Good Nights: The Happy Parents' Guide to the Family Bed (and a Peaceful Night's Sleep!)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  159 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Your baby sleeps in your bed, and you love it. Except for those nagging worries about safety. ("She's so small, I'm so big!") And what your relatives are saying. ("She'll never leave your bed!") And that little foot that always ends up on your face.

Worry no more! Good Nights puts your concerns about the family bed to rest, with fun and easy-to-use guidance on safety, copin...more
Published April 1st 2007 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Good Nights, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Good Nights

Cheryl
Sep 23, 2007 Cheryl rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all parents or expecting parents
Fantastic book which opened my eyes to the beautiful world of co-sleeping. Offers helpful suggestions on making it work for all kinds of family situations. Provided solace that the choice to cosleep was right, nurturing, and it helps children develop a strong sense of independence over time, in stark opposition to a book I had just read that stated a child must learn to cry-it-out in order to have a strong, confident upbringing! Provided research showing that crying it out not only severed a bit...more
Jen
Another one of those books that I REALLY wish I had read prior to our first daughter's birth. It's so great to know I am not alone and the choices my husband and I made as (then) new parents were not only loving and instinctual, but also a unique gift to give our daughter! Although it is a highly personal decision, co-sleeping and bed sharing was so right for my daughter and our family from the beginning. Literally the very first night at home! (although, I admit that I had NO idea at all what "...more
Angela
This is not a should-I or shouldn't-I book -- the author is firmly in favor of co-sleeping. That can be nice if you're looking for reassurance that you're doing the right thing. Or it can be worrisome if you feel you're maybe just getting half the picture. For example, (unless I missed it) they presented what was *wrong* with the 1999 CPSC report against co-sleeping without mentioning the report's actual findings.

I was mainly looking for safety advice, which was just one chapter. The rest of the...more
Lina
I actually hadn't intended to read much of this book, but I ended up reading the whole thing. I saw this while looking for another book at the library and was a little intrigued. At the time we were just transitioning out of co-sleeping, but not because of problems with co-sleeping itself (rather, our baby had problems with sleeping, and co-sleeping made it harder for us to find a solution).

Side note: Before Anika was born, I didn't think that I would co-sleep with my kids, but Nathaniel and I...more
Michelle
Are you feeling like you're the only person who loves cuddling with your baby at night? You're not alone, and this book, written by a pediatrician, has statistics, stories, and scenarios to give you comfort and confidence in your choice. While co-sleeping isn't for everyone, those who are curious about the concept and those wanting to give it a try will find useful advice here. If you already co-sleep, you'll find facts and encouragement in the face of people who don't agree with your decision....more
Molly Taylor
Picked this up at LLL meeting after asking the group for their thoughts on night weaning. Read the whole book (it's short) even though there were all of ten pages on how to night wean(which incidentally are prefaced by the authors stating you really shouldn't do it, but if you feel you must, here's how to do it humanely). I'm certainly not a cry-it-out momma and I will confess that one baby makes her way into my bed most nights for a little while. But I also feel like I have limits and needs mys...more
Inder
Let's say, hypothetically speaking, that you went with the family bed because your baby would not sleep in a crib to save your life, and now you've gotten used to it, but your child continues to wake up approximately one million times per night to nurse and you are tired of being a 24 hour all night wet bar? This book offers this helpful advice: Cosleeping babies nurse a lot; learn to live with it.

Sigh.

