Start by marking “Responsive Web Design” as Want to Read:
Responsive Web Design

Responsive Web Design (A Book Apart #4)

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  2,060 ratings  ·  190 reviews
From mobile browsers to netbooks and tablets, users are visiting your sites from an increasing array of devices and browsers. Are your designs ready? Learn how to think beyond the desktop and craft beautiful designs that anticipate and respond to your users’ needs. Ethan Marcotte will explore CSS techniques and design principles, including fluid grids, flexible images, and ...more
Published June 7th 2011 by A Book Apart (first published March 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Responsive Web Design, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Responsive Web Design

Responsive Web Design by Ethan MarcotteDesigning for Emotion by Aarron WalterHTML5 for Web Designers by Jeremy KeithMobile First by Luke WroblewskiCSS3 For Web Designers by Dan Cederholm
A Book Apart
1st out of 13 books — 22 voters
Content Strategy for the Web by Kristina HalvorsonHTML5 for Web Designers by Jeremy KeithDesigning with Web Standards by Jeffrey ZeldmanWeb Form Design by Luke WroblewskiBulletproof Web Design by Dan Cederholm
An Event Apart
7th out of 44 books — 26 voters

More lists with this book...

Elaine Nelson
A very short book; I think it took me an hour or so to read all the way through. BUT...it brings together all the threads of the Responsive Web Design concept in a clear and useful way. (He's self-deprecating about it, but the math for calculating a flexible grid's proportions based on a pixel grid is easy and just what I needed.) I ended the book fired up to do design this way from now on, and to go back and update sites I already have out there. Great color screenshots, easy-to-read code. And ...more
Matt McClard
Silly comment reader, don't read this comment when you could be reading the book this comment is about. It's awesome and might change web development for the better for the rest of humanity and you are just wasting time reading a review that has little to nothing to do with it.

Seriously, go read the book. You could have already read the first page by now.
Stringy
Jun 24, 2011 Stringy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: front-end web developers
Like all the previous items from A Book Apart, this is concise, useful and finds room for a little humour too. This one is about making websites that will cope with the multitude of different browser sizes and contexts web developers have to deal with these days.

I've read almost all the articles Marcotte references, and had started using some of the principles before beginning this book. But Marcotte brings them altogether in a way that has thoroughly convinced me to give up on merely elastic la
Corey Capetillo
I've just finished going through the book and it's examples. It's quite handy in that it's collected several techniques for building a 'responsive' layout design. However, only look to this book for theory and history. This is NOT a step-by-step guide in building a responsive site from scratch. Previous experience in HTML, CSS, and Javascript is highly recommended.

See, this book has been written like many of the web development (html/css/js/php) tutorials you can find online by simply performing
Jeb
Ugh.
This book was uselessly beginnerish.
I can't imagine that anyone who'd pick this book up would be less than an intermediate Web designer. Beginners are way too focused on the functionality of their products to really think much of design beyond the basics. This book is targeted toward them and they're not going to read it.
Adam Wiggins
Responsive web design is the idea that, when creating a web page, it should work seamlessly and correctly on all screen sizes and devices, from an iPhone or Android phone up through a widescreen desktop computer. But with so many computing devices available today (and many more coming in the future), you can't hope to customize the experience for each device.

Instead, the page's HTML, CSS, and Javascript should adapt to the device's reported capabilities. This book uses an example site to demonst
Graham Herrli
Finally a book written by a designer who can actually write. Ethan Marcotte has a lively style, supporting his statements with vibrant anecdotes, analogies, jokes, and concrete examples. He grounds the book in traditional architecture and art history just enough to give it depth without detracting from its focus of responsive web design.

My favorite quotation from the book is:
Pretend for a moment that you're working as a front-end developer. (If you're already a front-end developer, well, prete
Steve
Is it too soon to call this book seminal? A decade ago, Jeffrey Zeldman's Designing WIth Web Standards certainly fit that description, convincing many of us to drop our table-based layouts in favour of accessible, standards-compliant CSS layouts. By my estimation Ethan Marcotte's 'Responsive Web Design' looks set to become just as formative by calling for another new approach to designing websites - this time, one better suited to the ever-increasing number of devices and browsers that people us ...more
Chris
I found the whole book particularly interesting and believe anyone web-business-related can benefit from reading it.

