • Sisterchicks in Gondolas (Sisterchicks, #6)
  • Sisterchicks Go Brit! (Sisterchicks, #7)
  • Sisterchicks in Wooden Shoes (Sisterchicks, #8)
  • Take Flight!
Christy Miller Collection, Vol. 1 (Christy Miller, #1-3) Christy Miller Collection, Vol. 2 (Christy Miller, #4-6) Christy Miller Collection, Vol. 3 (Christy Miller, #7-9) Christy Miller Collection, Vol. 4 (Christy Miller, #10-12) Until Tomorrow (Christy and Todd: College Years #1)