Start by marking “Freedom: The Courage to Be Yourself” as Want to Read:
Freedom: The Courage to Be Yourself

Freedom: The Courage to Be Yourself (Osho Insights for a new way of living )

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  987 ratings  ·  34 reviews
In Freedom, Osho outlines three stages of freedom. The first is "freedom from," which is a freedom that comes from breaking out of what he calls the "psychological slavery" imposed by outside forces such as parents, society, or religion. The next stage is "freedom for," a positive freedom that comes from embracing and creating something---a fulfilling relationship, for exa...more
Published April 1st 2007 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Freedom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Freedom

Daniel
"Osho is described by American author Tom Robbins as 'the most dangerous man since Jesus Christ'.
This book is a paradigm shifter. Read it with an open mind and see what happens. At first- it made me angry, confused and defensive. This changed within a quarter of its pages.
Whether or not you agree with what this man has to say, I would implore anyone to challenge themselves to his insights.
This book has helped greatly to shift my points of view into something... different. Dangerous for sure.
Alexander
I enjoy reading Osho's books, even though they do get repetitive (for a good reason). This book introduced me to a few interesting concepts: "freedom for", and "three dimensions of freedom". Given that for Osho (and I agree with him) freedom is the ultimate goal, the topic of freedom is a very important topic. Surprisingly I was thinking very little about this topic before (yet another stab into self-hypocrisy). Great read.
Michelle
I love Osho but his books tend to be repetitive. So the only negative thing I can say about his book(s) is that he tends to repeat himself over and over. The message is clear and concise. He describes the 3 stages of freedom. When you read this book it becomes clear how all of us have been slaves to the opinion of others, even when we think we aren't. Osho gives us guidance in how to escape.
Angela
Great thought provoking book.
He presented ideas that occurred to me before but I was not able to grasp completely. The concept of camel – Lion – Child was an eye opener and hopefully I will be able to stop being a lion and transition into a child :)
“My vision of Freedom is to be yourself”
Filipa
O Osho tem-se revelado uma espécie de mestre/referência para mim, nos últimos tempos, pelos mais variados motivos. Quando comecei a ler as obras dele, ainda mais. Isto porque apesar dos seus livros serem compilações de palestras e conferências que ele deu ao longo da sua vida, não perdem nenhum valor por isso e não deixam de ser pequenos grandes tesouros.
Na verdade, há que ser dito que estes livros não são mais que a insistência em alguns conceitos-chave. Conceitos que nós tendemos a pôr de lad...more
Abdulmajeed_1
أنهيت قرأت الفصل الأول فقط من الكتاب .. وهو أول كتاب اقرأه لـ Osho
لم يعجبني أنه تطرق في أكثر من موضع أن التعاليم الدينية تقييد الإنسان عن الحرية التي يدعو لها

بالإضافة ظهر لي ضعف معرفتة بالتعاليم الإسلامية خصوصاً عندما قال :
"في الإسلام عندما تَقتُل شخصاً فلايجب أن تشعر بالعار والذنب لأن المقتول سيذهب إلى الجنة لأنه قُتِل على يد أتباع محمد" ؟؟؟

كلام فارغ
Emil
Люблю Ошо, один из немногих челов, который не пишет откровенную чушь в этом жанре. В "этом" - это в не понятно каком.
Насколько понял, это книжка собрана из отрывков других его книжек, поэтому здесь много повторов, и текста, который вы уже прочитали в других его работах.

Вообще, здесь довольно много воды, но всё это дело стоит прочитать хотя бы из-за разбора вопроса "ощущения скуки", когда вы, типа, достигли "свободы от". В других книгах разбора этого момента не встречал.
Abhishek Malviya
Just to give rebelling thoughts/philosophy doesn't means that its a good thought. Today, people think that if any philosophy is new than it is good. If it is completely out of box than it should be tried once. Take one from me and try once, Stop drinking anything for one month and you will save water for hundreds of people.
Short stories are meant for supporting the spot. But most of the short stories we nowhere related.
Few article must be appreciated. But as whole it is a pudding made of ill fl...more
Timtimgains
How do I download and read?
Linda Lielvārde
Brīvība sev līdzi nes arī atbildību.

Jo tad pie visa vainīgs esi tu pats un tavi lēmumi, viss ir tikai tevis paša darbības vai bezdarbības sekas.

Nav, uz ko novelt atbildību.

Brīvība sākas tevī pašā. Tas ir apziņas jautājums.

Arī ģimenē svarīgi vienam otru nepiesiet, bet gan tieši otrādi - palīdzēt otram realizēt savu brīvību.