I did appreciate the section on safety (cosleeping is as safe or safer than crib sleeping) and...more
Christy Ford
Bah.
This is really a book on 'why not to use cry it out techniques'. If I was considering those, I probably wouldn't have picked up a book subtitled 'Guide to the Family Bed', now would I?
It spent significantly more time explaining and rebutting arguments from the opposition than it did on how to actually implement what it does recommend. Practical information was preciously thin - pretty much one chapter, which contained nothing that isn't already easily available on James McKenna's website.
It...more
Sonya Feher
• Good Nights’ first chapter is the best answer I’ve ever read as to why one should bed-share. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who was questioning whether co-sleeping or bed-sharing was for them. My reservation with this book is that the chapter on how to safely bed-share actually makes it sound like nothing is really safe and might actually scare people out of bed-sharing. Since I’d been bed-sharing for a year and a half before reading this book, I didn’t feel like it had anyth...more
E.d.
Awesome book with plenty of scientific references that backs up co-sleeping. This book says co-sleeping is the best thing for the baby and how there is no such thing as 'teaching' the baby to sleep on their own.
Lea Minniti
It offered a lot of positive and important educational information about co-sleeping, but painted too rosy of a picture of it, in my opinion. What about babies who don't blissfully sleep through the night in mom's arms? What about 9 month old babies who thrash and cry and wake up 5 or more times per night and do not simply nurse without rousing mama then fall back asleep? I wanted some tactics for challenges when co-sleeping, but didn't really get them. So, in a way, it affirmed our decision to...more
Kelly
I was looking for a co-sleeping book that included practical advice for making the transition out of the family bed. This book has plenty of practical advice on that topic and many other common co-sleeping concerns! I got it from the library, but I'm going to order a copy to own so we can have it as a reference if we need it.[return][return]My favorite parts are a FAQ with common questions about co-sleeping issues and advice on how to address them, a chapter about how to maintain intimacy with y...more
Chelsea
I got this because I was getting a lot of unsolicited advice about sleeping habits and the cry-it-out method. We had decided to co-sleep and were loving it but still working out some of the kinks.
I liked the advice they gave but didn't feel like it was anything new from what I had already read online or discussed with co-sleeping friends. He devotes a great deal of page space to intimacy with your partner which seemed to muddle the questions I had about my baby's sleeping habits. Also, and this...more
Callie
Nothing here that I haven't already figured out on my own w/first 3 kids.
Harmony
Thought this was good book for the most part. A definate read if you are considering the family bed. I like his take on there being middle ground and LOTS of suggestions for how to do things. Very respectful - he says right out that if anyone in the family is uncomfortable with the concept or can't sleep that you should reconcider if the family bed is right for you. Some chapters I found less helpful but enjoyed the book as a whole.
Amy
Jun 29, 2009 Amy rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any soon-to-be parent, new parent, or already co-sleeping parents.
Shelves: 2009, parenting, own
I enjoyed this book. It was a quick read. I'll be keeping it just for a few references (i.e. transitioning out of the family bed). Much of the advice offered seemed common sense, at least for me, but it's reassuring to know that our parenting choices aren't completely out of line with other people. I think it would have been more meaningful for me if I would have read it before the baby came, though.
Leynadawn
Again, I enjoyed the book because it made me feel good and well grounded in our parenting approach; however, it didn't give any new info or advice for parents who enjoy co sleeping but also want their baby to learn to sleep better. We do a part crib part family bed approach at our house and they didn't mention this once. The testimonials from "family bed graduates" were very fun to read. Oh well, I tried!
Mindee Boling
I LOVE this book! It teaches all about the physical, emotional and psychological needs of a baby and the benefits of the family bed. Even if you think co-sleeping with your baby isn't for you, I recommend reading the book and learning what you can; it may just change your mind, and get you a better night's sleep in the process.
Stefanie
at the time, I wanted this book to offer a look into the future of what the family bed would be like over time, and answer any unanswered questions I had. looking back at it now, I think it did a great job of cementing my belief- and helping my case when trying to convince my husband that we should stick with it as well. : )
Sesha
This book changed my mind about sleeping with my little one. I had no idea the impact our culture has on co-sleeping. I highly recommend for new moms and dads!
Sirpa
Nice book written by a pediatrician about co-sleeping. Helps to feel good about the decision to sleep in a familybed and handle other people's criticism.
Monique
This book made me feel good about the decision to let our daughter sleep with us -- instead of feeling guilty about it all the time.
Sally
It's nice that someone finally wrote a simple book on attachment night-time parenting that is accessible and friendly.
Aspasia
Of the four books on co-sleeping I read for my term paper, I think this was the best one.
Marie
Affirming the benefits of the family bed and attachment parenting.
Dolly
Jul 05, 2008 Dolly rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents
Great advice for parents who want to practice attachment parenting
Nuha
Nuha marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Soldier Dogs The Dog Lover's Companion to California: The Inside Scoop on Where to Take Your Dog The Dog Lover's Companion to the San Francisco Bay Area: The Inside Scoop on Where to Take Your Dog in the Bay Area & Beyond The Dog Lover's Companion to Los Angeles: Including Ventura, L.A., Orange, San Bernardino, and Riverside Counties Travelers' Tales - A Dog's World