Start by marking “Bagels from Benny” as Want to Read:
Bagels from Benny

Bagels from Benny

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  102 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Benny loves to help out at his grandpa's bakery in the morning, and the customers love the crusty bagels with their soft insides. When Grandpa explains to Benny that God, not him, should be thanked for the wonderful bagels, Benny sets out to do just that. He decides to leave God a bagful of bagels in the synagogue at the end of each week. And each week God eats the bagels ...more
Published September 1st 2005 by Kids Can Press (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Bagels from Benny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bagels from Benny

Brittany Trinh
Apr 18, 2016 Brittany Trinh rated it really liked it
Shelves: project-1
APA:
Davis, A., & Petričić, D. (2003). Bagels from Benny. Toronto, ON: Kids Can Press.

Review: Benny is a little boy who enjoys waking up early and helping his grandpa out at the bakery. His grandpa’s bagels are famously known for their deliciousness. Benny seeks to thank his grandpa for the delicious bagels, but his grandpa stops him. Benny’s grandpa explains that God is whom Benny should thank for the bagels. To show his appreciation, Benny goes to a local synagogue and leaves a bag of bage
Whole And
May 08, 2014 Whole And rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books

Brilliant story.

A bold young boy personally wants to thank God for the bagels his grandpa makes in his bakery, because that's who grandpa graciously thanks every time someone compliments his baked goods. Benny thanks God by placing a bag of bagels once a week in an unorthodox place, thinking God is gobbling them up every week. Benny is first disappointed to find out who has been receiving his bagels and then grateful to discover how God works.

I love love love this story for the values imparted t
Kate
Jun 21, 2010 Kate rated it it was amazing
This book made me laugh and cry as I read it to my kids. While this is a Jewish tale, it doesn't matter which religion (or no religion) you are, it's a good story about how helping people enriches your life.
Alice
Sep 14, 2015 Alice rated it really liked it
I want to give this book a higher rating...like a 4.5 but I am not going to-- Thankfully I am at work and can't cry but this book is great!! I LOVE the message, I love pure heart of the boy!! I love the reciprocity, I love the Jewish element .. (I need a good Bagel Place in town...but NOOOO!! )

Why I can't give it a higher rating is on a matter of belief. I believe God doesn't need food, and doesn't have a stomach, but he has a mouth. In fact I believe I am created to look like his basic structu
Dina Guardado
Oct 02, 2015 Dina Guardado rated it it was amazing
This is a really good book about a boy who
thinks he is giving bagels to god, but really
a homeless man is getting the bagels.
At the end of the book the homeless man has
gotten a job. YAY!
Danielle
Oct 29, 2014 Danielle rated it it was amazing
Read this with Tommy last night. A story of wanting to tell God thank you and by helping other you do so.
Amy Yount
Shelves: llls-5533
week 7
Gandalf Grey
Jan 09, 2014 Gandalf Grey rated it it was amazing
When I was younger, my mom used to read this book to me all the time, and I loved it. It is a very cute book and I recommend that every child from 3-7 should read it or have it read to them.
Hilary
Apr 21, 2009 Hilary rated it liked it
The lesson to be taken from this story is that by making the world better, we show our thanks to God. The pictures are bland; I don't think children will find them very appealing. However, the simple Jewish folktale from Spain provides an solid choice when selecting material to encourage human kindness and generosity of spirit in youngsters.
Hester Rathbone
Mar 03, 2013 Hester Rathbone rated it really liked it
Shelves: home
One of the things I've always loved is the concept of doing for others ("tzedakah") and how each little action has meaning and thus, we need to do things with our whole hearts. I think this is a really lovely portrayal of how hard it is for children to begin to grasp the concept of God, let alone how hard it is for grown-ups to explain it!
Samantha
Jun 06, 2011 Samantha rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book. The illustrations are calming. I think that it was really accurate in the way Benny's thoughts progress too. If I were a child, I would think to do the same thing with the bagels, although I might have been more cautious than Benny.
Melissa
Jul 11, 2012 Melissa rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful story about a little boy, in an effort to show gratitude to God, unknowingly helps someone in need and realizes that it is the best way to show our thanks. Such a wonderfully written story, very powerful. LOVE!
David Basior
Jun 07, 2013 David Basior rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
While I LOVE this book, I substitute the word "God" for all the male pronouns used when talking about God.
Jen
Oct 22, 2011 Jen rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime
This is a touching tale about the surprising ways in which God acknowledges our prayers.
Tammy Dabros-Wulf / Talymada TheLuckyLibrarian
A great book to act out as a play with kids. Then make your own bagels to share.
Taylor Baker-Gower
Mar 14, 2016 Taylor Baker-Gower rated it liked it
Overtly religious, but very sweet.
May 20, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-childrens
beautiful children's picture book.
Cecilia
Oct 16, 2013 Cecilia rated it it was amazing
Very sweet book. I cried at the end. :)
Susan
Sep 10, 2010 Susan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books-jp
LOVED this.
TTFLS
TTFLS marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Lauren
Lauren added it
Apr 15, 2016
Emily Poland
Emily Poland rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2016
Nicole Pflum
Nicole Pflum marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
Jill
Jill added it
Feb 18, 2016
Ashley Whitaker
Ashley Whitaker marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
Laura rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
I always loved to read. As a boy I had a passion for myths, bible stories, science fiction and Mad magazine. My neighbor was a writer for CBC. Maybe I caught the writing bug from him. I loved to write funny stories. My Grade six teacher liked them. But my Grade eight teacher hated them. So I stopped writing creatively until I was 42.
In 1970, I traveled across Europe and North Africa and discovered
More about Aubrey Davis...