Bērnam iemācīt, parādīt, ka ir izvēles iespēja, ka katra izvēle nes līdzi sekas, par ko pašam jāuzņemas pilna atbildība. Neizdarīt izvēles bērna vietā.
Dee
An eye opening book on the freedom of the individual, talks about the conditioning of each and every human being and about the difference between freedom from, and freedom for. Such an amazing books that i think should be read by everyone whether agreeing with all his thoughts or not. He tends to repeat a lot which might be the only thing that got this book 4 stars instead of 5.
Joeskin Thaweesut
As one might expect, Osho blended Western and Eastern philosophy in an unsystematic form...repetitive and easy to read. A lot of his ideas are borrowed from existentialism and Nietzsche. However, his interpretation of Nietzsche is wrong and unacceptable. If you're familiar with existentialism and a fan Nietzsche...you may as well find this book a charade.
Keshav Prasad
You wil understand what real freedom is. Also throws a good insight on how you should help your children grow up. Conditioning is bad!!! Let them live the way god has made it for. Don't make them like you. Be there to protect and let them to not make the same mistakes. At the end, you must read this or any books from Osho in the right spirit.
Janel
Most rebellious and thought-provoking book I've read in a long, long while. I plan to read an Osho book once every year so that I have a chance to absorb the wisdom annually. Only read if you are truly open-minded to learning about real freedom and not offended by discussions of religion.
Tyrone Martin
It was a pretty good book that dealt with the philosophy of freedom. I really enjoyed the first half of the book and it had some great insights. However I felt that the second half was repetitive and became dry. Overall it's a nice short book that I would recommend who're into that sort of thing.
Polina
Lots of great ideas and exploration of various dimensions and interpretations of freedom. Would have been 5 stars but I got frustrated with the deletion of the same points over and over again in almost precisely the same words in a number of chapters throughout the book.
Munkhbayar Baatarkhuu
A Jigsaw Picture. But a nice one. Again would I like to say: Damn you St.Martin's Griffin. Don't drop the jokes out, you f'''ing idiots ruin the whole thing. It was like eating bread without butter, jam and sugar. But the bread was tasty which I should say.
jewelthinks
i love osho -- contradictions and all -- but this book was harder to read and understand than the 3 others that i've read. it was just too all over the place.
Adrienne S.
Oct 09, 2009 Adrienne S. rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the open minded
Recommended to Adrienne S. by: no one
Good book. Osho books can be repetitive, so if you keep that in mind there is alot to get out of it. I have to put this one down, since I think I lost it?
Benjamin Zapata
Reading this book could be one of your first step on your way to true freedom,....as always with Osho,very powerful and very controversial wisdom!
Bassemah
Profound honesty and insight with important arguments and some repetition and restatements that simply went on too long.
Cole Soderburg
These books feel like broken records if you read too many, but his perspectives are interesting and worth reading.
Erin
I don't agree with everything Osho says here. But some interesting thoughts. Good reflection.
drozda
He's got it goin' on...breaks through all the ways we try to stay small and whimpering.
John
Nice, out of the box kind of thinking though not agreeing with all the ideas within.
Kapil
You will either love this book or hate it. My advise, read it with an open mind.
Tony Kaldas
Osho as usual is a person who always gives you the truth in your face!
Vanessa
Osho always help to make us think differently. I love his books.
Aryne Hornsby
It's Osho, so you know it's good!
  • Become What You Are
  • Oneness With All Life Treasury Edition: Inspirational Selections from A New Earth
  • Total Freedom: The Essential Krishnamurti
  • The End of Your World: Uncensored Straight Talk on the Nature of Enlightenment
  • The Book of Mirdad: The Strange Story of a Monastery Which Was Once Called the Ark
  • Wen-Tzu
  • What God Wants: A Compelling Answer to Humanity's Biggest Question
  • Never Let Go: A Philosophy of Lifting, Living and Learning
  • Character Analysis
  • The Diamond in Your Pocket: Discovering Your True Radiance
  • I'm Not Crazy, I'm Just Not You: The Real Meaning of the Sixteen Personality Types
  • Man's Search for Himself
  • Religions, Values, and Peak-Experiences
  • On Old Age, On Friendship & On Divination
  • Awakening the Buddhist Heart: Integrating Love, Meaning, and Connection into Every Part of Your Life
  • The Hidden Words
  • Narcissism: Denial of the True Self
  • The Tao Is Silent
One of the most provocative and inspiring spiritual teachers of the twentieth century, Osho defies categorization - reflecting everything from the individual quest for meaning to the most urgent social and political issues facing society today. His books are not written but are transcribed from recordings of extemporaneous talks given over a period of thirty-five years. Osho has been described by...more
More about Osho...
Courage: The Joy of Living Dangerously Love, Freedom, and Aloneness: The Koan of Relationships The Book of Secrets (Vigyan Bhairav Tantra ) Creativity: Unleashing the Forces Within Intuition: Knowing Beyond Logic

“Memoria este scribul sufletului.” 0 likes