Start by marking “The Lion in Autumn: A Season with Joe Paterno and Penn State Football” as Want to Read:
The Lion in Autumn: A Season with Joe Paterno and Penn State Football

The Lion in Autumn: A Season with Joe Paterno and Penn State Football

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  7 reviews
"Fascinating. . . . One of the best books ever written on the rise and fall of a great college football coach."
-Allen Barra, "San Francisco Chronicle"
"The Lion in Autumn" takes readers inside Penn State's storied football program as legendary coach Joe Paterno fights to turn his struggling team into a winner once again. In more than a half century at Penn State, Paterno h
Published September 1st 2005 by Gotham Books

To ask other readers questions about The Lion in Autumn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lion in Autumn

May 31, 2012 Janelle rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Penn State fans
Shelves: nonfiction
This book took me a looong time to read (I started it when Joe was still alive) and I'm not exactly sure why. It's probably not the best Joe Paterno book out there, and certainly is obsolete in some ways. It gives a really great in-depth look at Joe's every day life. Being a Penn State parent (Beth Ann, class of '11) it was nice to read about all of the iconic State College and PSU campus images that I know so well. The book seemed rather disjointed at times, with random anecdotes thrown in here ...more
Story of Penn State Coach Joe Paterno and the ups and downs of the 2004 football season in which Penn State had a losing record. Story of Coach Paterno at the twilight of his incredible career and what he built and what he sought to rebuild. Especially interesting book to me given the success Penn State would have during the 2005 football season.
this was a pretty interesting book. but having attended penn state during this time period, most of the information wasn't anything new. However, Fitzpatrick's theory for the decline of the football program being linked to the decline of coal mining in Pennsylvania and surrounding areas is well-worth the read.
Justin Bastide
This was one of my all time favorite books. It tells you everything about Penn State and Joe Paterno. As a Penn State fan this was one of my all time favorite books.
Bj Biringer
A great book that further chronicles the great career of Joe Pa
Max marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Lauren is currently reading it
Nov 15, 2015
Nathan marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2015
Morgan Brough
Morgan Brough marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2015
Joseph Haas
Joseph Haas marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
Adriana Lacy
Adriana Lacy is currently reading it
Jun 05, 2015
Rachel Schreiber
Rachel Schreiber marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Waylon Glunt
Waylon Glunt marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Ed marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Shawn marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014