Why I find it interesting? Because:

1. The book is technical enough for dev people not to get bored when reading, but covers all the fundaments: fluid coding (em, %), media-queries, progressive enhancement rather than degradation. (Chapters II - IV)

2. The book is not technical to much for designers - going through 'technical' part of the book gives design-heads an idea of what dev
Davy
(3.5) Finally finished this book again! When I had read this the first time, I didn't notice the bit regarding working with engineering collaboratively, but I appreciated the recommendation to get to a live prototype in code and iterate the design with engineering, rather than spinning your wheels in a design tool.

This was a good updated primer for RWD, but I think the Responsible Responsive book has more tactical knowledge for engineers looking to implement responsive designs.
Reido
Web design is a field that's always progressing with time. And as a web designer it might seem intimidating. Because new standards are brought into play every 3 years, of even sooner. So it's a field that in which reinventing your self is is not an option. This book goes over the new creative method for designing websites that's sustainable for creating pages for all different devices. I would say if your feeling alarmed about approaching this new coding method. Don't be. Ethan Marcotte makes hi ...more
Mina_rrat
For everybody who has not read this book yet and would like to know more about responsive web design, I would highly recommend it to you. I cannot compare it with other books of this kind as I have not read any others, but I can draw my conclusions by the content I have read.

I liked it. Much. It was both helpful, easy-going and humorous because you had the feeling the author was really talking to you.

Well, okay. I suppose we can clean that up. If it’s really bothering you, I mean.

Besides, he us
Carlos
Excelente libro introduccion al responsive web design. Lo que me gustó es que es muy conceptual y los ejemplos técnicos de como implementarlo son bastante puntuales y ejemplificadores. Me imagino que a la hora de realizar una aplicación completa es necesario saber mucho más que eso, pero lo bueno de este libro es el enfoque desde el punto de vista del diseño y no solo del código.
Jason Zimdars
Highly recommended. Along with HTML5 For Web Designers, it is easily the best of "A Book Apart" offerings. It's a quick read with concrete examples –you can start using what you learn here immediately. It is well written and even funny at times. ...more
Kevin
A really well written and thoroughly illustrated conceptualization of responsive web design. This is a book for coders and non-coders alike that provides ammunition for the fight to redevelop organizational websites that can be accessed device nonspecifically. A very good read if you're in the throes of working on a new website and would like it to function universally.
Jason
I thoroughly enjoyed reading the first edition of this landmark treatise. But I have to say I'm a little disappointed in this second edition. While the original book is merely three years old, it suffers a bit with outdated examples, as most books dealing with web-related topics tend to do. The opportunity to do some heavy updating to the supporting examples and details for this edition was sorely missed, and the result is a odd mixture of old and new that is heavily weighted by the latter.

None
James Cridland
I don't normally buy books like this, but this is a great tutorial into proper responsive web design; very well written and simple to understand. I've not finished it - because halfway through everything kind of "clicked" and I could do the job I wanted to do. I'd recommended it.
William Cline
Pretty good introduction to responsive Web design. Strikes the right balance between principles and concrete application.

It could use an update; my edition doesn't discuss CSS flexbox. Maybe the author can cut out all the cheesy jokes while he's at it.
Paul
A good overview of responsive design; however, when you got to the end and the issue of mobile-first design arose, it felt a little as if the rest of the book took you to a partial dead end.
Ricardo Rocha
Great book, It helps to understand why Responsive web design is important now a days, and gives some code that helps understand the concept and implementing the idea.
Michelle Lynne
This book is incredibly informative. Marcotte uses the perfect amount of images to help support the text, and the perfect amount of humour to get the reader through a nonfiction book about writing code. This book is for people who know basic HTML and CSS (he doesn't get into explaining the basics, so you need to know them), but I have very basic knowledge of both HTML and CSS, and I found that he explained this responsive method in a way that made it super easy to understand and made me think I ...more
Bill DePhillips
Even though it's intentionally brief, I actually thought this book was way too long for the subject matter. If you know nothing about responsive design or fluid layouts, you might appreciate going through the author's case study website at a very slow pace, but for anyone who has done modern web design, I felt like I had seen this all before. I also didn't really care for the writing style of the author. A lot of the cheesy attempts at humor just slowed down the already slow pace.

Instead of this
Angela
Sep 02, 2012 Angela added it
It's so good! cool!
Matt
In "Reponsive Web Design", Ethan Marcotte provides an introduction to the oncept of, well, responsive web design - mostly by example. Over the course of the book, he walks through the design of a website, starting by implementing (via HTML and CSS) an exact duplicate of an original design. Then, he introduces various problems with static web pages, and demonstrates how to make the example page more responsive. (Problems include larger or smaller than expected browser windows, mobile phone and ta ...more
A
Feb 04, 2014 A rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: web designers new to responsive web design
Recommended to A by: Steve Struemph
Shelves: 2013
A friend gave me a copy of this when he heard I got a job as an in-house web designer and would be focusing on redesigning websites to be more responsive. I only just barely understood what responsive design was when I started reading this book, but by the end of it I had a clear sense of the principles and how they could be implemented.

If you're a web designer and know a little about responsive design, then you're at least aware of Marcotte's 2010 article on the subject, on which this book is b
Eugene Kravtsov
Good overview of responsive design approach. I had been reading on the topic for a little while (including some of the articles referenced in this book), but it seemed to me very advanced, arcane even, and I was hesitant to plunge into it (general designing with web standards given the constraints of the popular CM systems is difficult enough). After reading this book, however, I see that it is not as dark as I had painted it.

Mr. Marcotte starts out by making the case for responsive web design a
Alison
I am a designer who doesn't code; at my job the design team works closely with the development team when designing a website. I maintain a rough familiarity with how HTML, CSS, and JavaScript are used to build out a site, so that the sketches, and later the designs, I show the developers are conceived with an understanding of the possibilities and likely to need few major changes in order to reach fruition.

This book is a wonderfully concise and beautifully written (read: inspiring!) overview of
Karen Mardahl
I read this book for the UX Book Club Copenhagen, and we'll discuss it in 2 days time.

The book itself is a delight to read. It's easy to get through, well laid out, conversational language, clear examples. I mean, if Jason Santa Maria helped to design it, that is kind of cheating. :) I mean, he's a superstar designer.
I like the shortlinks system used in the book. And... it's nice that the long form is spelled out at the back of the book. The shortlink text is really easy to remember. If any get
Lior
I had the opportunity to read some snippets of text from this book before purchasing the real deal. The book is well written and is a pleasure to read. It introduces you to the history of the web medium and projects some of the reasons why a designer/developer would want to consider building a fluid grid design based website.

The concepts presented in the book are easy enough to follow and come with little code snippets that help illustrate the task at hand. It has wonderful pretty pictures showi
Ryan
Responsive Web Design is the fourth in the great series of short books about web design published by A Book Apart. Ethan Marcotte's book is forward-thinking and provocative, effectively asking the roughly twenty-year-old web design field to shift course and approach the craft in entirely a new way.

Marcotte suggests that with the web flourishing on an unpredictable series of sizes and formats — iPhones, tablets, Kindles, ultra widescreen displays, etc. — designers and developers should work toge
Who wants a complete professional website with an intro video? 1 1 Apr 17, 2015 08:57AM
Web Design 1 7 Feb 08, 2014 02:18AM
  • A Practical Guide to Designing for the Web
  • On Web Typography
  • CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standards Solutions
  • Just Enough Research
  • Rocket Surgery Made Easy: The Do-It-Yourself Guide to Finding and Fixing Usability Problems
  • The Elements of User Experience: User-Centered Design for the Web
  • Content Strategy for the Web

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

A Book Apart (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • HTML5 for Web Designers
  • Content Strategy for Mobile
  • Just Enough Research
  • Sass for Web Designers
  • On Web Typography
CSS3 For Web Designers Designing with Web Standards Handcrafted CSS: More Bulletproof Web Design / Bulletproof Essentials The Manual, Volume 3 Handcrafted CSS: More Bulletproof Web Design

“If you're already a front-end developer, well, pretend you're also wearing a pirate hat.” 2 likes